Gussy Moran - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:05 AM   #1
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Question Gussy Moran

Who was she?

I read somewhere that Venus & Serena: "are the best thing to happen to tennis since Gussy Moran".

Yes/No?

Indexed.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 16th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:48 PM   #2
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
I found this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/events/wi...nes/114681.stm
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:38 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool link Irma
I put up a link in the 40's thread too. Gussie sure did cause a stir!

http://www.petticoated.com/gussie19.htm
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:42 PM   #4
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Thanx but I've seen that link irma, and all the photos are dead

Rollo, that's a really nice link all the photos are up there and it's really informative.

I thought she was from the 70's or 80's Gosh she's from the 40's!

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Link to an article on "Gorgeous Gussy" from 2004--when you read on you'll realize it's an ad for an auction of her signing panties! Hopefully she's better off now. As TrivFun mentioned, it's a pity there isn't a fund for former players down on their luck.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/6/prweb137569.htm

Gussy Moran - A piece of Tennis History. From thrilling the Tennis world with frilly panties to having to auction those panties to raise funds.In 1949, Gussy Moran, a nationally ranked amateur from California, shocked the crowd at Wimbledon by wearing white lace panties designed by Teddy Tinling under her tennis skirt. Cameramen were laying on the ground to shoot photos of her underwear and soon the photos were appearing in publications all over the world. Overnight, "Glamorous Gussy" or "Gorgeous Gussy" was an international celebrity.

PRWEB) June 30, 2004 -- In 1949, Gussy Moran, a nationally ranked amateur from California, shocked the crowd at Wimbledon by wearing white lace panties designed by Teddy Tinling under her tennis skirt.

Cameramen were laying on the ground to shoot photos of her underwear and soon the photos were appearing in publications all over the world. Overnight, "Glamorous Gussy" or "Gorgeous Gussy" was an international celebrity. She went on to play professionally - with the Bobby Riggs tour, appear in movies, broadcast baseball & write articles for numerous magazines.

Today, she lives in California barely getting by on Social Security. A small group of tennis people have taken Gussy under their wing and are raising money to help Gussy improve her standard of living. To that end, she has reluctantly signed a very limited number of lace panties & tennis balls.

Major tennis museums around the world have gladly accepted a pair of Gussy's panties to add to their collections. The remaining items, which are now at auction with Ebay, will be sold with 100% of the proceeds going directly to Gussy.

Included in this auction is the only pair of panties that she signed "Glamorous Gussy", an autographed tennis ball with her complete name, a shadow box to display the panties, a photo of her autographing items earlier this year with Bud Collins & a photo of her holding one of her endorsed tennis rackets.

This is a one of a kind group never to be offered together again. Not only will the winning bidder gain a historic piece of tennis memorabilia for their collection, they will also be helping a lady who gave her life to the sport of tennis.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A fuller article with good pics----I bolded some parts..

http://www.petticoated.com/gussie19.htm

Over the last year and a half, I have received quite a few notes from readers who are in love with ruffled tennis panties, which they say make them feel very sissy. I have been surprised to discover that few know how this fashion, prominent in the 70s and 80s especially, began. With the Wimbledon Tennis Championships upon us, I thought it would be interested to take a brief look at the player who sensationally started it all.

Gertrude Moran was an American tennis star who played at the Wimbledon Tournament in 1949, and wished to play in a coloured dress set. At this time, and for many years thereafter, the All-England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club had very strict rules about the dress code of players, and playing in anything but pure white was verboten.

Gertrude Moran's answer was to send shock waves around the world, and was to make the 1949 Wimbledon Championships possibly the most widely publicised and fondly remembered in history. On June 20, 52 years ago, she appeared on the hallowed Centre Court wearing (for its day) a short tennis dress with ruffled, lace-trimmed knickers peeping out below the hem. They had been designed and sewn by Teddy Tinling, a former tennis player of note turned fashion designer. Of course he was to become famous in future years for his daring, and ravishingly frilly, tennis outfits for women players, but at this time he was comparatively unknown.

The effect was electric - this was the first time in history that ladies' knickers had been fully and intentionally put on broad public display. The dignified home of the All-England Club was not a burlesque house or music hall. Chaotic scenes developed as photographers fought with each other over back court areas where they could lie flat on the ground to catch the most risque shots
of Gertrude's powerhouse serve for newspapers around the globe.

The conservative members were outraged, but the public loved it; it was much more cheerful fun than watching spoiled whiners like John McEnroe arguing the point with the linesmen would ever be. One member who was lunching with Teddy Tinling berated him with the remark, 'You have put sin and vulgarity into tennis'. However Teddy and Gertrude did the club no harm in gate takings - it was, as one wise-cracking American sportswriter expressed it, a 'box office bonanza'.

Gertrude didn't do as well at Wimbledon as was expected, and years later admitted that the incredible publicity had fatally put her off her game. But her naughty knickers did earn her the sobriquet, by which she was known forever after, of 'Gorgeous Gussie', a reference to her knickers rather than her - she was not outstandingly beautiful, although it would be quite unfair to judge her by the picture at the top of this page. Any woman player under the intense concentration of Wimbledon will look rather grim and severe.

In 1950 she joined Bobby Riggs' professional tennis circuit, and was a huge drawcard on the strength of her saucy frillies. She was also an excellent tennis player of course - she would hardly have been playing in the Wimbledon Championships if it were otherwise. In 1952 she even appeared as herself in a Spencer Tracy - Katherine Hepburn comedy, 'Pat and Mike', directed by George Cukor. There is no doubt that her name would have sent the cinema box office spinning as male patrons lined up to buy tickets. In 1972 she had become a radio host in California, but I do not know what became of her in later years.

One article, discussing many years later an unscheduled nude appearance on Centre Court, evoked memories of 'Gorgeous Gussie':

'This provocative act paled the memory of 'Gorgeous Gussie' Moran who, in 1949, paraded on Centre Court wearing a pair of risqué lacy, ruffled panties under her tennis dress. Designer and tennis aficionado Ted Tinling, who collected ten quid for his trouble, designed and sewed the outfit. The caper almost cost him alienation from Wimbledon, the tournament he loved. The sexy panties were labeled as 'undignified' by the Club. One might wonder what this latest scenario was labeled...'

Gussie Moran was one of the great originals, and she sensationally introduced a fashion in tennis attire that was to last for forty years. It has vanished now, and the politically correct BBC has even banned television shots of female players sighting from below the waist. It is a far cry from the sea of newspaper photographers who lay down on the ground behind the base line, cameras pointing skywards, as Gussie Moran tossed the snow white ball in the air to serve to her opponent. I couldn't find a picture of one of her serves, which is a pity. If any readers can help out, please contact me. Her knickers, I might add, were somewhat different from the ruffle-seated tennis panties of the 1970s. They were longer in the leg, and had few ruffles, but most noticeably had a broad trimming of lace around the leg - they were more like French knickers. When I was young, right up to the 1970s, frilly knickers were, in Britain at least, coloquially referred to as 'gorgeous gussies', in fond memory of probably the most photographed female player in Wimbledon history.

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Gussie has a brief appearance on court for about 10 minutes in a Spencer Tracy-Kate Hepburn movie called "Pat and Mike". It's a fun movie and you see how they hit the ball back in the day.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Link to an article on the Betz-Moran pro tour--which lost money and convinced Jack Kramer that women could not carry a tour as the star attractions. Pauline beat up on Moran, often winning by lopsided scores.

Jack said that he and Bobby Riggs tried to talk Pauline into tanking or even "spraining an ankle", making her cry. When Alfa and I asked about this she didn't recall it.

http://tennis.quickfound.net/history/jack_kramer.html

Betz upstaged Gussie on opening night by wearing a leopard print skirt shown in the article.

Last edited by Rollo : Jan 18th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The lace that made her famous. I think like Anna Kournikova the focus on her sex appeal hurt her potential as a tennis player. She was a jet setter on sorts for a while, and was engaged many times, once to an Indian maharaja!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...lery/1950.html

Sounds like the whole thing started because of Wimbledon's famous color ban. LOL@ it being debated in Parliament!

When Wimbledon officials denied Gertrude "Gussy" Moran's request to wear colors in 1950 she didn't get mad, she got even. Designer Ted Tinling created an outfit that shocked the championships: lace-trimmed panties for "Gorgeous Gussy". The undergarment was front-page news worldwide, as well as the subject of debate in Parliament.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

From an exhibit by photograher Harold Edgerton.

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #12
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

In the 60s she was still making money off of one controversy-I think this pic is from a shoot on top of a London Department store-notice the railing in the background.

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #13
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Re: Gussy Moran

RIP Gussy

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/g...118-2cx3j.html
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #14
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I just bumped an earlier thread. Too bad this can't be in GM for a bit. Can it?
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #15
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Gorgeous.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote