Videos/DVDs/match collections - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Grafiati

Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all Grafiati is a name known to all
Videos/DVDs/match collections

General Messages didn't yield a response (no surprise there), so I'll try the more intelligent crew: some questions I have about tennis collections:
A slightly different thread from "post your list of matches". I started taping matches with the intent of recording everything but, as VHS died and DVDs took over, and as I've moved, space has become an issue.
How do you manage your video collection? Do you get rid of some matches over time? Do you ever edit matches onto a new tape/DVD so that you only save "the best of"? Even if a match is historic (e.g. a Slam final), do you ever rewatch it and think "I don't want to watch this again, I should record over it or sale/trade it"? Do you ever get rid of a match and later regret it?
I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks, as I am in the process of cutting down. Also, does anyone have tips on VHS-DVD transfer? Does it matter what "sytem" you use (player) or is it more important to have a quality DVD-R? Which brand of DVD-R is recommended for a permanent collection? Does anyone put matches from VHS/DVD-computer for storage or does that take up too much storage space? Can you create "chapters" when making DVD-Rs?
Thanks for all comments .
Grafiati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Videos/DVDs/match collections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafiati View Post
General Messages didn't yield a response (no surprise there), so I'll try the more intelligent crew: some questions I have about tennis collections:
A slightly different thread from "post your list of matches". I started taping matches with the intent of recording everything but, as VHS died and DVDs took over, and as I've moved, space has become an issue.
How do you manage your video collection? Do you get rid of some matches over time? Do you ever edit matches onto a new tape/DVD so that you only save "the best of"? Even if a match is historic (e.g. a Slam final), do you ever rewatch it and think "I don't want to watch this again, I should record over it or sale/trade it"? Do you ever get rid of a match and later regret it?
I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks, as I am in the process of cutting down. Also, does anyone have tips on VHS-DVD transfer? Does it matter what "sytem" you use (player) or is it more important to have a quality DVD-R? Which brand of DVD-R is recommended for a permanent collection? Does anyone put matches from VHS/DVD-computer for storage or does that take up too much storage space? Can you create "chapters" when making DVD-Rs?
Thanks for all comments .
I have converted all of my rare and classic matches to DVD and not got rid of any of those ones and never would.

I have sent my non-copyright matches to Karen in England (see website in my signature) as she sells copies to help in her retirement. So she has several thousand matches of mine in her collection at the moment until she wants to give up. At that stage I would probably sell them in bulk to a collector who was interested as I wouldn't have the inclination to store them all in addition to all the others I have kept on DVD (thousands of those!). LOL

I bought a few Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorders and hooked them up to my VCRs to convert everything from video to DVD. No problems there. Cheers
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

I keep ones I will need access to in cases, and their numbered so I can find anything off a list. (though recently I seem to stack things, to return to later, and they disappear! bad.)

But theres plenty I dont give a hoot about, yet I find I rarely throw it out beause who knows who will have something to trade who hates everything you like...but you'll have that junky thing they really want if you save them in a 'back up' place.

plenty of ways to save space with dvds, thank goodness, that dont need special cataloguing - from the quickfix:

to the big daddy:

you can put 300+ in those, and on rare occasion you need to turn & look for it, at least they will all be clean and you know where they are. stuff it in a closet, never need think of it.

the only thing of going vhs to dvd is that its best to use a digital cable (blue) if your machines allow it. I used to think the dvd players were all about the same but recently got a toshiba 'UPCONVERTING' dvd recorder/player that shows me there is such a thing of improved quality playback after all!! But it is no big deal...after years of VHS watching, digital is digital.

Last edited by daze11 : May 9th, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
I But theres plenty I dont give a hoot about, yet I find I rarely throw it out beause who knows who will have something to trade who hates everything you like...but you'll have that junky thing they really want if you save them in a 'back up' place.
Sigh, daze11. Why do I get the feeling you were thinking of me when you talked about the junky things? Chrs!
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #5
country flag Ricksasha

Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice Ricksasha is just really nice

on your question vhs to dvd transfers, it's important
to find a dvd recorder that has "flex recording". What
it does, as an example, is if you have a match your
transferring over to dvd that is 2hrs and 5min, you
can flex record that exact time during the transfer,
and it will make the video quality look a lot better.
If you have a dvd recorder that dosent have the
flex option, you would have to use the next mode
after 2hrs, the 4 hour mode, where the quality is
no where's near as good.

"I started playing tennis when I was 4, but I didnt start playing seriously until I was 8." Kathy Rinaldi
Ricksasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #6
country flag rolandg

rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all rolandg is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I have converted all of my rare and classic matches to DVD and not got rid of any of those ones and never would.

I have sent my non-copyright matches to Karen in England (see website in my signature) as she sells copies to help in her retirement. So she has several thousand matches of mine in her collection at the moment until she wants to give up. At that stage I would probably sell them in bulk to a collector who was interested as I wouldn't have the inclination to store them all in addition to all the others I have kept on DVD (thousands of those!). LOL

I bought a few Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorders and hooked them up to my VCRs to convert everything from video to DVD. No problems there. Cheers
Hi Tennisvideos,

Just wanted to say thanks for that. I have ordered loads of dvd's from Karen in the UK, and she's terrific. I didn't realise you had provided them. I grew up wanting to be Stefan Edberg, and then Pat Rafter (pretty much anyone that ran around near the net), so it's been great catching up on old matches.

Cheers

RG
rolandg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #7
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandg View Post
Hi Tennisvideos,

Just wanted to say thanks for that. I have ordered loads of dvd's from Karen in the UK, and she's terrific. I didn't realise you had provided them. I grew up wanting to be Stefan Edberg, and then Pat Rafter (pretty much anyone that ran around near the net), so it's been great catching up on old matches.

Cheers

RG
Thanks for the message Roland. Yes Karen is a wonderful woman. I am glad you have received so much pleasure from them.

PS: Rafter has been one of my recent faves
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote