Do you think The Brits will do well in Wimbledon? [Updated!] - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who?

Keothavong (British #1) will make it to R2 or better. 23 44.23%
O'Brien will reach R2 for the second year in a row. 14 26.92%
South will make it to R2 or R3. 20 38.46%
Cavaday will reach R2 for the first time. 11 21.15%
Baltacha will make it to R3 again. 5 9.62%
Qualifier will surprise and make it to R2. 6 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #1
country flag jamatthews

jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute jamatthews has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think The Brits will do well in Wimbeldon

No, we'll be lucky to have a player win a round.
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #2
country flag Yarden

Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute Yarden has a reputation beyond repute
Do you think The Brits will do well in Wimbledon? [Updated!]

Who will do well there? 0 Brits girls reached the final QR so the will be no Brits qualifiers in the main draw.
MD is out so what do you think now? Which of them have the best chance to get some wins?

Main Draw

Baltacha vs. Kerber
Zheng vs. (30)Cibulkova

Pin vs. Strycova
South vs. (28)A. Bondarenko

(24)Peer vs. O’Brien
Safarova vs. Loit

(7)V. Williams vs. Cavaday
Keothavong vs. King

Statistics from grass court season:

Anne Keothavong

Surbiton (50K): lost in the final to Erakovic.
Birmingham: lost in R1 to K. Bondarenko.
Rosmalen: lost in R1 to Errani.

2008 Singles Record: 30-17
Best result in Wimbledon: R2 in 2004 lost to Sharapova.

Katie O'Brien

Surbiton (50K): lost in R2 to C. Gullickson.
Birmingham: lost in R2 to Shvedova.
Eastbourne: lost in R1 to Stosur.

2008 Singles Record: 13-17
Best result in Wimbledon: R2 in 2007 lost to Krajicek.

Melanie South

Surbiton (50K): lost in R2 to Kulikova.
Birmingham: lost in the QF to Wickmayer (def. Bammer and Nakamura).
Eastbourne: lost in R1 to Kleybanova.

2008 Singles Record: 29-17
Best result in Wimbledon: R2 in 2006 lost to Perry (def. Schiavone in 3).

Elena Baltacha

Surbiton (50K): lost in R2 to Tanasugarn.
Birmingham: lost in R1 to Makarova.
Eastbourne: lost in QR2 to Pironkova.

2008 Singles Record: 18-10
Best result in Wimbledon: R3 in 2002 lost to Likhovtseva (def. Coetzer in 3).

Naomi Cavaday

Surbiton (50K): lost in R1 to Erakovic.
Birmingham: lost in R2 to Rao (def. Craybas in 2).
Eastbourne: lost in QR1 to Baltacha.

2008 Singles Record: 17-11
Best result in Wimbledon: R1 in 2006/2007 lost to Sugiyama and Hingis (in 07' won a set against Hingis).

Last edited by Yarden : Jun 20th, 2008 at 02:41 PM.
Yarden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think The Brits will do well in Wimbeldon?

if anyone was to win a match, it will be south - but it all depends on the draw of course. if keothavong cant beat errani on grass, well thats says it all for her im affraid.

lets just hope south draws bammer in round 1 then nakamura in round 2!

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #4
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute

The two players who are most likley to do very well, i'e win a few rounds are Mel South and Naomi Cavaday. Naomi is not in great form or fitness BUT she is the most talented out of the top 5 brits.

It all depends on the draw of course.

Based on qualifying, it doesn't look good.

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #5
country flag vadin124

vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute vadin124 has a reputation beyond repute

as is the case with every year, most brits will bow out first round...one might get a ridiculously easy first round opponent and reach the second round, only to be pummeled by one of the seeds

however, Keothavong stands a good chance of making the semi's or even the final

Tennis player of the Millenium

Grand Slam Finalist | Career High Rank #9 | Queen of the Injury Time-Out

Venus | Dokic | Kirilenko | Robson
vadin124 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #6
country flag Oswald56

Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold Oswald56 is a splendid one to behold

If you're lucky you'll get a couple into the second round so the press can hype them beyond belief and then announce the death of British tennis when they all plummet soon after.
Oswald56 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #7
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadin124 View Post
as is the case with every year, most brits will bow out first round...one might get a ridiculously easy first round opponent and reach the second round, only to be pummeled by one of the seeds

however, Keothavong stands a good chance of making the semi's or even the final

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #8
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Anne is gonna win the whole thing

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #9
country flag Tipp

Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of Tipp has much to be proud of

Only way a Brit is getting to the second round is if two of them are drawn against each other in the first.
Tipp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #10
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

I know Anne lost to Errani, but playing at home in a massive stadium is completely different. Anne and Mel can both make it through. Anne has had tough draws in the past (JJ 07, Sprem 06) hope she can get a good draw here.
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #11
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #12
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think The Brits will do well in Wimbeldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamatthews View Post
No, we'll be lucky to have a player win a round.
i feel the same, though anne could with a decent draw but i dont hold out much hope for any of the other girls!

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #13
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Awful, as usual! It is amazing that Britian once a major tennis force, has only one decent male player an no decent female players. The USA could be in the same situation on the female side, once the Williams retire. The male situation isn^t much better concerning players under 25.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #14
country flag hankqq

hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute hankqq has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't understand why the Brits have 0 top female players. They've got the facilities, and the money to ship someone out to Miami/Barcelona if desired. Why is Andy Murray the only good singles player from Great Britain?

Anyway, I think at least someone will reach the rd.64. It's doubtful that anyone will reach rd.32.
hankqq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #15
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

Go Naomi
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote