Articles and Interviews - Page 274 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 18th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #4096
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

No easy matches here, Wozniacki says
http://gulfnews.com/sport/tennis/no-...says-1.1292831
Quote:
Dubai: World No.11 Caroline Wozniacki admitted it was not easy to come back against Germany’s Sabine Lisicki 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 in their first round match at the Dubai Tennis Stadium on Tuesday.
“I have had to fight pretty hard against her quite a few times,” said Wozniacki, who now leads Lisicki 4-2 on head-to-heads. “I know she was going to come out hot and just go for her shots, and I felt like I was just a step behind. I couldn’t really do what I wanted from my backhand side, and I was playing a little too short.
“In the second set I started serving really well, I was really pleased with my serves, and I got a lot of her returns back deep, and all of a sudden the game was different. I started attacking more from my backhand side onto her backhand and started to make her run a little bit.”
Wozniacki will now face Germany’s Annika Beck in the second round after Beck, one of four qualifiers, beat Australia’s Sam Stosur 1-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the first round.
“There are no easy matches here,” said Wozniacki. “I knew that it doesn’t matter who you play here. It’s going to be tough. It was nice to win this one, so now it’s onwards and upwards.”
But asked if her current form is comparable to when she won here in Dubai in 2011, Wozniacki was hesitant. “I don’t think you can really compare and it’s not fair to compare because I think everyone is always improving,” she said. “Everyone is trying to find a way to beat you, and you always need to change a few things up in your game — you need to step it up sometimes.
“I think I’m just happy to be through this round. The past is the past and I’m really proud of it but now is now and I want to keep playing well.”
Meanwhile, Lisicki said she did well against Wozniacki despite her recent shoulder injury. “I’m definitely disappointed but I still see it as a positive,” said Lisicki. “I didn’t have a racquet in my hand for more than two weeks. I practiced four days and did a lot of rehab to be able to come here.
“I’m very happy I was able to play that well. It wasn’t enough to play the two whole sets that way yet, but in general I’m pretty satisfied with the way I started and went into the match, so that’s definitely something that I can build on.”

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #4097
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wozniacki inspired by forthcoming wedding
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wozniacki-i...3.html#8RniynE
Quote:
Caroline Wozniacki admitted that she was being inspired by the imminence of her wedding to Rory McIlroy after bringing about a great survival in the first round of the Dubai Open.
The former world number one from Denmark seemed pleased enough with her performance in recovering from a set, 0-1 and love 40 down to beat Sabine Lisicki, the Wimbledon finalist, but looked transformed with joy when talking about marrying the former world number one golfer from Northern Ireland.
"I am so excited - it's such an exciting time," Wozniacki said after her 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Lisicki which, it transpired, had not really been the thing uppermost in her mind.
"We have set the date," she admitted, without being prepared to say when that was. Was it this year? "You never know," she responded, but with a mile wide smile which gave the impression that it was.
Wozniacki was more forthcoming when asked whether she is a better golfer than he is a tennis player. "It used to be I was a better golfer, but it's not any more, because in the off season he was hitting every day," she said. "So that's not fair.
"I started hitting it decent after I hit for a couple of weeks, and I'm really happy and pumped and excited, and then I don't play for four months, and then I come back and I'm back to zero."
She was able to turn the match against Lisicki around partly because she maintained a very high percentage of first serves even when under severe pressure from one of the hardest hitters in the game, but also because she got a lot of return of serves back deep.
That opened up more opportunities to attack, and enabled her to make her backhand more offensive and to get Lisicki moving rather more.
A break of serve early in the final set, to take her to 3-1, consolidated to 4-1, also altered the psychology of the contest, an advantage which Wozniacki, intensifying her focus, was determined to cling to.
She now plays, not Samantha Stosur, the former US Open champion from Australia, but a qualifier, Annicka Beck, the world number 50 from Germany, who prevailed 1-6, 6-1, 6-4.
Wozniacki may now fancy her chances of winning the Dubai title again, but winning in successive weeks can be a difficult proposition, as Simona Halep, whose brilliant performances earned her last week's Doha title, quickly discovered.
The young Romanian had been fortunate to get through that week with a persistent achilles problem.
Now her injury was too fragile to survive another pounding and she quit after only two games of the second set against Alize Cornet, the French number one. the score was 6-1, 1-1 retired.

Old Feb 18th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #4098
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Well well, a day has been set for Caroline's retirement wedding.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #4099
country flag CWTennis

Wozniacki happy with new team
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/in...section=tennis

Quote:
Alex Leach / 19 February 2014

Caroline Wozniacki believes the newfound contentment she has discovered with the support team she has in place off-court can help her to conquer the battles the Dane faces on it.

The world number 11 recently fired her previous coach Thomas Hogstedt after he reportedly opted to go on holiday rather than travel with her for training sessions here in the Middle East.

Hogstedt then joins Thomas Johansson and Ricardo Sanchez in having brief working relationships with the 23-year-old, with the latter alleging their short-lived arrangement was down to undue interference from Wozniacki’s father Piotr.

Wozniacki has since sought the services of former Danish doubles player Michael Mortensen and she is now confident she has finally found the right man to help guide her tennis game. “It’s great to have someone who I’ve known for so long,” Wozniacki said at the launch of Oriflame Cosmetics’ WTA product range. “He’s a good friend of the family and it’s important to have a really nice and good team who know me.

“I know my game very well and what I need to improve on. But — at the same time — you need to enjoy what you do and a big part of that is to have a team around you where the atmosphere is good. If you enjoy what you do, you work harder and the results come. “He’s going to be there until Miami and then we’ll take it from there. But, he also has a family at home and he cannot travel all of the time.

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #4100
country flag CWTennis

DUBAI DUTY FREE TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS

February 18, 2014

Caroline Wozniacki

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

C. WOZNIACKI/S. Lisicki
2‑6, 6‑3, 6‑3
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=96250
Quote:
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You had to fight pretty hard to come back for that, didn't you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I have had to fight pretty hard against her quite a few times. I knew she was going to come out hot and just go for her shots, and I felt like I was just a step behind. I couldn't really do what I wanted from my backhand side, and I was playing a little too short.
In the second set I started serving really well, I was really pleased with my serves, and I got a lot of her returns back deep, and all of a sudden, you know, the game was different. I started attacking more from my backhand side onto her backhand and started to make her run a little bit.
Yeah, then the game turned around a little.

Q. It was important to win a match like that, wasn't it?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, there is no easy matches here. I knew that it doesn't matter who you play here. It's going to be tough.
It was nice to win this one, and, you know, onwards and upwards, as they say.

Q. Do you notice any of the Martina Hingis influence in her play? Has it changed at all?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't really think much ‑‑I mean, I think you always see her, you know, serving big, trying to attack from the first ball. I think it's just her game and the style of game, you know, maybe Martina's experience can help her a little bit, but I'm not sure exactly what they have been working on.

Q. You had to do lots of different things to turn that around. Would you have been able to do that three, four years ago?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: To turn this one around?

Q. Yes, in that way.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, I think ‑‑I think I always try and improve and try and add a few things to my game, and, yeah, I mean, I think one of my biggest strengths is that I never give up. I think that is one of the reasons why I have made it so far as well back in the day, as they say, you know.
I think I have won a lot of matches that I should have lost in the past, as well.

Q. Staring down the barrel of last year's Wimbledon runner‑up, to be able to come out to dominate the remaining two sets as you did must give you a lot of confidence for your next match, which will either be Stosur or Beck.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: As I said, any match is tough here. It's the top women in the game.
So, I mean, any match here is a good win, and I'm just pleased to be through to the next round, and we have to see who the opponent is going to be.

Q. What is it that makes you so mentally tough in every match?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think the game is just a mentally tough game. You know, you need to be at the top of the game. There are no bad players.
You have to really be playing well, or if you're not playing well, you need to find a way to win anyways. It takes a lot of character and takes a lot of hard work to get to where we are.

Q. I have got two daughters, and if I kept coming right up to them and telling them what to do, I know what the answer would be. Were you a really well‑behaved child?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Is that a trick question, or...(smiling)?

Q. I'm just asking, because I know what would happen if I kept telling my daughters serving for a match...
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I'd like to say I'm a very well‑behaved child, but, you know, I think on the court you're just so focused, it's your job, it's your passion, it's what you want to do.
And any input, any help you can get, it's just a plus. Obviously a few years back, you know, I probably would fight a little bit more with my dad and say, No, that's not true, even though I knew it was.
You know, I think you grow up and you realize, Okay, he's there to help you. It's actually good advice that he's giving. Whether then you can do it or not, that's a different matter (smiling).

Q. Have you been anywhere cold this year?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I have. In Ski Dubai (smiling).

Q. Sometime you're going to have to face the challenge of getting gloves on over your huge ring.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I did have gloves on the other day actually here, so it wasn't a problem (smiling).

Q. You faced the challenge?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yes.

Q. Do you play with that on?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I don't. I take it off. I don't want to see it fly off somewhere and not being able to find it.

Q. Can you tell us how many carats, or you don't want to?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, it's eight carats. That's my lucky number. That's how he picked eight. Very thoughtful. I should have said 18, but... (smiling).

Q. When your dad comes onto the court, does he reassert stuff which you feel you already know, or does he tell you new things which you can take on board?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, obviously I'm not stupid, so I see some things and I know approximately what I need to do out there, but sometimes I realize as well myself when I watch some other players play, and I'm like, Why don't they do that? But sometimes when you're in the game and, you know, you want to win, you focus so much on that that sometimes there are some things you don't see. It's nice to have someone from the outside just say, Pay attention to this, and this can help you.

Q. Do you have wedding plans? You don't have to tell us what they are, but...
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, we have already a lot set. So, yeah, date, everything, location set. That's interesting, and I'm so excited. Such an exciting time.

Q. Can you give us an idea of when? You don't have to give us a date. This year?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You never know (smiling).

Q. Might be good to get married just after Wimbledon.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't know.

Q. Are you able to compare where your game is at now as opposed to when you lifted the trophy here three years ago?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't think you can really compare, and it's not fair to compare, because I think everyone is always improving, everyone is trying to find a way to beat you, and you always need to change a few things up in your game, or, you know, you need to step it up sometimes.
You know, I think I'm just happy to be through this round. The past is the past and I'm really proud of it, but, you know, now is now and I want to keep playing well.

Q. Are you a better golfer or is Rory a better tennis player?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It used to be I was a better golfer, but it's not anymore, because in the offseason he was hitting every day. So that's not fair.
I started hitting it decent after I hit for a couple of weeks, and I'm really happy and pumped and excited, and then I don't play for four months, and then I come back and I'm back to zero, so it's kind of frustrating. I would like to have the continuation, but I just don't really have the time.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #4101
country flag CWTennis

Cirstea sets date with Wozniacki in Dubai

Alex Leach / 20 February 2014

Italian Sara Errani is fourth of eight seeds to fall at this year’s event.

Sorana Cirstea booked a clash with Caroline Wozniacki in Thursday’s quarter-finals thanks to a two-sets-to-one victory over fourth seeded Italian Sara Errani here on Wednesday evening. The Romanian carried the greater weight of shot for much of this round of 16 tie on her way to a 6-2, 5-7, 6-1 triumph.

Errani is the fourth of eight seeds to fall at this year’s event in the wake of earlier exits for Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber and Agnieszka Radwanska — the remainder left in the women’s main draw being Jelena Jankovic, Petra Kvitova, Serena Williams and Wozniacki.

The Danish eighth seed had earlier edged a see-saw encounter with German qualifier Annika Beck 6-4, 6-4. Wozniacki broke thrice in the opening six games to lead 5-1, only for Beck to hit back with two breaks of her own to reduce the deficit back to 5-4 and on serve.

Nonetheless, Beck then dropped her serve for the fourth time in the first set to lose it on a nervy double fault. Beck subsequently rallied in the second set, breaking twice to Wozniacki’s one break of service to lead 3-2 after five topsy-turvy games.

Wozniacki though found her range once more on her returns and claimed four of the next five games, with three breaks to Beck’s one, to close it out over on Court One.

“It wasn’t easy,” the world number 11 conceded. “I didn’t serve very well, but I started off pretty well and I was up 5-1. You then think to yourself: ‘Oh, that’s that first set under the belt,’ but she’s a fighter. She gets a lot of balls back and mixes up the rhythm and the pace of the ball and I just started to not really hit through the ball, but just place it.

“She started to get some points back and, once I wanted to hit again, I was like: ‘Okay, I don’t feel as comfortable as I did in the beginning.’ All of a sudden, the match started where I could have closed it off and not let her in.

“I’m just happy to be through. It’s nice to get these matches in such a difficult tournament because every match is difficult. It’s not like you get an easy one somewhere. When you play some other tournaments, you have the chance to actually get into them. Here, you have to be ready from the start. It’s like a sprint. I like that. You have to be ready and play your best from the start.” Elsewhere, over on Court Three, Flavia Pennetta capped a productive day by teaming up with Samantha Stosur to oust the third-seeded pairing of Kveta Peshchke and Katarina Srebotnik from the doubles fold. She had earlier knocked out Polish second seed Radwanska from the singles competition.

Meanwhile, France’s Alize Cornet will play either the reigning DDFTC champion Kvitova or Carla Suarez Navarro following her 6-3, 6-4 success over Belgian Kirsten Flipkens. Kvitova and Suarez Navarro were contesting their last-16 encounter on Centre Court as Khaleej Times went to press last night. alex@khaleejtimes.com
http://bit.ly/1gYR9H1

Last edited by CWTennis : Feb 20th, 2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #4102
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

BY JOANNE FLEMING – 20 FEBRUARY 2014

Tennis star Caroline Wozniacki has revealed how she laughed off last year's rumours about a split with Rory McIlroy at first – but the stories quickly became annoying.

Wozniacki said that the amount of space websites and newspapers had dedicated to the supposed end of the celebrity romance grew tiring.

Known as 'Wozilroy' to their fans, the sporting couple announced their engagement on Twitter shortly after Co Down golf star Rory went down on bended knee after the New Year's Eve fireworks show in Sydney, Australia.

The Danish tennis star flashed her eight-carat engagement ring as she dismissed last year's stories at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships yesterday.

Her game may be struggling, but the 23-year-old tennis player seemed content with life.

"I think for me the most important thing in life is family and being happy and healthy, having good people around me," she said.

Referring to the media reports, the former world number one said: "It's definitely annoying. It's obviously stupid, I don't know exactly who started these rumours.

"I can only think that it's maybe the people that don't want us together. It's sad that some people write stories based on nothing, because obviously we were always strong and we are going strong.

"In the beginning we just laughed at the stories. But when they keep appearing you're tired of it," she said.

Meanwhile, husband-to-be Rory caused a few startled looks at the Accenture Match Play Championship in Arizona.

An errant shot hit out of a hazard struck a watching fan. The unfortunate man tumbled into a cactus and stood up covered in chunks of painful looking prickles.

Other fans carefully helped remove the spikes from the unlucky man's shirt as the golf continued.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/li...-30026055.html

Jelena Jankovic - Empress of WTA

Serena Williams - Simply Serena; simply the best!
Saraya! is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4103
country flag CWTennis

Venus & Wozniacki To Clash In SFs
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...o-clash-in-sfs
Quote:
Next up for Williams is one of the most consistent - or relevant and competitive - players out there, with a No.8-seeded Wozniacki storming past Sorana Cirstea in just an hour and two minutes, 61 62.

Cirstea had pulled off surprises against Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani en route to the quarters.

"I went into today's match with maybe higher expectations, but all credit to Caroline," Cirstea said afterwards "She played great today. I think she played one of the best matches I have ever played against her. Very solid, quite aggressive from the start. She definitely deserved this win today."

Williams has beaten Wozniacki in all four of their previous meetings, and in straight sets too, but they haven't played in almost six years - Wozniacki had just broken into the Top 50 at that point.

"Venus is a great, great player," Wozniacki said. "I remember growing up in the juniors, I would say, 'Oh, this girl has a good serve.' My dad would be like, 'What? No, it's not Venus or Serena on the other side. Come on, no one has good serves on the junior tour.' Then I made it to the WTA tour and I was playing Venus for the first time, and I'm like, 'Okay, dad, give me the tactics now, what am I supposed to do on that return?' And her just goes, 'Oh well, I don't know. Suit yourself out there.'

"I remember that. We just had a good laugh about it. But I played her four times in a row pretty close to each other. We had close matches back then, but a lot has changed and it'll be a good match."

An interesting factoid - not including Fed Cup, the last time Williams played doubles with anyone apart from Serena Williams actually came with Wozniacki at Doha in February 2008 (they reached the second round together). Williams has played her last 22 WTA-level tournaments with her sister.

- See more at: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl....KrhrDect.dpuf

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #4104
country flag CWTennis

DUBAI DUTY FREE TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS

February 19, 2014

Caroline Wozniacki

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

C. WOZNIACKI/A. Beck
6‑4, 6‑4
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=96289
Quote:

Q. That wasn't easy, was it?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, it wasn't. You know, I started off pretty well. I didn't serve very well, but, you know, I started off pretty well and I was up 5‑1. You think, oh, that's that first set under the belt, but, you know, she's a fighter. She gets a lot of balls back. She mixes the rhythm, the pace of the ball, and I just started to not really hit through but just place the ball, and all of a sudden she started to get some points back and once I wanted to hit again, I was, Okay, I don't feel as comfortable as I did in the beginning.
All of a sudden the match started where I could have closed it off and not let her in.

Q. Were the conditions difficult out there?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, it was very difficult, because sometimes you didn't feel the wind but then there was a lot of wind. You know, throwing it up to serve, you know, the ball was going everywhere. It was definitely a little different I felt to play there than on the center court.

Q. Do you feel that having had two tough matches gives you a bit of momentum somehow for the tournament?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I'm just happy to be through. Again, the next one will be tough, Errani or Sorana, and they have to battle it out later today.
You know, it's nice to get these matches in such a difficult tournament, because, you know, every match is difficult. It's not like you get an easy one somewhere. Sometimes, you know, if you play some other tournaments, you know, you have the chance to actually get into the tournament. Here you have to be ready from the start. It's like a sprint.

Q. You enjoy that?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I do, yeah. I like that, you know, you have to be ready and play your best from the start (smiling).

Q. I understand you changed your racquet brand at the start of the year from YONEX to Babolat. What was the thinking behind that? How different a racquet do you have now with Babolat than you did with YONEX, would you say? It's a technical question, but...
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, I played with Babolat before, and, you know, I think it just gives me a little bit more spin on the ball. It still has the power in the racquet.
YONEX was good. The team at YONEX was amazing, and they really did everything for the racquet to fit me, but again, I think the racquet fits a lot of the players who play very flat and, you know, take the ball very direct, whereas I like to be able to do a little bit more with the ball.

Q. Have the dimensions of the racquet changed? Have you changed like to a different strength or size of it? Is it longer? Like Federer, for example, has a big racquet. Is it in any way different to the YONEX one?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Of course it's different. I mean, you change brands, it's a different racquet. So, yeah.
But the size of the head is similar. YONEX has a square head. Babolat has a more round head.
But the length of the racquet is the same. The weight of the racquet is very similar.

Q. Did you consult Rory about it? Obviously he changed his...
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, it's a little different. I wouldn't consult Rory on small technical things in tennis, no offense to him (smiling).

Q. You mentioned yesterday how happy you are off the court. You could tell that yesterday. How does that translate and how important is it for you playing on the court?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think it's very important. I think for me the most important thing in life is family and being happy and healthy and, you know, having good people around me.
I love playing tennis. That's why I play. You know, I think how I feel off the court will reflect how I play on the court, as well, because, you know, if you're positive, if you're happy, then you want to practice, you want to play, and, you know, you're excited.
So it definitely helps me.

Q. There were some unfortunate stories and rumors that went around a few weeks ago about you and Rory. Did that in any way affect your relationship with the media? Doesn't seem to have done. You have always been more open than most players about the relationship and we appreciate that. But did that experience damage the relationship in any way?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: What rumors were those?

Q. The rumors that you split up.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I think I don't really ‑‑I mean, it's just annoying. It's obviously ‑‑it's stupid things, and I don't know exactly who started the rumors. I can only think it's maybe people that don't want us together.
You know, it's sad that some people write stories based on nothing, because obviously we were always strong and we are going strong. So, yeah.

Q. Are you able to dismiss that kind of thing quite easily or does it hurt?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, in the beginning you just laugh at it. But when it keeps going and people keep making stories, you're like, okay, you're tired of it. It's, Move on already, you know.

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #4105
country flag CWTennis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...is-League.html

Quote:
Rafael Nadal cashes in with controversial new International Premier Tennis League
World No 1 is believed to be earning $1m a night for contribution as one of the "marquee" players in scheme developed by Mahesh Bhupathi, the Indian doubles player
World No 1 Rafael Nadal is understood to be the highest-profile player committed to the International Premier Tennis League. The controversial new competition, developed along the lines of the successful Indian Premier League of cricket, will launch this coming weekend with an auction in Dubai.
Nadal is believed to be earning $1m (£600,000) a night for his contribution as one of the "marquee" players in a scheme developed by Mahesh Bhupathi, the Indian doubles player who is branching out into the world of business. According to the ground rules, players who have been No 1 or who have won a slam will be able to nominate which matches they play, and so avoid.
The competition will be staged between Nov 28 and Dec 20 in five cities - Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Singapore and Hong Kong - and each team will bid for its players on Sunday at the Oberoi hotel in Dubai. There are at least three players of the women's top ten who are also understood to have committed to the project, led by the two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka.
The former world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki and the Polish No 1 Agnieszka Radwanska are believed to have put their names down but Roger Federer is not thought to be involved. As for Andy Murray, he is still in discussions with Bhupathi, who briefly had a role on Murray's commercial team last year before he became too involved in this project and set off on his own path.
The IPTL has had a troubled gestation but one tennis insider said last night that "Although the players are still sceptical, nobody wants to miss out on a possible money spinner, so a lot of them are putting their names down for Friday's reveal. When the money starts being paid into their accounts, that's when they will start believing that this concept is for real."

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4106
country flag CWTennis

Settled Caroline Wozniacki has time on her side
http://sport.bt.com/moresporthub/wom...njxGJI.twitter
Quote:
BT Sport columnist Mark Hodgkinson thinks that recently engaged Caroline Wozniacki can match her private happiness with success on the court.

There was a time when a 23-year-old female tennis player was regarded as middle-aged.

There's a little less ageism on the tour these days, now that the two highest ranked women, Serena Williams and Li Na, are in their thirties. No longer is the top of the women's game populated with teenagers.

So the tennis galleries are coming around to the idea that Caroline Wozniacki, a former world number one and the future Mrs McIlroy, is still young, and could potentially have many more years in the tennis elite.
"“"

Who's to say that she shouldn't have ambitions of moving up the rankings, and challenging for grand slams again?"

Off the court, we know what the future holds for the Dane, with a date and a location already set for her wedding to the golfer Rory McIlroy, but on the court, it's less certain.

What we can say, is that Wozniacki, currently ranked 11th, doesn't need to fret that she's soon going to be past it as a tennis player; that she's not going to have anything to offer the sport. Who's to say that she shouldn't have ambitions of moving up the rankings, and challenging for grand slams again?

It's undeniably true that her results, especially at the slams, haven't been as strong as they once were. Since finishing as the runner-up at the 2009 US Open, Wozniacki hasn't featured in another major final. For a while, when she was the world number one, people used to bash her around the head for having the audacity to hold the top ranking without having won one of the majors, as if she had chaired the committee which devised the ranking system.

Since the 2012 Australian Open, she hasn’t played in another slam quarter-final, and at the opening major of this season, at Melbourne Park, she lost in the third round. So she has encountered some turbulence in her tennis life.

Even for someone with probably the sunniest disposition in women's tennis, it can't have been easy reading some of the inaccurate gossip-column stories about her personal life, including speculation that 'Wozilroy' was no more.

For a while, when McIlroy's form wasn't great, some started unfairly describing her as the Yoko Ono of golf. Still, for balance, it should be noted that some thought that McIlroy was the Yoko Ono of tennis.

Now, with the engagement rock on her finger, no one can doubt she has found stability away from tennis. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for her tennis life, where there has been a turnover of men, as she has searched for the right coach.
"“"

She is a great strategist. She needs to get comfortable again with her game."
Michael Mortensen, Wozniacki's new coach

Her partnership with Thomas Hogstedt, Maria Sharapova's old coach, lasted just a few months, and now she has moved on - or perhaps that should be moved back - to Michael Mortensen, who trained her as a junior.

Already, Mortensen has observed that Wozniacki, a semi-finalist in Dubai last week, "needs to get her joy in playing back, both in matches and on the practice court".

He said: "A lot has happened with her game, but I'd like to see more of the old Caro. I'd like to see a fusion of the old Caroline with the new Caroline. From watching her matches lately, I see there have been a lot of flat shots without any pace changes, something she earlier was a master at.

"She shouldn't be just another one of the players on the tour who just hit hard. She needs to use more facets. She is a great strategist. She needs to get comfortable again with her game."

If Wozniacki can do that, this could be a very productive season.

Mark Hodgkinson is the author of 'Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion,' which has been translated into several languages. His biography of Ivan Lendl will be published in May.

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #4107
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

. Frank Nobilo said on a conference call that Rory McIlroy was in New York ahead of the Honda Classic to visit with a wedding planner. So if he really starts beefing up his tournament schedule, we'll know why.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours...#ixzz2uNPCjiCq

Caroline Wozniacki ‏@CaroWozniacki 23h
Such a special and amazing day today! #NYC
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #4108
country flag CWTennis

BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 7, 2014

Caroline Wozniacki

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

C. WOZNIACKI/B. Jovanovski
6‑1, 6‑3
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=96702
Quote:

Q. Pretty solid match for you out there today. How are you feeling? It's been a pretty good place for you over the years.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, it definitely has. I like playing here. It's definitely a tournament where I feel great. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy match today because I have had tough matches against her in the past.
I started out well. I played aggressively. I knew what I was supposed to do out there. She changed her tactics a bit in the second set and didn't really give me too many angles to play with.
Yeah, I got a little bit tighter towards the end of the match, but I was happy to be able to close it off.

Q. Your serving, you actually played good that game, right, the 5‑2? Like you were consistent, but then she ended up winning the game. Why do you think that was?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, sometimes that happens. Yeah, it's tennis (smiling).

Q. In Australia you were working with Thomas Hogstedt. Talk about your coaching situation now and how that played out.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I'm in a happier place now and I just feel more relaxed. I feel like I enjoy playing the game, and I think that's very important for me.
You know, to have a good team around me, that my family is there, which means a lot to me because they are my support. And, you know, I play tennis because I love the game. I think it's more important for me to be able to enjoy the time off the court as well.
Because, you know, the career is not very long, the time we have. You know, we just have to make the most of it.
So I feel in a good place.

Q. You were saying that was I guess tougher when you were working with him in terms of it not being as enjoyable, tennis.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I just think, you know, you need to find a chemistry as well with the player and coaches. You know, sometimes you try something; it doesn't work out.

Q. Seems like you're playing behind the baseline. You seem calm and you waited and some shots you stepped in. But it's probably better, right, you play in your zone and more confident? It's probably coming from the new coach also. He's calmer and helping you, you know, to believe that you can do certain things?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think, you know, you always want to be in your zone when you're out on the court and just be in your own little bubble. That's what you aim for. Sometimes it's easier to do; sometimes it's tougher to do. That's sports.
I felt good out there. I always feel comfortable here at Indian Wells. You know, I have played here so many times and won so many matches, so it definitely brings back some really good memories.

Q. You were a finalist last year, right, so how important it is for you and special being back here?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I mean, finals last year, and then won it‑‑ is it two years? Three years ago? 2011; finals, 2010.
So, you know, I think that picture says it all, as well.

Q. You have been up at the top and you've dropped and up and then down. Most of the top players, I have been involved in pro tennis over 50 years, and the players tell me they learn the most from defeats. Would you agree that you learn a lot from losses?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah. I think you definitely do, because when you win, you know, you're on a roll and you just keep doing what you're doing.
But at the same time, I feel like as a tennis player, you know, if you win a tournament‑‑ we have so many tournaments in a row often, and when you win a tournament on Sunday and all of a sudden you have to play the next tournament on Tuesday, you don't have a lot of time to enjoy it and be happy with the win. You're already at a new place, new tournament.
And I think what my dad also has always taught me is take it in. You know, enjoy it, because this is what you play for; this is what you love to do.
Whenever you lose, let's say in an earlier round, you are upset for much longer because you have longer time before you play your next event. I think that's wrong.
I think that's something I have been working on a lot for myself is enjoy the wins more and learn from your losses, but leave them behind you. I think that's something that's very difficult to do, but something that's very important.

Q. Back in 2011 when you were racking up all those titles, do you think you let yourself enjoy it enough or do you think you still would have been able to enjoy it more, I guess?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I had two years there where I won six titles each. I think you kind of just go there and you feel like, Okay, it's another win, it's another win.

Q. You get used to it?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah. You have to enjoy it. Everyone wants to be in your position.
Obviously I enjoy it. I think you can see here as well at Indian Wells, you know, always winning a big event and winning tight matches, it's always what gives you that satisfaction. You know, it's why you want to keep practicing.
So I definitely think I enjoyed it. But there is of course some matches during the tournament where you're like, Oh, I should win this anyways, so on to the next win. Sometimes you just need to enjoy it every time.

Q. The courts that you play on, when you play on stadium or the new Court No. 2, which I don't know if you've played on yet or one of the smaller court arenas, how does that affect you? I'm into this? I'm not much into this. I like the crowd closer to me. I like them back further. You have been through all avenues of that.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Obviously you love to play on the big courts and the big stadiums. That's definitely where you want to be.
But at the same time, I think Indian Wells is the best tournament when you think about like‑‑ well, it's an unbelievable event, first of all. There is Hawk‑Eye on every court. There are so many practice courts and so many big courts.
I think even when you play on a smaller court here they still make it out as a stadium. The atmosphere is so good here because it's packed everywhere.
I think that's what makes Indian Wells so great. That you have Hawk‑Eye on every single court, that's so special. You know, so that's why I think here the players don't really mind, you know, going out on Court 2 or 3 or whatever it's called, 4, because it's still big courts and still has Hawk‑Eye, still has a lot of people coming.
Maybe sometimes even more than on the biggest courts. Obviously I love playing on center court. That's where I feel at home, and I would like to play very much there.

Q. You mentioned Hawk‑Eye. Would you like to see the slams get it on every court? Seems like if the nonslam tournaments could do it, obviously the slams could do it too, obviously.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think they should. I think Wimbledon has it on quite a few courts.

Q. Five or six, I think.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Five or six. US Open has it. Yeah, I'm very lucky that I have played every match with the Hawk‑Eye in the Grand Slams, but I definitely think it should be on every court whenever it's such a big event.
As well I think they call Indian Wells the fifth Grand Slam, and it really is, because every player loves coming back here. Everyone plays. Everyone has a great time here. I think it's very special.

Q. You always have been ‑‑your mental strength ‑‑you're very strong. But at the Australian Open, with each match, you improved ‑‑every game was different. The last match it seems like at the end it was almost like that you just, you know, you weren't that strong. Do you feel that's because you're trying new things? And do you feel that at least even though you lost did you learn in that process?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I don't think I was trying to do things in the match. I was really fighting till the end. Sometimes you get defeated because the other one was playing better at a time.
You have to accept that. I went back, I had two days off, and I went straight into practice. So always on the go.

Q. Your personality is so fun. It comes out to everybody. That's probably a plus or minus for you in concentration. But if you look at a Chris Evert and you look at you, I prefer much to watch you. At the same time, she had great results with her steely reserve. Does that focus ever go on you because you think your personality is more open than somebody like her in the past?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, first, thank you. I think whenever I'm out on court, I'm focused and I want to do what I'm supposed to do out there. I'm 100% into the game.
But at the same time, you have to enjoy what you're doing. I love doing what I do. And, you know, our lives are so short. Before we look back, you know, we're so ‑‑we're old. And, you know, at the time it's just passing by like this.
So I think my parents always taught me to enjoy every moment, and, you know, just have fun. Of course there will be disappointments sometimes on court, but, you know, it's not really the end of the world.
You just have to enjoy the process, and I think I do that. I have my family, my dog here, and Rory is coming, so it's going to be ‑‑it's just a fun time of our lives. It's short, so it's all about just taking it all in.

Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #4109
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Danish headline: "Jelena Jankovic is an easy victim for Caroline Wozniacki"
Right, top notch research and insight. Clearly a tennis reporter who really knows his stuff!

http://jyllands-posten.dk/sport/ande...ine-wozniacki/
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #4110
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Danish headline: "Jelena Jankovic is an easy victim for Caroline Wozniacki"
Right, top notch research and insight. Clearly a tennis reporter who really knows his stuff!

http://jyllands-posten.dk/sport/ande...ine-wozniacki/
Brilliant.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote