Wuhan'14: Taming the tiger, defeating the dragon - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 14th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
country flag buian

buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light
Wuhan'14: Taming the tiger, defeating the dragon

Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open
Wuhan, CHINA
Sep 21 - Sep 27
Category Premier 5
Surface Hard / Outdoors
Draw 56S/32Q/28D
Prize money US$$2,440,070
Website http://www.wuhanopen.org/

The Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open is one of three WTA events in China new to the calendar in 2014, bringing the total number of tournaments in the growing tennis hotbed to six. It is also one of two Premier-level stops in China.

Sandwiched in between Premier events in Tokyo and Beijing during the WTA's Asian swing, the Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open will take place at the Optics Valley International Tennis Center.

Last edited by buian : Sep 14th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
buian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 14th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #2
country flag buian

buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light buian is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Wuhan'14: Taming the tiger, defeating the dragon

Hello! Wuhan!

http://en.wuhanopen.org/index.php/in...eo-vid-11.html
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Good Luck Maria
It should be Tokyo, they downgrade Tokyo to this
Stupid decision by WTA
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#29
PAW Rank:#29 Titles New Haven 2014
FITD Rank:#81.
Three Hands Titles Montreal, Tokyo 2014
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #4
country flag Shirapova

Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of Shirapova has much to be proud of

Awesome thread-title! I like.

"Nur wer sich selbst das letzte an Leistung abverlangt, wird über den Durchschnitt hinauskommen."
Shirapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #5
country flag KK2009

KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux Squall View Post
Good Luck Maria
It should be Tokyo, they downgrade Tokyo to this
Stupid decision by WTA
I agree, and as in the host country, I'm concerned over the primary orgnazation.
Unlike Tokyo, Wuhan is far from tennis aura.
Only Li Na, and possibly Williams, are familiar to most people.
I can totally envisage the disrespectful behavior from the audience.
Hopefully Maria will be friendly treated.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #6
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2009 View Post
I agree, and as in the host country, I'm concerned over the primary orgnazation.
Unlike Tokyo, Wuhan is far from tennis aura.
I can totally envisage the disrespectful behavior from the audience.
Hopefully Maria will be friendly treated.
Chinese people are unfamiliar with tennis etiquette, but they usually are very enthusiastic which is the most important thing. And I'm sure that they know who Maria Sharapova is. Anyone with even just a moderate interest in tennis knows who she is.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #7
country flag Asanty

Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future Asanty has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2009 View Post
Wut? I think Maria is huge in Asia.
Asanty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #8
country flag KK2009

KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all KK2009 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanty View Post
Wut? I think Maria is huge in Asia.
More in Japan where Maria shares lots of good memories there.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #9
country flag KK2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Chinese people are unfamiliar with tennis etiquette, but they usually are very enthusiastic which is the most important thing. And I'm sure that they know who Maria Sharapova is. Anyone with even just a moderate interest in tennis knows who she is.
Credit to Li, Zheng & Peng, Chinese people starts paying attention to WTA.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #10
country flag KK2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by buian View Post
Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open
Wuhan, CHINA
Sep 21 - Sep 27
Category Premier 5
Surface Hard / Outdoors
Draw 56S/32Q/28D
Prize money US$$2,440,070
Website http://www.wuhanopen.org/

The Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open is one of three WTA events in China new to the calendar in 2014, bringing the total number of tournaments in the growing tennis hotbed to six. It is also one of two Premier-level stops in China.

Sandwiched in between Premier events in Tokyo and Beijing during the WTA's Asian swing, the Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open will take place at the Optics Valley International Tennis Center.

The picture actual indicates Wuhan Open Photography Contest. You may wanna change it.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #11
country flag Ziggy88

Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light Ziggy88 is a glorious beacon of light

Being half Asian, believe me, Maria has huge following in Asian countries. She is well adored and loved in non-tennis countries such as Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore. Even in China. But Chinese are not as demonstrative as the other Asian countries fans like the Philippines.. Even Maria will be surprised :-)
Ziggy88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #12
country flag KK2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy88 View Post
Being half Asian, believe me, Maria has huge following in Asian countries. She is well adored and loved in non-tennis countries such as Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore. Even in China. But Chinese are not as demonstrative as the other Asian countries fans like the Philippines.. Even Maria will be surprised :-)
Die-hard fans are!
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #13
country flag LoveMasha2008

LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future LoveMasha2008 has a brilliant future

An intuitive way to compare players' popularity in China in to compare the level of activity of their fan forums at baidu.com. Baidu forums are undoubtedly the most viewed and visited websites by sports fans.

Li Na's forum has 97,000+ threads, 2,577,000+ posts, 82,000+ members:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D6%D0%B...F8%C4%C8%C4%C8

The statistics are displayed at the bottom of the page.

Masha's forum has 29,000+ threads, 1,403,000+ posts, 15,000+ members:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%C9%AF%C0%AD%B2%A8%CD%DE

Serena's forum has 8,000+ threads, 193,000+ posts, 5,000+ members:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D0%A1%CD%FE

Peng Shuai's forum has 8,000+ threads, 191,000+ posts, 3,000+ members:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=%C5%ED%CB%A7

Zheng Jie's forum has 12,000+ threads, 930,000+ posts 4,000+ members:

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=%D6%A3%BD%E0

Serena's popularity is underestimated by these statistics because although she doesn't have a tremendous fan base here, she is well known for her achievements.

My impression is that Masha and Serena are the best known WTA players besides Li in China, and for many casual sports fans, they two are the only foreign women tennis players they know.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #14
country flag Fan de Tennis

Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold Fan de Tennis is a splendid one to behold

I can't wait, I can't wait

By the way, great title Buian

In GM it says that Maria could arrive on Tuesday. Any news about that ? Because it's a little early, no ?
Fan de Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #15
country flag AniaSharapova

AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan de Tennis View Post
I can't wait, I can't wait

By the way, great title Buian

In GM it says that Maria could arrive on Tuesday. Any news about that ? Because it's a little early, no ?
IMO not too early She probably wants some time to get over jet lag. Maybe she also has some commitments in Wuhan like visiting Kids Clinic or Sugarpova event? And you know, difference between USA and Asia is huge so she needs time to get used to new environment
AniaSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote