General Aussie Tennis News - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #31
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Queensland State Tennis Centre

Awesome news for Brisbane International and tennis fans in QLD
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #32
country flag Lyndle_BE

Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of Lyndle_BE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post

Awesome news for Brisbane International and tennis fans in QLD
Cool Wonder who else is goin to enter?
Lyndle_BE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #33
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

That is some great news

I'am definitely going to the tournament now that I have heard this news
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM   #34
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

According to the September edition of Australian Tennis Magazine another new tennis centre is being constructed at the Griffith University - Mount Gravatt Campus. The new centre will offer 12 plexicushion courts, which is the same surface being installed at the Queensland State Tennis Centre and the same surface used for the Australian Open.
The George Alder Tennis Centre in Ipswich is being developed with 12 European style claycourts which will be the same surface as the claycourts being installed at the Queensland State Tennis Centre.
The Shaw Park Tennis Centre (which opened in July, 2008) offers 10 fully lit acrylic hardcourts and according to Australian Tennis Magazine, this 'is the biggest tennis centre built in Brisbane in 25 years.'' Obviously that is before the official opening of the new Queensland State Tennis Centre.

These new initiatives are thanks largely to the Brisbane City Council's 'Moving from the Baseline'' strategy with assistance from TA and TQ. Apparently several more tennis centres will be opened in Brisbane over the coming years.

-------
Good signs
Be good if they renovated the University of Queensland Tennis Centre too.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #35
country flag OZTENNIS

Re: General Aussie Tennis News and Updates

Mantilla joins Australian coaching ranksMelbourne, 18 September 2008
Tennis Australia
Felix Mantilla competes in the ATP Masters Series event in Monte Carlo.
Getty Images
Tennis Australia has bolstered its clay-court coaching expertise in dramatic fashion hiring former world top ten Spaniard Felix Mantilla.
The organisation is not stopping its Spanish lesson there, also announcing the addition of a Barcelona-based clay court facility to its Canberra and London training bases for elite Australian athletes.
The Spanish approach to tennis is one of the most respected in the sport yielding 21 current top 100 players in the world, including an amazing presence in the men with eight in the top 50, five of those in the top 20, two of those in the top five headed up by the incredible Rafael Nadal. The Spanish women have just finished runner-up in the Fed Cup.
"For a couple of years now we have been ramping up our use of clay courts, clay court techniques and knowledge as major training tools for our developing players," Tennis Australia Director of Tennis Craig Tiley said today.

"It is fair to say that this announcement is another great step for our player development program."
"The expertise Felix will bring to our players will be world class. This is no part time hobby for him. He has given an unequivocal, unconditional full time commitment and will travel with several of our top younger players."
Since finishing his playing career Mantilla has already forged an impressive reputation among the international coaching fraternity for his work with some of the top Spanish juniors.
The Spaniard is himself a product of his nation’s prolific junior development system.

He was an outstanding clay-courter who made the semifinals of the French Open and won 10 tour titles in an injury-curtailed career. Mantilla will be based in Barcelona and is passionate about joining Tennis Australia.
"I wanted the job as it was a full-time position and I know that's what it takes to develop a young player. It won't be easy with the level of commitment required with regards to travel and time on court but I am ready for that challenge," he said today.
"After talking to Craig Tiley and Brent Larkham [AIS Pro Tour Program head coach] I am convinced Tennis Australia has an excellent and highly-professional program which will ensure success."

"I am extremely grateful to them for wanting me to be a part of it."
Mantilla will be primarily based at the new training facility in Barcelona and will start next week in the AIS Pro Tour Program under head coach Brent Larkham.
Understandably he is a strong advocate for developing young tennis talent on clay.

"The clay court ensures more consistency in your game and helps develop mental and physical strength," he said.
"You have to be stronger mentally because the points are longer and you must be more patient to finish the point. The physical benefit is in the stamina it provides for the big tournaments like the Australian Open and other Grand Slams."
"The good thing about practicing on a clay court, is that, everything you learn can also help you on faster courts and help you change strategies mid match if need be," Mantilla said.
"I am looking forward with passion and optimism to starting a new chapter in my life developing Australian youngsters into top tennis players."
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #36
country flag OZTENNIS

Djokovic and Tsonga Brisbane bound
Brisbane, 17 September 2008
Tennis Australia
Novak Djokovic plays a return during his triumphant 2008 Australian Open campaign.
Getty Images
Brisbane International organisers today announced a massive recruiting coup with the signing of Australian Open 2008 champion and world number three, Novak Djokovic from Serbia.
The new tournament could even produce a repeat of the Open final, having also secured the signature of runner up, Frenchman Jo Wilfried Tsonga.
The pair join former world No.1 and reigning French Open women’s champion Ana Ivanovic at what is shaping up as a star-studded inaugural event.
The brilliant Djokovic will use the event as a key component in the preparation for his Grand Slam title defence.
“It is the perfect way to begin my Australian campaign. I have heard great things about Brisbane but never had the opportunity to visit,” Djokovic said.
“I am excited to be coming to a new event in a sensational new stadium. It is going to be great to renew my acquaintance with the very supporting Australian tennis fans.”
Tsonga will also be returning to Australia with high expectations after his sensational run to the final of this year’s Open.
“Naturally I have fond memories of the blue Australian courts and they tell me the Brisbane surface is exactly the same as the Open,” Tsonga said.
“There is already a lot of talk on the tour about this new event in Brisbane and this terrific new venue.
“I look forward to getting down there and trying to win the first event of the year,” he said.
Brisbane International Tournament Director Steve Ayles said it was no fluke the event would be showcasing two of the most watchable players on the tour.
“We really wanted these two. They ignite crowds all over the world. As well as being supremely gifted, they play the game with athleticism, flair and personality,” Ayles said.

Visit the Brisbane International website
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #37
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

All this news does sound quite promising. Glad that they're going to construct clay courts that are the same style as European clay courts, it'll really benefit those Aussie players who struggle on clay. But it's up to them to put in the effort.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #38
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

That Brisbane tournament is looking like it will have a decent lineup on both sides of the draw.

Mantilla is a good pickup, hopefully it works.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #39
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Good move to establish a base in Spain - central, good weather and allows players to develop clay court skills.
Sergio Casal and Emilio Sanchez have made a name for themselves in the coaching circles, hopefully Felix is of the same ilk.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #40
country flag OZTENNIS

A letter I wrote to Australian Tennis Magazine got published in the 'letters to the editor' section

They have done some good pieces on player development and the need for change in the last few editions
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #41
country flag OZTENNIS

And here are some more pictures of the Queensland Tennis Centre...
These ones are about a month old so even more has been done since then

I'm loving the look of Centre Court Hope they put a CityCat terminal in too
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #42
country flag SeanyQ

SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future

It's such an awesome centre. Makes Royal Pines look like total pig shit! Good riddance to ****y old Liz Smylie too!!
Thanks for posting the pics mate.
SeanyQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #43
country flag stockade

stockade is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they have done some good articles lately. We do need change. I was just reading the latest mag. Read where the TA board is up for re-election. Lets hope thers some overhauling
stockade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #44
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyQ View Post
It's such an awesome centre. Makes Royal Pines look like total pig shit! Good riddance to ****y old Liz Smylie too!!
Thanks for posting the pics mate.
You are too funny Sean! I love the Liz Smylie adjective!
scottsue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #45
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyQ View Post

OzTennis, any chance you could post your letter on here?
TS is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote