The 1930s - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:05 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
This is Diego Rivera's mural "allegory of California, at the San Francisco Stcok Exchange. Helen was the model for the "Earth Goddess"
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Helen Wills At Forest Hills-1933. She was one of the few women of her day to hit topspin off the backhand as shown here.

Wills graduated from the University of California in 1928 with a degree in fine arts. She married twice to; Frederick Moody in 1929-1937 and to Aidan Roarke in 1939. Towards the end of her tennis career in 1937, Wills published her memoirs, Fifteen-Thirty
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:18 AM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A self-caracature by Helen.

Her second husband was a film writer and international polo player.
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:24 AM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here's a profile of Helen Jacobs:

http://www.wm.edu/tenniscenter/jacobs.html

I've copied it here:

A gutsy competitor with a powerful backhand, Helen Hull Jacobs (b.1908) was the first tennis player to be voted Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year. Like her greatest rival, Helen Wills, Jacobs attended the University of California at Berkeley and worked with coaches William 'Pop' Fuller and Hazel Wightman. Mrs. Wightman called Jacobs "the most satisfying pupil I've ever taught."

Popular among playeres and fans alike, Jacob's determination and skill led her to four straight U.S. singles championships. Her last match with Wills in the 1938 Wimbledon finals showcased her fighting spirit: she refused to default despite a severe foot injury. During World War II Jacobs took courses at the College of William & Mary in preparation for training as a U.S. Navy WAVE. She attained the rank of Commander in the Naval Reserve.

Career Highlights

9 Grand Slam titles (5 Singles, 3 Doubles, 1 Mixed Doubles)

Finalist in 17 Grand Slam championship matches

Ranked in USTA Top 10 from 1927-1929, 1931-1937, 1939-1941; No.1 in 1932-1935

U.S Girls' 18 Singles Champion 1924, 1925

U.S. Singles Champion 1932-1935

U.S. Doubles Champion 1932, 1934-1935

U.S. Mixed Doubles Champion 1934

Italian Singles, Doubles Champion 1934

Wimbledon Singles Champion 1936

Seeded in the Wimbledon Top 10 from 1928-1937, 1939

U.S. Wightman Cup Team Member 1927-1937, 1939 (19-11 record)

Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year 1933

Author of 20 books of fiction and non-fiction, including Beyond the Game and Famous Modern American Women Athletes

Inducted into the University of California Athletic Hall of Fame; the College of William & Mary Athletic Hall of Fame; the Northern California Tennis Hall of Fame; and the San Francisco Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame

Inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame 1962

Recipient of thte Tennis Immortal Award from the Tennis Writers Association 1968

An early (late 1920s) pic.
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:34 AM   #20
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Wills' obituary. LOL@her comment on Navratilova

http://www.s-t.com/daily/01-98/01-03...7sp123.htm#cut

Tennis great Moody was net trail-blazer
By The Associated Press
CARMEL, Calif. -- Helen Wills Moody, the hard-hitting, poker-faced tennis star who won eight Wimbledon singles titles during the 1920s and '30s -- a record that stood for 52 years, until Martina Navratilova -- has died at 92.
Moody, who died Thursday at Carmel Convalescent Hospital, was a premier figure in America's golden era of sports, sharing newspaper headlines with the likes of Babe Ruth, football's Red Grange, boxer Jack Dempsey and golfer Bobby Jones.
She won 31 major titles, including seven U.S. Opens and four French Opens.
She hit the ball harder than anyone she faced, slamming both forehand and backhand shots the full length of the court. Her serious demeanor earned her the nickname "Little Miss Poker Face," and her trademark white eyeshade became an enduring tennis accessory.
"She never showed any expression on the court. Nobody knew what she was thinking," said Margaret Osborne duPont, a Wimbledon singles winner in 1947.
Moody won her first U.S. women's tournament in 1923 and retired after winning at Wimbledon in 1938. She was 18-2 in singles matches at the Wightman Cup, a women's team event between Britain and the United States.
In her later years she followed tennis closely, watching on television.
"She admired Martina Navratilova greatly," Los Angeles tennis historian Jeanne Cherry said. "I once asked her how she felt about Martina breaking her record, and she said, 'Well, you know, she pumps iron.'"
Navratilova won her ninth Wimbledon singles title in 1990.
Moody, a surgeon's daughter, learned the game without ever taking a lesson, picking it up from watching players at the Berkeley Tennis Club.
One year after she started playing at age 14, she won the first of her two girls national titles. She was just 17 when she won the U.S. women's singles championship -- the youngest champion at the time.
She won an Olympic gold medal in Paris in 1924. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1959 and was The Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year in 1935.
Charlie Chaplin, when asked to name the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen, once said: "The movement of Helen Wills playing tennis."
She attended the University of California at Berkeley.
Off the court, she was a recluse. Tennis great Alice Marble called her the "Greta Garbo of tennis."
Her autobiography, "15-30: The Story of a Tennis Player," was published in 1937. In the 1920s, she also wrote a tennis instruction book and a mystery, "Death Serves an Ace."
She divorced her first husband, Frederick Moody, in 1937 and married Irish polo player Aiden Roark two years later, taking the name Helen Wills Moody Roark.
She had no survivors. Her ashes will be scattered at sea. No service will be held.

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 16th, 2002 at 07:51 AM.
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Jacobs didn't retire until World War 2 started. She was only one of 5 women in the war to attain the rank of Navy commander. When she died in 1997 at age 92 her obit listed her female companion Virginia Gurnee as her survivor.

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 16th, 2002 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:49 AM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

This is Ora Washington, black tennis star of the 1930s. Because of prejudice she was never able to pit her skills against the likes of Wills or Jacobs.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:28 AM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A sports writer of the 30's did a fictionalized book on Helen! Ted Tinling called Tunis "acid-tongued", so it may be juicy. A film version was done of the book too.

"His only novel for adults, the controversial American Girl (1930), offered a fictionalized view of tennis player Helen Wills Moody as both exploited and exploiter in the world of organized amateur tennis. A film adaptation, Hard, Fast and Beautiful (1951) was directed by Ida Lupino."
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:56 AM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Wills in 1931 at Forest Hills at the height of her beauty and invincibility.

and with Jacobs

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 16th, 2002 at 09:08 AM.
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Helen must have died quite wealthy. She gave a lot of cash to the University of California-Berkely, which got her entire estate at her death.

In December 1994, Roark established an endowment for a grant-in-aid in women's tennis with a $100,000 gift to the program. Roark has also been a significant benefactor to research at the university, establishing a major endowment for support of research in the biological sciences.
Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:42 PM   #26
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Bump! Can't let this one sink
Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #27
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Another pic of Helen. She sat for photographer Dorothy Wilding for this in 1933

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:37 AM   #28
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1938 was the last time Jacobs and Wills ever played or saw one another. Jacobs was injured but refused to quit as Wills had in 1933 despite Hazel Wightman urging her to default rather than risk permanent injury.

A brief report of the match:

July 2
Tennis
1938: In the battle of the antagonistic Helens, Wills Moody takes advantage of an injury to her arch-rival Jacobs and wins Wimbledon for an unprecedented eighth time.

The score is tied at 4-4 in the first set when Jacobs, serving at 40-30, strains her right Achilles tendon in a vain attempt to volley Moody's passing shot. Jacobs, who first injured the ankle in the semifinals, doesn't win another game, with the second set lasting a mere eight minutes, as Moody registers a 6-4, 6-0 victory.

The two do not exchange a single smile or remark from the time they take the court until Moody runs up to shake hands with her defeated rival. "Too bad, Helen," Moody says after beating her for the 11th time in their 12 matches.

After emerging from her dressing room, Moody is serenely cool and happy. "I was very sorry about Helen's ankle," she says, "but it couldn't be helped, could it? I thought there was nothing I could do but get it over as quickly as possible."
Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #29
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo
I thought there was nothing I could do but get it over as quickly as possible."
LOL! Thanks Rollo
Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:39 AM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

A small glam pic of Helen

Designer Ted Tinling said of her: "With the exception of Great Garbo, I have sen all the best-looking women in the world face-to-face and in the beauty stakes, Helen Wills was very definitely in the top league. ...She had a flawless complextion. ..she had the Marlene Dietrich technique of fixing her beautiful eyes with sudden intensity at the exact climax of a conversation...

Wills was certainly the Garbo of tennis, always wanting to be alone and away from her fellow competitors.."

"Her personality was often considered remote and unfriendly so there were inevitably people who envied or dislied her. And these same people, led by Bill Tilden and Molla Mallory, went to great lengths to show there admiration and affection for Jacobs."

more to follow from Ted ----

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 16th, 2002 at 09:48 AM.