Iva Mekovec cheering thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Iva Mekovec cheering thread

Another star on the horizon...

NAME: Iva Mekovec
DOB: 22/02/1995
PLAYS: right handed (double handed backhand)
FAVORITE SURFACE: hard
COACH: Neven Brodar
AGE STARTED TENNIS: 5

Stronger results so far:

JUNIORS
QF of Radenska Open (G4)
R2 from qualies of Airberlin German Juniors (G1)
QF of Empire Cup (G4)
R2 from qualies of City of Florence International (G2)
QF from qualies of Epitok-IDOM Cup (G2)
QF of Grawe Junior Cup (G4)
SF of Radenci (G4)

SENIORS
- QR4 of 2010 Hvar 10k
- R2 from qualies of 2011 Bol 10k (including a straight set win over the 2nd seed of main draw and world #226, Julia Mayr)
- most recent, QF of 2011 Hvar 10k and she's still in the competition; in R1 she beat WTA #739 Emma Flood 6:3, 6:2 (this same girl beat her last year in Bol 10k 6:2, 6:2), while in R2 she took out the third seed Paola Cigui (WTA #479, c-h #406) 6:0, 4:6, 6:3; Cigui beat Mekovec last year in Bol 10k by the score 6:2, 6:2.

With the points from R2 of two 10k's earned in the past 6 months, and this QF of Hvar, Iva should get a ranking in about two weeks time.

Last edited by ma re : Apr 22nd, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
ma re is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2
country flag tennismaster8820
Sprem believer! :shrug:

tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute tennismaster8820 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Iva Mekovec cheering thread

Love to follow new young players!
Good luck to Iva!
tennismaster8820 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
With the points from R2 of two 10k's last year and this QF of Hvar, Iva should get a ranking in about two weeks time.
Congratulations to Iva! It'll be very nice to have two newly ranked players (Iva and Donna).

Iva's juniors results aren't particularly impressive (CH #320). However, her win last week against Mayr (#226) and this week against Cigui (#479) are very promising.

Best of luck to Iva!
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:50 AM   #4
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Her next opponent, M. Gaud, is currently just a few spots away from her best ever ranking of 669, and is also 10 years older. However, this is a chance for Iva to continue her streak of revenges here in Hvar, cause Gaud also beat her (last week in R2 of Bol 10k), the score was 6:4, 6:2. Let's hope she can equal this h2h as well In case of a win, we'd have a potentially very interesting match-up against the winner of Vekic vs. Radovanovic.

Good luck!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
country flag ma re

Iva lost to Gaud again, and she again got 6 games out of it - this time it was 6:3, 6:3. Of course, this is no disaster and there's plenty of time for her to achieve great results. Looking forward to seeing her on the pro circuit again
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:52 AM   #6
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Iva enters the WTA rankings for the first time this week. She's at #1082. Best of luck to her as she embarks on her career.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM   #7
country flag ma re

Congrats!
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #8
country flag networthy

Good news: This weekend Iva qualified for the Bonfiglio MD (juniors tournament)! That's a solid accomplishment since Bonfiglio is a GA tournament and Iva had to beat two seeded players:

QR1: def. ORLANDI, Camilla (ITA) 60 60
QR2: def. (16) SHULZHANOK, Darya (BLR) 63 64
FQR: def. (6) FLINK, Varvara (RUS) 61 46 60

In MR1 she plays VASILYEVA (#122). Good luck, Iva!
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #9
country flag ma re

Well, considering that most of these girls were higher ranked than Iva and that one of them was also two years older, this is a nice string of wins.
R1 seems winnable (girl ranked close to Iva's QR3 opponent, but older), but in R2 Iva could face a really tough challenge and a real test - the fifth seed Kowase, who is the same age as Iva but already at #15 in the junior rankings.
Still, even with just these three wins, Iva is sure to rise some 90 ranking spots (to around #360), and in case of another win it could be up to around #345.

Ajmo Iva
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #10
country flag networthy

Quote:
R1 seems winnable (girl ranked close to Iva's QR3 opponent, but older)
I didn't think she would do it but Iva pulled off the surprise:

Bonfiglio, R1: Iva MEKOVEC (CRO) defeated Liubov VASILYEVA (RUS) 6-4 6-2

Congratulation, Iva! Very nice win: in straight sets against a player ranked close to the top 100.

Quote:
in R2 Iva could face a really tough challenge and a real test - the fifth seed Kowase, who is the same age as Iva but already at #15 in the junior rankings.
Kowase was crushed 61 61 by Elena-Teodora CADAR (#59) Best of luck against her tomorrow, Iva!
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #11
country flag ma re

^^Great news! Goes to show Iva is much better than her ranking suggests. It'll be interesting to see how she does in R2, although I can't understand what happened to Kowase that she lost so easily (maybe sickness or something, or just a bad day). Unfortunately Iva won't get to even play qualies of Paris, but it would be nice to see her alongside Vekic in the main draw of at least one junior slam this year.

Also, my understanding and following of junior tennis is obviously not extensive enough, cause what I wrote above about her move up the rankings is wrong by quite a bit. First of all, I didn't realize that she played G1 in Santa Croce earlier this month, qualified and lost in R2, because of which her ranking this week rose to #365. And even if she loses R2 here, she's sure to jump to around 315 - those are correct numbers now, I've double checked

Good luck Iva!
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #12
country flag networthy

Bonfiglio, R2: Iva MEKOVEC (CRO) defeated Elena-Teodora CADAR (ROU) 63 60

And that's against the girl who in the previous round destroyed Kowase, #15 in the world, 61 61

In R3 Mekovec plays the #9 seed, Kovalets (#21; CH #13). Best of luck, Iva--but regardless of what happens, you've already outdone yourself!
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #13
country flag ma re

Well done Iva!!! I really didn't expect this, what a nice surprise. This probably guarantees her a top300 position now (I haven't checked but am pretty sure), which is really great considering she was in the 450's just some weeks ago. But ranking is less important now, what's important is that she makes a great run in this tournament, cause big results on big stages is what tennis is all about.

Best of luck!
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #14
country flag networthy

^ Iva will jump about 100 spots, from 365 to around 260.
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #15
country flag ma re

She's on the entry list for a G1 in Germany that starts two weeks from Monday (June 7th), and she could enter the quali draw, even with her entry ranking of 450. Currently she's 52nd alt., but there's a lot of time, so let's hope she sneaks in.