Articles and Interviews - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #61
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...621126671.html
Quote:
Wozniacki looks to become new “It Girl”

Thursday, September 10, 2009
By Matt Cronin

After the hard-hitting Sabine Lisicki blew her off the court at Wimbledon, Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki traveled home and decided to change her training routine.

Instead of just drilling, running and lifting a few weights, she decided to box for a couple of weeks as a form of training, which would not only improve her speed and quickness but would inspire her to great heights. As a top-10 player, she knew that she was expected to do more than just make it to the fourth round of a few majors.

“My time will come, and I'll make it further,” said Wozniacki upon her return to play in early August. “It's experience. I've showed I can beat the top players and make it far, but you have to be a little lucky, and the draw has to fit you.”

The US Open draw has fit her just fine, and now the strong-legged 19-year-old has made it to her first Grand Slam semifinal, where she will be the favorite in her match against the unseeded teenager, Yanina Wickmayer.

Coming off her second title run in New Haven, Wozniacki was expected to do well here, but because she has underperformed in the Slams earlier this year, many thought she wouldn't make it past the first week.

But she had cautioned her critics that her rise up the ladder would be gradual and that she was tougher than her cheery and bubbly exterior let on. In New York, she has taken down her close friend, Sorana Cirstea, the same Romanian who had beaten her at Roland Garros and LA. Then she came back from a set and a break down to stymie reigning French Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova 7-6 in the third set in the most impressive Grand Slam victory of her career.

But that's not all. On Thursday night, she faced down America's newest sweetheart, Melanie Oudin, 6-2, 6-2, by putting up a defensive wall, mixing and matching her shots and not being intimated by the pro-Oudin crowd.

“It was important for me just to keep positive, try to just fight for every point,” Wozniacki said. “Because I knew if I show her too much emotions, she will pick it up straightaway. I've seen that before in her matches. The crowd helped her through, as well. To be in the semifinals for the first time here in New York, it's incredible."

The daughter of former pro soccer player and national team volleyball player from Poland, Wozniacki celebrated her 19th birthday in July and had a party at home that was attended by the Radwanska sisters and Cirstea. They are a pleasant group of fun-loving players, but for a portion of this year, the fiery Miami champion, Victoria Azarenka, or the gritty Roland Garros semifinalist, Dominika Cibulkova, looked like they might be tougher than Wozniacki and her circle of pro friends.

But behind her wide smile, the former Wimbledon junior champion is pretty ambitious, and she loves to work, logging more singles matches (78) than any other player on tour this year. Wozniacki is a thinking player who merely needed to adjust to her rapid rise up the rankings chart before she was ready to charge at a Slam.

“It really went fast, and I didn't expect it,” she said. “I'm happy to have come this far, and I want to prove I'm even a better player.”

Wozniacki is a terrific mover, has a hatchet of a backhand and doesn't mind coming into net to close out points. Her forehand is a little too loopy, and her powder-puff second serve is nowhere close to as effective as her blowtorch flat first serve, but she's a cagey player who rarely plays herself out of matches.

At home, she's wildly popular and now has a small group of Danish journalists following her around tour. She's become a bit of an international star and has been designated as the only woman on tour to wear adidas by Stella McCartney, which she is debuting at the US Open.

“If I walk around in Denmark, people want autographs and pictures,” she said. “Sometimes it's really fun and nice, and sometimes you wish you could just be yourself and do fun things without being on front page of the newspaper.”

Should Wozniacki reach the final, images of her will plaster the walls of her hometown of Koge. But whether she has the experience to best either former US Open champion Serena Williams or Kim Clijsters remains to be seen.

Earlier this year in Sydney, she held three match points against Serena Williams but couldn't pull through. Then at the Australian Open, when she faced national heroine Jelena Dokic and withered under Dokic's relentless attack and the crowd's pleas for a stirring triumph, she fell, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.

“It was first time I played in stadium and in front of 15,000 people, and it was really difficult," Wozniacki said. "The crowd helped her to take chances at right moments. But I can learn from that, become a better player and move on.”

The Dane apparently has moved on at the US Open and has done a good job connecting with the crowd, receiving solid support when she faced Kuznetsova. Now it's up to her to show that she can maintain her nerve in her next two matches. If she does, she'll be the tour's true “It Girl.”

“I'm going to go out there and fight for every point,” she said. “I'm not going to give you mean. I'm just going to try to do my best. There's nothing else I can do.”
stangtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #62
country flag FormerlyKnownAs
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future
A Tired Caroline's Thoughts About The USO, Backklappers, Critics Etc

The original article http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle1222239.ece

Caroline: I'm completely smashed
The Day After: A tired Caroline reflects on backslappers, critics, pride and the lack of energy to be celebrated.

07:58 - 15. sep. 2009 | Troels Christensen

NEW YORK (Ekstra Bladet): How tired she was, Caroline Wozniacki, when Ekstra Bladet met her on Monday, the day after the final of U.S. Open. Just after lunch and just before a much needed nap.

The intense weeks have caught up with her. In body and soul.

Perhaps because of this, she also lowers her guard and talks openly about her feelings, while her body language and eyes says everything about the physical battery level.

- I have been completely focused the whole way. Every day has been tough mentally. Now that it's finally over, and I can allow myself to relax a bit, then it all comes out.

- How?

- Well, I'm completely smashed. I am sore all over my body and just so tired. I just want to dive into bed. Again.

- Outside pressures increase when one approaches a Grand Slam finale. Have you said no to several things off the court this time?

- Yes, I have. I could really feel that I have become more sought after by the media and everyone else, so if I were to take part in it all, I would be completely smashed. Tennis is the most important.

- It's hard to put into words just after a big finale. How do you see it the day after?

- Well, it was huge. But the best is, almost, that I was not really nervous. I could not feel the size of the match in that way.

- It was just another match that I wanted to win.

- In that way it has given me the knowledge that I can be in there and perform. I feel it says something about my personality, although the stage is big, it's something I can cope.

- It was a long hug between Kim Clijsters and you. What did she say to you?

- Well played, good game. And then she said something like: 'Your time will soon come'. She is so sweet.

- What have you been most proud of?

- Of my game in general. My reactions underway. I have been able to maintain my focus, even though it has been raining and windy. That I have every time, could come back and fought and won.

- Many have said that you were missing a result at a Grand Slam. Is it also a little nice to give a reply to that?

- I've never felt that I had to prove anything to anyone, but I can be a bit tired of so-called experts who the whole time, have to come and be wise.

- I mean: I understand that it is yours and others jobs to do so. But there are others for whom it is maybe not so necessary to seize every chance to comment.

- Yes, somewhere is it very nice to silence them.

- You must have received a flood of greetings from home. Are there any you have been particularly pleased with?

- The most important are those from my closest. From my big brother, friends and girlfriends. It's great that they get up in the night to follow me.

- You are entering a world populated by backclappers. Not all are, well, completely genuine, right?

- Nah-no. But I have got used to it, and believe me: I have gotten really good at sorting. I can see, when there is someone, who just wants to hang on.

- I try to be nice to everyone, but I also know who is there when things go less well. They are the ones I stick with.

- There are probably many who would like to pay tribute to you when you return home to Denmark?

- Yes, I've heard about all sorts of events, and think that it is cool, that people want to celebrate me.

- But may I be completely honest? I just don’t have the energy for it. I so need to relax and be myself. Just being with my closest.

- What do you most look forward to right now?

- When I have slept? Well, I look forward to a couple of weeks without tournaments. That I am not constantly in preparation for a new match.

- Finally, and in hindsight. Was there anything you would like to have done differently in the finale?

- I do not believe in that there looking back and regretting. I'd rather be positive and look ahead, smiles Caroline Wozniacki.

That we will so do. Not forgetting a fantastic performance.
FormerlyKnownAs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #63
country flag slk45

slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtennis View Post
Agree Wozniacki says "I mean" and "you know" way too much.
Kim Clijsters has the same bad habit of saying "I mean" and especially "you know" all the time and other players does it too. Maybe the players have picked it up talking to each other.

But most people have bad habits and things they repeat when they speak. Especially when they don't speak in their native language.
Really, I think the non-American players pick up this habit from the American players. Martina Hingis was the absolute worst for "I mean" and "you know." But I think when they come to America to compete for the first couple times, and they converse with Americans, especially Californians, they learn all the bad speech habits. (Seems like JCap was another multiple offender with bad speech habits.)

These extra words are thrown in to take up time while you try to think of what you're saying (like, ummm, you know), so it's no surprise "foreign" players pick up the same habits from people they're talking to.

Now obvious to all: wherever he goes, Obama is the least competent man in the room.

Lena's Official Exclusive Personal Masseur onboard the S.S. Dementieva

LENA - OLYMPIC GOLD BEPA - OLYMPIC BRONZE

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ya-Lena3-2.jpg
slk45 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #64
country flag Bingain

Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk45 View Post
Really, I think the non-American players pick up this habit from the American players. Martina Hingis was the absolute worst for "I mean" and "you know." But I think when they come to America to compete for the first couple times, and they converse with Americans, especially Californians, they learn all the bad speech habits. (Seems like JCap was another multiple offender with bad speech habits.)

These extra words are thrown in to take up time while you try to think of what you're saying (like, ummm, you know), so it's no surprise "foreign" players pick up the same habits from people they're talking to.
Well said.

There was this young guy I knew who spoke like TV commentator when we talked about basketball. When we started to talk about school exercises, he was all 'you know'. Heck, he even wrote all these 'you know' on discussion papers.

You also see less of these, generally, from seasoned and more matured players who feel like at home when facing journalists.
Bingain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #65
country flag stangtennis

stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute stangtennis has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of bad habits, have you noticed how many times Clijsters say "a little bit"?
In her post-match interview after the final she said "a little bit" no less than 14 times: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...926699656.html
She even put "a lillte bit" in where it contradicts what she's trying to say, like here where she both says she has become "a lot more" and "a little bit" more understanding of herself. Makes no sense to say both in the same sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Clijsters
I've become a lot more understanding of myself a little bit
This habit is a little bit much worse than the "you know" habit.
stangtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #66
country flag slk45

slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute slk45 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a number of players have been doing that too. It's a part of their press conference sanitizing regimen. Depending on context, the phrase can be laughable, or just curious, or, as you mention, contradictory. Post Hingis-Williamses, the WTA wants things to be just kind of beige. Instead of "I was smokin' her today," it would be "I had a little bit of advantage in my game today." I kind of miss feuds like Hingis & Kournikova had in South America.

Now obvious to all: wherever he goes, Obama is the least competent man in the room.

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #67
country flag Bingain

Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of Bingain has much to be proud of

One of Jennifer 'You Know' Capriati's interviews:

Q. You still have a final to play, but is this a huge load, to get one of the Williamses off your back - for a while anyway?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah. I mean, of course. It's just, you know, a player that's been No. 1 in the world and she's, you know, "the one to beat." I've lost to her, you know, so many times in a row. So she's one of the girls that would be, you know, a lot off the back if I would be able to win, you know. So it's just very, you know -- a personal victory for me. But, you know, it's just on to the next thing, you know. There's another job to do. You know, just gonna enjoy it later on, but, you know, it's just satisfaction of working hard and having it come out and playing well, you know. It really should be the same almost when you win or lose, but, you know, of course that's easy to say, you know... (13 times)

Caro has a long way to go
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #68
country flag slk45

That's easy for her to say.

(glad you brought this back to Caro)

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #69
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future FormerlyKnownAs has a brilliant future
Playing Only To Avoid Fines

Caroline and Piotr's Take On The Asian Tour.
She will probably try her best as usual, but with all the pressure after USO maybe its better to say that and not win everything, than believe all the hype and expectations and say how far she reckons on getting, and the looking a flop when she doesn't.

My interpretation is that it's a big possibility she will drop Osaka and Luxembourg. This will give her the best start to Doha, I think.
But who knows what Team Wozniacki will do.

Origial article here.
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle1223917.ece

Playing only to avoid fines

Caroline Wozniacki would really rather be free for in playing two tournaments, but has to take part to avoid fines

13:13 - 17. sep. 2009 | soren lauridsen

Wozniacki plays two tournaments in the East in two weeks - but would really rather have the time off.

Caroline Wozniacki has two weeks of vacation before going off to Tokyo and Beijing to play the WTA tournaments. But really, the Danish tennis star would rather have a longer holiday.

Father Piotr has previously said that he wanted to drop the tournaments after Wozniackis near-triumph at the U.S. Open, and Caroline Wozniacki feels the same way.

- Yes, I certainly have it a bit that way. I have achieved everything I wanted to in 2009 and don’t feel that I need to play more, but there are some tournaments that are mandatory, and I get huge fines if I did not come, "said Wozniacki to spn.dk.

Actually, she would rather prepare for the seasons end in Qatar, the Sony Ericsson Championships, which gathers together the eight best players in the world. Now she instead will use the two tournaments to warm up.

- I'll use the next tournaments some training, and I hope that the good form is still there at Doha, "says Caroline Wozniacki.

Both Caroline and Piotr Wozniacki warns that one should not expect great results from Wozniacki at the two tournaments.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #70
country flag Jean-Henri

Jean-Henri has disabled reputation

Can't see if this pre-US Open article has been posted already.
Found it when I was googling Caro's car!
Not so much about Caro's tennis, but fashion and fairy tales... Dane, Set, Match
Jean-Henri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #71
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Interview with Piotr: http://spn.dk/andensport/tennis/article1823422.ece

Hvordan ser den kommende måned ud for familien Wozniacki?

»Jeg skal rejse med Caroline til Tokyo, Beijing og Osaka. Bagefter skal hun spille i Luxembourg, og når det er overstået, har hun lavet en aftale med nogle veninder om at tage på ferie. Så tager jeg til Monaco og bliver der med min kone, og så kommer Patrick (sønnen, der spiller fodbold, red.) ned og besøger os, når fodboldsæsonen er overstået.«

He says she's gonna play all four tournaments!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM   #72
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post

»Jeg skal rejse med Caroline til Tokyo, Beijing og Osaka. Bagefter skal hun spille i Luxembourg, og når det er overstået, har hun lavet en aftale med nogle veninder om at tage på ferie. Så tager jeg til Monaco og bliver der med min kone, og så kommer Patrick (sønnen, der spiller fodbold, red.) ned og besøger os, når fodboldsæsonen er overstået.«

If you have read the article above you could see that on the 17th they said something completely different.

Your article sounds like Team Wozniacki at its worst.

ALL 4 Tournaments and right up to 2 days before Doha starts if, she goes far in Luxembourg.

Why do they think so short term. Who knows when she will get to Doho again.?

Sometimes its difficult being a fan!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM   #73
country flag krystian

krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice krystian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post

hey, what does it exactly mean?

Hvad lavede I dagen efter finalen?

»Vi fik noget mad og sov alle sammen. Vi var meget trætte. Og så var vi på en lille shoppingtur, Caroline lavede lektier, der blev læst lidt i nogle bøger, og ellers så vi fjernsyn og slappede af.«

As I used translator, I understand she was doing her homework? So she has individual system of learning I see It's nice they don't forget about a school
krystian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM   #74
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

What did you do after the Final? "They got some good food, sleep much, was tired, was out shopping, doing homework, watch TV."

If I had won over DKK 6.000.000 in 2 tournaments, I can wait doing the homework..

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM   #75
country flag Bingain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
What did you do after the Final? "They got some good food, sleep much, was tired, was out shopping, doing homework, watch TV."

If I had won over DKK 6.000.000 in 2 tournaments, I can wait doing the homework..
You'd probably have retired as well. I know I would.