Would Kirilenko and Golovin have been better off playing the Eddie Herr 16u? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:13 PM   #1
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Post Would Kirilenko and Golovin have been better off playing the Eddie Herr 16u?

I was wondering, would 14 year old Maria Kirilenko and 13 year old Tatiana Golovin have been better off playing the 2001 Eddie Herr 16u instead of the 18u? What do you think? What would have been better for Maria and Tatiana. Playing and advancing further in the 16u, or playing the 18u, and playing well against 17 year old Eva Birnova, the #1 ranked junior girl? As much as I would like to have seen them dominate play in the 16u, I think it's a better experience for Maria and Tatiana to play well against the better competition in the 18u. Do you agree?
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:36 PM   #2
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
The only serious competition is U18 level , thats what matters on the ITF Junior Circuit , other levels are only minor.
This is where you really make your mark.

Tatiana taking Eva Birnerova to 3 sets is much better than swiping all U16 players.

Maria also performed cradably as well .
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2001, 03:03 AM   #3
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
although it's all individual, it was better for Tatiana to play u18. She is a big girl and it wouldn't be any challenge for her to overpower u16 competition. Without a challenge there is no player development.

I don't really know much about Masha, never saw her playing, so can't say.
Old Dec 1st, 2001, 12:17 PM   #4

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.*****************/Tournaments/International/EddieHerr2001.htm

Tatiana blew it she led 6-3 4-1 40-15

and in 3rd set she also led 3-1
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
Old Dec 1st, 2001, 01:28 PM   #5
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
I guess you guys are right. It's better for them to play the 18's at this stage. The experience is good for them. But it's a shame that Tatiana let that match slip away from her. But can you imagine how good 13 year old Tatiana will be when she is 17? If she stays healthy, she should be a tremendous player. Being an athlete is in Tatiana's blood. Her father Gregori Golovin, played on the Soviet National Hockey team. So she's playing with some great genes. Let's hope Tatiana fulfills her potential.

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 02:29 PM   #6
the cat

Tenn_ace, I was wondering what you meant by saying that Tatiana Golovin is a big girl. I thought she was really skinny, like the Mashas, Sharapova and Kirilenko. But then I saw a photo of Tatiana in her quarterfinal match at the Eddie Herr tournament. I was shocked to see Tatiana looking so strong and developed. How did that happen? She is only 13. The photo and article of how she let the match against Eva Birnerova slip away are located at www.*****************/Tournaments/International/EddieHerr2001.htm

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 11:20 PM   #7
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
the cat in the gat, what i meant is that physically she looks way more developed than 13 yo. In fact, when I saw her first round match at the USO, at first I thought that her oppponent was Tatiana... I was really surprised myself.

I'm not sure that being good at 13 guarantees a very bright future. Considering that Tatiana is playing powerful tennis, it might be difficult for her to stay away from injures. I wish her luck anyway.
Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 04:15 PM   #8
the cat

Tenn_ace, thanks for the Tatiana Golovin information. I forgot that you saw her at the 2001 U.S. Open. I hope injuries won't hamper her developement the way they did Anna's developement. Injuries are so hard to figure out. But if Tatiana can stay healthy, and have the mental toughness and killer instinct to equal match her physical prowess, she should become a tremendous player. Besides Tatiana, there are no other 13 year old girls capable of playing high level 18u tennis. Her future is bright.

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 05:52 PM   #9
NejedlyKanepi

wow, that picture is "interesting" people give me shit about olga only being 14 and dressing in normal short shorts and sleeveless shirt. LOOK AT TATIANA!!! im just glad that she actually has the figure to do this and pull it off, because it would be bad say if eva b did this...wouldnt you agree? and i consent that its better for them to play 18s. good luck to tatiana, though shes a bit hootchie for a 13 year old shes deffinately not one of those girls who doesnt have it but thinks they do. so shes cool
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2001, 12:32 AM   #10
the cat

In retrospect, I think it's an easy decision to let 13 year old Tatiana Golovin play the 18's. She is physically ready. How do I say this, she is growing fast! Maria on the other hand, is a much tougher call. Because she is much slighter than Tatiana. Even though she is exactly one year older than Tatiana. I've only seen a couple of photos of Maria. But when it comes to muscle, Maria is slight of might! In fact, Maria Kirilenko makes Maria Sharapova look like an amazon! The N5'99 issue of Matchboll magazine lists Maria as being 1,52cm(5' tall) and weighing only 36 kg(79.3 pounds). I'm sure Maria has grown several inches and put on some weight in the past 2 years. But her build is on the fragile side. Making her easy to overpower by most 18u players. That's why it's a tough call, in my opinion, for 14 year old Maria to play the 18's full time. I think she would be better off playing mostly 16's and winning a few of those tournaments. And then mixing in a few 18u tournaments here and there. I think that would be the most appropriate schedule for her at this point in her career. Any way you slice it or topspin it, Tatiana and Maria have bright futures. I just hope they are handled correctly by their managers and coaches.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 02:29 PM   #11
the cat

Besides Maria Kirilenko and Tatiana Golovin, I left a name off the list of very young junior players who should consider playing the 16's, instead of the 18's. That name is Olga Puchkova. Tatiana has proven that even at the tender age of 13, she's strong enough to handle the 18's. Fourteen year old Maria Kirilenko isn't nearly as physically prepared as Tatiana is to play the 18's. But Maria's results in the 18's thus far have been okay. So the experience should be doing her some good. Although, I would like to see Maria play some 16's again, just so she can win a tournament. Then there is Olga Puchkova, a tall 14 year old girl from Belarus. She has struggled in the 18's. I definately think she should be playing the 16's. That would re-build her confidence. And then mix in an 18u tournament every once in a while. Olga only recently turned 14, so she is still very young. Even for a junior. I think if a junior player is pushed into the 18's too soon, it can cause permanent damage to her game. I hope that's not the case with Olga Puchkova. Udachi Olga!

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: the cat in the hat ]

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:39 AM   #12
NejedlyKanepi

i hate to admit it, and im sure you are fully aware of how much i hate to admit it. but i also agree olga should play the u16s. she has inconsistent results in the top grades, while in the lower grades its obvious she can produce the results (3, 4, 5) though you wouldnt know it by the prince cup in doubles, she can take on the best u18, but in singles, maybe not [Sad] i wish i could be like, hey olga, whats oigng on. but i cant. if i lived i nmiami id stalk her. well you know, hang out in key biscayne untill i saw her and then i can ask her some questions.
Old Dec 6th, 2001, 03:25 AM   #13

NejedlyKanepi ....Stalking Olga

Olga has played far too much tournaments for someone her age ,
well the good news is she can't do much worse in 2002

All the best Olga and qualify for Orange Bowl

I suspect she's playing the Yucatan Trophy the week after in Mexico ..... i hope she rests up

Anyway start of 2002 her ranking will zoom up anyway
as players who were born in 1983 will be removed
Old Dec 6th, 2001, 04:14 AM   #14
NejedlyKanepi

ah so true indeed, concerning the ranking.

hopefully, if olga has some more poor results, she will return to key biscayne and really work her problems out, unless shes like the female yevgeny and likes the match play to develp a rythm or consistency. whatever happens i really really really hope its for the best, because these results bring me great distress. A GRADE FREAKIN 3 AND SHE LOSES!!!!!!! GRRR!!!!!! especially after winning that set 6-0. i cant imagine what its like for her. just think, your killing the hoe-bag that upset, BIG UPSET, you last week. now youre killing her, oh wait, you lost the match. think of how destroyed she is right now, id be devistated. i hope shes stronger than i am.
Old Dec 7th, 2001, 07:08 PM   #15
the cat

NejedlyKanepi, I'm sure Olga is mentally strong enough to handle her tennis growing pains. She probably has had a hard life in Belarus. Also why did you call Tatiana Golovin a "hootchie"? I'm not up on the slang that today's kids use. But that sounds like an insult. I don't think of Tatiana as a hoochie. I think she is a first class girl all the way. She is just growing very fast.

Eggy, you are right about Olga Puchkova. She has played too many tournaments this year. Do you know who, or what agency is advising her? Because they need tp plan a better schedule for Olga next year. That way, she can have better and more consistent results.