I don't mean to beat a dead horse - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
country flag supergrunt

supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute
I don't mean to beat a dead horse

or however the saying goes, but it seems at this Wimbledon especially, the commentators are attributing the Williamses' talent to their natural athleticism.

Last edited by supergrunt : Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
supergrunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM   #2
country flag Expat

Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I don't mean to beat a dead horse

then stop beating it
on topic their height matters a lot on grass because it helps them to generate power on their serves and wimbledon is basically a fast surface where serve is the most important factor

its not just the williams sisters but all power players who will do well here like maria lindsay etc the grass favors the power players

the same case holds for the french open
movement is the key on clay and the ability to run after the shots and stay in points
thats why henin dominated clay

height is not that big a factor
i think ana ivanovic is the only player above 6 ft tall to have ever won the french open

its all about surfaces
the points I made above are not the only reason but height and athleticism plays a factor
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

I heard a rumor that Venus and Serena are excellent tennis players, as well.
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrunt View Post
or however the saying goes, but it seems at this Wimbledon especially, the commentators are attributed the Williamses' talent to their natural athleticism.
So what would you attribute it to ?
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM   #5
country flag Whitehead's Boy

Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Their ability to play tennis duh.
But you cannot separate that from their athleticism, especially on grass. There's a reason why they are excellent on grass but lose to Pennetta and Srebotnik on clay. Richard Williams himself said to Pam Shriver Venus' best strenght is to run fast.
Whitehead's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Kart

Quote:
Their ability to play tennis duh.
Which has nothing to do with how good an athelete they both are ?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #7
calabar

calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of

Methinks the "unwritten" point being made is that commentators are attributing the Williamses success to athleticism, while white players like Justine, Hingis etc are generally creditied with cerebral prowess. As if to further suggest that intelligence and athleticism are mutually exclusive. Obviously to reach the highest level of any sport, one has to demonstrate BOTH.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war...

- Bob Marley/Haile Selassie
calabar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #8
country flag LCS

LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute

clearly someone doesn't have anything else to worry about...
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #9
country flag supergrunt

supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luís Santos View Post
clearly someone doesn't have anything else to worry about...
Just an observation.
supergrunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #10
country flag Destiny

Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute

I think i get what supergrunt is trying to say

Every time they talk about the way the play they never say "oh they are great tacticians" or "oh that was a smart shot". Always to do with their power and stuff

It's NOT FAIR!!

TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Kart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
I think i get what supergrunt is trying to say

Every time they talk about the way the play they never say "oh they are great tacticians" or "oh that was a smart shot". Always to do with their power and stuff

It's NOT FAIR!!
Are you serious ?
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #12
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa Raymond is a jock, Alicia Molik et al , where are there singles Grand Slam titles? Semifinals? Finals?

And oh lest I forget to mention.

Mr Obama is so articulate, and clean cut, and his wife is quite charming.Until now I'd never seen a black couple speak so well.

yes leave it to me to take it too far....

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #13
country flag Destiny

Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
Are you serious ?
ok
maybe i wasn't that clear but i know what am trying to say i just have to say it better

TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #14
country flag Whitehead's Boy

Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute Whitehead's Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabar View Post
Methinks the "unwritten" point being made is that commentators are attributing the Williamses success to athleticism, while white players like Justine, Hingis etc are generally creditied with cerebral prowess. As if to further suggest that intelligence and athleticism are mutually exclusive. Obviously to reach the highest level of any sport, one has to demonstrate BOTH.
This is very speculative. Unless a commentator specifically mentions that athleticism and "cerebral prowess" are mutually exclusive, there isn't anything wrong to point out the Williams' athleticism is what contribute to their success on grass. It's kinda hard to deny it when you see Venus serve or run.

What's funny is that Richard probably would have no problem to acknowledge it... So it's really a non-issue.

In case some people aren't aware, tennis is a sport. Being a great athlete is the aim.
Whitehead's Boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #15
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehead's Boy View Post
This is very speculative. Unless a commentator specifically mentions that athleticism and "cerebral prowess" are mutually exclusive, there isn't anything wrong to point out the Williams' athleticism is what contribute to their success on grass. It's kinda hard to deny it when you see Venus serve or run.

What's funny is that Richard probably would have no problem to acknowledge it... So it's really a non-issue.

In case some people aren't aware, tennis is a sport. Being a great athlete is the aim.
It's a black thing you wouldn't understand.

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote