Articles and Interviews - Page 221 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3301
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
^ I think I first heard that line in 2009. Either way, it's seriously old.

But .. I suppose .. we can only conclude that Pervak, Muguruza, Wang, Voegele, this year have been 'too good' for Caroline
It's kind of an oxymoron to say I feel like I am playing well, I feel like my best can win a grand slam, but also say all these players outside the top 60 were too good for you.

It certainly doesn't appear that tough to beat Caro right now (especially when using a direct comparison to two years ago that she does).
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3302
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
If I'm honest I find Caro's quotes in that pretty disappointing. It almost feels like an article written in at the end of 2011 with regards to her problems. She and Cronin talk about changing her game to become more aggressive, and Cronin talks about this being the way forward for her. But it doesn't really touch on just what has happened to the consistency in her game from the back of the court.

This particularly stands out. "When I play well and when I fight it's tough to beat me now or two years ago, if my opponent does, then it's too good". It's just the usual lines everyone here is very familiar with, how her time will come, there is always next week etc.
Did you read the whole article or just those excerpts?

Caro's inconsistency from the back of the court/decline of her defensive game is something I've very rarely seen the tv & print commentators mention.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3303
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

I've read the full article Protoss, I just kept my summary brief.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3304
country flag ozza

The reason I say it feels like an article written at end of 2011 is it talks in terms of winning a grand slam being the next step for Caroline and what she needs to do that. How Caro is a great defensive player and almost a wall from the back of the court, but to win grand slams she will have to step up and be more aggressive. Without even getting into whether that is true (it's debatable), firstly she feels so far from winning a grand slam right now that I am not sure that is the next step, it maybe in terms of her career, but she doesn't even feel on the right path right now. Secondly almost unanimously everyone would agree that Caro is nowhere near the great wall she once was from the back of the court, she certainly is nowhere near the best defensive player on tour anymore.

One thing I would also like to see brought up, there are quotes from Caro where she says she knows she needs to be more aggressive in matches. How does she plan on implementing this vs the big hitters like Sharapova. She doesn't have the big first strike on either serve or return, she is normally pinned back deep in the court from the start of the rally vs big hitters, so what is the plan to implement the aggressive strategy vs these players. We saw in Indian Wells, there is a world of difference between getting on the front foot vs say Kerber than there is vs Sharapova and others.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3305
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

According to Caro she's ambitious and perfectionist, yet we've seen close to two years of lackluster play.

Caro says she should have been at the YEC last year but we haven't really seen someone who's determined to make it back there this year. There have been a bunch of inconsistent performances and she's probably playing worse than last year.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3306
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I'm honest I find Caro's quotes in that pretty disappointing. It almost feels like an article written in at the end of 2011 with regards to her problems. She and Cronin talk about changing her game to become more aggressive, and Cronin talks about this being the way forward for her. But it doesn't really touch on just what has happened to the consistency in her game from the back of the court.

This particularly stands out. "When I play well and when I fight it's tough to beat me now or two years ago, if my opponent does, then it's too good". It's just the usual lines everyone here is very familiar with, how her time will come, there is always next week etc.
Well, not for long anymore if she will retire "in a couple of years." BTW, does she say anything about that (retiring I mean)?
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3307
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what she can say, just like Jankovic or Ivanovic. They're trying, but they arent as successful as they used to be.
We heard the commentators. A lot of them expected Caroline to drop from #1. Maybe they were surprised how quickly she left the top 8, but they were expecting a fall.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3308
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont know what she can say, just like Jankovic or Ivanovic. They're trying, but they arent as successful as they used to be.
We heard the commentators. A lot of them expected Caroline to drop from #1. Maybe they were surprised how quickly she left the top 8, but they were expecting a fall.
Commentators (like Cronin) expected her to lose a no.1 after a couple of months since she won it... She's dropped down the ranking seemingly quickly because she had so many points to defend. Had she been more on and off like Kvitova her ranking would not take such a hit.
Right now she's at the bottom of top 10 in a position of those who need to catch up. This season will be very telling in terms of where her career is going. Right now it's like so-so being competitive on a general level but poor when it comes to the top 10. It'll be interesting to see if she will find a competitive fire in her to up her game.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3309
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, she fell far & fast because late 2010-mid 2011 she had tremendous results. Then after the USO 2011 she starting losing early when she had a ton of points to defend. But she was falling while playing her best surface.
Thats why the start of this year is alarming. I expected a much better hardcourt run after she ended 2012 well.
So now is clay, where we will be surprised if Caro wins a premier.

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3310
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, she fell far & fast because late 2010-mid 2011 she had tremendous results. Then after the USO 2011 she starting losing early when she had a ton of points to defend. But she was falling while playing her best surface.
Thats why the start of this year is alarming. I expected a much better hardcourt run after she ended 2012 well.
So now is clay, where we will be surprised if Caro wins a premier.
I don't expect her to win any tournaments on clay, or grass for that matter. As long as she improves on last years results I'll be happy. Even though these are her worst surfaces, this is actually the part of the year where she can make up some ground on the ranking list since she has so few points to defend. As far as the race (YEC qualifying) is concerned this is the "damage control" part of the year though. If she's still in the top eight or close she should be ok as far as the YEC is concerned, although nothing is certain anymore at this point.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #3311
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I don't expect her to win any tournaments on clay, or grass for that matter. As long as she improves on last years results I'll be happy. Even though these are her worst surfaces, this is actually the part of the year where she can make up some ground on the ranking list since she has so few points to defend. As far as the race (YEC qualifying) is concerned this is the "damage control" part of the year though. If she's still in the top eight or close she should be ok as far as the YEC is concerned, although nothing is certain anymore at this point.
If she can get thru a few draws on clay, she can stay in the YEC race. This draw is very fair in Stuttgart for Caroline.

A lot of the criticism Caroline faced is that players without big weapons dont win majors. Maybe thats true, but the way Caroline was playing, she was making a lot of deep runs at hardcourt majors. So we'll never know if she just continued to build on her defensive foundation, what would have happened

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:12 PM   #3312
country flag ozza

Quote:
Well, not for long anymore if she will retire "in a couple of years." BTW, does she say anything about that (retiring I mean)?
No.

Quote:
For me it's absolutely vital she is at least in touch in the race to Istanbul after Wimbledon. If she is 1000+ points off the pace she has next to no chance of making it imo. It won't even require much to stay in touch, it needs to be better than last year though.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3313
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason I say it feels like an article written at end of 2011 is it talks in terms of winning a grand slam being the next step for Caroline and what she needs to do that. How Caro is a great defensive player and almost a wall from the back of the court, but to win grand slams she will have to step up and be more aggressive. Without even getting into whether that is true (it's debatable), firstly she feels so far from winning a grand slam right now that I am not sure that is the next step, it maybe in terms of her career, but she doesn't even feel on the right path right now. Secondly almost unanimously everyone would agree that Caro is nowhere near the great wall she once was from the back of the court, she certainly is nowhere near the best defensive player on tour anymore.

One thing I would also like to see brought up, there are quotes from Caro where she says she knows she needs to be more aggressive in matches. How does she plan on implementing this vs the big hitters like Sharapova. She doesn't have the big first strike on either serve or return, she is normally pinned back deep in the court from the start of the rally vs big hitters, so what is the plan to implement the aggressive strategy vs these players. We saw in Indian Wells, there is a world of difference between getting on the front foot vs say Kerber than there is vs Sharapova and others.
Kind of related, I would like to see her asked about taking her chances. After many (most?) of her losses, particularly three set losses, she will say something about having her chances but not taking them. Well, if she knows she needs to take her chances why does she fail to do so over and over again?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:19 PM   #3314
country flag ozza

Quote:
A lot of the criticism Caroline faced is that players without big weapons dont win majors. Maybe thats true, but the way Caroline was playing, she was making a lot of deep runs at hardcourt majors. So we'll never know if she just continued to build on her defensive foundation, what would have happened
But what big weapon is Caro actually developing? The only thing she had close to an offensive weapon in the first place was the backhand, and even that is pretty average these days. The serve many here think is as bad as its ever been. Her best "weapon" so to speak was her ability to defend, but she simply doesn't have that anymore, she's been overtaken in that department. I don't see how Caro can ever be this aggressive player at the top level, she pretty much can only attack short balls. Sharapova isn't going to give you many of those. Pretty much the only player I see beating say Sharapova by being more aggressive is Serena, it's never going to happen vs players like that for Caroline. She absolutely has to sort out her defensive game to compete with that sort of player imo.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3315
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
But what big weapon is Caro actually developing? The only thing she had close to an offensive weapon in the first place was the backhand, and even that is pretty average these days. The serve many here think is as bad as its ever been. Her best "weapon" so to speak was her ability to defend, but she simply doesn't have that anymore, she's been overtaken in that department. I don't see how Caro can ever be this aggressive player at the top level, she pretty much can only attack short balls. Sharapova isn't going to give you many of those. Pretty much the only player I see beating say Sharapova by being more aggressive is Serena, it's never going to happen vs players like that for Caroline. She absolutely has to sort out her defensive game to compete with that sort of player imo.
Caroline is never going to have big weapons. She should have tried to improve her serve, a little, improve her volley, a little, improve her forehand, a little.
Slowly try to improve. She was already#1 and a regular in hardcourt slam semis.

But thats all gone now. She's not a consistent player anymore