Articles and Interviews - Page 191 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2851
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
When Serena will retire, many players will see their chances of winning a Slams increasing drastically, since they can all beat each others.
True, but by the time Serena retires Caroline, Vika, Masha, Aga, Petra etc will be in their mid to late twenties. By that time there will be a new batch of 20-23 year olds that are making their move up the rankings and it remains to be seen how good they will be.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM   #2852
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
It be nice too see her end next year top 5 or even number 6 in the ranking, I also hope she make deep runs at the slams too get back into the mix of the other player who talked about on winning slams, Call me crazy but apart me still think she can still win a slam before her career over
Well, she has proven a lot of expectations wrong so I think that you are not crazy to think that she will win a slam one day. In my opinion she might have done when she was no.1 but there was simply too many demands and pressure as the time at her no.1 post went by. The media were trying to put down all her accomplishments and make them sound as it was not good enough. Hacks like Cronin are still doing that but he's just a different league troll-wise

I think she will win a slam one day, IMO she needs more experience. This year she's probably learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't for her and seems motivated to win again. I think that in 2013 things will be better and she will be a lot more consistent and will start winning big again. If she keeps improving and reaches the form of 2010-2011 we will have a lot to cheer for.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2853
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Well, she has proven a lot of expectations wrong so I think that you are not crazy to think that she will win a slam one day. In my opinion she might have done when she was no.1 but there was simply too many demands and pressure as the time at her no.1 post went by. The media were trying to put down all her accomplishments and make them sound as it was not good enough. Hacks like Cronin are still doing that but he's just a different league troll-wise

I think she will win a slam one day, IMO she needs more experience. This year she's probably learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't for her and seems motivated to win again. I think that in 2013 things will be better and she will be a lot more consistent and will start winning big again. If she keeps improving and reaches the form of 2010-2011 we will have a lot to cheer for.
I'm optimistic about 2013 as well. If she stays healthy I think it will be a much better year for her than 2012. No predictions from me about winning slams or premier 5's since those things not only depend on her own level but also on that of the opposition. But if she's at her best she'll at least be competitive and if she's competitive you never know what there might be in store for her. I also like HOW she is playing at the moment. I've always been in favor of her sticking with her core game but adding some things to that. She now seems to be taken the ball earlier, has improved her forehand a bit and is more confident at the net. That's at least the impression I got from the recent matches I saw of her (I was unable to see all of them though, I must admit). But anyway, a Caro of old who has improved on her weaknesses is what she seems to be working towards and is the one that gives her the best chance of success.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2854
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I'm optimistic about 2013 as well. If she stays healthy I think it will be a much better year for her than 2012. No predictions from me about winning slams or premier 5's since those things not only depend on her own level but also on that of the opposition. But if she's at her best she'll at least be competitive and if she's competitive you never know what there might be in store for her. I also like HOW she is playing at the moment. I've always been in favor of her sticking with her core game but adding some things to that. She now seems to be taken the ball earlier, has improved her forehand a bit and is more confident at the net. That's at least the impression I got from the recent matches I saw of her (I was unable to see all of them though, I must admit). But anyway, a Caro of old who has improved on her weaknesses is what she seems to be working towards and is the one that gives her the best chance of success.
Me too, she looks a lot more confident now that she plays the way (she said) she wants to. I think Caro never liked the idea of aggressive game which was kind of forced to her by her former coaches. IMO in order to achieve anything you need to be comfortable with the strategy you are using. She was obviously outside of her comfort zone at the time when she was trying to change her game and as a result she became weaker as a player. Having said that, she as any other player out there has her areas to improve,too,so it'll be interesting to see how it goes in 2013.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2855
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Looking back, I think it's fair to say, Caro's tennis game was at the strongest, when she was working with Poul Duvill ...
Interesting, because the high intensity training programme they did for the french open was the start of her slump. I'm less than convinced that cross training is a good idea (except for light conditioning) especially when it involves a sport needing feel. If anything I think she was too heavily built in the upper body at that time. She looks very well, lean, and balanced right now. It would be interesting to get team Wozniacki thoughts on the matter.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #2856
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
I'm not sure about that. If it was accurate, they would not expect her to win Slams. A lot of people are seeing her as an underachiever. That's why they say she's winning the lesser events and fail mentally in the Slams. I don't think she fail mentally. She's doing quite well as long as she don't meet a better player. Keeping in mind that on some surfaces she's probably not a top20, on grass for example. In 2012, she was also affected by a lack of confidence, injuries and she was dealing with changes in her game.

I don't think you're crazy. If you can win a Premier 5 you can win a Slam. However, while Serena can go through anyone, players like Dementieva, Wozniacki, Azarenka, need a favorable draw in order to win the biggest titles, since there are players they can't beat. When Serena will retire, many players will see their chances of winning a Slams increasing drastically, since they can all beat each others. But Caroline will have to take her chances and not staying overly passive against the best players.

You're right about it obviously. But here's where they favor the "eye catching headlines" rather than the truth. They're willfully blind to the real facts.
Prior to her slump I'd say that Caro didn't play as well at the slams as outside.

I rate Caro higher on grass than you do. Prior to this year she had three 4th rounds in a row at Wimbledon and if she had an easier 1st round (or didn't choke) this year she had a reasonable shot at the quarters.

I think Serena will have a dropoff in her level of play at some point prior to retirement as the aging process eventually happens. It could be in the form of bad days happening a lot more often or not being to summon up a high level of play in a critical situation in a match.

Anyway, Serena hasn't been that big of a factor in Caro not winning a slam so far as they've played only in a slam so far.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 02:36 PM   #2857
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
It's interesting that their main focus is on physical training. To an outsider it looks like Caro's physique has always been her strongest side while she was somewhat lacking in technique. But apparently Piotr's point of view is that the physique is the foundation upon which your whole game is build, so in order to improve her overall game she'll need to fine-tune her body further.
As for the physiotherapist, I think that was one of ToJo's suggestions/demands that Caro should have her own personal PT, one who would travel with her so she wouldn't have to rely on whatever PTs a tournament happened to have available and whom she'd share with other players.
I don't really get Piotr's point of view. For most of her career Caro's fitness has been a strength of hers, so why does that need to improved upon to have a better serve for example? I think Team Wozniacki may have put too much emphasis to fitness to the harm of technique.

So who's gonna be Caro's technical coach now?
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2858
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wozniacki: Petrova deserved this victory

http://sofia-tennis.bg/en/news/Vojnj...-zaslujeno-191

You got yourself some haterZ
Hope they choke on Now and Laters™

CWTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2859
country flag CWTennis

CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute CWTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wozniacki: I'm going somewhere far away
http://translate.google.com/translat...tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2860
country flag CWTennis

http://translate.google.com/translat...tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

Quote:
In recent months I have learned a lot about myself, about my game and it makes me really happy
Quote:
My plans are to play for 5, 6 or 7 years

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM   #2861
country flag jasminefu623

jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Caro featured in Hong Kong for BNP Paribas Showdow

(November 21, 2012) HONG KONG – Li Na, Asia’s first Grand Slam champion, will take on two-time year-end world No. 1 and Grand Slam finalist Caroline Wozniacki while eight-time Grand Slam champion Ivan Lendl will renew his rivalry with John McEnroe, a seven-time Grand Slam champion, during the BNP Paribas Showdown on March 4 at the AsiaWorld-Arena in Hong Kong.

The BNP Paribas Showdown will be produced by StarGames, Inc., in conjunction with the Hong Kong Tennis Association. It marks the first time the AsiaWorld-Arena has played host to such an international tennis event. “Once more, BNP Paribas is proud to bring the best of tennis to Asia by supporting this outstanding sporting event, as it does with the same acclaimed tennis event in New York. We are excited to share our passion and enthusiasm for tennis with the fans in Hong Kong” said Paul Yang, Chief Executive Officer for BNP Paribas Hong Kong. “The BNP Paribas Showdown gives the bank a perfect opportunity to accelerate the growing awareness of our brand in Asia and it reaffirms our commitment and loyalty to this region and to this sport”.

The matches will take place the same night as an event with the same name is held at Madison Square Garden in New York City as part of the first annual “World Tennis Day.” Serena Williams will play Victoria Azarenka in the first match in New York, followed by Rafael Nadal against Juan Martin del Potro.

“With five successful years of the BNP Paribas Showdown in New York, the time is right to expand this to a global event with the World Tennis Day platform,” said Jerry Solomon, executive producer and president of StarGames. “The popularity of tennis in Asia made it natural for us to pursue an event in this region. Hong Kong is proving to be a fantastic partner, and BNP Paribas, as the world’s biggest sponsor of tennis, is the perfect title sponsor.

“I am excited to see this group of four players who will put on a great show. Lendl, McEnroe and Wozniacki have each played for us at the BNP Paribas Showdown in New York in front of crowds of over 17,000 at Madison Square Garden and we now welcome Li Na to the group for the first time. The AsiaWorld-Arena will be the place to be on March 4.”

Li finished 2012 ranked No. 7 on the WTA Tour. The 30-year-old from China owns six career titles, highlighted by her historic victory at the 2011 French Open. She reached the final at four WTA Premier events in 2012, winning the title in Cincinnati.

“For me it is always exciting to play in Asia,” said Li. “I hope to have the crowd support in this match. It will be a great night for tennis, and hopefully it gets more people playing the game.”

Wozniacki is second among active players for weeks ranked No. 1 with 67, including year-end finishes as No. 1 in 2010 and 2011. She finished 2012 ranked No. 10, her fourth straight Top 10 season. The 22-year-old from Denmark is fourth among active players with 20 career titles, including 2012 wins in Seoul and Moscow.

“It’s great to have the chance to play in Hong Kong again,” said Wozniacki. “It’s also exciting to be part of the first World Tennis Day. I hope it’s successful in getting more kids playing around the world.”

Li has a 3-2 head-to-head edge in their series, though Wozniacki won their only 2012 meeting, which came in Tokyo in October. In 2011, Wozniacki was a straight set winner over Li in the Hong Kong Tennis Classic. They will play a best-of-three set match at the BNP Paribas Showdown.

Lendl won 94 titles in his career and was the No. 1 ranked ATP player for 270 weeks. He reached the final at 19 Grand Slam tournaments in his career, winning a total of eight titles. He had 13 Top 10 seasons. At the ATP tournament in Hong Kong, Lendl won the title in 1980. He then won consecutive Marlboro Championship titles from 1990-92.

“I have always enjoyed playing in Hong Kong. It is a place with a lot of good memories including one of my first ever wins on the pro tour. I will look forward to playing John in the BNP Paribas Showdown which has been a great event in New York and I am sure will be just as popular in Hong Kong.”

McEnroe, who played in the 2011 Hong Kong Tennis Classic, spent 170 weeks ranked No. 1 while winning 77 career singles titles. He reached the final at 11 Grand Slam tournaments, winning seven titles. In his career, he had 10 seasons with Top 10 finishes.

“I’m happy be a part of an event like World Tennis Day that gets juniors playing our sport,” McEnroe said. “The Tennis 10s programmes with 10-and-under rules that are now in place make it easier than ever for kids to participate.”

Lendl and McEnroe played 36 times over 12 years on the ATP circuit, with Lendl holding a 21-15 advantage in the series. Both Lendl and McEnroe have been enshrined at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island, USA. They will play an eight-game pro-set at the BNP Paribas Showdown.

World Tennis Day is held in conjunction with the International Tennis Federation to promote Tennis10s, which tailors the game to its youngest players with smaller racquets, lighter balls and modified scoring. The cornerstones of World Tennis Day are grassroots opportunities for young players to participate in the sport at the local level. The day is highlighted by the BNP Paribas Showdown events in New York and Hong Kong.

“World Tennis Day and the BNP Paribas Showdown will bring more attention to Tennis Play and Stay and Tennis10s, two programmes with proven success in growing participation,” said ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti. “World Tennis Day will give the ITF and our member nations an opportunity to showcase their efforts to grow tennis, while fans can also enjoy some of the game’s brightest stars playing in events like the BNP Paribas Showdown.” The BNP Paribas Showdown in Hong Kong will be broadcast internationally. Details of the telecasts will be announced at a later date.
don't know if this is a good idea to play an exhibition in the middle of the season
even tho i want to watch caro play
jasminefu623 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2862
country flag CWTennis

nice, she has exhibition matches 2 days before Indian Wells starts and 1 day before Miami starts!

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2863
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
My plans are to play for 5, 6 or 7 years
If she means 5, 6 or 7 MORE years that's great news.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2864
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
nice, she has exhibition matches 2 days before Indian Wells starts and 1 day before Miami starts!
Exhibition matches are a waste of time and energy in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if they were outlawed with some rare exceptions when the profits go to charity, or as a tribute event when a player finishes her career. Stuff like that. I know that they are financially rewarding, but players who take part in them hardly need the money.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2865
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Exhibition matches are a waste of time and energy in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if they were outlawed with some rare exceptions when the profits go to charity, or as a tribute event when a player finishes her career. Stuff like that. I know that they are financially rewarding, but players who take part in them hardly need the money.
Agree. It's annoying she's now building her schedule around exho matches. The reverse argument for exhos is, it gives fans a chance to see players up-close-and-personal in places (like HK), where there isn't a regular tournament.

I was at a HK Tennis club event years ago and saw Federer and Navratilova play a mix dubs against Mandlicova and a dude. Hana and the dude won, but that aside, how else than an exho would you get to see something like that

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote