Williams Sisters: Didn´t expect a 20 year career - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #1
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute
Williams Sisters: Didn´t expect a 20 year career

Serena and Venus Williams didn't expect to still be playing on tour at this time, but say their own competitiveness and impact on others has kept them going.

"I definitely didn't see myself playing tennis at my age. I just thought I would have been gone doing other things," said Serena, 32, at Montreal. "But it just so happens that I love to play, I love to compete. I'm having fun. I enjoy it."

"I didn't think that I'd be playing this long, no. But I thought I'd be running my own business by now," agreed Venus, 34, who has just returned to the Top 20.

In addition to her seven Grand Slam titles, Venus is also known for her efforts to secure prize money equality at Wimbledon, and described her reputation as one of the most important things she has achieved.

"Well, I think what I'm most proud of is that so far I've come this far without falling on my face," she said. "I want to try to keep that up. So once I'm done I can look back and say, I didn't make a fool of myself."

The elder Williams has also stood out for her return to professional tennis following a diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome, an auto-immune condition that causes fatigue.

"I play because I love it and I want to win titles, but I also play for that. I don't want to lay down," she said. For me, I think I'm playing for my own redemption."

Having been on tour for 15-20 years, the sisters have also seen others inspired by them, both on and off the court.

"We've had such a great impact. I think having been, you know, pretty much one of the first African-Americans to do well, then to see all the African-Americans, even some Canadians here playing really well, it makes me feel really good," said Serena.

"I think in a lot of ways the work that we've put in on the court has been able to give so much to so many different people in so many different ways. That was a result that we, as sisters or as a family, never saw coming," said Venus.

The two played each other in the semifinals of Montreal, with Venus winning in three sets.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/.../#.U-jBaON_tac

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #2
country flag nathanj594

nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute nathanj594 has a reputation beyond repute
Semi honey. But good read

Ree & Vee - Sveta Kuz - Kleybanova
nathanj594 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #3
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Williams Sisters: Didn´t expect a 20 year career

Nice words from both of them. Really proud what they are able to catch in both careers. And counting.

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #4
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a sourced quotes (or quotes) of either WS acknowledging the African-American trailblazers in tennis - Gibson and Ashe?
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #5
country flag selesbooz

selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future selesbooz has a brilliant future

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #6
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Does anyone have a sourced quotes (or quotes) of either WS acknowledging the African-American trailblazers in tennis - Gibson and Ashe?
Quote:
Zina Garrison, the next African-American woman after Gibson to reach the Wimbledon final (she lost to Martina Navratilova in 1990), eulogized Gibson, too.

"Althea used to say she wanted me to be the one who broke her barrier, to take the burden off of her [as the only black woman to have won Wimbledon]," Garrison said. "She showed me the stall where she dressed and where she popped the champagne when she won. She knew she opened the door for all of us, and she was so excited about all the women who followed her."

After Gibson passed away, Venus Williams released a statement honoring her role model: "I am grateful to Althea Gibson for having the strength and courage to break through the racial barriers in tennis. Althea Gibson was the first African-American woman to rank number one and win Wimbledon, and I am honored to have followed in such great footsteps."
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=3478200

Althea Gibson-Zina Garrison-Venus Williams-Serena Williams its not hard to see how they have influenced American tennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #7
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

i remember venus said in 98 or 99 she would not play for long, that she would retire and focus on designing. im still waiting

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote