Articles and Interviews - Page 145 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2161
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Those are interesting interviews. She 's healthy, working hard.
Its still hard to understand why her game fell apart. She makes it sound like one point in a 3rd match goes the other way, she can win the tournament.
But thats not what's been happening. In the past year she played 20 tournaments. 15 she lost early, only 2 finals & one title.
But going in to Wimbledon 2011 she had won almost 50% of every tournament she played since Rogers Cup 2010.
I still dont get the sudden dropoff. It seems mostly mental. She cant play well when it matters anymore. I wish she could play a couple of 100k's and get some easy titles to get the confidence back.
With her schedule, and her low confidence, this can keep going for a long time
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2162
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I think the above comment applies just as much to the post McHale match interview as it did when it was originally posted.
Well, "to be honest"......

Actually, I don't really think she IS 100 percent honest when she says she's not concerned about her disappointing results lately. She HAS to be worried. Sure, there's always next week, but how often can you tell that to yourself without getting worried that this time it takes a mighty long time before that week arrives when all is going well like it used to do on a by and large regular basis?
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2163
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that the questions were (finally!) better. It seemed like at the very least the press are paying attention to her game and were fairly specific about what they wanted to know. Her answers were pretty standard but at least if she is getting better questions there is a chance we will get some interesting answers.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #2164
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I wish she could play a couple of 100k's and get some easy titles to get the confidence back. With her schedule, and her low confidence, this can keep going for a long time
Agreed, unfortunately she blew her chance of a feel-good win at Copenhagen this year.

Part of me wishes she would play Stanford & Carlsbad, these probably won't have very packed draws because of the Olympics and it would be a chance for some good results.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2165
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Agreed, unfortunately she blew her chance of a feel-good win at Copenhagen this year.

Part of me wishes she would play Stanford & Carlsbad, these probably won't have very packed draws because of the Olympics and it would be a chance for some good results.
Although Caro had her chances to win that match, Kerber isn't #5 in the YEC race for nothing.

If Caro does end the year ranked outside the top 10 then she'll be able to play as many international tournaments as she wants next year (subject to tour rules about playing an international tournament the same week as a premier or premier 5 tournament).

Serena, Bartoli, Kerber, and Cibulkova are scheduled to play Stanford so it wouldn't be an easy tournament for Caro to win at the present moment. It's the same with Carlsbad except Serena isn't playing there.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2166
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Although Caro had her chances to win that match, Kerber isn't #5 in the YEC race for nothing.

If Caro does end the year ranked outside the top 10 then she'll be able to play as many international tournaments as she wants next year (subject to tour rules about playing an international tournament the same week as a premier or premier 5 tournament).

Serena, Bartoli, Kerber, and Cibulkova are scheduled to play Stanford so it wouldn't be an easy tournament for Caro to win at the present moment. It's the same with Carlsbad except Serena isn't playing there.
I'm not talking about winning, a SF or F would be nice, she has to start small again. Focusing on slams would have been the right approach at the beginning of last year when she was on a high, this year it's the right approach at the wrong time. She needs match play and good results more than anything, dropping out in R3/QF of slams or premiers won't get here anywhere, this way she'll be stuck in this stage for a long time.

Unfortunately, we have the dreaded Olympics this year as well, a completely useless event for Caroline in her current state if you ask me.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2167
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

She has to get her confidence back. I thought it was happening when she made the Miami semi then Copenhagen final.
But then she went off with Rory and had a bad early round loss to Kerber.
Then a loss to Serena is understandable, so is a retirement in Rome.
But these last 2 losses make her look very mentally weak.
Down 1-5 four sets in a row, and 2 inexcusable losses.
But I still think if she can get a good start on hardcourt & a good week 1 draw in NYC that she can get back to being a solid top 5 player for Tokyo, Beijing, YEC.
But she has to get some wins and keep winning. And keep her focus on tennis

Old Jun 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2168
country flag goldenlox

The tour seems weak right now. Look at the FO. If the story wasnt Sharapova's career slam, it would have been how random the results were.
There's still plenty of chances to win titles, even hardcourt majors, if she can get back to where she was.

I think listening to the criticism was stupid. She was doing great and should have kept slowly developing the game she had. But the criticisms and trying to be more aggressive & Rory all at the same time was too much for her, imo

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #2169
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The tour seems weak right now. Look at the FO. If the story wasnt Sharapova's career slam, it would have been how random the results were.
There's still plenty of chances to win titles, even hardcourt majors, if she can get back to where she was.

I think listening to the criticism was stupid. She was doing great and should have kept slowly developing the game she had. But the criticisms and trying to be more aggressive & Rory all at the same time was too much for her, imo
Yes, there was never anything wrong with her style and all the talk about her game was biased and as she did not win a slam. Had she won, the media would be singing a different song. Look at Azarenka, she won AO with few winners and not many pointed out at that, so go figure...

I think she may be aware of the fact that aggresive playing style is not for her but it could be people in her team who are influencing the decisions,too. She said in many interviews that she is not changing her playing style. A GM poster who attended Eastbourne saw her against McHale. They said she played aggressively in 1st set which resulted in 1-6 score in favour of McHale. Then she switched back to 'pushing' and started doing better. So, I think she is getting a lot of hints from the matchplay alone as to which style works the best for her.

Last edited by marineblue : Jun 21st, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM   #2170
country flag goldenlox

I thought about this a lot. I dont care what is said by media, who she dates, what technical tweaks she made in her game. There's no excuse for this falloff. She had so many early exits that she should have been very focused by all the losing.
Thats why this loss to Mchale looks real bad. Caroline lost week 1 in Paris. She had 2 weeks off and she cant beat Mchale, who has no results on grass. Mchale has 1 match win at Wimbledon. This was her 1st main draw win at Eastbourne, then she lost round 2.

There's something wrong & she'd better figure it out, because other players dont give a shit about Caroline's problems. They just want her in their section, because she's become a soft touch

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2171
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

The problem is that you just can't separate all these factors. The media pressure and the off-court distractions all play a factor in this. Of course it doesn't matter in the exact moment she's serving or playing but it's already too "late" then, it has already influenced her in the lead up to the match.

She simply doesn't have the same on-court attitude anymore that she had 16 months ago, she went from generally happy/positive and mentally strong to annoyed/pissed and mentally weak...for whatever reasons. Looking in from the outside it is of course impossible to tell which of the factors discussed contribute how much to these changes but I'm sure they all play a factor more or less.

The world around her has changed a lot (the media going from favorable to lot of pressure, media spotlight due to her private life, more off-court stuff) and it has dragged her tennis slowly but steadily down... there's no denying that.

So imo, as important as changes to a game are changes to her mindset, she needs to find that focus, pleasure & joy in tennis again she displayed 16 months ago. If she can't get that state of mind back, all the coaching in the world won't get her back to the top. That sounds like a lot to ask given that she's in a slump but the interesting thing is, she is still happy and relaxed off court... it just seems to go away once she starts playing nowadays.

She hasn't become a different person but she needs to change her on-court mindset more than anything. I was really shocked to see her this pissed and annoyed against Mchale from the very start. There's no excuse for this, she had a week of lead up to the tournament, the golfer was there... there just wasn't any reason to not enjoy it a little. But she can't anymore, for whatever reason.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter

Last edited by Jimmie48 : Jun 21st, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #2172
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
The problem is that you just can't separate all these factors. The media pressure and the off-court distractions all play a factor in this. Of course it doesn't matter in the exact moment she's serving or playing but it's already too "late" then, it has already influenced her in the lead up to the match.

She simply doesn't have the same on-court attitude anymore that she had 16 months ago, she went from generally happy/positive and mentally strong to annoyed/pissed and mentally weak...for whatever reasons. Looking in from the outside it is of course impossible to tell which of the factors discussed contribute how much to these changes but I'm sure they all play a factor more or less.

The world around her has changed a lot (the media going from favorable to lot of pressure, media spotlight due to her private life, more off-court stuff) and it has dragged her tennis slowly but steadily down... there's no denying that.

So imo, as important as changes to a game are changes to her mindset, she needs to find that focus, pleasure & joy in tennis again she displayed 16 months ago. If she can't get that state of mind back, all the coaching in the world won't get her back to the top. That sounds like a lot to ask given that she's in a slump but the interesting thing is, she is still happy and relaxed off court... it just seems to go away once she starts playing nowadays.

She hasn't become a different person but she needs to change her on-court mindset more than anything. I was really shocked to see her this pissed and annoyed against Mchale from the very start. There's no excuse for this, she had a week of lead up to the tournament, the golfer was there... there just wasn't any reason to not enjoy it a little. But she can't anymore, for whatever reason.
These are all good points, but each player has a lot to deal with.
I can go down the list. I'll give a couple of extreme examples.
Safina was #1 and started having back problems. Instead of taking time off, she tried to hold the #1, now she's off the tour with a bad back.
Sharapova had surgery on her shoulder. When she came back, she couldnt serve the way she used to, she had a new compact serve, but still the high ball toss, which isnt a fit with that serve. All the analysts were breaking down the toss & the motion, and her results were very uneven. I remember saying around 2010 that it looks like Pennetta past her. But the shoulder got healthier, she got much fitter, and she fought thru it all, and now she's on top of the world.

Caroline is lucky to come out of all this healthy. She has to work hard, and fight for each point. She should watch her IW match with Sharapova as an example. You have to keep fighting for everything you earn at this level. No other player will give you any gifts. And keep working on your game & fitness whenever you can.

She has to stop hanging around golf courses, unless she still has to week to prepare after golf, because her tennis game is soft, and excuses are for losers. You have to fight thru it.

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM   #2173
country flag goldenlox

No injury caused this. Just a mix of being burned out, Rory, tweaking her game in a way that made her beatable.

These are all nothings and she has fight thru it. She should have fresh legs now because she never plays those long grinding weeks she used to have all the time.
She cant walk on the court & be down 1-6 to Mchale. Its inexcusable. Its weak from Caroline.

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 02:28 PM   #2174
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

She is in transition from youngster to young adult, both as a person and as a player. She isn't the first to do so and won't be the last. There is nothing extra ordinary about, or wrong with a bit of stagnation when you achieve a life goal, and all the implications of that, as well as it being focused in a public arena. Nobody here needs an explanation... Either you want to follow her progress or you don't. The rest of the discussion is just self serving and deserves no attention but rather, just a simple statement. Deal with it!

Life is cyclical... always will be, always has been. Give the girl the respect she deserves to make her own choices without hysterical analysis of her ever god damn move, word, gesture, and performance. Commentary on her tennis is one thing, but the quest for reason and rhyme is just a little too much.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2175
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
She is in transition from youngster to young adult, both as a person and as a player. She isn't the first to do so and won't be the last. There is nothing extra ordinary about, or wrong with a bit of stagnation when you achieve a life goal, and all the implications of that, as well as it being focused in a public arena. Nobody here needs an explanation... Either you want to follow her progress or you don't. The rest of the discussion is just self serving and deserves no attention but rather, just a simple statement. Deal with it!

Life is cyclical... always will be, always has been. Give the girl the respect she deserves to make her own choices without hysterical analysis of her ever god damn move, word, gesture, and performance. Commentary on her tennis is one thing, but the quest for reason and rhyme is just a little too much.
Everyone should have the respect they deserve to make their own choices.
A high profile athlete who was ranked #1 for 15 months during 2010 & 2011, and now in 2012 is ranked 7 with no titles.. I think its okay to discuss what's going on. Its no different from any other sport.
And whether Caroline makes another run into the top 3 & back to a slam final, or not, people are going to give their opinions about it.
Thats part of why people watch sports. Not just to marvel at great athletes, but to see who wins & loses, and why. And in social networking people give their opinion.
I dont think thats ever going to stop

Even in a fan's forum, when a player is slumping, fans are going to give opinions of why & how long. And they wont all agree