Demo Racquet - questions !?!?! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #1
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute
Demo Racquet - questions !?!?!

I just got a demo racquet and I like it... but my question is, how do I know if it is the racquet or the stringing that I like?

I've been playing for about a year to 1.5 years now. I've had the same racquet for about the last .5 year. It is a Head i.S9. I chose it because I had borrowed somebody's i.S10, then I checked this table (first link below) and saw the i.S9 was better ranked and better for my joints. I got one on eBay. I had it strung in about the middle of the range with the strings one level up from the basic - I forget what type but they have some power and some control.
http://www.racquetresearch.com/2002/...urers/head.htm

Here is the i.S9
http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/....aspx?id=56744

Yesterday I decided to demo a racquet, the Yonex RQS 22. I played with it today and I really liked it. It's the top one on this page.
http://www.yonex.com/tennis/racquets/rq.html

Also here, (but I don't think mine is "long")
http://www.holabirdsports.com/cgi-bi...product=101148

BTW, I'm female, play about 4x a week just hitting or a clinic or a team practice or friendly doubles, play singles matches on weekends, will play a few doubles matches too, but I consider myself a singles player.

So, now I am wondering, is it the racquet? Or maybe it is just the strings I like? Or could it be the feel of something different? How I do figure this out? I don't think I have enough experience to know.

Or here is another question... maybe I think I like the RQS 22, but would I like a related model better? The RQS 55 for example? Or any of the others in the set?
http://espn.golfsmith.com/products/2...e03bf799374b3f
I cannot test all of the related ones.

Any advice on these questions, or about the two racquets I mentioned, is welcome.

Last edited by drake3781 : May 27th, 2008 at 03:57 AM.
drake3781 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:48 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of
Re: Demo Racquet - questions !?!?!

the rqs 22 will give you more control than the 55, due to its smaller headsize. both rackets are still fairly light, making them easy to generate power with.

do you play mainly from the baseline or from the net? as if you play a lot at the net a racket that is more evenly balanced will be more manouvrable (the 22 is more evenly balanced than the 55)
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:47 AM   #3
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazar View Post
the rqs 22 will give you more control than the 55, due to its smaller headsize. both rackets are still fairly light, making them easy to generate power with.

do you play mainly from the baseline or from the net? as if you play a lot at the net a racket that is more evenly balanced will be more manouvrable (the 22 is more evenly balanced than the 55)

Thanks for replying! I actually got the RQS 11 demo now, along with the 22, but I think I'm more set on the 22. I also tried the Head Radical mid plus today, but didn't like it.

However, I've noticed some pains in my arm, at shoulder, elbow, and wrist, after playing with the RQS 22 all last week. I had similar pains in my shouder before I got my Head i.S9. So now I'm thinking I might just drop this new racquet thing for a while, and keep using my i.S9 which has good stats for the joints. (But I'll miss that Yonex RQS 22, though.... )

What do you think about the table in the first link I posted? Where do you think that data comes from? Do you have any idea where I can get the same data for newer racquets? Right now I'm using a specific racquet because I don't have that type of data for newer racquets and for different brands besides Head.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of

the data would probably come from testing all the specs of the rackets. i dont know where you would find info like that on the current frames, but if you ask me about them i will know the answers.

maybe a reason for your joint pains with the rqs22 is that you arent used to the smaller headsize. if you are mishitting the ball a bit with it at first that will transmit more shock to your arm. there could also be issues with the strings. softer, multifilaments strings and thinner strings will be better for your arm
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
country flag drake3781

I wish you lived here and could help me! Nobody here seems to have the time to help me, or really doesn't know, or I get conflicting info. So I really appreciate your replies.

For ex, my coach says moving away from the OS to the mid-plus is a good idea for me. Also he doesn't like the i.S9 because when he tried it one time he didn't like the shape of the head.

The other coach seems completely unfamiliar with Yonex and asked why the head is square. So I didn't ask her any more questions. She was trying to leave, anyway.

Both of these were 1 minute convs because the coaches only are paid for the time coaching us and after that they are trying to leave.

The people on my team really don't know any more than I do, and the are trying to leave too.

Then I had a pro in a group lessson, and he said the OS is fine for me; Agassi used one, etc. OS or MP is not the right question to ask; I could use an OS or a mid plus. (Again 1 minute while picking up balls because the lesson was over and he had his next lesson coming.) He said to try a lot of racquets and I will just know it when I have the right racquet. That seems impossible... it's a pain to get these demos and return them on time.

Now I'm thinking of just keeping my i.S9 and maybe changing either strings or tension or both. But I don't even know how to select those. I can read about it but I don't find that very useful.

