Articles and Interviews - Page 218 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3256
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
it's good that she's getting some work with some other coaches, mostly for the clay season, where/when even her best game wasn't as effective as elsewhere...some good sliding will only but do well to her
Caro has worked with the Adidas folks for awhile.

The Adidas development program has never really seemed that effective to me. None of the players they've worked seem to have gotten that much of a benefit from them.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3257
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Yes I don't really read anything into it at all. It could be they still have faith in Caroline, but really they don't have much of a choice. I would imagine Caroline has the most favourable contract with Adidas, therefore it's not really surprising they are going to do everything they can to try and help her. They will have invested the most in Caroline and will have expected a better return than what they are getting atm, it is in their interests to try and help Caroline back to the top of the game.
A top 10ish player isn't a reasonable return?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3258
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
A top 10ish player isn't a reasonable return?
To answer this, I'll put it this way. When Adidas signed Caroline do you think they expected her to be on the fringes of the top 10 atm? I heavily doubt so. They will have thought they were getting someone destined to be at the very top for a long time. For the money I would imagine they are paying Caroline, they will be expecting a better return than fringe top 10.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #3259
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

No reason to give up on a 22 year old who just player her 3rd IW final.
But she has to improve her serve. Its the same with Jankovic. A defensive player cannot be weak on their serve. That would mean their opponents can attack on every point. You have to able to control (or win) some points because of your serve
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3260
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
To answer this, I'll put it this way. When Adidas signed Caroline do you think they expected her to be on the fringes of the top 10 atm? I heavily doubt so. They will have thought they were getting someone destined to be at the very top for a long time. For the money I would imagine they are paying Caroline, they will be expecting a better return than fringe top 10.
Caro first signed with Adidas back in 2007 and I don't recall hearing about her signing any extensions since then. Did most folks back then really think she was gonna be at the very top of the game?

There was talk about a contract extension last year but I don't recall reading about an extension being signed. Caro signed a deal to become the face of the Adidas Stella McCartney line back in the middle of 2009 when she was ranked around #10 and hadn't made it past the 4th round of a slam.

I'm pretty sure Caro's contract is at least partially result based. It was reported that Caro got a big bonus from Adidas after she finished 2010 at #1. So it seems a pretty safe bet to me that she's getting a lot less money from Adidas now than she did then.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3261
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro first signed with Adidas back in 2007 and I don't recall hearing about her signing any extensions since then. Did most folks back then really think she was gonna be at the very top of the game?

There was talk about a contract extension last year but I don't recall reading about an extension being signed. Caro signed a deal to become the face of the Adidas Stella McCartney line back in the middle of 2009 when she was ranked around #10 and hadn't made it past the 4th round of a slam.

I'm pretty sure Caro's contract is at least partially result based. It was reported that Caro got a big bonus from Adidas after she finished 2010 at #1. So it seems a pretty safe bet to me that she's getting a lot less money from Adidas now than she did then.
Yes the contract will be in part performance based. They will have invested a lot in Caro hoping she was the next big star though.

I agree with you anyway, the Adidas development team don't exactly excite me and make me think they will help her game.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3262
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wozniacki opens with win at Family Circle
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wozniac...1180--ten.html

Quote:
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- An early exit at the Sony Open and a postponed humanitarian trip to Haiti left Caroline Wozniacki with a big hole in her schedule - something she was glad to fill with a trip to the Family Circle Cup.
The 2011 Family Circle champion won her sixth straight match here with a dominating 6-1, 6-1 victory over Silvia Soler-Espinosa on Wednesday.
The second-seeded Wozniacki didn't count on getting ousted from her last event in Key Biscayne, Fla., in the round of 32. Then boyfriend Rory McIlroy delayed a mission visit this week that she planned to attend so he could tee it up at the Valero Texas Open and prep for the year's upcoming first major championship at the Masters next week.
She entered as a wildcard on Saturday, two days before the Family Circle kicked off.
''I was not playing matches and thought I'd basically have four weeks off'' until playing at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart, Germany, later this month, she said. ''So I just decided this would be a great week for me. We'll just see how it goes.''
It went very well for Wozniacki on Billie Jean King Court.
She won seven straight games during one stretch, overpowering Soler-Espinosa with her 100 mph serves. She broke Soler-Espinosa twice to win the final five games of the opening set.
Wozniacki continued to use her big serves - she took a 3-1 lead in the second set on a 111 mph ace - to keep Soler-Espinosa on the defensive and wrapped up the match in 59 minutes.
Wozniacki had reached the finals of the Indian Wells tournament, but was knocked out of her last event, Sony Open in Key Biscayne, in the round of 32. She acknowledged it's generally hard to transition smoothly from the faster hardcourt surfaces to the clay.
Wozniacki, though, felt prepared and confident.
''I felt like I really served well and returned well today,'' she said. ''I'm pleased with that.''
Past champion Samantha Stosur, ranked ninth in the world, opened play with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Marina Erakovic. Venus Williams, the 2004 Family Circle champion, plays tonight.
Williams' younger sister, Serena, began play at the Family Circle on Tuesday with a straight set victory. Serena is the tournament's defending champion who's coming off victory at the Sony Open over Maria Sharapova.
Wozniacki's hopeful she can flash the form she had here two years ago - she dropped only two sets in five matches in capturing the championship - and keep her Family Circle winning streak going against all opponents.
''I'm pretty pleased about the tennis today and how things turned out,'' she said. ''I thought I had some power in my serves and I thought I put in a lot of my first serves.''
In other early matches, 2009 Family Circle champion Sabine Lisicki fell to American qualifier Mallory Burdette in three sets and No. 10 Julia Goerges ousted Olga Govortsova in straight sets.
Wozniacki was off-kilter at first, winning her serve at deuce to start the match, then netting a backhand as Soler-Espinosa won the following game. But Wozniacki found her stride and took the next seven games, a stretch when Soler-Espinosa didn't win more than two points in any game. Soler-Espinosa, of Spain, pushed a forehand into the net on match point to end things.
No matter how things end at the Family Circle, Wozniacki is off to Augusta National next week to cheer on McIlroy at the Masters. She says it's generally more nerve-wracking to watch McIlroy than when she's on the court playing because she has no control of the outcome on the golf course.
''But I generally think it's worse to watch (golf) on TV because you're just sitting there and have no clue'' of McIlroy's emotions or mindset, she said. ''At home, it's like, 'OK, just make the putt.'''

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3263
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline Wozniacki “pretty sure” she’ll stick with father-coach until the end of her career
http://tennis.si.com/2013/04/03/caro...medium=twitter

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #3264
country flag Protoss

Caro's floundering in tennis for about the past two years has probably contributed to folks thinking she's just a WAG.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #3265
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Yeah, as a fan/follower it's not pleasant to admit, but her golf watching makes her a WAG.

If she wants to be something else than a WAG (+ mediocre female tennis player), she needs to get back to the mindset from pre-Rory. It's her life and I can chose if I want to follow her or not, but even as a 'fan', I can have an opinion. And my opinion is, she is not as one-sided focused on tennis success any more.

She is not a WAG in the traditional sense, but the label is a sticky one. Especially when she has no current tennis results to speak of.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3266
country flag CWTennis

Press Conference, April 3
http://www.familycirclecup.com/artic...0404154052.pdf

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3267
country flag CWTennis

Wozniacki bows out in Family Circle Cup quarterfinals
http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...-quarterfinals

Quote:
“I thought I was very much in control at the start,” said Wozniacki, who was ranked No. 1 in 2011 and is currently No. 10. “I was taking the ball early and making her run. But she stepped it up in the second and third set. I definitely had my chances that I should have taken.

“Everything she went for went in, and when you play someone like that, you have to take the chances you get.”

Wozniacki’s plan now is to practice on Daniel Island today and Sunday before heading to Augusta.

“I’ll watch (The Masters), do a lot of gym and fitness, and head home,” she said.

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3268
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

So, next up is Rome? That´s going to be a loong break.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3269
country flag CWTennis

^^Stuttgart!

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3270
country flag CWTennis

A Post-Match Interview With CAROLINE WOZNIACKI, April 5, 2013
http://www.familycirclecup.com/artic...0406143745.pdf