Articles and Interviews - Page 95 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1411
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I just found this photo in an old newsletter from the Danish Tennis Federation (no. 4, 2002):

^^^ aww, what a cutie!

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1412
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

A couple more articles from the Danish press (in danish): Translation issues then ask...

From JP/ritzau

Wozniacki's coach: There are no easy matches

From Sporten.dk

Wozniacki wavering between two playing styles
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1413
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Postcard from Oz: Wozzilroy is 'pretty cool'
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...-19/52644304/1
Quote:
Caroline Wozniacki has been No. 1 in the WTA rankings for 49 consecutive weeks. She will check in throughout the Australian Open.
I told everyone in my press conference that I arrived late because I lost my bag with my clothes. I came out of the shower in a towel, and I was looking for the bag and I saw a similar-looking one. But when I opened it I said, 'No, that's not my bag. That's not my clothes. That's not my size.' I was looking all over the room and realized I might have left it on the practice courts. Once in a while I forget things. I have a good memory, but sometimes it's very short. Like with keys. Sometimes I grab the wrong keys because I don't think.

I was treated for a blister on my toe during my match but that's hardly the worst foot injury I've had. I've broken both of my big toes and one of my little toes. Not playing tennis, though. I broke all of them by not looking and slamming my foot wearing flip-flops into stairs or things. The worst is that it's painful to play afterward. I'm a bit clumsy. My racket has gotten stuck in my hair a few times, too. I just leave it there and it hangs from my hair.
My second-round opponent (Anna Tatishvili) wasn't easy. She's very powerful. I played very well in the first set. In the second set she went for her shots, and they were going in and I stepped back a little bit and gave her opportunities to play the way she wanted.

My first round was on Rod Laver Arena but this was on the second show court, Hisense Arena. There's a bit of a difference between the two courts, mostly the roof. When you serve and toss the ball and look up, Rod Laver is more round, more open. The crowd in Laver also feels closer to you. It's more intimate.

I'll probably see my boyfriend Rory (McIlroy) after the tournament. We travel a lot so to stay in touch we phone, text, Skype — everything. I know the media have given us some names, but I like Wozzilroy. I think that's pretty cool.

I play a little golf, and he plays a little tennis. I enjoy golf. It's really a lot of fun. I enjoy it when you hit it well, but it's much harder than it looks. You think you just need to hit it with a stick. How difficult can it be? But it can be difficult. I think it's very relaxing as well, though he's not as relaxed as I am. He's a bit competitive.

On my non-playing days during Grand Slam tournaments I enjoy napping, eating and chilling out on the couch. I like to lounge and watch some tennis and see how the guys and girls are doing. With the women there's a little bit of a scouting aspect to it, but mostly I watch for pleasure. When I'm out of a tournament, I don't watch.

My third-round opponent is Monica Niculescu of Romania. She's a different kind of player. She pulls out some incredible shots sometimes, a lot of slicing and topspin and slicing again. You really need to be focused and on your toes. I'll have to try to put the pressure on her. Overall, my level is getting there. There are parts I'm happy about and parts that I'm not happy about. I'm just pleased to be in the third round and hopefully it will get better during the tournament.

— Caroline

Old Jan 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1414
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a good idea to do that blog. Mostly at majors we dont much besides interview transcripts
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1415
country flag Crockett

Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all Crockett is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Sort of similar to what happens, when Nena performs in English (if you're old enough to know Nena )
I sure am. Bring on those 99 Luftballons.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #1416
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I sure am. Bring on those 99 Luftballons.
Have you heard the latest 'version' of 99 Luftballons?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6DIAhMgTc
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1417
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
First means directly translated 'hitting the FH from the BH side', i.e. from the left side of the court, as Caroline is right handed. Sanchez has previously talked about working on Caroline's inside-out FH.
Why? Her backhand is the better shot.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1418

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Why? Her backhand is the better shot.
I'm guessing Sanchez just wants to add to her arsenal. You can hit different angles when you step aroung the BH and hit FH.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #1419
country flag CWTennis

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...046297682.html
Quote:
C. WOZNIACKI/M. Niculescu

6‑2, 6‑2

Q. How did you feel out there?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Um, I felt pretty good. I mean, it was nice weather to play in, overcast, the temperature was nice.