Its just hard trying to figure all this out on my own.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
country flag jazar

coaches often dont know much about rackets and strings, so if they recommend a racket its not also best to listen. but on the other hand, they will know your game better than i do, so if he says you could you use a midplus i would trust him on that. however, its all about what you are comfortable with.

when people arent too familiar with a racket like the i.S9 then it can look a little weird to them, so pay no attention to that. and yonex have a square head shape so that more of the vertical strings are the same length, giving you a larger sweetspot.

its true that agassi used an oversize, the oversize radical in fact. however, this was a heavy oversize with a head light balance. your racket is a light oversize with a head heavy balance.

demoing rackets is the best thing to do if you definitely want to buy a new one. i would never sell someone a racket without first offering them the opportunity to hit some balls with it, though i do realise this can be time consuming and awkward.

in terms of string, you racket should have a tension range printed somewhere on it and i'm guessing it will be something like 55-65lbs. if you have it restrung at the lower end of this spectrum you get more of a trampoline effect and hence more power. the higher end of this range provides more control.

choosing a string is almost as difficult as choosing a racket. there are many factors to consider. do you want power, comfort, control or durability? if you answer this question i'd be happy to recommend some different string types for you to consider
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #7
country flag drake3781

Quote:

in terms of string, you racket should have a tension range printed somewhere on it and i'm guessing it will be something like 55-65lbs. if you have it restrung at the lower end of this spectrum you get more of a trampoline effect and hence more power. the higher end of this range provides more control.

choosing a string is almost as difficult as choosing a racket. there are many factors to consider. do you want power, comfort, control or durability? if you answer this question i'd be happy to recommend some different string types for you to consider
Thanks. I will think about how to answer that question and get back to you.

For sure, I don't care about durability. That is not a problem with me.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM   #8
country flag jazar

in which case you probably shouldnt really consider the control oriented strings, as they also happen to be the main durability strings. they are polyesters and are more durable because they dont notch and give more control because they are stiff. if you are looking for control, it would be better to go for a multifilament and have it strung a bit tighter
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #9
country flag drake3781

Quote:
in which case you probably shouldnt really consider the control oriented strings, as they also happen to be the main durability strings. they are polyesters and are more durable because they dont notch and give more control because they are stiff. if you are looking for control, it would be better to go for a multifilament and have it strung a bit tighter
I went back to my i.S9 tonight and played amazing! So I'm going to keep that Yonex in mind for the future, but keep using my old green friend for now. But it was good going through this experience just to have done it. Next time, I'll be that much more knowledgeable.

Strings... so hard to talk about. I don't really know the right answers, or even questions.

Here is what I have on the tag:

String Type: sens17
String Tension: 57
Date: Apr 8, 2008

I recall those were Wilson strings, and reading on the strings, I see Sensation 17.

Looking those up, here is what I find

Wilson Sensation 17 String
Price: 7.95

Great value in a multifilament! Sensation 17 delivers a nice blend of comfort, feel and power. A good choice for players seeking an arm-friendly string with the enhanced touch and spin benefits of a thinner gauge.
  • Gauge: 17 / 1.25mm
  • Length: 40 feet / 12.2m
  • Composition: Dupont Zycro Micro fiber core surrounded by a multifilament outer wrap
  • Available colors: Natural

It does sound good from that description.

Here is how I play.
Slice backhand (2h) most of the time.
Forehand with some topspin usually, also sometimes slice.
Little volleying - few dropshots forehand - mostly groundstrokes.
Serve has a little slice on it too.
I'm female and like to hit pretty hard, but I'm not really muscular or athletic.
I make a good number of errors either into the net or long, or mishits where the ball just drops down to the ground and goes nowhere.
Opponents are not hitting super hard or with a lot of spin - they will beat me with a cleaner game, and by giving me high, deep, shots with topspin to my backhand.

This sounds silly and maybe it is, but one thing I would like is a better sound when I hit the ball. The sound now seems flat to my ear, and I would like a sharper bounce sound. There is a specific sound that I like but I don't know how to describe it, or if that is just plain silly and I shouldn't mention it.

OK, once again, thanks for paying attention to my questions.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #10
country flag jazar

wilson sensation is, i believe, wilson's best selling synthetic string. it is mainly designed to be a comfort string and as such is quite soft.

i understand what you mean about the sound. and you will be able to hear the sound you like after a fresh restring , especially if you have it strung a little tighter.

it seems to me that you maybe could do with a string that helps to open up the sweet spot a little. a slighter thinner string will help with that, and also be more playable and give more access to spin. you could maybe check out some strings such as gamma tnt, babolat xcel and pacific pmx. pretty much all string brands will make strings similar to the ones i have suggested