Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #1
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute
Rozzie's Tennis Blogs - Wimbledon, USO, ATP Finals, RG...

WIMBLEDON: DAY 2
Part 1: Venus v Naomi Cavaday

So... On a whim I logged on to the link in the Wimbledon newsletter the night before and after about 5 goes, I managed to nab 2 centre court tickets to the new seats at the back of Centre - so up in the gods a bit, but hey ho!

We got to Wimbledon late because... on another whim to try and get the returns tickets for Centre that come on sale 2 days before play... (only 2 attempts this time, yay! - now PUT JJ ON CENTRE!)

I was joking to my mum (up for the week for the 2 complementary ground pass tickets I have) that at worst we'd miss Venus taking the first set - so imagine my shock as we stopped off at the SkyView boxes in the lift up to the heavens-seats when I saw the score as Cavaday leading Venus 3-1!!

We were in the first of the new rows, and had a pretty unobstructed view for most of the match.

Naomi held her own brilliantly in that first set - Venus' body language wavered loads from aggressive shrieking to sometimes dejected plodding 'cos she just couldn't put Naomi away. Naomi had absolutely nothing to lose and really went for her shots big time...

She was getting visibly tired in the TB though, and Venus was doing just enough to hang in, so I guess when she (NC) lost it 7-5 - her dip was inevitable... but she got a standing ovation as she left!

Pick Strategy is ALL: JJ is merely the weapon of choice...

JM: [pause, followed by a guilty look] Ah yeah. That's possible.

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE

Last edited by RFS : Jun 6th, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Un-titchifying the photos
RFS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #2
country flag RFS

RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute RFS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rozzie's Wimbledon Blog

Rafa v Beck

Having spent the morning rushing about at home - we nicked off to go meet my mate who works in the IT dept of the AELTC for some freebie Robinsons and for me to shamelessly try and test the waters to see if I could blag a Programme for today!!

Then we scooted back (finding another lift - mum's happy, 'cos it's like 80 steps up there!)... bit of shameless flirting on MY part with the fireman guarding the entrance, who kindly let us sneak in to 2 seats right at the top corner to watch a bit before being able to go back to our seats at the change of ends...

Rafa Never. Stops. Moving - seriously... the energy of the man!
Beck did really well actually - just single breaks in the first 2 sets and then the TB I think (I was off and queueing for Court 1 tickets by that point)...

I did try to capture the famous wedgie-move which is oh so much more funny to see in real life. Wonder if he knows that there's a Pharmacy somewhere in the grounds - bit of Prep H would clear his discomfort up NO end!

Rozzie's Tennis Blogs are now contained in The Chalkdust Chronicles - Click HERE

Last edited by RFS : Jun 27th, 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Un-titchifying the photos
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
bit of shameless flirting on MY part with the fireman guarding the entrance, who kindly let us sneak in to 2 seats right at the top corner to watch a bit before being able to go back to our seats at the change of ends...
Shameless flirting
Lovin those titchy pics, babe. I really do - they make the Rozzie blog pretty.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #4
country flag RFS

Murray v Santoro

I'd left about half way thru Rafa's 3rd set to go join the MASSIVE queue for tickets...
Shrieky won her match on C1 not long after and loads of people were heading up here for tickets for either Murray or Duck Boy.
I was in front of a couple of ladies who were JJ fans so we spent the time being very British and poking fun at the Honorary Stewards and various people who were all "ok when you say you have tickets for Court 2, do you mean Court 2, or some other Court?!"

Most people wanted centre and the queue was moving achingly slowly and I was coming over all patriotic and really wanted to get back to see Andy in action...

After Shrieky's match finished and while the Beeb were doing a bit of a round up of Andy's Wimbledon last year (which was basically him watching J&J so they had a lot of Jamie and Jelena and the "well at least ONE Murray got his name on a trophy!" the queue suddenly took off... basically after matches (especially as we were getting towards the end of the day) there was a massive influx of tickets and there I was - with 2 Court 1 tickets for the cost of a tenner!!!

I pegged it back to Centre to catch the knock up and we were off.
Stayed for two sets... and the tennis was sublime
Fabrice Santoro is amazing - the gets, the angles etc - awesome.
And... Mandy Muppet was surprisingly good also - some amazing shots and his drop shots were working well.

Santoro started the second set on a roll - in fact I was wondering whether Andy was just gonna ditch that set and try to take it in 4 sets - but he came back really well.

It was a shame to leave it... but... there was JJ to watch!

Last edited by RFS : Jun 27th, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Un-titchifying the photos
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #5
country flag RFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalex View Post
Shameless flirting
Lovin those titchy pics, babe. I really do - they make the Rozzie blog pretty.
Not sure how to make them bigger because they can be - they came out pretty good - but image shack is being a pain at the moment... so titchy it will have to be.

Oh there was WAYYYYY more shameless flirting... my ma was shocked at me!!

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
country flag RFS

Roddick v Schwank

I didn't realise just HOW much I wanted to watch this as I fair sprinted across the place to get to Court 1. This went down not so well with the aged parent who scowled a lot at me!

Meanwhile Alex was texting me Duck boy updates... and at one stage my mum was all let me get this straight... you are here... and you are getting texts from someone in SERBIA with Roddick's progress????

Got up to where we needed to be and was trying to jump up and down to see if I could see what was going on - which attracted the attention of the 2 firemen (it was my day for them... ) guarding the entrance - I pointed out that actually all I could see was his socks and complemented him on nice ankles... mum's face... look on... priceless!!!)
The other fireman was tickled by this and let us sneak in to watch the TB and Duck boy did good... but BOY does that guy's ass stick out!!!

And so that was over... we shuffled over to where we had to sit and...

Last edited by RFS : Jun 27th, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Un-titchifying the photos
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #7
дalex

дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute дalex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFS View Post
Oh there was WAYYYYY more shameless flirting... my ma was shocked at me!!
It seems to me you shocked your ma quite a few times yesterday...Shameless flirting, foul language...bad Rozzie.

I love them titchy, those pics. I wouldn't mind them bigger but if it's titchy it's titchy. And I bet players are still titchy in the big ones. Please forget I wrote this, I'm just practicing my 'titchy' vocabulary.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #8
country flag RFS

They are bigger - I'll try and get them into imageshack later - I'm linking to them from Flikr at the moment...

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #9
дalex

Quote:
Meanwhile Alex was texting me Duck boy updates... and at one stage my mum was all let me get this straight... you are here... and you are getting texts from someone in SERBIA with Roddick's progress????
Say hi to your mom from me. Smart lady! And then you txt me saying "you sure I'm not costing you a fortune". It's not a fortune but people are starving in Africa you know...j/k

Quote:
which attracted the attention of the 2 firemen (it was my day for them... ) guarding the entrance - I pointed out that actually all I could see was his socks and complemented him on nice ankles... mum's face... look on... priceless!!!)
That *is* shameless.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #10
country flag RFS

JJ!!!oh yeah... vs Savchuck

I really didn't appreciate how nervous I would be watching her for real...
Anyway - they trundled on - Pic on the scoreboard is the older one, and Lynn Welch is JUST as school-marmy in Wimbledon Raph Lauren togs!!!

Out they came - JJ looking fairly relaxed and hoppity skippety at the net - very smiley while Lynn was doing all the usual faff with the rules and the coin toss ... by now it was getting a bit nippy...

Had a quick look around and spied Sneki and Sanchez - he really didn't stay sat down for long - up and down, and also writing in his notebook lots and lots

And then we were off...
It was strange - Crowd always is quite quiet at the start because a lot of people leave and it takes a while for people get themselves back - first three games went with serve and were comfortable enough - and thes nooty types behind me were all "oooh that's not good - she's losing"... Mum of course was muttering (equally loudly) NO... IT'S WITH SERVE!!! ... Battle of the old biddies with Rozzie in the middle - hmmm not good!!!

Anyway... Off we went again and here's my thoughts on her play:
There is a fair bit of pop to that serve and JJ was really pretty business like in her approach.
I don't know that I ever remember her coming in on someone's 2nd serve (although Olga's 2nd was quite weak at times, so made sense)...

It's also really much more obvious watching her that she refers to her camp... A LOT... way more that you see on TV

Her first ace earned a COME ON holler from me much to the disgust of the old biddies behind me (and mum because I was sat on her deaf side, but she sure heard THAT!!!)

Little fistpumps (nowhere near as irritating as Ana's in real life) and appluading good passing shots from Olga were all trademarks, as well as the little hops accompanying hits etc...
One of her strengths (and Olga wasn't bad either) was her ability to get down low for shots - some real net-skimmers...

Also some suspiciously long shots (both of them benefitted) - but by now it was gettin' pretty gloomy - BLOODY freezing...

Ok- so first set was business as usual and JJ ripped through the second... crowd were gettin' happier... but yeah - pretty irritated by COME ON OLGA man - but then - we Brits love an underdog (well some of us do!!!)

Found myself feeling VERY nervous at 5-0 - anticipating a picnic... AND I wasn't disappointed...
More tsk tsk-ing from the women above me so I knowledgeably turned round to mommy dearest and acted like it was all business as usual... but let me tell y'all... watching her give up BPs, then get broken... stomach churning like you wouldn't believe.
Of course it was getting dark - so that's why the last few photos are more blurry - because Lynn was telling off the crowd for flash photography, yada yada...

So... that at 5-2 - I had my head in my heads muttering all the usual Cheering Thread platitudes of Christ on a BIKE JJ... BREAK... GAHHHH
and Ok ok - serve it out.. no... hold... HOLD DAMMIT...
followed by the Rozzie trademark oh COME THE FUCK ON JJ!!! - Now THAT earned a really reproachful full-naming from Mommy and so much tsk tsking from behind me that I swear their dentures were gonna fall out.

Oh - and I couldn't text Alex as much as I wanted 'cos we were sat right in the eyeline of a fireman, (who was OK with the fact I texted at the CoEs and thought it was cool I was texting Serbia...) but some snotty young Hon Steward woman who (even for JJ) I was NOT going to shamelessly flirt with - but... ON the shameless flirting front - 4 of London's Fire Brigade in 1 day - pretty good going, no?

With all the Deuce-Ad/Deuce-Ad-ing that was going on - Savchuk was hitting some good shots - JJ was in between shrugging her shoulders at Sanchez as if to say "what can I do, what more can I try" and smiling wryly when Savchuk managed to get her back to Deuce... BUT - she DID it!!!

Gives you an idea of how dark it was by the time they finished, 'cos I didn't switch it back to flash for her farewell wave!

And thus concludes my first Day's blogging.
We're going to try and park ourselves to watch Amelie, maybe Marion and possibly Dinara today...

And then hopefully Jamie watch tomorrow in between some more top flight action...

Thanks y'all - you've been a great audience

Last edited by RFS : Jun 27th, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Un-titchifying the photos
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #11
дalex

Quote:
Battle of the old biddies with Rozzie in the middle - hmmm not good!!!
Quote:
followed by the Rozzie trademark oh COME THE FUCK ON JJ!!! - Now THAT earned a really reproachful full-naming from Mommy and so much tsk tsking from behind me that I swear their dentures were gonna fall out.

Quote:
who was OK with the fact I texted at the CoEs and thought it was cool I was texting Serbia...
You even got to tell him where you texting? Those ankles must have really impressed you.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #12
country flag RFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalex View Post

You even got to tell him where you texting? Those ankles must have really impressed you.
Different fireman - but Lynn had just done her warning and I was still texting, so he leaned over to tell me to stop so I just said I'm covering this for a Jankovic Fan forum, and relaying my thoughts straight to my correspondent in Serbia
He just laughed and said it was ok but make sure the ringer was off.
Anyway - it was so damn noisy OUTSIDE the court, you'd have never heard the ringer!

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #13
дalex

Brilliant, babe! Love this blog! Love being your correspondent as well...
Stay shameless, it makes a good read.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #14
country flag Ian Aberdon

Ian Aberdon has disabled reputation

OFF COURT sounds just as interesting as what went on ON COURT!!

Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht it's a braw moonlicht nicht the nicht
Ian Aberdon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #15
country flag Tashi

Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold Tashi is a splendid one to behold

Awesome Rozzie! Totally awesome.