Yeah, I felt like it was up to me what was going to happen out there on court.

Yeah, I was pretty happy.

Q. Did the score in the first set look easier than it actually was?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I mean, we had a lot of long rallies because she got a lot of balls back. With her slice forehand as well it was tough to finish out the point sometimes.

But I don't know. I felt like I was in control.

Q. Do you think at all about the whole No. 1 situation, or just not in your mind?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: To be honest, I just play. I want to try to do my best here. Whatever happens, happens.

To be honest, I've proven myself for the last two years. I've finished No. 1 twice in a row.

For me, the most important thing is to keep improving. If I do that, I know I can play on a very high level.

If you win matches in tournaments, then the ranking will be there automatically. My main priority is just to try to play every match that I play. Of course that's pretty tough, but, yeah.

Q. You seem to come in quite a few times during this match, more than we normally see you do. Are you starting to feel more comfortable at the net?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, I've worked quite a bit on my volleys. I still think I could have finished up a few more points up there, but I'm improving and I'm trying to move in when I can sometimes.

The last I don't know how many years I've played I've always had a two‑handed backhand volley. I've tried to change that to a one‑hand.

It's just about getting the confidence to play with it in a real match as well. You can do it in practice, but it's always different to play a match.

I felt like did I pretty well.

Q. Change for more reach?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, and just it looks better, too. (Laughter.)

No, but, yeah, for more reach obviously, and then I always thought that ‑‑ I mean, the proper volley is the one‑hand backhand volley, so I try to do that.

And also my one‑handed backhand slice. I don't use it too much, but if I have to I will.

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1420
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Q. Change for more reach?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, and just it looks better, too. (Laughter.)
Silly girl.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1421

Eurosport Denmark has a reporter in Melbourne to report the happenings. Here he describes watching Caro's 3R match and some other stuff (in Danish).

MELBOURNE UNPLUGGED

Karsten Krogh er rejst halvvejs rundt om kloden for at se Australian Open. Her kan du læse hans blogindlæg om en tennisfredag Down Under.

Fredag.

Sov fantastisk og tog sporvognen ned til Rod Laver Arena. Jeg har efterhånden lært, hvor jeg skal skifte, så jeg ikke kører hele Melbourne rundt, før jeg lander det rigtige sted. Det er da en flot by, men nu har jeg ligesom set den.

Nadal var i gang med smadre en eller anden stakkels sjæl, og det var kedeligt ret hurtigt. Nadal skal jeg nok få set, når turneringen for alvor begynder for ham. Kl. Ca. 13.30 gik Caroline på i Hisense Arena mod Monica Niculescu, og der var stort set fyldt, da jeg kom derover - det der med at Caroline er populær ude i verden er ikke bare snak. Jeg satte mig foran tre ældre australske damer, som også talte om, hvor tiltalende danskeren er, og hvor meget de håbede, at hun snart ville vinde den major. Carolinites, kalder jeg hendes fans. Eller noget.

Kampen startede ret jævnbyrdigt med tidlige brud begge veje. Rumæneren spiller noget lidt underligt tennis, hvor hun blandt andet slicer meget med forhånden, og det er altså ret ualmindeligt i toptennis. Det var heller ikke noget, der rørte Caroline. Det kan godt være, at det giver nemme point at slice, når man spiller mod middelklasse-spillere, men nu spillede Niculescu altså mod verdens nummer et, og Caroline dummede sig ikke en eneste gang med bolde i nettet efter en slice. Sådan leger vi ikke i the big leagues.

I det hele taget kunne man ret hurtigt se, at det bare var en endnu en dag på kontoret for Caroline, der havde fuldstændig kontrol med kampen. Hun havde fin længde på sin forhånd – noget der godt kan være et problem for hende - og kom faktisk en del frem til nettet, for det meste med pæn succes. Det hele var overstået på fem kvarter, og jeg vil vove at påstå, at Caroline skulle have to brækkede ben for nogensinde at tabe til dagens modstander.

Pressekonferencen bagefter var kort. Der var simpelthen ikke noget at sige. Turneringen begynder i realiteten først nu for Caroline. Det bliver så også svært nok fra nu af. Først en Jankovic på vej tilbage efter skader og derefter – hvis hun vinder – Clijsters, der ser helt uhyggelig stærk ud og efter min mening – og de fleste andre journalisters hernede – må være favorit til at vinde hele turneringen. Igen.

Jeg var lige forbi Jankovic’ pressekonference og spørge, hvad der var Carolines svagheder, og hvordan hun ville udnytte dem. Hun grinede lidt af mig og sagde, at det ville hun da ikke fortælle mig – dagens dummeste spørgsmål - men hun sagde alligevel, at alle topspillerne kender hinandens spil så godt, at der ikke er de store overraskelser. Hun glædede sig til kampen, og der er ingen tvivl om, at hun regner Caroline for at være stor favorit. Hun virkede i øvrigt vældig sympatisk. Men hvorfor skulle hun ikke gøre det?

Ellers bliver der jo færre og færre kampe i turneringen, og det betyder, at der ikke er så mange kampe på de små, sjove baner, hvor man kan komme rigtigt tæt på spillerne. Så må man jo bare se dem træne, så jeg tog over for at se nogle af de absolutte topspillere slå lidt.

Først fandt jeg Tsonga, der rykkede hele to unge gutter rundt nede på baglinjen. Meget intenst – og han smilede ikke meget, selv om der stod en 300 mennesker og så på og gerne ville have et smil. Videre til næste bane hvor Monfils trænede. Det var lige så afslappet, som man kunne forvente af franskmanden. Han gik mere op i at slå på bolden mellem benene og kigge den anden vej, mens han slog, end rigtigt at træne. Da han var færdig med at serve, havde han og hans slagmakker en lille konkurrence, hvor de trillede en tennisbold fra nettet meget forsigtigt ned mod baglinjen, og vinderen var ham, der kunne stoppe bolden tættest på linjen. Monfils havde tydeligvis gjort det før, fordi han satte den under en halv meter fra linjen tre gange i træk – og der var 30 armstrækkere til makkeren. Det gør ondt at træne med Monfils. Så kunne ham knægten lære det.

Jeg nåede også lige at se Novak Djokovic slå en ti minutters tid, og det så ret koncentreret ud. Hans slagmakker fik i hvert fald en del sved på panden. Djokovic ser simpelthen så tynd ud i virkeligheden – der kan ikke være meget fedt på den lange krop. Spændende at se, om han bare smadrer hele feltet igen i år. Han er ikke nogen dårlig tennisspiller. Har et hæderligt spil.

Herefter tog jeg en tur over på Margaret for at se Frederik Løchtes overmand, Kevin Anderson, der skulle op mod verdens nummer syv, Berdych. Kæmpen Anderson fulgte fint med via sin fænomenale serv, men når bolden kom i spil, løb han rundt efter Berdychs bolde konstant. Efter to tabte tiebreakers tabte han åbenbart troen på det og tabte sidste sæt 6-1.

Sidste match jeg fik checket ud, var Stan Wawrinka mod spanske Almagro. Wawrinka fik desværre en skade tidligt og spillede nærmest for halv kraft derefter. Men hold kæft, hvor er hans baghånd lækker at se på. Bare trukket så frit og flot. Det imponerede dog ikke Almagro, der selv har en flot og effektiv baghånd, selv om den er lidt mere gruset. Han bliver altså en håndfuld for enhver, ham Almagro, hvis han selv tror på det, når han kommer op imod de bedre spillere. Hans spil ser gennemsolidt ud. Det bliver spændende at se ham mod de rigtigt gode.

Jeg overvejede i øvrigt at ringe til australsk turistforbund og brokke mig. Det var ikke mere end cirka 20 grader i dag – noget af en forandring fra mandagens 35. Det kan sgu da ikke være meningen, at man skal rejse jorden rundt for at få en gennemsnitlig dansk sommerdag! Nå, men der er lovet 32 igen mandag. På med sololien igen, og så skal jeg i øvrigt have købt et par nye shades, fordi mine gamle smeltede! True story!

Eurosport - Karsten Krogh

http://tv.eurosport.dk/tennis/storyn...o3116209.shtml
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1422
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Kl. Ca. 13.30 gik Caroline på i Hisense Arena mod Monica Niculescu, og der var stort set fyldt, da jeg kom derover - det der med at Caroline er populær ude i verden er ikke bare snak.
I take it Karsten Krogh isn't familiar with the experts in GM. Whoisniacki.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1423
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Postcard from Oz: Rivals, and jewelry from Rory (smile)

I've been wearing a new necklace in my matches. It's a Danish flag in a heart shape with diamonds and rubies. It was a Christmas gift from my boyfriend, Rory (McIlroy). I kind of thought he was going to get me jewelry. He had already given me earrings, and I wear my grandmother's bracelet on my wrist. He's such a bad liar, so when I was trying figure out what he bought me, he said, 'You'll want it, and you'll wear it.' I said, 'Is it clothes?' He said, 'No.' I said, 'Is it jewelry?' And he said, 'Um, no.' And I said, 'OK, it's jewelry!' And he admitted that it was.

Since I was in Dubai for Christmas he was scared to mail it. He gave it to me in Thailand. When he handed it to me he was just looking at me, trying to figure out what I was thinking. I was speechless for a second. It was so thoughtful, and I was so happy. I love it. I also got him a necklace with a cross, plus a couple of shirts and a hoodie.
I'm not big on New Year's resolutions. I'm never good at those. I try to do one and the next day I forget it. Once I tried to give up chocolate, and that lasted a week. I don't know why I wanted to give up chocolate. How stupid.
There's been a lot in the news about men's players wanting changes with the number of events and prize money. I haven't been following it too closely. We have our own problems in the WTA. I think the ATP is doing pretty well with the prize money. They are earning more than us at the regular tournaments (non-Grand Slam). But we have a lot of mandatory tournaments as well which we have complained about. We are trying to change things as well, so I think we have some similar problems.
I'm pretty active on Twitter. I like reaching out to my fans. I follow a few people as well — Rory; my brother; singer Rihanna; Serena; a few soccer players as well. Andy Roddick comes up with some funny tweets, too. I tweet from any location. I have my phone and just tweet — at a pool, at dinner, everywhere. Once I think I did it from a helipad in Dubai.
I often get asked about being No. 1 and not winning a major. To be honest, I just enjoy playing. I won the most matches last year and the year before. People have to have something to talk about. I think a lot of people would like to be in my position. I think a lot of times it seems easy from the outside, but if it was that easy everyone would do it.
There are plenty of great rivals that want to take it from me. Serena is always playing well when she's healthy. Kim Clijsters, too, and my friend, Victoria Azarenka, has been playing well lately. Don't forget Petra Kvitova, either. There's quite a few very good players out there.
I saw that video of Marcos Baghdatis destroying all his rackets one after the other. I thought that was just hilarious. I have broken a couple of course over the years, but not like him. Another great racket breaker was Marat Safin.
My next opponent is Jelena Jankovic. She's really strong from the baseline and prefers her backhand side. She moves great so it's going to be a match with a lot of long rallies. But I feel like I am improving with each match here in Melbourne. I'm getting there.
— Caroline
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tenni...-21/52700412/1
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1424
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an article about Caro's match against Niculescu at the Australian Open:

http://blogs.tennis.com/racquet_reac...niculescu.html
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1425
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Postcard every day in USA Today. That's pretty high profile. Her articles are also displayed prominently on USA Today's sport page ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote