Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread, vol 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #1
country flag ~Kiera~
The dragon that spits fire

~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute
Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread, vol 2

Thought it would be a good idea to have a seperate thread to post news, articles, etc rather than clogging up some of the other threads.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...547199,00.html

Quote:
Playing with fire

Barry Flatman, tennis correspondent, in Melbourne

Jelena Jankovic says that there is more to life than tennis, but is determined to fulfil her potential on court

The hair is raven black rather than the emblematic blonde. The US became a means to a sporting education rather than a new home and an opportunity for a better life. The travelling bags are full of textbooks and the mind is more concerned with matters academic than forehands and backhands. Jelena Jankovic is not the stereotypical tennis prodigy. Yet with vacancies on offer at the top of the women’s game after the retirement of Lindsay Davenport and the imminent departure of Kim Clijsters, the 21-year-old Serb appears to be the new talent most likely to succeed.

Thus far on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in 2007 she has collected one title in Auckland and should have added another in Sydney, allowing a match point to slip in a tense final against Clijsters. Nevertheless, nine victories from 10 matches this year identify her as the form player going into the Australian Open, which will be devoid of world No 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne.

Three days of rest should be sufficient for the 11th seed to recharge before starting her campaign, and a favourable draw, beginning with a first-round meeting against Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak, suggests she could at least equal her semi-final performance at last year’s US Open. There are other reasons to believe that Jankovic will be a contender when the women’s tournament reaches its climax in 13 days’ time. Six years ago, as Jennifer Capriati was outplaying Martina Hingis in the final, Jankovic became the junior champion and her ability on the Rebound Ace surface was confirmed.

Allowing the Sydney title to slip from her grasp rankled for a while, but she was soon willing to speculate on the future. “I don’t know if a new star is born,” she says with a smile. “Maybe.”

It would be wrong to categorise Jankovic on the basis of this statement and view this daughter of a couple of economists as another self-centred youngster who cares only about her own potential. She is appalled by the mindset of young female tennis players who seem consumed by their own games. She grimaces at the routine followed by so many of focusing totally on the sport and living a continuous cycle of airports, hotel rooms, practice courts and self-analysis.

“I don’t want to be a typical tennis player, who knows how to hit the forehand and backhand but does not think about anything else,” says the girl who did not only have to cope with homesickness when she arrived at Nick Bollettieri’s Florida tennis academy when she was 12 years old. In addition, she had to contend with the fact that Nato bombs were soon falling on her home city of Belgrade and her family were in peril.

“There is much more to life than tennis,” she says “This world is a fascinating place and we travel it all the time, stopping in all the great cities, which each have a story to tell. I look at so many of the other girls and think what opportunities they are wasting. They are tennis all the time and I was doing many other things. I like that balance. When I play, I like to focus, but when I finish, I like to do something else. I need to get my head outside of it and think about something else. I cannot think about tennis from morning until night.

“Other girls on the Tour don’t want to learn about the place they are staying or the culture. They are happy to fill their minds with tennis. That is not for me. I am different from the rest in so many ways. After tennis, I would like to do something as well. I think it’s very important.”

Such an outlook clearly contributes to her ability not to be intimidated by opponents. Last year’s Wimbledon saw her beat defending champion Venus Williams in the third round, while her progress in the US Open provided wins over 2004 winner Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva. The past week has seen her add the names of Hingis, a three-time Australian Open champion, and defending champion Amelie Mauresmo to her list of scalps.

In the same way that her parents view an economic situation, she rationalises her success over such esteemed opposition: “Beating these players is something that must be done if you want to win big titles, but you must not allow yourself to think they are any more special than you. I respect them, but I will not be scared of what they have achieved.”

Yet not so long ago Jankovic seriously considered whether she wanted to continue her tennis career and felt the lure to put more impetus into her studies. She is the only member of her family who is not a traditional academic. Her parents and older brother have degrees, her younger brother is in college and she is in the second year of a course at Megatrend University in Belgrade.

She is keeping her options open. Last spring she was prepared to turn her back on the courts after suffering first-round exits in all but one of her first 10 tournaments. Her enjoyment of the game evaporated, practice became a chore, the pain of defeat all too familiar. Her mind apparently made up, she headed to the city she finds the most inspirational, not to revitalise her competitive spirit but to bring it to a close. Her mother, Snezana (which translates into Snow White in Serbian), accompanied her to Rome and the magic of the Eternal City brought about a change of heart. “Sometimes some things are meant to be,” says Jankovic. “They just happen to change the thoughts and your path of life. Arriving in Rome, I regained my hunger.”

Since then her appetite for competition has been ravenous, and after sessions with a sports psychologist she also enthuses over the powers of positive thinking. If she does win, her joy will be immense, but she will quickly put it into context. “It will just be one very memorable part of my life, but it will not figure in the rest of my life. Always remember I am different to the rest.”
Link to volume 1.

Q. It went through the net.
JELENA JANKOVIC: Through the net? Under the net?

Last edited by Yasmine : Jul 17th, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
~Kiera~ is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #2
country flag Cat123

Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of
Re: Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread

No blonde please.

And I so need more shopping-with-Beth piccies!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #3
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread

Blonde

No. JJ. No.

Pick Strategy is ALL: JJ is merely the weapon of choice...

JM: [pause, followed by a guilty look] Ah yeah. That's possible.

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
RFS is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #4
country flag Michael27

Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold Michael27 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jelena Jankovic News and Articles Thread, vol 2

Thanks Alex.

Official Hairspray Supplier of the JJ Clinic

Official Banana Supplier of the JJ Clinic

Jamie Murray
Michael27 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #5
country flag ~Kiera~

~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute ~Kiera~ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.jj-jelenajankovic.com/eng/blog.php

Quote:
Knee rehab

Hello fans,

I hope that all of you are enjoying this special summer since the most important event of this year is coming up only in several weeks. I am really looking forward flying to Beijing and playing the Olympics. It is such a different feeling since athletes get this chance to play at this event every four years, and for that matter all of us want to perform at the highest level. I am hoping for the gold medal, to cheer up all Serbs back home and of course make myself happy as well, hahaha.

The last time I wrote you, I informed you about my knee injury. Since I came back from London, I had to cancel my vacation plans in order to get daily treatments on my knee so I could be ready for everything that awaits me in the next couple of months. The specific problem is with the meniscus which is recuperating bit by bit. I only practiced one hour a day at the beginning of last week, and last night I arrived to the United States where I will start my more intensive preparation for Los Angeles and Montreal.

I tried to entertain myself while I was in Belgrade and really enjoyed spending time with the closest members of my life. I rarely get a chance to spend two weeks with them, so there is always positive side compared to some unfortunate things. I also managed to go to the seaside for a couple of days only. I went to Montenegro on business, but I took that opportunity to spend some time on the beach as well. This country?s nature is beautiful and half of my family roots come from this land. Adriatic Sea is amazing; the color of it is so unique. I am including few pictures of me that some friends of mine took while we were relaxing during the day.

One of the things you will be able to notice is that I have eaten too much chocolate, candies and breads, hahahaha. When you do not play for two weeks, muscles start relaxing too much which definitely I do not like so I am glad to start practicing again and bringing my body back to the great physical condition. I need to burn some of that additional fat gathered from this time while I was not playing.

That would be it for now. I just wanted to let you know my injury status and I hope I will be able to play next week in California. I love Los Angeles, I have had successes there in the last couple of years.

Hugs and kisses,

Jelena
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #6
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

So, she hopes to play LA but it's not sure thing that she will...Can't wait for the pics to see all that additional fat she has to burn!

PS All our threads are being butchered...
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #7
country flag ~Kiera~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalex View Post
PS All our threads are being butchered...
Someone make it stop
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #8
country flag Ian Aberdon

Ian Aberdon has disabled reputation

Dunno about family roots, her HAIR roots are receiving most attention at the mo...

Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht it's a braw moonlicht nicht the nicht
Ian Aberdon is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #9
country flag ChriS.

ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future ChriS. has a brilliant future

JJ, blonde bimbo
ChriS. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
country flag Brena

Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Besides tennis, what other sports do you like?
I adore golf, because itís so relaxing. Once, I even played against my fitness coach who plays this sport regularily. This took place in Sarasota, Florida, and a professional golf player showed me the right way to hit the ball. When you just watch the game, it all seems simple and easy, but in reality, itís very complicated. Whenever I have time, I play some one-hoop basketaball with my brothersíí.

How many suitcases do you travel with?
Thereís a big one, in which I pack my tennis dresses, shorts, tennis t-shirts, and training suits. The racquets go in my tennis-bag. I also carry with me a Louis Vuitton suitcase with the wardrobe for going out Ė for example, a little black dress with which I can never go wrong, jeans and pumps. The things I canít fit in my baggage end up in my mumís.

What do you wear for the beach?

I wear a bath-suit, and depending on the occasion, I either wrap myself in a pareo or put on a summer dress. Usually I sport a pair of sandals, and if my hair is not perfect, I tie it with a hair-scraf. Also, good sunglasses, a big transparent bag in which I can fit a towel, sunscreens, magazines, books and a music player, are all mandatory. I never leave house without the wallet, because I always like to drop in cafe and have a drink with my friends.

It is well known that you dress well. Where and what for do you shop most often?

I adore going shopping in big cities, especially in Rome. Iím crazy about shoes and dresses, Iíll never have enough of them. Since I spend a lot of time waiting at the airports, I use those breaks to check out the latest cosmestic products in the well-stocked shops. I always buy loads of creams, lotions, and various make-up products, because I like playing with them.

Who are your favourite fashion designers?

Iím not one of those people addicted to only one brand. Lately, Iíve been mostly buying purses and sandals designed by Jimmy Chu. Also, Iíve treated myself to a few pairs of luxury Christian Louboutin shoes. But, since they all have high heels, I wear them only for special occasions, when I donít find it hard to suffer in order to look good.

Does it take you long to get ready for an evening out?

For me, itís important to lok feminine and elegant. I like to change styles and try out different looks. In such occasions, high heels are obligatory, because I do my training sessions in sneakers, so itís the evenings when I can look glamurous.

Do you always wear make-up, or only in the evenings?

Since my eyes are a bit smallish, I always wear mascara in order to make them look bigger. I never fail to apply some lip-gloss, even when Iím about to get out on a tennis court. In the summer, I also use fake tan, altough I tan easily, because Iím out in the sun the whole year round.
Jelena's fashion philosophy from the Serbian magazine ''Gloria''. Thanks to Tara from the ''Discussions in Serbian'' thread.

By Harold Pinter&Brena

''Man up or go home.''

''Who cares? Hahahahahaha!''
Brena is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #11
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

See, you did a great job! It's better than anything I translated.

So, 'salonke' are 'pumps'...I'd prolly translate it as saloon shoes!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #12
country flag redsonja

redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future

Jimmy Choos and Louboutins?? Seriously, I just want a chance to raid her shoe closet.

Also, at the fake tanning.
redsonja is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #13
country flag Ian Aberdon

Ian Aberdon has disabled reputation

Thanks Zoja!

I'll bet she's pulled more than once with that little black number!

(That right, Jamie, hmm?? )

Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht it's a braw moonlicht nicht the nicht
Ian Aberdon is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #14
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute

But the girl's 100% correct - there's little that goes wrong with an LBD! It;s a must have in ANY suitcase!

I even think I took one when backpacking around Oz - and lo... we poshed ourselves up for a night at the opera house!

Pick Strategy is ALL: JJ is merely the weapon of choice...

JM: [pause, followed by a guilty look] Ah yeah. That's possible.

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
RFS is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #15
country flag Brena

Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute Brena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonja View Post
Jimmy Choos and Louboutins?? Seriously, I just want a chance to raid her shoe closet.

Also, at the fake tanning.
Oh, hell, I misspelt him (whoever he is)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalex View Post
See, you did a great job! It's better than anything I translated.

So, 'salonke' are 'pumps'...I'd prolly translate it as saloon shoes!

I was thinking in terms of ''salon shoes'', but than I decided to ask my mum, she's a real female(unlike myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Aberdon View Post

Thanks Zoja!
Thank Alex, he made me do it!

By Harold Pinter&Brena

''Man up or go home.''

''Who cares? Hahahahahaha!''
Brena is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread