Articles and Interviews - Page 209 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3121
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Press conference
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...409609758.html

Quote:
Q. She played a little bit like a very talented but crazy junior. You had to stay in there with her.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, I know the feeling, how it is sometimes going in and playing someone when you're young, you're playing a top player. I definitely saw a lot of potential in her.

I thought actually she was going to go for more, but I could tell that she can keep the ball in play and go for it when she needs to.

Obviously she's a very tall girl. She's young. She's going to improve a lot over the next few years still. I definitely believe that we're going to see a lot of her in the future.

Q. Did you expect her to miss as much as she did or did you feel like you had to force the play and control it a little bit more?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Both. I knew that I had to put the pressure on her from the beginning. I knew I have to make her move, I have to put the pressure on her, I didn't have to go for wild shots.

I knew that she would feel the pressure sooner or later.

Q. Did she make you feel old, knowing she's the same age as when you played first?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I mean, she's six years younger than me. That's crazy. That definitely makes me feel old (smiling).

But I guess we're going to see more of that in the future. I should just get used to that.

Q. You've talked about the fun. Obviously the sport is more fun when you're winning. Was it fun today?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, it's fun. But, you know, it was hot out there today. You could really feel it burning.

When I went out for my warmup this morning, I was like, Oh, it's not too bad. You know, it's 39, but I didn't really feel it. It's cloudy. It's okay.

But I knew once I was going to go out on court the sun is going to break through and it's going to be crazy hot.

Of course, that happened. It's maybe less pleasurable when you're out in that heat. You're winning. It just gives, you know, it's why you work hard in the off season, why you have to be in good shape, because you have to be prepared for everything.

Q. How pleased were you with the consistency of your ball striking today? It looked pretty impressive.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I thought I played really well in most parts of the match. I had a couple of games there at 4 1 where I maybe lost a little bit of concentration. You know, she came back, did a few good serves. All of a sudden it's 4 3 and you really need to step it up again.

But, yeah, in general I was happy with my game and the way I was playing.

Q. You hit some big serves at times. It's an important part of your game. You've been working on it for a few years. If you get in tight matches, you need to come up with that.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It's important to know you can rely on your serve. Also, you know, get a lot of deep returns. It's important.

I mean, she was serving pretty well out there. I've been playing, especially the first match, a really big server. She came out with 194, 191s, I could still push it back deep in the court. I think that gives you some confidence also when you're playing a girl like this today, that I know I can rely on my returns.

Q. Is it a little frustrating that last year you were asked about the pressure to back up being No. 1 by winning a major, now you're asked about the pressure to get back to No. 1.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No. It's part of the game. It's part of the whole thing. It's fine. I just do my thing and that's basically it.

Q. The golf colleague out there.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: My golf?

Q. Someone else's golf who might be playing well at the moment.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, somebody's out there right now, trying to battle it out. I was just having some stretching and some treatment. I was just following on live scores. Maybe I can find a TV screen somewhere that shows it.

Q. You said on the court you were at the physio's and you were by far the oldest person in there.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yes.

Q. Are you the oldest youngest player on tour now?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: There are still a few older ones than me (laughter).

But, yeah, that happened. That was not great for my confidence. I still want to try to feel young out here. But, you know, it's the way of life, I guess. 22, it's old in the tennis world soon.

Q. Do you actually feel a generational difference at 22 to a 16 or 17 year old?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I feel a difference. I can see some young ones coming up. I thought she didn't look like a 16 year old just because she's so tall. You can see she can develop physically and still be stronger at things.

Yeah, I guess I felt older when I was 16 than, you know, looking at 16 year olds nowadays. But I guess you always feel a bit different when you're in it.

Q. They're playing a lot of music. You have no idea? You feel like an old person, that I don't know that?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, not quite that old. Not quite there yet (smiling).

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3122
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

"By reaching the second round, Vekic is projected to crack the Top 100 on the next rankings - the first 16-year-old to break the elite since Wozniacki did it a few days before her 17th birthday in 2007."
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/articl...on-downs-vekic

Yes, it doesn't happen every day.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3123
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the Caro bashers should watch this hit-and-miss match (Kvitova - Robson), it oughtta make them appreciate Caro's style of tennis more!
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #3124
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a great achievement. She's a new teen big thing, it seems.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3125
country flag Hoergren
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of Hoergren has much to be proud of

A fairly good article from today about Caro as a dark horse - interesting - read it!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/20...ine_wozni.html
Hoergren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #3126
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle1901370.ece

Caroline was up early Friday and worked on court for 2 and a half hour.

With her was Piotr, Sven G and Matts Merkel.

Reminds me of the 'good times' ...

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #3127
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoergren View Post
A fairly good article from today about Caro as a dark horse - interesting - read it!

http://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/20...ine_wozni.html
Meh, I don't know, to me it was typical 'she doesn't have a slam' kind of article Funny that even now when she no longer is a no.1 the press is still tries to stir up the same old BS.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3128
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Meh, I don't know, to me it was typical 'she doesn't have a slam' kind of article Funny that even now when she no longer is a no.1 the press is still tries to stir up the same old BS.
IMO you should be less diffident and defensive, it's a fairly nice written article and one of the few that gives credit to her for her wins. A lot of people seem to hate on Caroline but it's not the whole world and taking some constructive critics like those is the base of improving

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #3129
marineblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
IMO you should be less diffident and defensive, it's a fairly nice written article and one of the few that gives credit to her for her wins. A lot of people seem to hate on Caroline but it's not the whole world and taking some constructive critics like those is the base of improving
Sorry, but I am entitled to my opinion. I find a large part of the article boring including the things we have heard all before such as that only slams matter and nothing else counts. Sounds very much like the old rhetoricto me. Any article which still try to squeeze some attention using it is not a very valuable in my view. I have read better, more profound critical analysis of her situation than this. Not that many, but still there were some interesting pieces. Nothing against criticism but the author did not do a great job here.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #3130
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

you of course are free to think with your own mind, mine was just a suggestion

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM   #3131
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a transcript of her post match press conference (Kuznetsova loss):
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...739896956.html

Quote:
Q. How are you feeling after that game? It seemed pretty taxing.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, you obviously don't feel great when you lose, so I think that's pretty obvious. But, you know, it was a close game. I had my chances and I didn't take them.
Yeah. I could have won but I didn't. And, yeah, next time.

Q. What do you view as the difference in the match?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, I had some I had 30 15 on her serve, or 15 30, second serve and I didn't go for it. I had some break points at I think it was 4 3 for me.
I was standing on the side with the sun in my back, and, you know, I really if I would have broken her there, I had my serve to close out the match. It didn't happen. Then turned on the other side with the sun in my eyes and it made it more difficult. Then she got new balls.
Yeah, it was small things that made a difference. I think maybe if I'd have gotten just one of the breakpoints obviously you can say if and if, but, you know, maybe just have gone a bit more for it at the time.

Q. Were you upset by the ruling umpire with that serve? Obviously you argued with him.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I don't think it was correct ruling because I had my racquet on it and the ball went I mean, like this under the net, but the ball was called out. So I don't think that it was the correct ruling.
Normally I understand if I hit it with the frame and it goes to the side and the ball didn't have a chance to go over. I would accept it and just move on.
But the point was that, you know, I had it on my racquet. I had it on my strings. The ball was called out. Yeah. That's it. I don't think she should have won that point.

Q. Did that affect you, have a big impact, or just...
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I mean, you never know what could have happened. She would have had first serve again. She might have played well.
At the same time, I won the next point and we were at 40 All again and I didn't take the game. In the end of the day, it didn't make a difference. It didn't affect me mentally. I just kept going.

Q. What about her lengthy breaks when she had a medical timeout? How did that affect you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Not really. You know, I felt ready from the start. I knew that she was going to take probably a longer break after the second set just because she always changed her clothes and that takes a while.

Q. Are you generally encouraged just by the tournament after the start of the year?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: You know, I'm encouraged about the way I played and the way I came out of some situations and the way I was playing the points.
Yeah, I am. Obviously I would have loved to have won today, but it didn't happen.
There is still a long year in front of me. There is still a few things I can work on and, you know, it can be better.
But at the same time, there are so many things I think I did well at this tournament, as well.

Q. You mentioned a moment ago a few points here or there, how thin the margins are. Do you think the average fan really understands how close the margins are in these matches? It's a point or line here or a call there?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I think when they watch the match today I think they could have seen that it was very close and could have gone both ways.
To understand completely how it is you have to play tennis yourself and have been in those situations. But, yeah. I don't know.
"I had my chances and I didn't take them." I wonder how many times she says that after a loss? This is certainly not the first time she has said those words and I have to ask when is she going to learn the lesson? She had so many chances to break in the middle of the third set, had she been braver she probably would have won.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)

Last edited by DownInAHole : Jan 21st, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3132
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle1902631.ece

Caroline sends strong signal

Wozniacki's effort will make kompetitors fearful, says Sven Groeneveld, who though also acknowledges a great opponent.

"Well, she had her chances in 3rd sæt", Groenevald notes with a shrug of the shoulder.

- But she is up against a player with a lot of experience and apparent new inspiration and hunger. When you play against her, you know she'll change speed and rhythm and take long breaks. She does it to distract Caroline's rhythm and she is successful, says the Dutchman addressing Kuznetosova's toilet break and MTO.

- Is it gamemanship?

"She will have to live with it herself. She is happy to win, because she tricked her opponent.

He (Sven) was over-all satisfied with what he saw.

- Caroline could have controlled the match better in the beginning, but Kuznetsova surprises her a few times and plays some strong service games.

- When she is up a set, she has so much variation. She slices, drop shots, comes to the net, serves a kicker and then a flat (serve) down the T. So your concentration must be on high alert, are you to resist.

- But Caroline has shown her hunger to return to the highest level. It would have been a great reward for her to reach the QF.

- She can look herself in the mirror and mustn't feel ashamed about losing this match. And she sends a single to her competitors that the her warrior is back, and that will make competitors fear (her). As a warrior, she is one of the best.

Really, Sven? .. We are now celebrating, a player who used to be Germany (in football), has turned into England (Sorry to the English, but I am quite sure you get the analogy).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1

Last edited by TennisFan66 : Jan 21st, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3133
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that seems like a strange thing for him to say. I think other players will see that third set and realise that if you keep it close Caroline will crumble which is the opposite of how she used to be. There was a time when if the match was close she usually found a way to win but now she finds a way to lose.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3134
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to know Piotr's thoughts on the match. He seems very critic of Caro's game.

I just don't understand why Caro and her team don't sit down and say let's analyze things:
-Serve: Getting worse
-BH: Still a big weapon
-FH: Slowly but getting steadier
-Net game: Bad
-Fitness: Excellent

What should we work on? Obvious answer, yet no signs of work on those areas.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

💨💦☁⚡"Even the darkest night will end and "Sunshine" will rise" ⛅☀🌞🌻
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3135
country flag TennisFan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
I'd like to know Piotr's thoughts on the match.
This +1 ... I was thinking the exact same thing.

Another 'expert' was out in Danish papers praising Caro's loss .. 'Most positive match in a year' .. (according to Scheuer Larsen, Danish ex WTA player).

I'll translate it, when I get a free minute.

But so far nothing from Piotr and unlike all the politicians and spinners, he just tells his honest opinion and I'd rather hear his thoughts than others'.

PS I think you forgot the most important aspect : Mental strength : The Worst!

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1