Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG... - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #226
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG...

Wimbledon Day 4: Good Queen Bess and the Practice Courts/Outside Courts
Today was quite possibly the last ever time I’d get complementary Ground Passes as the demon of redundancy and the ogre of this recessional climate means my friend at the AELTC is being made redundant at the end of the championships.
Having just survived a round of redundancies – I really feel for him… although he already had an interview lined up for something new… so I am keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed for him.

We did the Park and Ride today and as we came into the gates the Stewards were busy telling everyone where the best place to stand would be and where the queen would be coming along.
It’s kinda hard not to get caught up with it all – and so we made our way up to the hill and just as we got to the steps – I saw James (Jambon) and Kelle from am.com standing in a prime spot in the corner … but with everyone crowding up there – there wasn’t much time to do anything but wave at them as we tried to find a decent spot.

All the Umps and Linesjudges were in their kit and looking all smart and shiny and people were pretty excited… especially when the BBC showed a shot of the hill, people started waving causing a spur of expectation that she was coming!
You knew when she was on his way – the TV screen televised her car(s) arriving and the Doppler effect of applause as she was making her way along the hill with the entourage was a giveaway.

The pics at this stage were mainly of the top of her hat! Seriously – it could have been ANY old biddy under there – I was a bit disappointed but I got a chance for a decent pic later … woot!!!

So Queenie been-y gone-y … we wandered over to the Practice Courts…
Soderling was hitting with David Ferrer.

We also caught Justine…

… Oudin (who was either coming or going) and saw Stosur walking through on her way back.

We had toyed with the idea of trying to get to Court 18 for the resumption of the Isner/Mahut match and caught site of Mo-Lay…

Fitzy had asked me to stop by Court 9 if we could to catch Knowlzee and Fish – so I duly obliged from the corner… not sure about the matching headbands…!

Pick Strategy is ALL: JJ is merely the weapon of choice...

JM: [pause, followed by a guilty look] Ah yeah. That's possible.

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
RFS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #227
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 2010 Day 4: Azarenka v Jovanovski
We got ourselves some seats down in the front and settled down to see Vika… noticeable that she doesn’t grunt/howl during the warmup… so we concluded she doesn’t NEED to do it really.
What is DID remind me of was when I used to have a flatmate who played some game on his PS1 with this sporadic howling, that I could imitate quite well when I’d had a skinful!

Vika was looking in good form – there was some promising shot making from Jovanovski but just not consistent and Azarenka was pretty much dictating play completely

Jovanovski at least managed to salvage a breadstick…

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #228
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 day 4: Murray/Marray v Nestor/Zimonjic

We decided to leave after the first set to stake a place on Court 6 to see Jamie Murray/Jonny Marray take on the #1 seeds.
There was a forum wide groan when the draw was made – Jonny and Jamie have had some successes building up again on the Challenger tour and some tough losses when they’ve gotten into the main tour draws.
As it was we were a bit early and we managed to get a spot by the benches to catch the end of Hutchins/Kerr v Bogdanovic/Slabinsky

We were stood chatting a bit to Laura Fleming – Colin’s sister and all around was filling up quite quickly...

For all the discussion of this perhaps being a foregone conclusion – Jamie and Jonny broke the Nestor serve in the first game!
Jamie was struggling to keep his serve though, and so the trading breaks began…

The first set slipped away from them quite quickly.

The second set though – the guys started strongly, and found much more consistency. It was immediately more competitive a set as they settled into their game

The guys took the TB strongly … hope was up.

Somewhere in all this – the Queen appeared on the balcony with a couple of the AELTC hierarchy and was looking over this court as the game was going on –

And then Andy Murray and Jarkko Nieminen were introduced to the Queen on the balcony

The guys dropped their intensity a bit but stayed toe-to-toe … Nestor seemed to be the weaker of the two… and they had their chances to break.
Instead it went to another TieBreak – which went the way of the defending champs

At this point I needed to get off my feet which were burning! So we headed to Café Pergola for some tea …
The Isner/Mahut match had resumed and the games were marching on… and on… and on…
I was going cross-eyed because I fully expected Jamie and Jonny to go down in the 4th after losing the TB… and of course we were sat there when Isner FINALLY got the result…
We headed back out to try and catch the end of the Doubles match and get a position to see JJ in the dubs – Court 6 was HEAVING by this point – we were stood maybe a couple back from Judy in the corner and apart from seeing the odd racquet flying about for a serve we had to rely on the reactions of the crowd!

They fought hard – Jamie fought off match points on his serve time and time again… Jonny held his serve well time and time again and this could have gone either way – Jonny was so unlucky to be broken on his serve for the match and they took the #1 seeds to 5 sets, and they had to get to 15-13 for the win.

At the time of writing, we know now that Nestor/Zimonjic went out to another Brit paring next round.
Jamie and Jonny really need to take confidence from this – they fought hard – they CAN come through the tough TBs (good practice for those freakin’ MTBs on the tour).
Nice touch at the end with Nenad patting Jamie on the shoulder at the net… some hard grafting days ahead but I think they should build on this… they acquitted themselves very well and should be proud of that performance.

Last edited by RFS : Jun 27th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #229
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 4: Jankovic/Scheepers v Medina Garrigues/Senoglu

As we predicted/hoped – people scattered at the end of that match and we had to literally jump over the back of a bench to grab some space – we got chatting to a couple of Spanish ladies turning out to cheer on AMG and an English couple on the other side of us. The guy was keen to see JJ up close and his g/f could see why – complementing the GOAT on her figure. I had to explain the whole glittery GOAT thing … and she was also not going to disappoint us with Goaty distractions, gawd bless ‘er!

Senagal-Igloo was in a bit of a strop for most of the match and me and the girl beside me amused ourselves A LOT figuring out what was really being said in the tactics chats… she was pulling at her skirt constantly so we surmised that actually AMG was all “no your skirt looks fine, really – your bum doesn’t look big at all”… JJ would have been more “nahhh you want to go shopping sat Westfield… SOOOO much nicer”…

This was always going to be hilarious – JJ was all smiley and bouncy and she seemed to have a good rapport with Scheepers. But obvs… Scheepers was calling all the shots…
Cilla and I figured out that with her lack of tourneys ahead of Wimbledon – she was doing this for the grass court practice.

AMG started things off – but JJ/Scheepers took an early break (more by luck than judgement!)

There were a few times though when it looked like AMG/Senoglu were able to take advantage of holes straight down the middle of the other team.
Much hilarity with JJ as a spectator as rallies carried on around her and then she’d be all “ooh me me ME!” .. LOVE it when she shouts “YOOUUUUUU” to her partner!
But in general great groundies from JJ and her mostly typical bunts when up at the net.

A couple of anxious moments during the match – JJ tweaked something and called for the trainer – who never arrived (maybe that’s why she called them out in the A-Bond match … figured she was owed a visit?)
She overran the ball a couple of times – whenever she does that I always wince at the remembrance of that knee injury against Caro. [/shudder]

Senoglu was in a bit of a strop a fair few times – not much smileyness from her!
JJ at one stage waved at some random folk on the balcony – I think they must have known her and Sneki… Scheepers was all “umm… so… yeah back to the game, yes??”
But they had a lot of laughs between them

JJ and Scheepers weren’t really troubled and took the match comfortably in straights…

We decided to call it quits at this point – I finally had some sun!

We toddled to the supermarket on the way home as I had nothing to feed us for the early morning start! I always hit the supermarket on a Sunday morning, after they’ve stocked up over night so we were faced with racks and racks of stuff waiting to go out. Including what can only be described as an intimidating wall of bread. A lot of it.
Safe to say – I got the bread!

We’d booked the cab for 5:30 using the iPhone app for that – and so to home and to turn in for hitting the queue – we wanted to be there to try and snaffle court 2 tix for Kim, JJ and the prospect of Jamie and LRob being scheduled on a court…

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #230
country flag downunderfan

downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all downunderfan is a name known to all

Thanks, Roz, great as always! You are soooo lucky!
downunderfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #231
country flag Snex

Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute Snex has a reputation beyond repute

Great, Rozzie!!!!!!!
Snex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #232
country flag ce

ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

The Empress.

17 and counting...
ce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #233
country flag Cilla
Rafa the Diva, no?

Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute Cilla has a reputation beyond repute

GOAT of blogs
Jankovic: Not that young.

"Fuck, that serve! Long legged stork!"

Empress
Cilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #234
country flag Bobisa

Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute Bobisa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Rozzie

Jelena: "Sometimes I turn into a beast. I don't know what happens,
my evil twin comes on court."
Bobisa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #235
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 7 - Preview
Well I started to write up the blogs on Sunday and tried for tickets Sunday lunchtime for Tuesday - and got them for Centre!
Then I half heartedly tried for Centre for Monday up in the gods... and got them!

So... starts the next round of bloggies..
Additional security checking for the first time since I've been getting these internet tickets
Queueing to get in to see JJ and the disappointment of seeing her have to retire
Fed and his impossibly advert-wavey hair
Ree, MaSha and surprisingly not any perforated eardrums
Didn't a chance to meet up with Cat but we at least had a natter on the phone
Murray v Querrey and finally a pic of "gay T-Rex hand"!
And for added entertainment - a mobile phone Nazi Steward that resulted in solidarity from at least 2 rows of people in the gods!

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #236
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 8 - Preview
This is quite possibly my last blog of the Wimbledon tourney - no no - I hear ya I hear ya - but I am at the hands of the world wide interweb gods tomorrow...
But if it IS the last day - dear readers... then I will have for you sometime over the next few days (Flickr-willing!)...
Clijsters v Zvonareva
S Williams c Li Na
A little chest bumping bufoonery from the Bryans-Squared.

Wish me luck for tomorrow and Rozzie and TicketMaster going head to head....

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #237
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 5: Practice Courts - JJ
I am SUCH a child of advertising … I saw the Addison Lee app for iPhone advertised on the TV and sought it out! This was a bit of a risk using it to get to the queue as early as possible – but it seemed quite impressive – it confirmed the booking, sent me a text when the car was allocated and what the contact details would be.

What it DIDN’T tell us was that we were getting one of those drivers that just loves to chat – and at 5:30 in the morning neither of us were particularly awake! Initially it was ok – he seemed to know about tennis, but after he swerved to avoid a bollard and swerved to avoid hitting a stationary car… we were more concerned about him concentrating on the road!

Not having done the queue route by cab before – I sent him to a car park that I’d used the previous time – which was spectacularly shut!
So we turned and headed back to where the initial “destination” of the Wimbledon Tennis Museum was showing on his SatNav. This resulted in more cabbie lecturing of “you should pay attention to roads and landmarks”…
Even when we got to where people were headed – as we got out he was all “drink water”… but it has to be said £20 from my place in Richmond to Wimbers was a good deal – pain-in-the-arse cabbie not withstanding!

Still I felt relatively confident – it was 5:45 and we’d made excellent time.
Except we hadn’t – we were 2000+ in the queue – some 600 behind the courts… sigh!

We settled down behind a mother and daughter – their first trip and I bought myself a Fleecy picnic blanket (in the GOAT’s honour) from the various newspaper people.
We moved around the field periodically and eventually got in and were herded down the steps near the Pimms lawn as before.

We headed up to the practice courts and wandered up to where the players come in and out – and saw James (Jambon) and Kelle… again! What were the odds? Well given that Xenon21 from am.com (Zainab) was also there – I’d say the odds were small to none, as heading to the practice courts seems to be a tradition!!!
We chatted for a bit and it was nice to finally meet Kelle – but they were staying put for a while, and we wanted to get going to see some tennis.

We queued up for the practice courts, and we were talking about GOAT, and Cilla said “Speaking of Sneki… I’m sure that’s her there…” – she wandered over to the nearer courts, and wandered… and wandered – JJ was tucked away out of sight!

Today there were quite a few people waiting so we had to wait for a bit – and I was convinced we’d get there – and the goat would be finished! But luckily – she was in for the long haul!

We settled ourselves in for some pics – here are a few … once I’m done Wimbledoning – I’m going to go through my sets on Flickr and have a page for Gallery Links so please check there for more pics.

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #238
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 5: Bartoli v Arn

This was my FIRST day of not driving to the Parky-Ridey so I really wanted to at least have summat to drink – but again it was a blisteringly hot day – so we went to the bar at the Aorangi Terrace – where I had a craving for a shandy! But that wasn’t there as an option – so I halfheartedly asked for one – and to my surprise they were set up for them!
I know it sounds like a wussy thing – but it was the most refreshing thing …. Especially as my apple segments from the provisions shopping the night before tasted like sold cider… bleah!

We chilled for a bit and caught the first set of Kim vs MaKiri – which seemed to be going quite quick…. We decided to head off to queue for Court 12 as Bartoli was finishing up her match…
I don’t know if she’d been doing it all the while but when we arrived she’d been sending her serves into the net – so she started “shadow” serving before lining up to serve again.
The first couple of times I thought “fair enough – you’re DFing or netting your first serves” but she did them ALL the time once we were there - this is obviously the new “thing” to replace the Wimbledon Bunny hop of her breakout run!

Anyway – she managed to despatch Arn without too much trouble – but a little later on when we were sat up by the hill again – we saw Papa Bartoli, Marion and who I can assume was Madame Bartoli all linked arm in arm walking.
Except it’s fair to say they were more frog-marching her down the path.
It was weird – not like a typical father, daughter, mother, Little-House-on-the-Prairie gambol along the path – but like she was some kind of prisoner.
Cilla thought her eyes looked all spacey… and also – it’s kinda CROWDED in Wimbledon. Normally players walk on their own, with a coach (in conversation) or with guards in tow. So not only did this look weird… they kinda brought extra attention to themselves by taking up so much space on the path.

Bat.Shit. Insane – that family!

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #239
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 5: Zvonareva v Wickmayer

Ever since Cilla posted that You-Tube segment of the Pammy interview with Caro and the boos when she said “Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickmayer :rolleyes” – well pretty much cue me and Cilla referring to her as Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickmayer all the while!

This was a bit of a disjointed set – first game for Wickety wahhhh was looooong. Vera’s was quick.

Then they both had a spell of total yips on their serve!
They were both kicking up a lot of pace with their slugging and there were a couple of slips for Vera - her poor ankles!
She got her break and took the first set – in general she looked good – she has a lot of pace- good movement and more importantly can come to the net.

Meanwhile the closest we got to the GOAT was the scoreboard on Court 2 over the way!
Heh – we even heard the MTO and when we both checked twitter we could see Christina and Sarah discussing the self same thing – hah – JJ – SOOO predictable! We figured that as the trainer had never come to Court 6 last night, she wanted her medical dues!

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #240
country flag RFS

Wimbledon 2010 Day 5: Federer v Clement

We headed off for lunch (Noodles for those keeping score!) and then decided to go join the resale queue – we had to make a gamble and try and guess which court they were likely to put Jamie and LRob on for (quite literally) Mixed Troubles. Initially there was no worries – because this was the LONGEST queue I had ever seen…. An opportunity for a good doze!

The queue moved a bit from time to time as they squished everyone up and they had quite a lot of Ct 2 tix left – Venus was due to do dubs but after suitable rest – but the stewards were trying to flog those tickets! Meanwhile over on Ct 1 Roddick and Kohlschreiber were going toe to toe – and slowly to boot.

Which left us with Federer – who’d gone to 5 sets in R1, 4 in R2… we were constantly looking at his scores – and during that time the stewards split us into two queues – Centre and One. We found ourselves behind a sweet guy from the US who was desperate for Centre Court ticket to see Federer so was willing him to go to a 4th set. Meanwhile we had to make a decision which court to go with – we figured stick it out with Centre.
We were made up for the guy when some tickets started to come through at the end of the 2nd set and off he scampered.
We weren’t that close behind him – up in the gods – but on centre!

Fed despatched Clement quite quickly – so it was just more pictures-for-Tashi time…
I did post on FB that we had to endure Fed heh! So I guess I owe her!