Articles and Interviews - Page 111 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1651
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
McEnroe really doesn't take a swing at all here.
I'll bet he would like to take a "swing" at her.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1652
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_dreamer82 View Post
Q&A: John McEnroe Takes A Swing At Federer, Wozniacki, BNP Paribas Showdown And The Future Of Tennis
http://www.nysportsjournalism.com/qa...n-mcenroe-312/
A typical disrespectful view by an American sports commentator. At least if he checked his facts before he speaks. I don't understand why he brought Williams there as she is barely playing at the moment and at the AO ended up in round 4 losing to Makarova so it's not like she can win slams with ease nowadays.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1653
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsmash View Post
McEnroe really doesn't take a swing at all here.
Yes. When I read this "McEnroe takes a swing at Caro" - I thought Oh no - not another one. Then I read what he said and there's nothing at all swiping at Caro. And he compliments her when she was #1 by trying to drive the tour and playing on the tour and says she should get credit for that. And he says: She's a very nice girl. She's a pretty girl. She does a lot of good things.

Never believe a headline. It's usually a millions miles away from the story.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 02:46 AM   #1654
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
At this point I'm not certain that she needs any more "wake up calls" but if she loses early in Copenhagen surely she will seriously rethink things?
Caro will most likely be ranked #6 after Indian Wells and if she doesn't make it to the final it will have been a year since she last made it to a big final (Indian Wells last year). If that's not enough to get her attention, I'm not sure what would. An early loss in a slam? A tough loss? Losing early in Copenhagen like you said?

She's gone from #1 to #4, seen a 2nd peer win a slam, only won 1 title (or even made 1 final) in 3/4 of a year but still no fire from Caro.

I kind of have the feeling that Caro is content with hanging around in the top 10 more or less.

Last edited by Protoss : Mar 3rd, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 07:08 AM   #1655
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Yes. When I read this "McEnroe takes a swing at Caro" - I thought Oh no - not another one. Then I read what he said and there's nothing at all swiping at Caro. And he compliments her when she was #1 by trying to drive the tour and playing on the tour and says she should get credit for that. And he says: She's a very nice girl. She's a pretty girl. She does a lot of good things.

Never believe a headline. It's usually a millions miles away from the story.
Have you noticed he never praised her tennis? So, it's not as much of a compliment. I think what he says kind of suggests to the audience that she's just a pretty face.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1656
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Have you noticed he never praised her tennis? So, it's not as much of a compliment. I think what he says kind of suggests to the audience that she's just a pretty face.
How about these.

Quote:
We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that she has been consistent and that she was there for most of the time.
Quote:
She was in [the 2009 U.S. Open] Grand Slam finals. She has been successful. So it's not like she has fallen off.
I wouldn't expect any expert who is not an avid fan to wax lyrical praising Caro game right now. And even if he were a fan - JMac is far more positive towards her than we are here right now .

No. I did not get any impression that all he was conveying is that she was just a pretty face. But her attitude, her good looks and her committment to the tour made her a good representative and leader of women's tennis when she was #1. I know JMac has always appreciated players who commit to the tour and promote it. And that's what he was saying there.

His comments saying she wasn not better than Kim or Serena. Well - he's right. He means it in the sense that when they play - Serena / Kim win and are fancied to win by the vast majorirty and look the better player.

There was not a single negative comment I could see that he made. And not a single negative word about what Caro has achieved. The USO final was said in a positive way. Just contrast that with the way Nav came out belittling Caro's achievements at #1.

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1657
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There was not a single negative comment I could see that he made. And not a single negative word about what Caro has achieved. The USO final was said in a positive way. Just contrast that with the way Nav came out belittling Caro's achievements at #1.
Word.

I feared the worst, but he was very polite about it. I honestly don't know how marine could have misinterpreted those remarks.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1658
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't expect any expert who is not an avid fan to wax lyrical praising Caro game right now. And even if he were a fan - JMac is far more positive towards her than we are here right now .
Hey, speak for yourself. I could not possibly be any more positive and optimistic in my comments regarding Caroline.

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1659
country flag terjw

Quote:
Hey, speak for yourself. I could not possibly be any more positive and optimistic in my comments regarding Caroline.
Rest assured - I certainly didn't have you in mind when I made those comments (OMG - the lie detector has just gone off ).

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM   #1660
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Rest assured - I certainly didn't have you in mind when I made those comments (OMG - the lie detector has just gone off ).
Terjw kinda got you here DIAH.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1661
country flag DownInAHole

I am so offended by these capricious and spurious attacks on my good character that I am afraid that a series of uncharacteristically negative posts may be the result. Or something.

Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1662
country flag JadeFox

JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute JadeFox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am so offended by these capricious and spurious attacks on my good character that I am afraid that a series of uncharacteristically negative posts may be the result. Or something.
Well, at least that would be different from you constant, sickening, over the top, optimism.

When Daylight's fading,We're gonna play in the dark
Till it's golden again
JadeFox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1663
country flag Michael*

Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of Michael* has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
I don't understand why he brought Williams there as she is barely playing at the moment and at the AO ended up in round 4 losing to Makarova so it's not like she can win slams with ease nowadays.
i'm sorry but the fact that Serena made it R4 is pretty amazing considering what happened in brisbane. And if the USTA knew anything about scheduling the US Open would have surley been hers, which she got to the final with great ease..

and McEnroe hardly stakes a swing at Caro i see no problem with what he said.
Michael* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1664
marineblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Qui Qui View Post
i'm sorry but the fact that Serena made it R4 is pretty amazing considering what happened in brisbane. And if the USTA knew anything about scheduling the US Open would have surley been hers, which she got to the final with great ease..

and McEnroe hardly stakes a swing at Caro i see no problem with what he said.
He does. Saying that Caroline surely doesn't think she is next Serena Williams is a way of putting her down. When you look at career achievement it's easy to make any player look mediocre comparing them to someone like Serena Williams.

So, there was no need from him to make such comparison unless his aim was to make Caroline look not that good...which is what he wanted to do.
Yes, he mentioned the consistency but the whole of his comment doesn't sound very positive. He's pointing out at things irrelevant to the actual performance (e.g character,looks) more than her achievements and then saying that she cannot possibly think she is as good as another player.

That's not a praise.

edit: He is not as bad as Navratilova, though.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #1665
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say looking at her current situation the comment is very favorably, there's worse stuff you could say about her recent performances.

He obviously likes her and I really don't see any reason to complain.

My Tennis Photo Database

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote