Justine and Serena's underestimation cost either one the tournament - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1
country flag Wannabeknowitall

Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute
Justine and Serena's underestimation cost either one the tournament

I really don't feel there's anything wrong with Justine besides getting caught yet again looking ahead as she did at Wimbledon last year.
She knew playing against Serena could be the match that could forecast where the rest of her year is going.

She didn't focus fully on Safina whose a dangerous player on clay.

Serena expected to play Justine in the quarters and she got Safina.
She assumed it would be a romp in the park like it was last year at RG.
Bad assumption.

I'm not trying to insult Safina but everytime she's beaten a top player on clay, Sharapova, Justine, Serena, she's had to comeback to do it.
Which to me says that these top players have lost focus for whatever reason and given Safina a chance to establish herself in the match.
It's not like she has a plan B. She hits the same heavy ball pretty much all the time.
If it's going in, you can still find a way to beat her.

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.

Last edited by Wannabeknowitall : May 9th, 2008 at 07:28 PM.
Wannabeknowitall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
country flag Shoulderpova
Team WTAworld

Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute Shoulderpova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Justine and Serena's underestimation cost either one the tournament

Justine probably but after watching how Safina bounced Justine, I don't think Serena would underestimate her. Dinara was the better player today. She won fair and square. Period!
Shoulderpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #3
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Jankovic's underestimation cost her also.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #4
country flag Russianboy

Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute Russianboy has a reputation beyond repute

they just lost to a better player cuz neither reached safina's level. period.
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
country flag Bruno71

Bruno71 has disabled reputation

I don't know if anyone underestimated anyone. Justine's lacking confidence and Serena is always more vulnerable on red clay. Safina can be quite a good player, and even more so on red clay. When her balls go in, she's a tough player for anyone to beat. However, I do think anyone who wins a first set against someone else may think that they've got the upper hand and relax too much, thus letting the opponent back in it, so in that sense I agree.
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #6

Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by away View Post
Justine probably but after watching how Safina bounced Justine, I don't think Serena would underestimate her. Dinara was the better player today. She won fair and square. Period!
I didn't say she immediately underestimated Safina after her match with Justine.
She might have after the first set though.
Serena sometimes does look bored out there and as I've said before Safina hits the same heavy ball.
After a while you just see beating Safina as an inevitable task.

I think the best lithmus test is to see what happens when they play again.
Both Justine and Serena hate losing to a player back to back.

IMO, Justine showed that her lost to Bartoli was a fluke.

And I have no doubt that both will kick Safina's ass, the next time they play her.

Old May 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #7
country flag starin

starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute

I think Serena is just erratic sometimes. She was winning a lot of matches and today her level just dropped and Safina was playing well enough to take advantage. I'm just glad this happened here and not at RG.
starin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #8
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have got it spot on really. Espiecally in Serena's case. She lost focus today!
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #9
country flag Mileen

Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have a point.

* Patty Schnyder * Dinara Safina * Elena Dementieva * Vika Azarenka * Katarina Srebotnik * Dominica Cibulkova * Ashley Harkleroad * Sabine Lisicki * Nicole Vaidisova * Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova * Sesil Karatantcheva *
Mileen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #10
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

I think you, Wannabeknowitall, are yourself underestimating both Henin's and Serena Williams's professionalism. They both simply lost to a player who was better on the day.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCHorse View Post
I think you, Wannabeknowitall, are yourself underestimating both Henin's and Serena Williams's professionalism. They both simply lost to a player who was better on the day.
That's funny.
We're talking about Serena right?
The Serena who rarely gives anyone credit.
Serena who called Justine's shot lucky at one point.

I love Serena but claiming that she's professional from the definition you're given is laughable.

Old May 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #12
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Federer underestimated radek too, clay usually has the biggest no. of upsets anyway. And as for serena going walkabouts mentally, she does that alot, rememeber her favourite surface and tourny-miami final
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennnisfannn View Post
I guess Federer underestimated radek too, clay usually has the biggest no. of upsets anyway. And as for serena going walkabouts mentally, she does that alot, rememeber her favourite surface and tourny-miami final
No. His draw was tough.

How was he suppose to know that Stephanek actually plays great the more he fucks Nicole compared to the awful play he had while fucking Hingis.

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #14
country flag frontier

frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
No. His draw was tough.

How was he suppose to know that Stephanek actually plays great the more he fucks Nicole compared to the awful play he had while fucking Hingis.
frontier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #15
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think it's just clay. It seems that every year during clay season, you have some player from out of no where take some pretty big scalps during a tournament or two and then fade back into oblivion. I didn't watch Serena's match today so its hard to say what the issue was, but I think a loss like this will shock Serena to dig deeper in Rome and in Paris and to not take any player regardless of their rank or resume for granted. Henin on the other had, I think it's time to push the panic button. The loss in Berlin and her withdrawl from Rome all but says that something is wrong in that camp.
spartanfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote