Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG... - Page 10 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #136
country flag ms_nut

ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute ms_nut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rozzie's Wimbledon Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFS View Post

Like I said - a couple of folks have commented on my qualification as a fan due to my usual sarky observations on her Royal Lipglossness - let me tell you... getting out of bed earlier than I would normally for work, on my damn vacation is plenty enough qualification ... ergo I will remain to be as critical of our Glittery GOAT as I like .
OMG Ros, you said "sarky" .. is it still in use in Britain?.. my fellow-men in Ohio stare at me blankly when i use the word.

Quote:
Wimbledon 2009 - Day 2: JJ v Goerges

Let me tell thee... it was a real crush to get to the unreserved seating - soooo many people headed for this match... but the crowd was an interesting mix. A lot of people remembered her as "the one who won with that British dude... kissing all over the place" (heee)... but a lot of folks knew she'd slipped down a bit in the rankings... The curmudgeonly steward was waffling about how the lower seeds get these courts but it poses them a nightmare putting former high ranking seeds on the lower courts as the queues tend to stretch for miles. There was certainly a lot of pushing and barging to get onto Court 3 yesterday!

No-one really wanted to move... we were allowed to come and go until 11:45 but I'd say pretty much everyone parked their arses and stayed put! and jealously watched those people who got proper tickets for the reserved side come wandering in when they felt like it. Pfft!
People queuing to see JJ...

Thanks Ros.BTW, what kind of coach is Chip Hooper.. was he biting his nails and jumping out of his seat everytime JJ won a point (like Marco & Ricardo.. who are quite afraid of being sacked if JJ loses too many matches.. so i don't blame them) or was he the cool,calm,collected and dignified type?
ms_nut is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #137
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_nut View Post
OMG Ros, you said "sarky" .. is it still in use in Britain?.. my fellow-men in Ohio stare at me blankly when i use the word.

People queuing to see JJ...

Thanks Ros.BTW, what kind of coach is Chip Hooper.. was he biting his nails and jumping out of his seat everytime JJ won a point (like Marco & Ricardo.. who are quite afraid of being sacked if JJ loses too many matches.. so i don't blame them) or was he the cool,calm,collected and dignified type?
OMG Sarky is THE word to use here!!! I love it... but I am now just giggling at the thought of people just looking at you blankly, thinking it's some Japanese table wine!!!

Chip was hilarious! Everytime JJ zinged a serve in that Goerges dumped in the net or returned wide he'd hold his arms aloft and holler "GREAT serve"... between him and Sanchez thumping his chest like a tennis-whites-clad King Kong it was highly entertaining.
I guess Chip REALLY believes in the power of positive reinforcement. Sanchez believes in the power of a hollered VAMOS [/chest thump]

Marko was often yelling "BRAVO JELENA" when she won... and the other dude in the pink shirt - christ only knows who he is - I'm almost certain it's not Speedo-boy... is that the often hidden brother Stefan?

Pick Strategy is ALL: JJ is merely the weapon of choice...

JM: [pause, followed by a guilty look] Ah yeah. That's possible.

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
RFS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #138
country flag redsonja

redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future redsonja has a brilliant future

Quote:
Chip was hilarious! Everytime JJ zinged a serve in that Goerges dumped in the net or returned wide he'd hold his arms aloft and holler "GREAT serve"...
Aweeeeeeeeesome!
JELENA JANKOVIC: A little bit. I don't want to speak French. I don't want to do anything. I am not in the mood now.
redsonja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #139
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was actually praying to the serving gods at one stage

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #140
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like JJ's got herself a great 5-men hollering team!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #141
country flag RFS

Highlights of yesterday's trip...
Sveta
Mauresmo
Puppy (yes really... I blame my mum!
JJ - and she WALKED PAST ME!!!!!
and to top it off... Jamie/Liezel!!!!

Dropping mum off at the bus stop and then I'll blog...

Did I mention in other posts - JJ was awesome yesterday... if she plays like that going forward......

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #142
country flag Wrekin

Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold Wrekin is a splendid one to behold

Been away for 48 hours, started reading this, but I've got work to do....

It's going to have to be bedtime reading. Great pics though!

@ms-nut

What's your background, if you don't mind me asking?

Indian flag, Ohio location, British roots apparently....
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #143
country flag RFS

Day 4: Sveta v Parmentier
Here we go for what may well be my last trip for this year...
I had a day off yesterday to go pick up my mum who was coming with me... and we had complementary ground passes so no pressure to get there super-early, but a quick squizz at the OOP showed that a quick gallop would be in order from the Park and Ride gate to Court 3... never easy with a wheezy mum who sounds like Puffing Billy on a bad day!

However... we could see LOADS of seats available ... and the ground court schedule was pretty good and I was worried we'd have a bit of a parting of the waves, as mum REALLY wanted to see the Williams sisters on neighbouring Court 4 later in the day, I quite wanted to see Elena Baltacha and I also wanted to queue (sigh...) for Court 2 tickets. Now... the Merry widow is NOT the worl's biggest JJ fan, so this was gonna be a hard sell as she wanted to hold out for Centre Court tickets... so I spent a LOT of time persuading her she REALLY wanted to see Santoro (yes, really!)

Anyhooooo - we got to Court 3, and managed to get to the third row, on the OTHER side of the chairs from where I was for JJ's R1 match... and we settled down and chatted to a couple of happy campers who'd been queueing all week... that's so totally a YOUNG person's gig!

We did get a bit of a treat - we had Carlos Ramos come down to talk to his 2 nephews (and his brother, I guess)

Kuznetsova v Parmentier

On they came and I really didn't know much about Paremntier - so this was going to be an interesting one, especially given that Kuzy also got despatched early from Eastbourne...

From the outset - it was clear that the winner would be whoever could mix up their game. Paermentier is a good clean hitter of the ball - and both of them were flattening the ball out constantly - some v good rallies and Paremntier is VERY reminiscent of an in-form Mauresmo...
I think where she lost the game was that she would default to trying to generate pace off the ball and hit hard and she was waiting for those chip and charge opportunities... Sveta just seemed to have the edge to read the game - and in a way I wish I'd had the chance to see her and Mauresmo in dubs...

Sveta wasn't really troubled - but it was amusing to hear her stepping up some grunting every now and again!!!

So Sveta safely thru - it was time for a spot of lunch, ice cream, and then to try and see what else we could see....

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #144
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't Sveta's outfit have too many coloured bits on it? I watched some of her match, I thought she was playing well.

Go Sexlana!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #145
country flag RFS

Day 4: Ivanovic v Errani

After Sveta we had to scoot off for lunch, and one of the bonuses of watching with my mum is... never ending food!!!
So - Fish and chips and then Haagen Daas ice-cream - yum!

We decided to head up to the Ticket resale queue.... I went off to find my friend who was there today with her mother, and she's gotten an AWESOME spot by the giant ponds at the back - with a bunch of mad Aussies cheering on Lleyton against Del Pony... I sat there for a bit and then trundled back to see where mum was in the queue (a leeeeeeetle worried, 'cos Ellen had walked up and down the queue twice and hadn't seen her!)

She had gotten a good spot... nowhere near as far back as I'd been the Tuesday before. So we swapped around for a bit... and for some reason I'd forgotten that Puppy was playing today. When I checked the screens, she was down and mum (being all small 'n' all basically bustled herself to the front of the railings to watch... so I felt duty bound to try and reclaim some insurance on the camera... I mean take a couple of shots, before rejoining the queue...

And so in dribs and drabs - tickets were coming available for Court 1 where Duck-Boy was doing his thing... We had also wanted to go see Elena Baltacha but after losing the first set, she was getting postively beasted in the second...

At last... the steward came round with a pair of tickets for Court 2... but the woman in front only wanted a single... so I had to let her take one of them, and someone a little further up came and took the other one.

I was a little gutted, but it was the RIGHT thing to do, and also - I was half hoping that Centre court tix would start coming in once Caro-verated took to the court... as much of a JJ fan as I am (yes, really!)... I would so have ditched her for Muzz if the oportunity had arisen!

But... a few seconds later... the guy came back to find us, called me extremely noble for giving up a pair of tickets ( ) and gave us the next pair of tickets that came up.

Rozzie "Noble" Blogger... that's me all over, y'all

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #146
country flag RFS

Day 4: Mauresmo v Kucova

We wandered by to see the Williams if we could... but the queue was unreal. You werent' even allowed to go down the open side of Court 4 (which was pretty sad for the people playing on Court 5 I guess unless people were already there!)... But we could see seats for the Mauresmo match which was in full swing - Amelie had already taken the first set - and it looked quite convincing... so we queued for that... and got on for the 2nd set

Kucova had no game - Amelie is still a very popular champ here and people were rooting for her - although she won the second quite easily - that didn't stop her being magentically drawn to the net half the time she was serving.
I was joking with the firewoman who was on duty on the stairwell - she got called up to the standing area where someone had fainted, and she thought that Amelie would have finished the match in that time... umm has she seen Amelie trying to close out a match?

Amelie done and dusted... it was time to get over to Court 2...

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #147
country flag RFS

Day 4: Santoro v Ferrero
So... much as I LOVE watching Santoro... I was kinda praying that this would be a quickie...so I was a little downhearted to see that it was at least going to be a 4 setter... but... minutes into watching it was easy to get caught up in the Magician's marvel.

It's obvious that these two guys are not the young men they once where - yes even Ferrero seemed to be struggling a little... but the tennis was really good - nice and evenly matched I'd say - but you knew that if Ferrero got a break, then that would be the set - and an awkward twist and stumble seemed to trouble Fabrice a bit - he seemed to have tweaked his back...

And the new Court 2... is pretty neat - a nice compact court (although me and the woman I was sat next to were driven BATTY by some jazz trumpeter out on the tea lawn doing his thing... not to mention a truly irritating little brat behind me - I felt for his mother... she did try and shut the little monster up, but was largely unsuccessful!) Still he supplied us with a lot of amusement - I guess he'd irritated the other people around so they laughed LOTS when he was challenging me to name who'd be in the Men's Semis... and was all "it will be Andy v Del Potro"...
Rozzie: Now... would this be the Del Potro that just fell in straight sets to Lleyton Hewitt
Brat: No - you're wrong
Rozzie: No, no... I think you'll find I'm very right!

Other gems included:
The doubles (to be played - Baltacha and someone, plus Jamie/Liezel) will be on Court 13
Rozzie: Ummm... there IS no Court 13
Brat: There IS
[some minutes later after Brat consults mum's programme]
Brat: Why isn't there a Court 13... that's stupid
Rozzie (under her breath)... Well SOMETHING'S sure stoopid... and it AIN'T the court numbering scheme!

Anyway... more gems from the gormless Liam (that was his name, but Brat seems so much more apt) later....

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #148
country flag RFS

Day 4: Jankovic v Benesova

Well more gems from Brat:
Brat: Is Djokovic her husband, or her brother?
Brat's Mum: Liam, Be QUIET!
My Mum: [convulsing in fits of giggles]
Woman sat next to me: Oh PLEASE
Woman behind me: [heavy sigh] ... I guess she'd had to put up with him ALL day!

Benesova was there... Ump was there... no JJ...
And ...
No JJ...
Annnnnd a little bit longer...
STILL no JJ.
Lots of slow hand-clapping and I was beginning to worry to be honest - not that she'd defaulted, and I would imagine she had trouble either finding the court or GETTING to the court because quite a few Britskis were now playing on the outside and the security guards were bein a bit gittish and stopping people from coming down the middle during the Williams match - so I suspected they were doing the same. Either that or she had rolled up to Court 3 thinking THAT was #2...

She did get a few boos and I was a bit concerned that the crowd would then root for Benesova and therefore unsettle her...
But worry not - she also got a lot of clapping - a lot of people had come in with returns tickets for this ... People behind me in the queue had definately wanted to see her, calling her "the Star draw"...

yep - that jacket thing doesxn't look ANY better the 2nd time...

JJ got a DREAM start... she was business like and brisk from the outset.
Benesova... I dunno... there was no rhythm to her game (but not unusual from the start) but there was no real defining style to her game today - she wasn't trying to generate pace, she wasn't trying to hit flat to keep the ball low... she just... was blah...

JJ's ninja serve was on bloody FIRE today....

cue more Bratisms
Brat: God she hits it fast
[lots of giggling from those of us in the know]

Rozzie: Aces? ACES!!!!
I was GIDDY
She is definately getting much more racquet head speed though that swing... and even her second serve is getting her some points - although let's be fair - Goerges/Benesova are a very different kettle of fish to Williams who will be still looking to punish that second serve. BUT - we've seen how that can still discombobulate - so... we'll see.

All along the game you could hear Sneki "Come ON JJ, Come ON [clap clap]" Heee!
Chip is hilarious to watch... arms aloft - all he's missing is a lighter and some 80's Power Ballad!

Her movement today was spot on - and she was firing well...
Best thing to see was her getting down low for those flatter shots...

It was getting pretty late - and as they flashed up the scores of the other matches going on... we saw that jamie Murray/Liezel Huber had gone down a set in the First Round of the mixed - after Jamie's AWFUL R1 of the Mens Dubs - someone yelled out from the back "Hurry Up Jelena, Jamie needs help!"

So ... off we scampered to Court 3 - which was PACKED as we could see...
but on the way round the back of the courts, there was a voice saying "stop and stand aside please" and who should be led through... but JJ!!! I tried to whip out my camera... but got the wrong pocket and got a warm bottle of 7-Up instead. She was soooo close... and... lovely.
She stopped to sign an autograph for a little kid and then then disappered!!!

AWESOME!

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #149
country flag RFS

Day 4: Jamie Murray/Liezel Huber v Rik De Voest/Raquel Kops-Jones
So still reeling a little from not being able to get a photo of JJ up close, and taking a swig of the 7-Up bottle that materialised from my backpack pocket instead... we joined the shortest queue - but Jamie/Liezel were serving at 4-5 and I really doubted we'd see him, or if we did - it would be to lose.
They seemed to have lost the first set so convincingly...

God bless the stewards of Court 3 - they had put it on this court and by now it was really hardened fans staying to watch, and they just basically said to us as we filed in "sit ANYWHERE"... we hustled down to the front and it was getting so dark by now...

The crowd were really rauscous... there was really no shortage of support.
Jamie's serve - I can't work out if he's really going for his shots and placement, and that's why he's netting/letting a lot, or whether he's really truly magnetically drawn to the net - but it was a bloody nail-biting affair...

He and Liezel actually have a pretty good partnership - she seems to be a lot more humerous now than when she first started playing with him... she scored a rare ace and was fist-pumping away and more importantly getting involved with the crowd... she was whipping them up a storm last night...

They scrambled themselves to a tie-break and were just ROMPING away with it at 6-1... then Jamie serving it out...

Again - when he serves in - that is one pretty deep hefty serve... and it really did cause a few issues for the oppostition... but... that's when it GOES in!!!!
That 6-1 lead soon evaporated... and I have to say - Liezel's serve just scares the living crap out of me... it hangs in the hair for the absolute longest time, and her serve action is so languid - but it is obviously preety effective in dubs for her... so who am I to judge, I guess...

All I can say was it was an awesome scrap to take the TB... and the crowd went MENTAL!

Jamie was being watched by Judy, Louis Cayer, and Alan MacDonald and quite frankly I feel happier that Louis seems to be back at the helm of watching/coaching Jamie. I did wonder (when Louis became part of Andy's team) whether Jamie's progress would suffer, and it would appear so.
There are times when there are real flashed of that Stretch Magic of the J&J run of 2007, but to my mind the rest of the time, he almost seems to be over thinking things. His best point scoring was when his reactions were just instinctive...

Liezel started joining in the by now obligatory mexican wave... she's got the measure of the brit crowd, that girl... get 'em on your side and they will roar you home.

Some inspired play from them from now on - their first game was a tough hold for Jamie... but I think once they broke de Voest/Kops-Jones, the crowd were just deafening...

That last shot was an accidental flash shot - by now it was so dark with Liezel serving it out.. I'm surprised they could see ANYTHING!!!

They took the match - and it was just AWESOME... anyone would think they'd bloody won the title.

This gives you an idea of just how dark it was at the end:

But let me leave y'all with this thought...
J&J went down a set, and had to win a tie break and the third in THEIR first round match two years ago...

This may well be the last blog from this year ... and what a way to end it... JJ's awesome match where she proved she means business, and Jamie/Liezel....

Keeping fingers crossed I get another chance to go, but until then... happy for a day off and a chance to watch on the TV (even if it IS Serena on at the moment!)

Last edited by RFS : Jun 26th, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #150
дalex

Thank you Rozzie.

Serve average speed was really good for JJ yesterday, both on 1st and 2nd. No matter who she's playing against, those were some really good serves.

I was impressed, but can she keep it up? We'll see....