Articles and Interviews - Page 293 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 4th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #4381
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
"Tennis-wise I think she has the complete package, but she must WANT to win every point."

Complete package? I'm not trying to be mean but Caroline arguably has the most limited game of any player to reach number one and I think most people would agree that she has regressed since then. Maybe that sentence shouldn't be taken too seriously but if Piotr and/or Caroline honestly believe that tennis-wise she has the complete package I don't see how she will ever improve and get close to being back in the top ten/top five. Her game has several serious flaws that need to be addressed if she is going to become a top player again.
She used to be able to use her skillset effectively. But around the time Rory showed up, she lost consistency.
I dont know why there is all this happy talk. Any objective look at Caroline as a former #1 would be how her game has regressed in almost every way.
One Intl since 2012. Top players win titles, the best win the big titles.
All the talk makes me think she's near retirement. No reason for it, especially her desire to win a major. The desire should be to contend at every major. Not like its some dream you chase
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #4382
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
"Tennis-wise I think she has the complete package, but she must WANT to win every point."

Complete package? I'm not trying to be mean but Caroline arguably has the most limited game of any player to reach number one and I think most people would agree that she has regressed since then. Maybe that sentence shouldn't be taken too seriously but if Piotr and/or Caroline honestly believe that tennis-wise she has the complete package I don't see how she will ever improve and get close to being back in the top ten/top five. Her game has several serious flaws that need to be addressed if she is going to become a top player again.
I think completeness of game is somewhat overrated. Kuznetsova has a lot more complete game than Sharapova (particularly earlier in her career) yet Sharapova's had a much better career. Nadal won multiple slams with a fairly one-dimensional game.

Caro's game may have been limited but she executed it at a fairly high level usually. Caro had a very good backhand (one of the best on the tour), top notch defense (arguably the best on the tour), mental toughness (though not on the Serena level), a solid to good 1st serve, and a decent to solid forehand.

I'd say that restoring these previous characteristics to her game is probably more important than adding to it.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #4383
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have time to write an actual piece on this, though it was a lovely press conference...well, judge yourself:

Quote:
Q. You had to work hard for that, didn't you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I did. But I knew that I had to work hard for this match. It was a really tough first round. Sam is always, you know, a tough opponent, but I thought I played really well out there.
Except for being broken in the first game in both sets, I think I played extremely well out there. I'm so happy to be on the grass. I love playing here. I have had so many good results here in the past. It was just fun to be out there.

Q. You had some benefit from home support. The crowd was behind you, especially with that questionable call.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I know. I made a Hawk Eye challenge, and everyone said it was in. (Laughter.) But unfortunately I didn't get the point. It didn't count.
But, yeah, it was great. You know, I love playing out there on centre court and always with so many people, and they are always so supportive of me.
Yeah, it was really a pleasure to play out there.

Q. Are you happy to have battled your way back in both sets? You were behind in both and you came back in both. Does that give you a sense of where your game might be at and how good your attitude is at the moment, as well?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, definitely. I just kept fighting and I kept going. You know, I felt like I had she has good serves, so I felt still that I got a lot of returns back. I felt like I was in there in every service game of hers.
So it was kind of it was a good feeling. For me, also the way I was moving out there on the grass, it's always tricky with your first match on grass because it's different to practice and to play matches.
But I have been here since Wednesday, so it felt good, surprisingly good for a first match.

Q. Can you remember the last time you played somebody who has been a top 10 player for a while and also a Grand Slam winner in a first round of a tournament?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No. Maybe here. Actually, I think I played Svetlana Kuznetsova here years ago when she had just won the French Open, so I think that was the first match if I remember correctly.
But then again, my memory is very good but it's short. I might be wrong.

Q. A good advert for the Miami tourist board to get away for a few days and come back in form like that?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, that was a lot of fun. I have some good friends there. Serena and I had a good time with some of our other friends.
It was nice to get away a little bit and then come back and feel recharged. I came back home, and I worked hard every day four, five hours a day.
So it's nice. It feels good. My game is in good shape. I'm excited about these weeks. The grass season is always the one that I am looking most forward to because it's so special to play on and it's so short.
Thankfully next year the season is getting longer and longer, so it's a positive sign.

Q. How important was that break to put the disappointment of the French and everything that preceded it behind you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I just love spending time with my friends and my family and the people closest to me.
You know, I think to be able to perform 100%, you have to have a clear mind and you have to want to get out there and practice.
I felt like I needed it for a few days, and when I came back home I was ready. I was ready to go. And I practiced I arrived late on Monday night, I think it was, or Tuesday, and straight in the next morning I was out there on court and practicing for four hours.
I was ready. I enjoyed it. You know, hopefully it will pay off these weeks.

Q. Do you actually feel as physically strong as you have for quite some time? You certainly look as though you are, but do you feel as though you're physically as strong as you have been?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, I have been a little bit unlucky this year as well with some injuries and a few things here and there, but I feel right now I'm physically in good shape and I feel like I'm moving around the court well.
I feel like I have the power behind the shots that I want. I would like to stay like this and hopefully, you know, the injuries will stay away. You know, as they say, when it rains, it pours. So hopefully the pouring has stopped now.

Q. Are you playing with no discomfort at all at the moment? Are you having to do anything extra to make sure nothing else crops up?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't want to jinx anything, but for now I'm feeling pretty good. I mean, I think if you ask any tennis player there will always be a little thing here or there. But generally I feel good, and I definitely have to work harder on my body nowadays. Not because I'm old, I guess, because I'm 23. But after you have been on tour for so many years and you have been working your body so hard for so many years, it just takes more to keep it in good shape and make sure that it's healthy.
I definitely watch out for my body much more now than I used to. I mean, I never used to see the physio or anything when I was younger. Now I feel like, you know, I'm in there every day just to keep on top of things before something happens.

Q. You said you had a clear mind. Do you feel you're mentally stronger than you have been?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I feel good. I feel refreshed and I just love being here. The more matches I can get on the grass, the happier I am, because again, it's my favorite part of the season. So I'm just focused on the tennis and on what I'm supposed to do out there.

Q. Given your game, do you think you have underachieved at Wimbledon over the years and do you think this year we might see even more from you there?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think my game suits the grass better than the results I have done at Wimbledon in the past, because I think fourth round is my best result there. I actually feel like I could do better.
I mean, I have won here, I have won Junior Wimbledon, I have won a lot of things on grass. I really enjoy it, so hopefully, you know, sooner rather than later it will show up at Wimbledon, too.

Q. Besides winning the title, what would you consider a good result at Wimbledon as this process restarts for you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Honestly, I don't know. I don't really set any goals for myself. Obviously I want to win like everyone else. I just take one match at a time.
I know it sounds boring and you have heard it before, but it's the truth. I just take one match at a time, and every match I can get out there I love to play. Hopefully I can get quite a few.

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #4384
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie paper mX calls Rory McIlroy a ‘bastard’ in photo caption

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_balle...rd-photo-6799/

Quote:
The folks at the Australian daily paper mX have taken Caroline Wozniacki’s side in the wake of Rory McIlroy ending their engagement last month just days after their wedding invitations were mailed.

Captioning a picture of Wozniacki following her win on Monday against Aussie Sam Stosur in the first round of the AEGON International, the paper wrote, “Caroline Wozniacki shows tons of heart to topple Sam Stosur, in her first win since that bastard Rory McIlroy dumped her.”

On their mobile app, they went with a more tame caption, saying, “Caroline Wozniacki showed plenty of heart in her win over Sam Stosur. Unlike that Rory McIlroy bloke.”

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #4385
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

I have always loved the Aussies

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

♪♫♪♫In a sky full of stars I think I saw you ♪♫♪♫
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #4386
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Alrite, mate... let's steal his clubs. Oh wait, someone already did

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #4387
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #4388
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

AEGON INTERNATIONAL

June 18, 2014

Caroline Wozniacki

EASTBOURNE, ENGLAND

C. WOZNIACKI/S. Stephens
6‑3, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Some of the players have been struggling a bit today, but you seemed to have a pretty easy time.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I just enjoy it. I played well out there. I think Sloane, especially in the second set, played really, really well and really went for her shots. Didn't make it easy for me to finish it off.
Yeah, I'm pleased with how I played. On to the next round.

Q. What were you most pleased about with your game today?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I held my composure and I served well. I got a lot of returns deep. In general, everything, really.

Q. You're now I think 5‑Love against Sloane. What is it that works so well for you against her or that doesn't work for her?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't know. I think that's a question for her (smiling).
But I think, yeah, the grass really suits me well. I like the fast ball and the pace I get from my opponent's shots.
Yeah, I just ‑‑I don't know. I just played well, I guess.

Q. Certain players, they see the draw, see certain opponents. Do you feel comfortable against some of them and maybe others where you think you have had maybe bad experiences in the past? Do you get that sense?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think there are some players that you feel more comfortable or some styles of play that you feel more comfortable than others. But at the same time, every match is different and every surface is different. The ball bounces differently depending on where you play.
So, you know, you can never really say, Oh, I have beaten her a few times before and it's going to be easy, because it's not. Every time you try and find a different way to play and different tactics.

Q. You're playing an opponent next who has played about five hours of tennis in the last couple days. Do you think that will be an advantage to you? She may be aching and tired?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't know. She's a player that I don't think really thinks about those things out there. You know, she just goes for it and hits every ball as hard as she can.
You know, it's hard whenever it's sitting, especially on the grass, because it goes so fast already. But it's another match, and, you know, another good test for me before Wimbledon.

Q. Where do you think you are with your game at this moment, what level?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think it's at a high level. I feel I'm hitting it very clean, I'm hitting it very well. I'm very pleased going into Wimbledon with the way I feel out there.

Q. Your best form for a while?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I have always played well on grass, and I always felt good. So, you know, hopefully it will show at Wimbledon this year.

Q. A World Cup question for you. Being a Liverpool fan, England is playing against Uruguay tomorrow.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I know, tomorrow night. You know, one of our family good friends is from Uruguay. He asked me the other day, You better be supporting Uruguay.
I'm like, Well, I will be supporting England.
He's like, No, no. You have to reconsider that (smiling). He's like, Well, Suarez is from Liverpool and he plays for Uruguay.
I'm like, Yeah, but you know, we have quite a few more ‑‑

Q. Five to one?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Exactly.

Q. Is that going to be the score, you think?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I doubt it. But I think it's going to be a great game tomorrow. Both teams have everything to play for, so I'm excited. Hopefully I can get to watch.

Q. Did you ask for an early match?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No. I'm guessing it will be similar times. I don't know. What time is the game tomorrow?
So by 8:00, anyway, I don't think...

Q. We were still here at 9:00 last night.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Really? Well, never say never, but I think I'll be done by then.

Q. The match will keep you away from the party tomorrow night?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, well, I'm playing tomorrow, so hopefully I'll win and I wouldn't be able to make it anyways.

Q. Care to give us a prediction for the score of tomorrow's match? The football, not yours.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think it will be...

Q. Careful.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I know. See, I think I can get in trouble if I put out a score. I better not (smiling).

Q. We think of you as part of the generation which kind of also includes like Azarenka and Radwanska. Obviously at the moment we've got older players right at the top of the rankings with Serena and Li Na, but we're also seeing a lot of younger players coming through. Do you feel like there is a danger that's sort of you and your generation, players might get kind of squeezed out in the middle between the veterans and the young ones?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No (smiling). No, I don't think so. I think our generation have done amazingly well, and I don't think any of us are going anywhere.

Q. Does it give you hope though that you have players like Li Na and Serena still playing very, very well into their 30s in terms of looking long term?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, everyone wants different things, you know. Everyone has, you know‑‑ I don't know where I'm going to be in a couple of years. I don't know if I'll still want to play or not, you know, but it just shows that if you're fit and you have the experience and, you know, obviously they play extremely well, you still have plenty of years to play out there.
But it's all about if you have the passion for the game still at that point. Then you never know, you know. I just live in the now. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow.
I'm just enjoying my day today, and it's been a good day in many ways.

Q. Rolling Stones said they wouldn't play after they were 30.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: And see (smiling)? There you go.

Q. What do you think of Raheem Sterling?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Oh, what he showed this year is incredible. I think he's really showed how much he's matured, and I think we're going to see a lot of him the next few years.
I think he's going to be one of the strengths. Hopefully he'll stay in Liverpool for many years to come because I think we will need him.

Q. Is he your new favorite?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No. Steven Gerrard, I'm not leaving him as my favorite until he retires.

Q. (Indiscernible.)
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think he has a chance. Yeah, I think so.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=100135

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #4389
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How does it feel today?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It feels good. Game feels in really good shape. It was a really tough match today. Camila played really well.
I really had to be focused out there. It felt good. I'm pleased. She hits the ball very hard and flat and has some good serves. For me, this was a good win.

Q. That was exactly the kind of workout you wanted, wasn't it, leading into Wimbledon?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, it was great. It was a good test for me. I don't think there is many players or any player hitting it harder than she does. It goes straight through the court because obviously it's grass. It was a great test for me today.

Q. The interruption, how did that affect you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, obviously it's always harder when you have to go out there and have to serve. My main concern was just if he was okay, because it didn't look too good.
I could hear there was some noises to start off with, and I could see them carrying him to the stairs. Then I just saw him lying there for maybe 10 minutes.
I haven't heard anything, but I hope that he's okay. That was my main concern.

Q. It's unusual, after they removed the spectators, you then went inside.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Because he was still lying we could see him still, and I think there was going to be a lot of things happening.
Obviously a life is more important than the tennis, you know. I think it's important everything gets settled.

Q. What did you make of your opponent's reaction at the end when she didn't even sort of look at you at the net and then walked off?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I don't know. You know, everyone is different. Obviously, yeah, she was disappointed with the loss, but, you know, in the end of the day it's two fighters out there. We did our best.
You know, it went into my favor today, and I'm pleased about that. On to the semis.

Q. You had one or two questionable calls again?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: There was a few, yeah, interesting calls out there.

Q. You made a point to put the ball where...
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, I guess it goes both ways sometimes, and, you know, you just have to embrace it. You know, you can't do much about it, but I did ask her to just look a little closer next time (smiling).

Q. Was that the point of putting the ball down, like, That's where you need to look?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, that was where it bounced.

Q. What's the angriest you have ever gotten with a line call? Do you remember?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I don't remember. You just have to you can't do anything about it. Nothing is going to change. It's just about refocusing. That's it.

Q. Would you introduce Hawk Eye on every court across the game?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It's obviously very expensive to have Hawk Eye. You know, but it definitely brings out the uncertainty. If you're unsure, if you think that something is out, sometimes you're wrong but at least you can have the Hawk Eye call and you can check, and, okay, you're wrong, move on.
But at the same time, I guess it brings some excitement to the game, as well.

Q. Will you be watching the football tonight?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I will indeed, I will. I'm actually excited for it. I might go just for a light jog this afternoon and then eat something and watch the football.

Q. You know we will be asking you about it tomorrow.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Don't worry. I remember.

Q. Tell us about your semifinal. Kerber.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, she's a great player. Obviously she's been playing well this week. A lefty, which makes it a little more tricky with her serves.
But, you know, I'm just happy to be in the semis, getting another game, and the more matches I can get, again, the happier I am.
I'm pleased, and I feel my game is in a good shape so it's going to be a good battle out there hopefully.

Q. It's working very well towards next week, isn't it, stepping up each time?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It is, definitely, yeah. This was a great preparation for me. Regardless of how I do tomorrow, it's a great preparation for Wimbledon.
I'm pleased with getting some matches and getting comfortable on the grass and kind of get the feel for it.

Q. I think the Eastbourne crowd would quite like to see you play Heather in the finals.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I would too. Obviously I'd like to be in the finals. You know, I'm going to do my best out there tomorrow.

Q. Is it fair to say that you're serving harder now than you have been in the last few months? I was looking at the speed gun, and there were serves like 110, much more than usual.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't know. I guess the grass kind of, you know, rewards you for bigger serves so you go for it a little more, you know.
Whereas on the clay it's more important to get the first serve percentage up, because, you know, it's obviously slower once it bounces.
So, yeah, but my serve feels in good shape, too. Hopefully it's not going to go away.

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #4390
country flag CWTennis

^^
Thanks Fantasy Hero

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #4391
country flag CWTennis

She’s got balls: Caroline Wozniacki is on form for Wimbledon after very public split from fiancée Rory McIlroy
After a very public split from Rory McIlroy, Caroline Wozniacki is back in the game. The tennis star tells Rosamund Urwin about equal pay, Amélie Mauresmo and why she’s fit for a match

Caroline Wozniacki is bouncing back. Just a month after the tennis player’s fiancé Rory McIlroy called off their wedding — dress already tried on, invites already sent out — the 23-year-old Dane is determined to focus on her singles game. After all, Wimbledon awaits. And she’s already joking about moving on, too.

After admitting she still wants to be a young mother and settle down soon, she laughs: “First I have to find a man to do all of that.” Form a queue, gents. Wozniacki is on the phone from Eastbourne, where she beat Camila Giorgi yesterday to reach the semi-finals. The break-up is officially a banned topic and there are three different PR bods on the call with us to police that prohibition. Thus the golfer remains the elephant on the line, his name unspoken but his presence felt.

The relationship with McIlroy was played out in public. Wozniacki learnt golf and even once acted as his caddy. McIlroy, in turn, gushed about her. “I don’t want to sound soppy,” he said in 2011. “But the best thing that’s happened to me off the course this year is meeting Caroline.” After he proposed on New Year’s Eve, he tweeted: “I have a feeling it’s going to be a great year!! My first victory of 2014 #shesaidyes!!”

The split has been painfully public too. Having removed “fiancée” from her Twitter biography and changed her profile picture from the pair playing golf to her alone, she tweeted: “It’s a hard time for me right now.” A football fanatic (the World Cup is on in the background as we talk), she also quoted her team Liverpool’s motto, “You’ll never walk alone”, to thank fans for their support. And while McIlroy won his first tournament after their split, Wozniacki crashed out of the French Open in the first round.

She is sure Wimbledon will go better. “I’m very comfortable on the grass and I feel like my game is in a good shape. To win a grand slam you have to have two good weeks — we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. But I always go into a tournament believing I can beat anyone.”

Although Wozniacki has never won a grand slam, she spent 67 weeks as the world No 1 in 2010 and 2011. Since then her ranking has dropped sharply, with some critics blaming her relationship with McIlroy for the dip in form.

But is it hard to maintain that hunger to win? Wozniacki has been on the tour for nine years now. “Everyone will have periods in their career when they don’t feel the same hunger but you have to love what you do. Otherwise, everyone else will work that bit harder than you. I think the day it completely disappears is the day you have to stop.”

Wozniacki, who lives in Monaco with her Pomeranian “fluff ball” Bruno, clearly still enjoys the tour. She describes it as being “like a travelling family” and is close friends with Serena Williams (whom she visited in Miami for a post-split holiday), the Radwanska sisters, Daniela Hantuchova and Victoria Azarenka. “On the court, obviously, you do anything you can to win, but off the court I don’t see why you can’t be friends. We travel all the time and it could be very lonely if you didn’t have anyone to talk to.”

When I enquire about personality clashes among the players, she’s diplomatic. “It’s like in school — you have a lot of different personalities in a class. Everyone has their own view.”

There is competition, though, she says, to be the best-dressed on court. “Everyone is looking at everyone’s outfits and comparing them. I think if you feel pretty on court, you have one fewer thing to think about and you can just focus on trying to win the match.”

Wozniacki wears Stella McCartney’s range for adidas, which she’s giving this interview to plug. She counts McCartney as a friend and texted the designer after the Met Ball to rave about Rihanna’s dress. She says that she likes the “feminine touches — there are details on the fabrics and the dresses that you don’t see anywhere else. It makes me feel good knowing that you go out there looking good.”

Wozniacki has always been hugely competitive. Growing up, she played football, tennis and handball, did gymnastics and swam; I suspect she was that annoying girl in school who was good at every sport she tried her hand at. A hatred of losing drove her to practise. “My parents and everyone around me told me I wasn’t good enough to play with them, so my first goal was just to beat my family and when that happened, I started playing tournaments.”

I ask her how to encourage other girls to play sport and Wozniacki points to the need for role models and media coverage. “When I go to Denmark, I see so many young girls playing tennis. They watch me on TV, and that gives them that will to go out and play. It’s about having someone to look up to and wanting to be like them. And tennis is the biggest women’s sport in the world, it gets a lot of attention — you need that to get other women to play.”

Tennis is a more equal sport in other ways too, with all four of the grand slams offering equal pay to male and female competitors. Yet almost every year, someone — or rather, some man — suggests that women don’t deserve it. Wozniacki gives that view short shrift: “We work equally hard, we play week in, week out and train every day to do our job — it’s only fair we get paid as much as men.” In answer to the critics who argue women should play the same length game for the same pay, Wozniacki says she’s ready for the challenge. “I’m open to it. I feel in good shape to play five sets if I had to.”

Another aspect of tennis’s grass ceiling has been smashed this month. Top male players usually use male coaches but Andy Murray has hired Amélie Mauresmo. Wozniacki is pleased. “That’s great to see. It’s not about whether you’re a man or a woman, it’s whether you can contribute.”

Does she think this might open the gates, with other male players appointing female coaches? “I don’t know, it’s very individual. It’s about who fits your personality and who can coach in the best possible way.” She attributes the paucity of female coaches to family commitments. “After their careers, women often have children, so don’t have as much time as the men maybe.”

Wozniacki, who has ditched two coaches in the past year and is still trained by her father, adds: “It’s like relationships — it’s not easy to find the right partner — and it’s the same with a coach. Things not only have to work on the professional level but you have to be able to stand them off the court.”

I ask Wozniacki about future plans. In November she’s planning to run the New York marathon for a children’s charity. “It isn’t completely set yet — I’m just looking for which cause comes closest to my heart — but that should be exciting, I’m so pumped for that.”

And post-tennis? “I’ve always liked the thought of doing something in TV and doing charity work. I’m into interior design too, so maybe I’ll build my own house one day.”

What would it be like? “Very modern with a cool twist, clean lines and a big back garden where my kids can run around and play football.”
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...y-9551274.html

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #4392
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Running the New York marathon???????

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #4393
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Running the New York marathon???????
Playing two 3 set matches in a row seems very (too?) tiring for her currently. So it's hard for me to imagine her handling a marathon.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #4394
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Playing two 3 set matches in a row seems very (too?) tiring for her currently. So it's hard for me to imagine her handling a marathon.
Sounds like a bad idea to me regardless. You can't just run a marathon without special preperation. I can't see what it's good for. Half a marathon? Maybe, but a full marathon sounds like insanity to me.

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #4395
country flag Protoss

Does Caro actually like Stells's clothes? Stella's outfits have often sucked in my opinion.