Tennis Forum banner

Disappointed with Serena today..

4K views 93 replies 64 participants last post by  bandabou 
#1 ·
I think Venus played at her normal level. But what the hell happened to Serena, I can't recall having seen her playing so passively. She seemed not to believe in her shots today.

#54 ·
I don't understand it either, because in the first two games she displayed perfect tennis, killing Venus' lst serves and hitting winners on her ground shots. She exploited everything Venus gave. Then, suddenly, her game drops off the map. Venus wasn't playing that extremely well, where Serena couldn't maintain her own service game and counter what Venus was offering. Doesn't make much sense. Guess we'll never know what was on Serena's mind during the game to understand why.

#10 ·
I hate watching Serena play like this. She either loops her forehand or pulls off it. If you watched her in the second set for the first time today, you wouldn't think she was a power player.

#15 ·
yeah, Serena seemed to get really down on herself halfway through the first set for whatever reason and just never recovered from it.
oh well, you can tell from the look on her face that she's not enjoying being the losing sister at a Wimbledon final, so hopefully she'll use that for the next time ;)

#17 ·
Serena is way more close to win this title than we see from result. I'm so sure that Venus (b/c fitness) have poor chances in 3rd set against sister, so Serena just need to win one set for whole match - and her BP convertation (2 out of 13) is most tragic at 4-4 in first set where she have at 2BP two easy balls to win point and serve for set (for match and championship if you ask me) - but waste both opportunities.

So she is so close to beat true "Grass Queen" Venus which won here last 22 sets in the row... so dont tell me that Serena todays performances is bad. She prove again that she is better player than big sister - but not at grass!

#93 ·
wtf...... :lol: :eek:

#21 ·
She went off a little but like Macenroe said it was almost a classic, such high quality!

#22 ·
Serena really dropped the ball in this match. She's not the player she used to be. :sad:

#26 ·
Yeah I was quiet sad on how the match changed. Serena was just playing so good:(

I just having a feeling Serena is gonna want revenge and go on a tear on the hard courts which is her best surface.

#27 ·
Serena really needs to focus on channeling the level of play she had at the beginning. That was unbelievably high. If she can play like that or even like 80% of that she can dominate the field. She really got nervous at 43 and started missing serve and guiding her groundstrokes. I really hope she improves on what she did in the 1st and jsut forgets about her play in the 2nd.

Also, she needs to get her nerves and her emotions in check. Or channel them in a positive way, cuz in this match she let her negative emotions and her nerves completely bring her game down.

#69 ·
Serena really needs to focus on channeling the level of play she had at the beginning. That was unbelievably high. If she can play like that or even like 80% of that she can dominate the field....
Unbelievably high is right. It would have been hard for Serena to maintain the level of the first 4 games for an entire set or match, regardless of her opponent's play. Pretty near impossible to do so once Venus started serving and playing better. That's not how she won Wimbledon 02 & 03. Too high risk. 80% on each shot, with spin and placement, is the way to go. She's forgotten how to get that balance in big matches, but if she stays healthy and committed she'll get that back.

Also needs to improve her movement; no way around that. She's mediocre on defense (see 2nd serve points won); which both puts pressure on her and allows her opponents some breathing room. If she doesn't improve this aspect of her game, Venus will do to her what Justine started doing last year.

#28 ·
?? This analysis is strange. If she was playing so much better in the beginning and it made so much of a difference then how come she was never up in games at any time in the match?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.