Caroline's Ranking Breakdown - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #91
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Caroline's Ranking Breakdown

SHe could gain point during the Olympic, Rogers Cup, & Western & Southern Open
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #92
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

Wozniacki is 11th in the Race. Only a few players behind her could downgrade her until the end of 2012 (Clijsters, Lisicki, Ivanovic??, Kanepi, Goerges). Most probably, she'll finish the year inside the Top15, maybe in the lower Top10. Sure it's disappointing, but it's not catastrophic.

At that point, I'm just afraid that she'll miss the Year End Championship. She already has more than 700 points behind Stosur, number 8 in the Race. She'll need a really strong finish to be among the last 8. Basically, she'll have the double her points, since 4000 pts is usually needed to grab the 8th spot.
Achernar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #93
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
Wozniacki is 11th in the Race. Only a few players behind her could downgrade her until the end of 2012 (Clijsters, Lisicki, Ivanovic??, Kanepi, Goerges). Most probably, she'll finish the year inside the Top15, maybe in the lower Top10. Sure it's disappointing, but it's not catastrophic.

At that point, I'm just afraid that she'll miss the Year End Championship. She already has more than 700 points behind Stosur, number 8 in the Race. She'll need a really strong finish to be among the last 8. Basically, she'll have the double her points, since 4000 pts is usually needed to grab the 8th spot.
I don't think she going too fall out the top 10 this year atleast I hope not, I think her year ending rank might be 7-8, as for as the race I would like her too make it but if she don't I won't be that bumped out she needs too regroup, I just hope she have a good Olympic at this point

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #94
country flag Trey

I Notice GM been saying Caro will be outta Ten After U.S. Open is that True ? I thought she could gain points at Olympic, Rogers Cup, & Western & Southern Open, want that help her stay in the top 10

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #95
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I Notice GM been saying Caro will be outta Ten After U.S. Open is that True ? I thought she could gain points at Olympic, Rogers Cup, & Western & Southern Open, want that help her stay in the top 10
It's probably just speculation. I would guess that there are far too many variables to say for certain where she will be ranked after the U.S. Open. I do think she will have a very tough time defending her points from New Haven and the U.S. Open so it is certainly possible that she will drop out of the top ten but it is also possible that she can climb in the rankings, at least a spot or two.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #96
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
GM has the habit of taking their wishes for facts. Obviously all will depend on what Caroline and those close behind her will do in the months to come.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #97
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not take anything said in GM seriously, especially when it's regarding Caroline... She will have to get some good results now, there are still opportunities left. I think she won't drop out of top 10 this season,though.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #98
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

When I listen to former players who are commentators discuss tennis, they dont even mention Wozniacki anymore when they talk about top players.
Now its Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka, Kvitova, Radwanska.

I've never seen anyone destroy their own career by changing a successful style of play before.

Now Caroline has to show she can be relevant again. And winning a couple of early round matches wont do it.

This is a big hardcourt season for Caroline, and I dont know what she's going to do if she's still losing early most tournaments when back on hardcourt
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #99
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline is still an elite player,however,she really needs some big results now. The changes that she made to her game did not bring any improvement in the results,there's no way of denying that.

And,I don't think she is naive enough to not see that a more aggressive approach has not made her tougher but instead it made her a lot more beatable.After she lost against Pazsek she said that no matter how well you played nobody is going to remember it the next day if you're the loser.

She will get back on track if she stops playing in a way that makes her feel outside of her comfort zone. She's a great defensive player who can also take initiative when opportunity comes. I'm wondering what will happen in case the current situation continues (which hopefully won't happen). Maybe we will really see her leaving Piotr and hiring a coach who'd help her rebuild the game she used to play in the past instead of the 'be-more-aggressive' mess which has got her in danger of dropping outside of top 10.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #100
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Kirilenko was 2 points from the Wimbledon semis. This is a great time to be an elite player because there are a lot of soft draws.
But if you cant beat Mchale, Kanepi, Paszek, Safarova, Goerges, Ivanovic ( who are all outside the top 10), it doesnt matter what your draws are if all these players keep beating you

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #101
country flag Trey

I disagree again I think it good for her too keep her Counterpunher game style But that just not going bring Caro back too the top I sorry she need too add somthing too her game, she does need a weapon weather it her serve, or her FH getter better, Her just running down ball and waiting for the error not going win her a slam, and what we need too understand is it going take time for her too get used too be aggressive and what I mean about being aggressive I not trying say like a Serena or Maria, but an aggressive CouterPunher, She need that Weapon that can get her outta trouble when she down or too end a match when she up, Again Look Back at the AO 2011 when she had Match Point on her Match with Li na she should have won that match but Li na made a great comeback, if Caro had a Weapon like a Serve she could ended the Match, Also we have too understand she just started too work with this coach result are not going happen over night or in one match even through we would want them too, look how long it took Maria & Ana too get Used too their Coach, & Caro also learning how too not being in her comfort ZOne which is behind the Baseline through the whole match that something she going have too get used too as well. I still think she need too go back too her old Racquet Babolat

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #102
country flag Achernar

Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future Achernar has a brilliant future

I’m not answering a particular post but, inspired by the posts above mine, I just want to share my view about Wozniacki's situation. First of all, I agree she has no excuse to lose against players like McHale, Vinci or Hantuchova. That's certainly not the best way to climb the ranking. She’s just a much better player than them. That's being said, I do not see her as an elite player. I never have and never will, unless she proves me wrong. Those would be Clijsters, Henin, Graf, the Williams sisters, Hingis, among others. With peak Sharapova not far behind. The next category would be players like Li Na, Kuznetsova, Azarenka, Kvitova in their best days. Those players would normally reach GS semifinals and being contenders for Mandatory and Premier 5 events. They should be located somewhere between 4th and 8th in the ranking.

Personally, I rank Wozniacki in the next category, with Dementieva, Zvonareva, or Radwanska. Those players would normally reach GS quarterfinals, with an occasional semifinal or a 4th round exit. They would win intermediate events (New Haven) regularly and a Premier 5 event once in a while. They should be located somewhere between 6th and 12th in the ranking.

Since I thought she was ranked too high last year, her fall in the ranking is not bothering or surprising me as much as it does for many of her other fans (however, her actual level of play certainly is). In my point of view, Wozniacki is an overachiever. She already has far exceeded my expectations. I became a fan when she was unable to pass through the third and fourth round in the Slams. At a time when she was constantly losing to Lisicki, and Cirstea and when Jankovic was toying with her.

In my POV, Wozniacki’s progression in the ranking at the end of 2010 had two causes: first, she started to put more pressure on her opponents, occasionally coming to the net and hitting the ball very deep in the court, resulting in a flow of forced and unforced errors from the ballbashers. On the other hand, the defensive players (Peer, Cibulkova, Dementieva), have always constituted a challenge for her, since she is unable to hit winners against them, while they're giving her fewer errors. She also benefited from some circumstances: the best players were playing half-schedules, some were injured or retired (Safina, Henin), and many were playing at a fraction of their real capabilities (Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, just to name a few). The path to the top of the ranking was wild open and Wozniacki seizes her chance. All credits to her. However, you know something is abnormal when a player like Zvonareva, who spent most of her career between the 7th and 20th rank, become number two in the world and make 2 GS finals. Inevitably, the competition would increase. It happened when Na Li and Kvitova stepped up, while Sharapova regained her form and Azarenka was greatly improving her game. At the same time, Goerges, Petkovic, Cibulkova, Lisicki and others constituted a real Top20.

Meanwhile, all the pressure was on Wozniacki, the infamous slamless number one. The girl is strong and she offered an incredible resistance to that pressure Unfortunately, she’s just human and I think that they eventually succeeded to break her mental toughness. She’s also trying to improve her offensive skills and to reconcile her professional and personal life. That’s a huge challenge.

Personally, I think that she can add some weapons to her game without losing her defensive skills. She already did in 2010. Her service is also a lot better than it uses to be back in 2009-2010. But she must fight against her instincts. Let's not forget she has learned to play against a wall. Her whole game has been build around a defensive mindset. It brought her in the Top10, but it was never enough to beat Clijsters or Sharapova. And it will not be enough to beat the new Azarenka, Kerber or Kvitova if they play a good match. I always thought she could become a modern Clijsters, but she’ll need to improve her offensive skills to reach that level.

Right now, her main goal should be to regain her confidence. And it will come with wins. I have to say that I liked what I saw in the first round of Wimbledon. She was coming to the net, playing a good offensive match and defending well. The way she was playing, success will come soon enough. As for now, as long as she continues to win most of her matches against the players ranked outside the Top 30, and some matches against the Top 11-30, she’ll maintain a good ranking.

Hum, sorry for the length. I hope the read was not too unpleasant
Achernar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #103
country flag Trey

^ Not at all U Spoke Your Mind lol, I agree with U when U said her becoming a modern Clijsters, that something I always wanted Caro to become, I also say I like Her too at least win a Slam before Her career is over

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #104
country flag goldenlox

"Personally, I think that she can add some weapons to her game without losing her defensive skills."

Yeah, I think thats what everyone expected. That she would add to her game while still being a defensive oriented game that she was winning with.

Instead she gave that up to be more aggressive ( especially the forehand side).

But winning is the most important thing, and she doesnt do that anymore. No titles and mostly early round losses.

She is so far from where she was. If she doesnt win this hardcourt fall, what is she going to do? That is the part I'm interested in. She's risking a lot to be more aggressive in a way that never worked for her before

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #105
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
Personally, I think that she can add some weapons to her game without losing her defensive skills. She already did in 2010. Her service is also a lot better than it uses to be back in 2009-2010. But she must fight against her instincts. Let's not forget she has learned to play against a wall. Her whole game has been build around a defensive mindset. It brought her in the Top10, but it was never enough to beat Clijsters or Sharapova. And it will not be enough to beat the new Azarenka, Kerber or Kvitova if they play a good match. I always thought she could become a modern Clijsters, but she’ll need to improve her offensive skills to reach that level.
Just a slight correction. Caroline has defeated Maria twice (once at the 2010 U.S. open and once at Indian Wells in 2011). It's fair to point out that Maria is playing much better now than she was then so who knows if the Caroline of late 2010/early 2011 would beat the Maria of today.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote