Articles and Interviews - Page 201 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3001
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Me too. But at this point it's hard to say what effect it will have on her. Let's hope none whatsoever. But if she feels unloved or missunderstood and she has feelings of resentment it might leave some scars. Maybe it depends on how long this crap goes on, what Serena herself will say about it and how the public will treat her when she's playing, although I'm confident that the majority will take this for the nonsense that it is. Personally I'm very bitter about this cowardly attempt at character assassination, I must admit.
Sadly, the media hyenas have been treating her like crap for a while although now they have taken it to a new level. Thankfully,Serena herself did not go with that story and actually there are black journalists such as Jason Whitlock who do not accuse her of racism neither. Who knows the history of Woz vs the media will surely understand. As for the public, I think that the fact that she's on friendly terms with Serena could help here. Although she should definitely stop making that impersonation in future...!
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3002
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

When a group of people feel surpressed - in this case the supposed cultural mockery of curvy, black women - they and their friends are extra ready to take offense if the person who's 'mocking' them is a person who's a have where they're have-nots, like if a billionaire mocked poor people. I think one of the reasons why so many people have gotten their panties in such a twist and are screaming "racist body stereotyping of black women" is because of the body type Caro herself is. Caro is close to the ideal image of what western fashion says a woman should look like: tall without being too tall, neither flatchested or boobsy, slim without being too skinny, athletic without being overly muscular and unfeminine, a pretty face without being a Barbie and last but not least, white and blonde. To some jealous or easily offended people it feels like Caro is rubbing salt in their wounds: "I have everything and now I'm mocking you for not having what I've got, ha ha ha!".

Just to be clear, this is not my personal view, I just think this is how some of the screamers of "Racism!" are feeling at one level or another, whether they're aware of it or not. This whole thing would probably be a much smaller issue (maybe even a non-issue) if the perpetrator had been someone with less 'perfect' looks, like Jankovic, Schiavone or Errani.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #3003
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

To me a lot of this is just a matter of people letting the media doing their thinking for them. Roddick, Djokovic, Caroline herself and others have done the imitation before, but nobody made a big deal out of it. Perhaps some of those who now object so strongly found it a bit annoying back then as well, but not enough to make a federal case out of it. It was only when three or four days after the actual event took place and the media told everyone that we should be offended that it snowballed into this ridiculous "Caro is a racist" nonsense. And needless to say, many of those who have been bashing her on fecebook, twitter, internet forums, youtube and the rest of it really couldn't care less about the issue itself. Many are probably just the type of crazies that get a kick out of bashing, insulting, trolling and threatening a celebrity. Doesn't matter why, as long as they can do it. When they get bored of this one they just move on to their next victim. But it says a lot about what for god only knows we still call the 'serious' media that they these days pick up on such (non)news and lower themselves to the level of a tabloid. The difference between the two is no longer there.

But yes, the story seems to be slowly dying, and at this point most seem to be on Caro's side in that they argue that it was over the top to begin with. But unfortunately the damage has been done. Not that I think that from now on the majority of people will have negative feelings about her based on this non-event. But even if the media and internet fruitcakes have ruined her reputation in the eyes of just one percent of the people out there it's one percent too many. Not that they will care though.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #3004
country flag goldenlxx

goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice goldenlxx is just really nice

I think only a nut who sees racism in everything would blame a 22 year old Dane for having some fun at an exhibition, in the same way Roddick & Djokovic did it.

I think this will blow over totally. There's kids getting killed at schools, getting killed at the movies.
This was a bunch of nonsense on a slow news week.

What matters is how she plays in 2013. Its very hard to win 6 titles a year, compete for #1 and go deep in majors.

I think the big problem they have now is that Rory is being sued by Oakley
goldenlxx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3005
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

WTA Buy/Sell/Hold: Top three will be tough to break up in 2013
http://tennis.si.com/2012/12/17/wta-...pova-azarenka/
Quote:
Caroline Wozniacki (Current Rank — No. 10): Wozniacki is much too talented to be ranked this low. A crisis of confidence torpedoed her year, and if it wasn’t for a late push through the fall, the Dane wouldn’t even be in the top 10. That’s a dramatic fall for a woman who began the year No. 1 with a two-year reign at the top. Her wins in Seoul and Moscow have to build her confidence going into 2013, and I suspect she’ll be back into the top five by year’s end.
30 Under 30 - Sports - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/special-report...-30_sport.html
Quote:
The Danish star held the WTA No.1 ranking for 67 of 68 weeks from 2010 to 2012. Now she's releasing her own underwear line.

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3006
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

She's in interesting company with the '30 under 30' list. Only WTA tennis player.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #3007
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=CWTennis;22596874]WTA Buy/Sell/Hold: Top three will be tough to break up in 2013
http://tennis.si.com/2012/12/17/wta-...pova-azarenka/

There has been a thread like this in GM recently. Sports Illustrated is copying Tennis Forum! I can't.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3008
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Here comes the next step

Douglas Robson@dougrobson
Big toes aside, Serena weighs in on Caro controversy. Stay tuned.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3009
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

just great

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3010
country flag guichard

guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future guichard has a brilliant future

Here is Serena's reaction

Lying low in the offseason doesn't keep Serena Williams from making news.

Earlier this month, Williams was inadvertently drawn into a controversy when former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark imitated her at an exhibition in Brazil.

Wozniacki made fun of Williams' ample build by stuffing towels into her top and skirt.

Video footage went viral. Social media reactions were swift and sometimes ugly. Whoopi Goldberg brought it up on the TV program The View.

Innocent or not, some saw it as racist. How does Williams feel?

In an e-mail, the 15-time major winner said she saw no ill intent from Wozniacki.

"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it," she wrote from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa, where she is training in preparation for the Australia swing.

Williams has been parodied equally irreverently by the likes of Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic. Some might see that as less offensive, since they don't directly compete across the net.

Others might see it as worse — men performing acts that could be interpreted as both sexist and racist.

Williams herself has poked fun at her physique, calling herself "bootylicious" and referring to her extra "assets."

She and Wozniacki likewise have a history — a friendly one.

The Dane was one of the few players to visit Williams in 2011 following her surgery for a hematoma in her stomach. The two have traded advice on everything from jewelry to boyfriends.

Williams explained that she hadn't seen the widely viewed video clip and didn't understand why it suddenly took on racist tones when others had done it before.

"(Roddick) and (Djokovic) do it all the time and Caro does (it) and now it's racist.??" she wrote.

Williams said in these matters she prefers to stay above the fray.

"At the end of the day I spend my time focused on things to become better and not bring me down," she continued.

Williams, however, hinted that while she was not personally bothered if others are then Wozniacki might at least be guilty of bad taste.

"I must add if people feel this way she should take reason and do something different next time," she concluded, punctuating her sentence with a smiley emoticon.

Meantime, organizers of an exhibition involving Williams in Thailand announced Wednesday that the reigning U.S. Open and Wimbledon champ had withdrawn because of surgery on her big toes. She was to play No. 1 Victoria Azarenka later this month.

According to a medical certificate from Florida podiatrist Jeffrey Rockefeller, Williams ''was treated for a chronic foot disorder which involved minor procedures on both of her great toes" and needs to "minimize her activity" to recover.

Williams' agent, Jill Smoller, said by phone Wednesday that the "minor procedure," performed earlier this month, would have "no impact" on Williams' Australian Open preparations.

Williams, ranked No. 3, opens her 2013 campaign at a tournament in Brisbane on Dec. 31. She has won the Australian Open five times, most recently in 2010.

Advertisement

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...acist/1780467/
guichard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3011
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Here is Serena's reaction

Lying low in the offseason doesn't keep Serena Williams from making news.

Earlier this month, Williams was inadvertently drawn into a controversy when former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark imitated her at an exhibition in Brazil.

Wozniacki made fun of Williams' ample build by stuffing towels into her top and skirt.

Video footage went viral. Social media reactions were swift and sometimes ugly. Whoopi Goldberg brought it up on the TV program The View.

Innocent or not, some saw it as racist. How does Williams feel?

In an e-mail, the 15-time major winner said she saw no ill intent from Wozniacki.

"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it," she wrote from the island of Mauritius off the coast of Africa, where she is training in preparation for the Australia swing.

Williams has been parodied equally irreverently by the likes of Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic. Some might see that as less offensive, since they don't directly compete across the net.

Others might see it as worse — men performing acts that could be interpreted as both sexist and racist.

Williams herself has poked fun at her physique, calling herself "bootylicious" and referring to her extra "assets."

She and Wozniacki likewise have a history — a friendly one.

The Dane was one of the few players to visit Williams in 2011 following her surgery for a hematoma in her stomach. The two have traded advice on everything from jewelry to boyfriends.

Williams explained that she hadn't seen the widely viewed video clip and didn't understand why it suddenly took on racist tones when others had done it before.

"(Roddick) and (Djokovic) do it all the time and Caro does (it) and now it's racist.??" she wrote.

Williams said in these matters she prefers to stay above the fray.

"At the end of the day I spend my time focused on things to become better and not bring me down," she continued.

Williams, however, hinted that while she was not personally bothered if others are then Wozniacki might at least be guilty of bad taste.

"I must add if people feel this way she should take reason and do something different next time," she concluded, punctuating her sentence with a smiley emoticon.

Meantime, organizers of an exhibition involving Williams in Thailand announced Wednesday that the reigning U.S. Open and Wimbledon champ had withdrawn because of surgery on her big toes. She was to play No. 1 Victoria Azarenka later this month.

According to a medical certificate from Florida podiatrist Jeffrey Rockefeller, Williams ''was treated for a chronic foot disorder which involved minor procedures on both of her great toes" and needs to "minimize her activity" to recover.

Williams' agent, Jill Smoller, said by phone Wednesday that the "minor procedure," performed earlier this month, would have "no impact" on Williams' Australian Open preparations.

Williams, ranked No. 3, opens her 2013 campaign at a tournament in Brisbane on Dec. 31. She has won the Australian Open five times, most recently in 2010.

Advertisement

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...acist/1780467/
Yeah, the expected response.
This was a bunch of hoopla over nothing.
Now Caroline can focus on tennis
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3012
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Yeah, the expected response.
This was a bunch of hoopla over nothing.
Now Caroline can focus on tennis
Expected and logical words, but good that she said them anyway.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3013
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What the sane people have been saying all along. It's what tennis players do at exhos (or did). Still, good Serena Williams confirmed the sane point of view.

I've mentioned it before and now I am again. The people who've yelled 'racism' to this incident has done the anti-racism cause a great dis-service.

By spending so much time and effort on a (imho) non-racism incident, they've effectively ridiculed the anti-racism agenda / movement.

Next time someone yells 'racism', a lot of people are going to yawn loud and think : *Yeah, yeah. Another non-issue blown out of proportion* ..

It may be a valid reason this time round, but the damage is done and fewer people will pay attention.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3014
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I know Caro and I would call her my friend and I don't think she (meant) anything racist by it,"
But that still implies it was a racist act by Caro, just unintended. Serena is being a bit ambiguous there, at the same time trying to support Caro without saying the people screaming "racism against black women" are wrong.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Dec 20th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #3015
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
But that still implies it was a racist act by Caro, just unintended. Serena is being a bit ambigious there, at the same time trying to support Caro without saying the people screaming "racism against black women" are wrong.
Serena, the diplomat. She really didn't have a choice but to also have a small foot in the other camp.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote