Articles and Interviews - Page 210 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3136
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Maybe they chose Sven as a person to speak on behalf of a team. He gets more 'love' than Piotr.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3137
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Here is a transcript of her post match press conference (Kuznetsova loss):
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...739896956.html

"I had my chances and I didn't take them." I wonder how many times she says that after a loss? This is certainly not the first time she has said those words and I have to ask when is she going to learn the lesson? She had so many chances to break in the middle of the third set, had she been braver she probably would have won.
I hear what you say and normally I would think the same. But I do feel it differently this time and I don't actuall feel "here we go again" because I think this is the best she's played for a long time but lost and if she can continue to play like she did - she will win a lot more matches for sure. I'm far far far far more concerned that she keep the standard of play than the fact that she might've played few shots differently. If she consistently made more winners than UEs and stats like 23 - 22 she did - that would have an affect on her results. But that's a big if and my biggest fear is that she won't keep up playing as well as she did in a match she lost.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3138
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I hear what you say and normally I would think the same. But I do feel it differently this time and I don't actuall feel "here we go again" because I think this is the best she's played for a long time but lost and if she can continue to play like she did - she will win a lot more matches for sure. I'm far far far far more concerned that she keep the standard of play than the fact that she might've played few shots differently. If she consistently made more winners than UEs and stats like 23 - 22 she did - that would have an affect on her results. But that's a big if and my biggest fear is that she won't keep up playing as well as she did in a match she lost.
I dont know. She wasnt good at all in set 1. Sveta let down in set 2.
3rd set she had plenty of chances. We'll see when she goes to Doha and Dubai. And we will see how Sveta does vs Vika. Losing 2 matches in a row to Sveta doesnt ring a turnaround to me. Sveta went down right after beating Caro last week and I expect that again here
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3139
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I keep saying this but I think that after Doha/Dubai/Indian Wells/Miami we will have a good idea of where her game is at. Winning any of them is asking too much right now but maybe she can make some deep runs and beat some top ten players. If she can do that it could be a very big step towards getting back to where she was. If she can't do that and fails to make the quarters or better at any of them...well, that would probably be a very inauspicious sign for the rest of her season.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM   #3140
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

Well here is what Groeneweld says about Svetlanas way to play:

http://ekstrabladet.dk/s...ennis/article1903223.ece

MELBOURNE (Ekstra Bladet): - Caroline has today shown her desire to participate at the highest level, said Adidas coach Sven Groeneveld.

- She can see herself in the mirror and she even sends a signal to her competitors that she is back as the warrior she is.

However he was also annoyed of the outcome:

- Caroline had her chances in the third set, but she meets a player with lots of experience, who apparently has found new inspiration and hunger.

- When you play against her, then you know that she varies speed and rhythm and is taking long breaks. She does everything to distract Carolines rhythm, and she had success with it, said the Dutchman with address to Kuznetsovas toilet and treatment breaks.

- She does it on purpose. She is able to go into the head of the other player. Caroline tries to handle it, but you can not take away from Kuznetsova that it is part of her game.

- Is this sportsmanship? She will have to live with it. She is happy to win because she tricks her opponent.

She also did it in US Open in 2009 and since then I've seen it a lot of times and to me she should be fined for it in one way or the other it's not ok and has nothing to do with fair play.
Hoergren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3141
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Wozniacki's mother: Caroline was confused on the court

It did not help Caroline Wozniacki to switch tennis coach several times last year. Rather it confused more than it benefited.

That's the belief of Caroline Wozniacki's mother, Anna Wozniacki, who has followed her daughter's career from the sidelines for many years and therefore could see a difference in the last season.

- It was a tough year, although Caroline trained really well, so there was not the calm she needed. So she was sometimes confused on the field.

- That is just a waste of time. A tennis career too short for that, says Anna Wozniacki of Ekstra Bladet.

- Caroline is technically a better player than before. We know which player Caroline is and what she needs to be better at, and we continuously work on that, and we did also last year.

- But who may need some time before she becomes a better player, assesses Anna Wozniacki.

In 2012, both the Spaniard Ricardo Sanchez and Swede Thomas Johansson were fired as coach of Wozniacki because the collaboration was not functioning optimally with them.

- This year was a lesson for us. We got some good experience. We have learned a lot. We know where we are going and which direction we should take in the future, says Anna Wozniacki.

Father Piotr Wozniacki is back as coach of his daughter, and it is the best option, although it has led to harsh criticism, says the tennis family with Polish roots.

- It was not fun for anyone in our family. But what does not kill you, makes you stronger. It was especially detrimental to Piotr that he got so much criticism. He took it very personally.

- He came to doubt a little of his own values ​​and thought: When everyone says I should step aside, it's probably true. But now we know that Caroline and Piotr belong together.

- For the've tried many things. They have grown up together, and they are in a way also grown together.

- With the temperament, Caroline has, it is not easy for others. She gotta listen, and you have to have great respect for each other in a collaboration, explains Anna Wozniacki.

Original article here: http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Oevrig_spor...0204120702.htm
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3142
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Great and right words from Caros Mum.
Saraya! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3143
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya00000 View Post
Great and right words from Caros Mum.
I dont know if those are the right words. What if she doesnt do well all year? They're never going to let an experienced professional coach have a chance to set up a program to help her? For a coach to help her, her dad has to leave, and not be an observer. Because he has her ear when the coach isnt around

"He came to doubt a little of his own values ​​and thought: When everyone says I should step aside, it's probably true. But now we know that Caroline and Piotr belong together."

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #3144
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

That article is a bit of a surprise as it's pretty rare to hear from Caro's mom.

Does she and the rest of Team Wozniacki really believe that Caro is technically a better player now? It sure seems to me that her forehand and her serve have regressed.

Anna makes it sound like Caro is a bad listener and or very stubborn. I remember that people used to say that Caro was pretty coachable.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3145
country flag goldenlox

It makes it sound like Caro is uncoachable. She never gave Sanchez a chance. You have to listen to Sanchez, and not have your dad there constantly.
This whole thing, going back to those losses to Vinci & Mchale, back to back in 2 sets at Premier 5's on hardcourt. It just shows that lack of coaching can destroy a once promising career

Has she improved anything since Dubai/Doha 2011? Not her game near the net. Handling short lobs from her opponent is still a mess. She misses easy overheads. Is her serve any better at all? Her groundies are certainly not better. That was why she was 26-2 after her loss to Li

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3146
country flag Saraya!

Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute Saraya! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
That article is a bit of a surprise as it's pretty rare to hear from Caro's mom.

Does she and the rest of Team Wozniacki really believe that Caro is technically a better player now? It sure seems to me that her forehand and her serve have regressed.

Anna makes it sound like Caro is a bad listener and or very stubborn. I remember that people used to say that Caro was pretty coachable.

That is the point. iīm really happy to hear her speaking.
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3147
country flag Saraya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
It makes it sound like Caro is uncoachable. She never gave Sanchez a chance. You have to listen to Sanchez, and not have your dad there constantly.
This whole thing, going back to those losses to Vinci & Mchale, back to back in 2 sets at Premier 5's on hardcourt. It just shows that lack of coaching can destroy a once promising career

Has she improved anything since Dubai/Doha 2011? Not her game near the net. Handling short lobs from her opponent is still a mess. She misses easy overheads. Is her serve any better at all? Her groundies are certainly not better. That was why she was 26-2 after her loss to Li
Caro didnīt want another Coach. But she was unsure because everybody told her she has to change. But at leeast she donīt want. Good for her to be back to Piotr.
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3148
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Caro didnīt want another Coach. But she was unsure because everybody told her she has to change. But at leeast she donīt want. Good for her to be back to Piotr.
I dont see where Piotr ever left. He was always there, the last 2 years.
When Caroline started making a lot of unforced forehand errors, it was obviously breaking down the rest of her game. Her dad was there, and her game collapsed.
The last 2 hardcourt majors, Caro did not win a match on Ashe or Laver, while Vika won around 11 on Ashe & Laver these last 2 majors.
If her goal was to get all expectations and pressure off, and to not play important matches, then she was successful.
Caroline has become a "what NOT to do" for a young player, while Vika is a role model of what to do. Hire an experienced coach, and build on the foundation you have, using your weapons and improving your weaknesses.
You dont see any improvements in Caroline's game with her dad there. Not only are weaknesses glaring, nothing seems to be improving, especially her results

If she improves this year, then great. But she just went thru 3 hardcourt tournaments without getting thru to play a contender. So if that continues, why say she & dad are a permanent team? Things arent going well now. They should be looking at other options. Or getting ready to look at them

Old Feb 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3149
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think so,too. Based on Anna's words it seems that it was actually Piotr who came up with the idea of bringing someone else in the team. Caro probably gave in to the idea but deep down she didn't want anybody else so after a short while she decided to let them both go.

I think they know there's a lot of work ahead of them but maybe now with a team that Caro wants to have around her things will get better.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3150
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post

I don't agree with the part in bold or tht Anna implied this in any way. I don't think Cari is being stubborn or a bad listener or nor easy to coach at all. Both her coaches have never said that - they comment on the very strong bond between her and Piotr - but not that she ws stubborn or difficult and non receptive to being coached. What Anna actually said and Piotr has also said this is that Caro became confused. Also remember tht there is a difference between what a player's deep down instincts are and what a player has agreed in the mind. It takes time for it to perculate from the mind to deep down and Caro has had years with Piotr for her to trust Piotr more deep down - not just intellectually.

It seems to me the problem is that when Caro is playing a match and what she has agreed intellectually with her coach does not seem to be working. That's when the deep rooted doubts and confusion can come - are we going the right direction??? And there's no history and longevity to back up if it is the right way. Also TJ wasn't there for so much of the time when he was coach so I can see how small things could build up and lead to confusion.

I think that something like a specialist serve coach could work since serve starts the point and is not dependant on the rally and therefore the least likely to interfere the rest of her game and coaching. But other than something like that - any talk of keeping a full time professional coach for now seems to be off the cards and is not going to work.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : Feb 5th, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote