Article: Doubt Over Dokic Support - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
country flag cn ireland

cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future cn ireland has a brilliant future
Re: Article: Doubt Over Dokic Support

While I understand why Oz tennis might be worried about Jelena's committment, I think they should remember how successful she was when playing under the Oz flag!!

Can't see any of their other players achieving as much success!
cn ireland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #2
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute

Article?
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #3
country flag Slutati
The Most Lovely Member

Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the article?
Edit:here it is http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis...863837025.html

THROUGH her fast-improving, if still modest, world ranking of 225, Jelena Dokic has played herself back into contention for renewed coaching support from Tennis Australia. Will she receive it? Maybe. Or maybe not.

Dokic's fierce public criticism of the failure to grant her an Australian Open wildcard this year may not have irreparably harmed her quest for support from the national federation, but nor was it her smartest career move.

"She didn't help (her cause)," Tennis Australia's director of player development Craig Tiley said. "Damage? I wouldn't say damage, but she didn't help it. She's an Australian player and I'd love to see her do well, and we would want to support her, but on certain terms."

European-based Dokic savaged Tennis Australia and accused the national selectors of a conflict of interest after losing in the second round of qualifying at Melbourne Park this year. The former Wimbledon semi-finalist also claimed she had accomplished more in the previous week than some of the local wildcard recipients had ever achieved.

Under Tennis Australia's athlete assistance policy, players aged under 23 who are ranked inside the world's top 250 automatically receive full Australian Institute of Sport scholarships, including coaching and travel assistance. Those over 23 may be eligible for coaching through wildcards decided by the national coaches — in the case of 25-year-old Dokic, AIS head coach Brent Larkham and Fed Cup captain David Taylor.

Peter Luczak, for example, pays his own travel expenses, but the 28-year-old Victorian is provided with coaching. Dokic is now theoretically eligible for help after a string of solid satellite-level results that have returned her to the national top 10.

"We ask the coaches to consider her, and based on her performance in the past and her attitude to the coaches, they'll consider it," Tiley said. "They watch every day, so they watch what's going on … in Jelena's case, we're happy she's doing well, 225 is good but not great, and it's a hard road but she's doing it, and when she gets to a higher point and we know that she's committed to it, then we can probably talk again."

Yet Tiley also warned that respectful athlete conduct was paramount "and if we have athletes that don't behave that way, we're really not interested in having them in our program, they can go and do their own thing". "I think Jelena showed that type of behaviour during the Australian Open and we won't support that, and I made it very clear to her that we won't support that, so she knows where we stand."

Promising teenagers Bernard Tomic and Brydan Klein have both been disciplined under Tennis Australia's commendable zero-tolerance behavioural policy, punished with suspensions and the temporary withdrawal of financial support. "It's part of growing up, and it's part of the journey, but you break the rules and you get punished," Tiley said. "It's pretty simple, it's black-and-white for me on that one, but I think they're learning and they're getting better."
Slutati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #4
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn ireland View Post
While I understand why Oz tennis might be worried about Jelena's committment, I think they should remember how successful she was when playing under the Oz flag!!

Can't see any of their other players achieving as much success!
At the same time, why would they want to support a player who trashes them to the world media? Jelena should have kept her mouth shut. She's lucky they're willing to give her a second chance.
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #5
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

I hope she becomes Serbian
the Australians obviously don't want her.
Jelena has played about 6 tournaments this year and is 225 and they make it seem like she played all year
LEAVE Australia Jelena, you'll be better off without them and their negativity

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #6
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute

It was a fair enough article, that's exactly what I expected their mindset to be like. She needs to keep at it and show she's committed before they feel comfortable offering her substantial assistance, that's what I've said all along. Jelena should keep plugging away and proving them wrong and earn their support again. And STAY Australian.
Never come

Old Jun 14th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #7
country flag So Disrespectful

So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute So Disrespectful has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys, I did post the article but it was when the forum was having problems.

Casey Dellacqua, Jelena Jankovic, Anna-Lena Groenefeld,
Jelena Dokic, Mirjana Lucic, Paula Ormaechea, Sloane Stephens
Jarmila Gajdosova, Melanie Oudin, Kaia Kanepi, Alison Riske
So Disrespectful is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #8
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

aussies do want her... but at times she hasnt treated tennis australia fairly at all - whether they gave her deserving WC's or not...

i hope she does get all the support she needs, but u cant expect there to be completely healthy relationships between dokic & TA atm...
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #9
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

We definitely do want her and her efforts this year have been supported and celebrated. TA seems to have a difficulty with all of its players except perhaps for people like Jessica Moore and Alicia Molik. I trust that Jelean does not consider switching on us again!
scottsue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #10
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Come back home, Jelena.
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis Australia need a boot up the behing. They really do. I understand there concern, but really, no one else who is out there on the ciruit with AUS next to their name has anywhere near as much potential as Jelena has - even at 26!

If she wants WC's GIVE THEM TO HER! If they aren't going to here they're just going to some player stuck at ITF, and will never leave there in all honesty. I support our girls, but after so many years on the circuit, Wheeler, Adamczak and Ferguson are still stuck at ITF level. Dokic actually has hope of being successful at a WTA level once again, give her all the assistance she needs to do that, it would be the most successful decision Tennis Australia have ever made.

Last edited by Golovinjured. : Jun 16th, 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #12
country flag Slutati
The Most Lovely Member

Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute

I'm torn. I really want her to be Serbian again, but that would mean bye bye Australian Open...forever
Slutati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #13
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Look, I honestly think that this conversation is dead and buried. Jelena would have gone back to representing Serbia by now if she wanted to. Clearly she hasn't, as she feels that it is better for her to remain an Aussie. In addition, it means she has the opportunity for wildcards into the 2009 summer events, which she surely deserves...in my opinion, she has definitely already done enough for an Australian Open wildcard, if she even needs one. She knows how bad it would look for her to go back to Serbia now...

And like Phantom Limb said in another thread, TA has shown pretty average support for most of its players, except when they are getting results. When they do get results, TA takes a lot of the credit for it. Look at Dellacqua. She was struggling for several years, but when they revamped the AIS Program, she was offered a scholarship and told that if she achieved each and every one of her 3 month goals, she would still be in the AIS, otherwise she would be dropped. In addition, it looks like Olivia Rogowska, who beat Dokic at the playoff last year, has been dropped from the AIS after only two months, how is that support? It's obvious the girl has talent, how can she take the next step if she has been down graded? This is according to the AIS site...

The list goes on...to keep it plain and simple, TA doesn't like to spend money on improving player development programs, or fund players and TA doesn't like it when they are critisized...and Dokic has done plenty of that. But she isn't the only one, Hewitt fought for 3 years for the court speed to be changed, and TA really didn;t listen to him
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #14
11/11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
Look, I honestly think that this conversation is dead and buried. Jelena would have gone back to representing Serbia by now if she wanted to. Clearly she hasn't, as she feels that it is better for her to remain an Aussie. In addition, it means she has the opportunity for wildcards into the 2009 summer events, which she surely deserves...in my opinion, she has definitely already done enough for an Australian Open wildcard, if she even needs one. She knows how bad it would look for her to go back to Serbia now...
Perfectly said.

Jelena will (and should) remain an Aussie. If she has to get better and keep playing to earn TA's trust/support again, then that's what she should do. She's in control of her own tennis destiny, even if TA are pieces of shit and play favorites.
Never come

Old Jun 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #15
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Well here is an article from The Age, and although it's not about Jelena, it proves TA is not interested in helping you if you are not in their system...seemingly this is when they make life extremely difficult for our next generation of tour level players

------------------------------
THE most successful player development program in the country is being run in Jason Stoltenberg's backyard because Tennis Australia has turned its back on him.
Tennis Australia's player development manager, Craig Tiley, has rejected Stoltenberg's offer to work with the governing body, forcing parents to pay up to $150,000 a year to fund their children's careers while they try to make the transition from juniors to the ATP and WTA tours.
Tennis Australia does not provide financial assistance to any junior working outside its program because Tiley wants to tell players where to be coached, and by whom. Critics say it's his way or the highway, and most have chosen their own road.
"We're thankful that someone with the playing and coaching credentials of Jason wants to coach Andrew," Coral Thomas said of her son, who, as one of the world's top juniors, is working with Stoltenberg.
"It's disappointing that TA choose not to support Andrew. They've invited him into the AIS, but we think Andrew has a better chance of making it in tennis by working with Jason."
The new forces of world tennis have forged their success on governing bodies financially supporting prime junior talent to be groomed by coaches of their own choosing. But when Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood organised a meeting with Tiley to discuss Stoltenberg possibly working with the governing body, "Craig didn't even entertain the idea", Stoltenberg said.
"All he basically said is, 'Look, we financially support programs that we have full control of. If kids choose to work with you, that's their decision. But they need to know we're not in a position of wanting to support them if they do it.' "
Stoltenberg is a former Wimbledon semi-finalist and has coached world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt. He was head coach of Tennis Australia's high-performance unit three years ago, but was at constant loggerheads with Tiley and resigned.
Four of the five Australian boys in the French Open juniors have left Tennis Australia's program. "Two families have been able to cover themselves to a point, but Andrew's can't do it much longer," Stoltenberg said. "They're getting no assistance at all. I would have thought the main priority was to help their development in any way possible."
Thomas, 18, nearly had to fly home before the French Open juniors because of diminishing funds. He'll have private backing for junior Wimbledon. Stoltenberg also coaches Jared Easton and Isabella Holland on his Templestowe court.

----------------------------
Isabella is one of our brightest juniors. Because she is working with Stoltenberg, it is unlikely that TA will offer her any support (financial or training) in the near future, They should be working as a unit for her, not as opposing camps, and this is TA's fault IMO