Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG... - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM   #256
country flag downunderfan

downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all
Re: Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG...

Roz, I'm already drooling thinking about men's SF and you're so lucky to be there! No sleep tonight for me I'm afraid (mix of tennis and football and lots of coffee). Enjoy it, hopefully we have 2 all-time classics. Oh, yes, and wave a special hello to down under owls.
downunderfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #257
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute

^ always a pleasure to hear from ya DUF....

Pick Strategy is ALL: JJ is merely the weapon of choice...

JM: [pause, followed by a guilty look] Ah yeah. That's possible.

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
RFS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #258
country flag downunderfan

downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all

Always a pleasure to read your fantastic blogs and see those great photos!
downunderfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM   #259
country flag Kampi

Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute Kampi has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I call "GREAT WORK" Ros
This is really huge and means so much work. Awesome stuff and BIG, BIG THX.

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Australia, in France, in Great Britain and in the United States, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence (mental) and growing strength (physical) in the air (serve and volley), we shall defend our lovely Island (Jelena), whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches (clay-courts), we shall fight on the landing grounds (hard-courts), we shall fight in the fields (grass-courts) and in the streets (WTAworld), we shall fight in the hills(reaching the top) we shall and we will never surrender.“ GO JJ.........AMEN
Kampi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #260
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 2010 Day 10 – Women’s Semis – Zvonareva v Pironkova

Ticketmaster In-the-gods lottery logins are a bit of an adrenalin rush. And the funniest thing about this is... I was egged on to try by mum! She was all set to go home after we managed to get tix for the quarters in the TicketMaster returns but thought it was worth a try – seeing as we’d had the Wednesday off, ‘n’ all....
So I duly did as I was told (well she was cooking all my Mauritian faves) and... GOT ‘EM! I came charging down the stairs and she looked up and said “you came down like you used to thump down the stairs when you were 5... I knew you got them by the sound” Awwwww

I was so discombobulated I clicked on the first collection option available of collecting at the Box office... weird! Normally you get to print out the tickets??
Or so I thought – when we got to the Ticket Collection thingummy – they said that for the Semis and the finals ALL Ticketmaster tickets would have to be collected in person. That coupled with the checking the other day against a list for the first time – they’re taking ticket fraud seriously – compare and contrast the plethora of touts at Roland Garros – there are still one or two at Southfields but nothing compared to what it was like in Paris.

Our challenge today was going to be to get back in time to try for a single ticket for the men’s Semi’s to see Andy... we stood a chance – sure we were going to miss some dubs (and as it turned out we’d have missed the spectacle that was “veterans” Hingis and Kournikova – but mum was going to be heading back on the Friday morning, and she was definitely getting all tennissed out by now!
So – lunch (noodles) for two and a we headed up to the gods – where it was decidedly chilly!

So – first look at Pironkova – and I will add her to the “fearless” category – there was absolutely NO sign of Centre Court nerves or Semi final nerves.

From the start they had strong holds – rallies hitting deep, and especially a strong hold by Vera in the face of some blistering passing shots by Pironkova. She’s fast and strong at the net and injects a fair degree of pace – enough to get her to a break point – and a lucky netcord gave her the break at 4-2. She can hit fast both from the baseline and on the run – and consolidated her break quite easily.

This was going to be an interesting test for Vera – she held her nerve and actually stepped up her quality of play to hold at 3-5 leaving Pronk to serve it out – no such chokathon displays – served it out and went a set ahead.

I was curious to see how Vera would cope – and she came out strong. Held to love and where in the first set she seemed to be wrong-footed/on the back foot dealing with the cannonballs coming from the other end – she started to inject some pace herself. Pronk just wasn’t giving her ANY rhythm on her shots but Vera was holding her own in this set with another hold to love. She created a good few chances to break in the 4th and there was great net play from them both – they mirrored an exchange between them with Pironkova had gotten the better of her.
Vera had to keep the nerves in check to stay ahead with serve and she managed to break to go up 4-2. She consolidated... JUST! All the while Pronk was just going at her hammer and tongs – leaving Vera to actually have to serve out the set.

Everyone was all geared up for a storming decider – and again Vera started it strongly with a break. Things started to unravel a bit for Pronk – she took a slip and also had a bit of a dodgy call which put Vera in the driving seat. Pronk started to have trouble holding her serve – but struggled through but range was going and UEs were beginning to come thick and fast now – we often say it about JJ but I think in the third, Vera’s experience really started to serve her well.

She took another break in the 5th to go up 4-1 with some amazing rallies and shotmaking and held on to go 5-1.
Pronk mustered up a bit of guts to hold and gawd help us Bepa was going to have to serve it out for a place in the Final – I was tweeting to Keira123 that she was strangely calm and that it was like the universe was upside down. She reckoned Bepa had been calmer than any of us! She was so gracious in her interview and I thin Prinkova really acquitted herself well... she was attacking all the time, not giving Bepa any time on her shots... coming in to the net – retrieving well ... thumping hard... it was a great match...

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM   #261
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 10: S Williams v Kvitova

We were joined in our lofty perch by a couple of young lads who’d missed the entire first match because their dad had bought them their tickets... and of course they were not allowed to collect them. So daddy had to drive from his office in Barking to Wimbledon to get them in!

So – how was this going to go – we’d seen in the Quarters that Serena starts to get very dischuffed if things don’t go her way and she finds her serve coming back to her too often – and again add Kvitova to the “fearless” category – not to mention what can only be described as a celebratory yelp! Or Yap. Or something!
Again strong start from both of them and Serena was making some heavy work on he serve sometimes. Kvitova broke her to lead 3-2 and held her nerve saving break points against her. Like Pironkova – Kvitova is very handy at the net and stayed ahead that break.

Serena finally got herself together and broke back leaving Kvitova to serve to stay in the match. There was a stronger hold from her here and strangely for Ree she was dumping UEs into the net and she was sure stepping up the noise levels!
Kvitova got it to a TB and despite Serena making such a strong start she really fought hard to make a comeback but narrowly lost out 76(5)

Kvitova has a hefty leftie serve – she kinda reminded me of LRob in that first match – that serve seemed to get her out of trouble a few times [/cue yelp]
Ree broke her in to go 3-2 up and a costly slip in the 6th helped Serena along. They had an AMAZING rally in the 7th but it was just too cruel for her to then serve up a double fault leaving Serena to serve it out ...

I’d say both semis were pretty competitive and certainly great tennis. It’s great to think that for the second Slam in a row – you have at least one person in there who’s never reached a Slam in their career....

BUT – we were on a mission to get back home via the parky ridey for me to try for a Ticket Master ticket for the Men’s Semis!

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #262
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 11: Men’s Semis – Berdych v Djokovic

So – Muzz makes his 2nd semi in a row and the Ticketmaster bug had truly taken hold.
As soon as the Women’s semis were over – we headed back home – takes about an hour and a half to do the bus ride back to the car park and then get back – but we got back in time.
Mum was going to be heading back to Colchester so it was just the one ticket required – and predictably there were going to be lots on am.com also trying for a chance to see Andy.

This time I could have sworn my luck was out – the first time I clicked at 20:30 it said that there were no tickets on sale – and when i tried a 2nd time it took me to the choice. You have to picture the scene – you have your account already set up in Ticket Master to save time – but you have to remember your security doodad as well... then you have to type those stupid distorted words that are SO distorted that half the time I am sure I’m typing total rubbish!
Anyway – another ticket right at the back – but who cares!!!

Dropped mum off at the bus stop on the Friday and decided to public transport just in case both semis went long – the thought of having to leave by 10:40 latest to get my car out the car park before 11pm would have been too hard to bear. Hmm... needn’t have worried about that as it happened!

Last round of noodles (yet again the clear winner in the Food Village by a long shot), a well needed beer after that long hot walk from Southfields station, and topped off with some ice-cream!

I knew the gangway number looked familiar – it was the hiding place of Hawkeye Steward – he who swooped like an aged, balding vulture on anyone so much as twitching in their seats!
At least this time I was a little further along and shielded by a rather large woman... but I did deploy the rootling in the bag tactic for a few notes.

Holds for the first three games and the guys were just settling in to their games. That being said – Nole was coming up with a lot of UEs coming out of rallies ... and BOY does Tomas serve BIG! It was nice to see some rallies – for such a big guy – Berdych’s movement was pretty good and he seemed pretty comfortable at the net...

Nole got his little self broken in the 6th to go down 2-4 and was reverting back to whining and shrugging back at his box – something we hadn’t seen since the Rochus match after he had more comfortable matches. Berdych consolidated the break – by now Nole was just throwing UEs around all over the place – really playing out of sorts. He did manage to hold to make Berdych serve it out – and we wondered whether finally the pressure was getting to Tomas after he DFed at set point... but he settled to take it 63.

Novak did seem a bit more energised at the start of the second set – throwing in big serves and aces – but was still overhitting or dumping easy balls into the net. One of the linesjudges was having a total shocker of a match with a couple of calls overruled and in the end she had to move position.

Nole also had a bit of bad luck with the dusty baselines – slipping and sliding a lot and the ball would check up at one stage where he just stopped playing. An ill thought lob cost him a break in the 11th game and there was an incredible rally from these guys at break point. It was taken at the second time of asking to take things into a TB...
And oh my god that TB – there was a stunning rally with Nole at 5-6 and eventually he challenged a call where Berdych had effectively left a ball where he had a chance of a play. Nole was seriously pissed at being told by Carlos Ramos to replay the point- and the grunt of sheer desperation when he brought it to 6-all was a show of hoe much he can fight when he wants to! It was a total shame when he had a total brain fart and DFed on set point to lose the 2nd.

His whole body language was such that you just knew he was going to struggle to do this the long way... and there was a mass exodus from the stadium at the start of the third – no-one wanted to miss the next one! Nervy play by Nole to hold but yet another DF did for him and Berdych served it out to book his place in the finals in straight sets!

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #263
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 11: Murray v Nadal

Oooh oooh – with added David Beckham, and pretty much all the Murray Clan + spares!

I was sat next to one of those “I can’t stand Murray after his comment about the England football team” types.... really?? REALLY??? After their piss-poor performance? Mmmkay then! Actually to be fair to her – she also did not hesitate to applaud some great shotmaking from Andy... and this annoying little kid sat in front of us was most perturbed when she was cheering on Rafa!

The start was pretty promising – it was clear that Andy was mixing up a lot in his game – some serve/volleying – going for his shots – decent holds at the start but no matter what he did, Andy just wasn’t getting a look in to the Nadal serve.

He seemed to lapse a bit of concentration in the 9th and got broken, and Nadal was able to keep the single break and take the first set comfortably 64.

Andy started the 2nd with comfortable holds to love but again – just couldn’t find a way in to threaten Nadal’s serve
His best chances to break came in the 4th game and he just couldn’t take them – Rafa was playing as though every point was match point. I’d seen him against Petzschner and this was truly a different guy – he was totally energised.
Andy was solid in his serve again and again squandered some chances to break in the 8th game – which was a long game on Rafa’s serve

Into the TB – there were just stunning rallies. If the quality of tennis had been good between Berdych and Djoko in the first semi – it was sublime at times in this TB. The moves at the net – Andy’s touch at the net was amazing – but again – missed his chances and the TB went to Rafa.

This was going to be a long haul back and Andy started great with breaking Nadal in the first game of the third set... he kept it to a single break until the 8th – and throughout the whole match this was the first time we saw some of that more passive pushing with dropshots going awry – Rafa broke back in the 8th game and then just stepped up a notch to break Andy to take the match in straights!

Rafa’s intensity in this match was unreal. It really was. And lest we forget – he is the world #1. And it showed! He never got the chance to defend his title last year and I feel the tournament was poorer for that. He comes into the Final now having played himself into form.

Andy came into Wimbledon off unsettled preparation in terms of match play and just performed brilliantly during the early rounds. He dug in and outclassed a very good player in Jo-Wilfred Tsonga – and the fact there was only smattering of points in it between him and Rafa shows the quality of his play.
I was amazed to see some negativity in some quarters in his forum. But largely people in there have taken comfort from the fact that the more respected commentators like Tim and Jonny Mac have stated that his time WILL come, and that he lost to a player that was simply on fire.
My personal opinion is... his first slam will come on the hard courts. He is way more comfortable at the USO... and I think he’ll come back much more energised for the final slam of the year.

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM   #264
country flag RFS

Bonus Bloggy – Rozzie’s Patented Slam Kit and the end of a Great Wimbly run!

So... a staggering 9 days of tennis at the premier Slam (well yes I would say that, it’s our home one!)... but what does your intrepid blogger take with her for all this quality piccy-taking and Rozzie-rambling?

Well this list was compiled with the generous help of friend, 2 x Le Froglets (see post from Day 6) and a bottle of M&S Poppable Rosé!

So with the exception of Semis and Finals – togs (for me) usually consists of combats that can be rolled up to catch sun if any should appear (how do you guarantee that in the UK? Spend 20m on a roof!); Proper posh togs for the Semis (and Final the one time I’ve been!)

“Layers, onion boy”... Wise-cracking animated donkeys can’t be wrong! Layers especially if you end up outside to begin with and then end up in the gods on centre in the evening!
Came in REAL handy at RG where we were cursed with oodles of rain and then were sat in a very shady bit of Lenglen. LOVELY and sunny outside the court – inside... ARCTIC!

Generally 3 layers! T-Shirt, light long-sleeved shirt and a hoody or fleecy object for the colder evenings. A jacket is a must as well – but... in RG I was taken by the addition of a natty RG Mac (the French call it a poncho – but it had sleeves and the advantage of being quite long so useful to seat on soggy seats)! I add to this a Lakeland hand towel thingy that they don’t seem to stock anymore but again – at RG the staff threw out raggedy towels for people to dry off the seats. I have been looking for a place to use these... so welcome to the Slam kit raggedy hand towels!

Brolly(s) are a must – especially if you don’t have tickets for roof-ville. Little commuter one is all well and good but (see RG posts) not much damn use in a deluge – bring me my Nike Golf Umbrella!
And a new addition to the kit – when Cilla and I were queuing – I was drawn in by the lure of £3 for a copy of the Daily Torygraph and.... a fleecy blanket – fleecy on one side – waterproof on the other!!! Folds up nicely afterwards although of course on that day you saw them wherever you looked!

Finally – certainly for Wimbledon – me and another mate inherited a couple of the nicer larger cushions they used to do – they seem to have stopped them this year at Wimbledon. So a couple of the larger cushions get taken along now. I did buy a little RG one as well, but it seems to lose its cushioning qualities quite quickly ... kinda important for a cushion to retain that, dontya think?

Let’s see – this year I’ve had the miracle of ... iPhone! The App was a godsend to see what was coming up where... and for making much more copious notes for the blogs. In the past I was just going on memory and ... y’know... knocking on a bit now. Just being able to note down significant points in the game at key points really helped – especially with so many visits this year! Came a cropper with Hawkeye Steward (so maybe pen and paper as a backup next time?)

Pics from 2008 through to RG were taken with my Casio Exilim EX-Z40. A modest 4.0 Mega-pixels and it has done me proud. However – sat next to my friend at RG with her double zoom and super doper extra close-up capability, yes.... the gadget girl had camera envy – and so just prior to Wimbles I scampered out and bought myself a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8. The quality of pictures from up in the gods has been bloody amazing. The only downside is that the rapid burst function eats the battery and it dropped a bar by the end of the day, most days. So by the time I go to France later in the year – I’ll probably have me a spare battery!

When I take mum – we mostly drive to the Park and Ride – but on the Middle Saturday – I trusted in public transport and the lottery that is the District Line ... met up with friend and we toddled off to M&S for our now legendary Le Froglets, a baby bottle of fizz each (add one M&S mini cool bag to the mix next time) and some snackettes – including these awfully self-indulgent strawberry tartlets!
And now I know there is a never-ending bus-ride pretty much straight to the gates – I may well do the public transport thing – lord knows I can never have too many adventures on London Transport

On that subject - a top tip from my friend - leaving for the day - walk to Wimbledon and get on the Tube there - that way when you get to southfields with the rest of the madding crowds - you have a seat, as the tube starts from there!

And thus... endeth Wimbledon 2010 for me. 9 days at The Championships, out of a possible 13. I saw JJ for one and a half rounds (pffft) – I saw both of Jamie’s matches, I saw LRob’s debut on Centre Court and her round of Mixed with Jamie... I saw Andy play 3 times including that Semi...and for me the highlight was watching Vera Zvonareva from R3 to the semis on her path to her first Slam final...
I will be adding gallery links to all the photos taken at some stage – please respect all rights if downloading images and play nice, saying where you got them!

Acknowledgements have to go to Matt Fitzgerald for all his advice when I was setting up the blogsite, and to all the people who have been checking out the blogs– either in their spiritual home of tennisforum.com or here in their new home (particularly Tashi and Cilla when I first set it up after RG, checking on how the pages looked/posting comments etc ).

Cheers and see you later in the year.
R.

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #265
country flag Zehri98

Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of Zehri98 has much to be proud of

Hi Ros, its Zaheer, the guy from Glasgow who stood with you on Day 7 while waiting for JJ on court 12. After we left you, Manoo lost his wallet with all his money and cards in it while we were eating some Pizza, so that put us on a bit of a downer. But luckily it got handed into lost property after the Federer/Melzer match so woo-hoo!

Just wanted to say that your blog is great and the photos are amazing, I may just invest in a similar camera myself for 2011. Hope you enjoyed your Wimbledon fortnight and I look forward to trying to spot you there next year my dear. x
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #266
country flag RFS

Heyyyyy howya doin' ... Oh noes on the wallet but at least u found it!

Glad u liked the blogs and hope our paths cross again sometime x

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM   #267
country flag RFS

OMG OMG OMG

Quote:
Sugar and Spice & All Things Nice...

Posted By: Ashley Fisher on 8/23/2010 | | 0 Comments
Ros Satar takes a look at what makes the WTA what it is and the differentiation it has from the ATP World Tour.
Read More
The link to the article is HERE

My first piece of proper tennis writing...

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #268
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent article, Rozzie! Well done and congrats on it being published!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #269
country flag RFS

I had two recap articles published over USO:

The Armchair Slammer - Week 1
The Armchair Slammer - Week 2

Old Nov 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #270
country flag RFS

ATP Masters 1000, Paris - Day 4
Roddick v Gulbis
Alors.... mes petites rubik cubes...
Eyes down and here we go for the penultimate Blogs of the year ... Rozzie en France!!!
As part of the the whole RG experience earlier in the year, there was an offer to buy 2 tickets for ATP Masters Paris and get one day for RG next year! And these were those there days!

So – another bout on Eurostar , a new suitcase that hopefully wouldn’t be on the point of breaking whilst over there and off I toddled.
Come the morning session, we ambled over the 4 stops on the Metro to Bercy – last time I was here it was for the World Indoor Athletics Championships and I remember chuckling at the building with grass up the side. What I DIDN’T remember was stepsville! Bit of a scrum in the entrance and a lot of people were still outside when there was a moment’s silence to commemorate Armistice day – which was a shame I thought. Despite the complexities of getting tickets scanned, pass-out bracelet for the night session, we still actually made it in for the start of the match.

As my friend wryly pointed out – this was quite the Avian draw – Roddick (Duck Boy) and apparently Gulbis means ‘Swan’ in Latvian – seriously – don’t say you don’t learn nuthin’ here!
There was a LOT of love for Duck Boy – lots of shouts and squawks for him!
Gulbis was off his game from the start and Roddick didn’t waste any time taking advantage – racquets were flying as Roddick took the first set 6-3.

]

Although I am not the greatest Roddick fan – I’ve been pretty impressed with how he’s mixing up his play – and the 2nd set – a nifty 360 at the net and some excellent cross court angles.

Meanwhile Gulbis was plagued with costly double faults – one which helped take the set to a TB and the other which pretty much cost him the match
The TB was pretty competitive and Gulbis was waking up a bit with some great rallies – but Roddick took the match in straight sets

Annnnnd then we got the truly horrible music between the matches. French. Rock. Hmmmmm!