General Aussie Tennis News - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 25th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #46
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Aussie Tennis News and Updates

^^^ Sure

THE BIG ISSUES

After hearing Tennis Australia is no longer selling the magazine at Melbourne Park, I would just like to commend the Australian Tennis Magazine team. These are serious issues which must be addressed. And what better way to address player development than in one of the nation's leading sports publications which offers an impartial and unbiased view of player development in this country. So, congratulations to the Australian Tennis Magazine team for tackling the big issues in our sport today and providing readers with a good, factual account of the real story. I, like many of your readers, will be closely following these stories.

Also, undoubtedly Geoff Pollard has done a great job for tennis in the country over the last few decades, but many feel that now is the right time for change. Paul McNamee has the experience and the know-how to turn around our dwindling tennis fortunes, and I really hope that Tennis Australia takes full notice of both the media and the public when the board elections are held in October. Now is the time for action! And Mr McNamee seems the best candidate to lead the revival of Australia tennis.

Admittedly, I wrote this before Paul McNamee announced he is not interested in standing for the TA Board, but rather for President of the ATP Tour. Thus it seems Pollard will be President (as he hoped for) for another two years, when he says he will retire...hmmmm
I doubt anyone else will have the guts to stand up and go for the top job. If, as has been made clear, TA is run by the 'old boy's club,' no one will dare call for change within TA.
There were lots of letters to the editor about this, and it makes for interesting reading
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #47
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Zack, Pollard has already had his time at the Top of the TA Tree so we definitely need a change. Haven't been getting the magazine lately like I would usually do so its good of you to post this info here

And which monthly edition was your letter posted in?
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #48
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

Good on you Zac. Maybe Pat Cash can apply for the top job and watch the fur fly then. He would ruffle some feathers!
scottsue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM   #49
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Aussie Tennis News - Fed Cup Tie for Perth!!

^^^
That would be interesting!

More good news for tennis fans in WA,

Perth has won the right to host another major international tennis event next year.
The International Tennis Federation has chosen the State Tennis Centre in Burswood as the official site for the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I & II Fed Cup by BNP Paribas round robin, from 4 to 7 February 2009.
Paul Smith, Executive Director Davis Cup and Fed Cup said, “The ITF is pleased to have selected Perth as the venue for the 2009 Asia/Oceania Zone Groups I and II event and look forward to working with our colleagues at Tennis Australia. The event always attracts all the leading names within the region, especially as nations competing in Zone Group I bid for a place in the World Group II Play-offs."
Fed Cup by BNP Paribas is the women’s equivalent of Davis Cup by BNP Paribas.
Tennis Australia’s Manager – Major Events, Steve Ayles, said at the announcement today in Perth, “The decision is great for the City of Perth and could mean that, selection permitting, Casey Dellacqua and Jess Moore play for their country in front of a home crowd. “
The event will showcase the top female players from 16 Asia–Pacific countries and will be the first time the Group I and Group II zonals have been played in Australia.
Australia will compete in Group I against Chinese Taipei, India, Indonesia, Korea, New Zealand, Thailand and Uzbekistan.
While Group II will be finalised closer to the tie date, the current countries listed are: Hong Kong China, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pacific Oceania, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Syria and Turkmenistan.
“The tie will include up to 24 matches a day over the four-day tournament, and will provide a spectacular opportunity for Western Australian tennis fans, as well as interstate and international fans, to see some great women’s tennis including a strongly fancied Australian team,” said Steve Ayles.
Victory would give the Australians a chance to climb out of the zonals and into the Fed Cup’s top 16 teams.
Optus Australian Fed Cup Captain David Taylor said, "It will be great for our Optus Australian Fed Cup team to have the chance to play in front of an enthusiastic home crowd in Perth. When you are representing your country, that extra support can really make a difference."
“The girls will put on an excellent show as they will really want to win in order to make it to the World Group II Playoffs.”
“The team was really unlucky last year; we were struck down by injuries to leading players at a time when it looked like we had a fantastic chance of breaking back into the World Group II pool. “
The return from illness of Samantha Stosur, currently 61 in the world, should create a pleasant selection dilemma for Taylor and Optus Australian Fed Cup coach Nicole Bradtke.
Sport and Recreation Minister, Terry Waldron, said the announcement recognised Western Australia’s ability to host major events.
“This is a great opportunity for Western Australians to get involved and promote one of the iconic sports in Australia and more importantly promote and highlight women’s sport,” he said.
City of Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi, said “the event will be fantastic for the City of Perth, and further highlights the City’s status as one of the major sporting capitals of Australia.
“West Australians love their sport and the state has produced some great tennis players including Australia’s highest ranked player, Casey Dellacqua.”
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM   #50
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

That's great newsfor Perth Also, good letter Zack

I also almost forgot to mention this until I seen this thread so here it goes...

I read in the Courier Mail this morning that day passes for the Brisbane International for $9.90 I'm so going to this now! Ivanovic, Tsonga, Gasquet + Aussies all for less tha 10 bucks It's going to be awesome!
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #51
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

good its in australia...

they day melbourne gets to host a fed cup tie will be amazing... been so bloody long its a joke.
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM   #52
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radekleroad View Post

I read in the Courier Mail this morning that day passes for the Brisbane International for $9.90 I'm so going to this now! Ivanovic, Tsonga, Gasquet + Aussies all for less tha 10 bucks It's going to be awesome!
Wow but does that incl. Centre Court? what a price. Thanks

And Perth hosting the Fed Cup Asia.Oceania zonals will be of a good advantage to our girls especially Jess & Casey.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #53
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
good its in australia...

they day melbourne gets to host a fed cup tie will be amazing... been so bloody long its a joke.
I was actually at that tie 1988 (I think) when 32 countires came together for a week at Flinders Park. The stadiums were 1/4 full because Graf, Sabatini pulled out
Anne Minter lost to Claudia Kodhe Kilsch in the qtrs, (Provis got beat in the 1st rubber) after leading 6-1 3-1 and points for 4-1. Had to throw that in - haven't gotten over that loss yet
Maybe they think that Melbourne has the AO, then its enough.
Perth!!! Might be time to finally visit there That site doesn't hold great memories either. Didn't Rachel McQuillan lose a tie for us there, 12-10 (or something) in the 3rd against some 16 y/o Russian who hasn't been heard of again
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM   #54
country flag OZTENNIS

^^^
Yeah that's right
In 1998, we lost to a 'B-Grade Russian outfit' (as Australian Tennis Magazine put it). Dokic then got called into the squad for a tie vs. Argentina later in the year and wiped the floor

If they think that about Melbourne and the Aussie Open, it doesn't explain why Melbourne has had more than its fair share of Davis Cup ties, of which many were SF/F
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM   #55
country flag Привет

Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute Привет has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to check for your letter then. Because it was last on the page, I didn't actually read it when I read most of the others. I don't normally enjoy reading the letters to the editor. I just picture the people to be grumpy old men, and the letters are normally bitching about players I seem to like anyway.

What did you mean in the first sentence, by the way? What magazine was that?
Привет is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #56
country flag ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
I was actually at that tie 1988 (I think) when 32 countires came together for a week at Flinders Park. The stadiums were 1/4 full because Graf, Sabatini pulled out
Anne Minter lost to Claudia Kodhe Kilsch in the qtrs, (Provis got beat in the 1st rubber) after leading 6-1 3-1 and points for 4-1. Had to throw that in - haven't gotten over that loss yet
Maybe they think that Melbourne has the AO, then its enough.
Perth!!! Might be time to finally visit there That site doesn't hold great memories either. Didn't Rachel McQuillan lose a tie for us there, 12-10 (or something) in the 3rd against some 16 y/o Russian who hasn't been heard of again

Yeah come on over louloubelle!!........BTW that tie was at Kings Park on Grass....or what they call grass....they think they have the best grass in WA but its not flash....imo never has been!! Haha Ekaterina Syssoeva is a name that comes to mind from that tie.......can't remember the others.....i remember anna k was meant to play and then pulled out and everyone expected australia to roll them 5-0!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
^^^
Yeah that's right
In 1998, we lost to a 'B-Grade Russian outfit' (as Australian Tennis Magazine put it). Dokic then got called into the squad for a tie vs. Argentina later in the year and wiped the floor

If they think that about Melbourne and the Aussie Open, it doesn't explain why Melbourne has had more than its fair share of Davis Cup ties, of which many were SF/F

Aghhh good times with Jelena!! I remember that....she smacked Diaz Oliva??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg017 View Post
Wow but does that incl. Centre Court? what a price. Thanks

And Perth hosting the Fed Cup Asia.Oceania zonals will be of a good advantage to our girls especially Jess & Casey.

Yep i would hope the STC will be packed to watch the Aussies........you can get so close to the courts its ridiculous.....great chance to watch matches close up!!
|
And all the other aussie girls
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #57
country flag Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfan44 View Post
Yep i would hope the STC will be packed to watch the Aussies........you can get so close to the courts its ridiculous.....great chance to watch matches close up!!
Oh I agree. Can't wait
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM   #58
country flag Sammy 4 eva!!!
GA GA OOH LA LA.

Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to break it to you guys but 9.90 doesnt get you on center court

◊ Casey Dellacqua ◊ Olivia Rogowska ◊ Monika Wejnert ◊ Jelena Dokic ◊
◊ Laura Robson ◊ Sabine Lisicki ◊ Timea Bacsinszky ◊ Dinara Safina ◊
Sammy 4 eva!!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:25 PM   #59
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

Well what does it get you? Everything else?

And how much to get on center court?
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 02:16 AM   #60
country flag Ben.

Centre Court ticket prices start at $24.90.