Is the number 1 ranking a curse? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute
Is the number 1 ranking a curse?

Hey folks

Just wondered what you thought. In the last few years there has been a trend that as soon as a player establishes herself as no 1, she then seems to go into some sort of decline, often injury related eg

2002-3 Serena - had her Serena slam, but by the end of 2003 she was out with injury. Has won some slams since but has never been as dominant, nor has she ever regained the ranking
2003-4 Justine replaced Serena by winning three grand slams but then got her virus which caused her to be out of the game and a drop in the rankings.
2004-5 Lindsay Davenport ruled the roost but was never able to justify her ranking in the slams as she crumbled in all the key matches.
2006 Mauresmo wins two slams but then her form and ranking have since collapsed.
2007 Henin justifiably reclaims the top ranking with two slams and a WTA champs but something is seriously wrong in 2008 as she displays her worst performances since the days of the virus.
Clijsters and Sharapova have also had spots on the top but again their form seemed to crumble as soon as they reached the peak.
StephenUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2
country flag Meteor Shower

Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the number 1 ranking a curse?

Didn't Justine and Serena were at the top for like 100 weeks straight?
That fact alone invalidates your point.

******** Survivor
Meteor Shower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #3
country flag mal

mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold mal is a splendid one to behold

Who want to challenge to be number two? Where is the glory in that? personally I feel it is a lot tougher being the number one player because you have to take on everyone, including those who have no show, but still think you are the one to beat. If fact there is no reason for a fit person to get ill, unless they are overworking and not getting enough rest, but who wants just to work all the time and not enjoy the fruits of their success? I'd put it down to excessive partying, where you get all those viruses and such, not the stress of being the champion per se.
mal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

even the no. 2, 3, 4, 11 etc ranked player slumps. look at myskina won the FO, reached no. 2 only to fade, vera Zvonerava reached the top 10 then fell out of sight, look at what is happening to vaidisosa, every one struggles, it is only a bigger deal when you are ranked no. 1
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennnisfannn View Post
even the no. 2, 3, 4, 11 etc ranked player slumps. look at myskina won the FO, reached no. 2 only to fade, vera Zvonerava reached the top 10 then fell out of sight, look at what is happening to vaidisosa, every one struggles, it is only a bigger deal when you are ranked no. 1
Agreed and no one notices at all if a player ranked 77 slumps to 111.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #6
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

Well, I think Justine was very cosistent for years! Her loss against Maria in Australia was her first since Wimbledon!

The same with Zvonareva: She had a lot of injury problems but in the end her results have been quite concistent.

But there are others like Sprem, Lucic, Dokic, Stevenson etc. How is it possible that a former world#4 (Dokic) is not able to win matches on future-level??
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #7
country flag StephenUK

StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute StephenUK has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I am contrasting 21st century no 1s with much longer reigns in the 80s and 90s when the likes of Navratilova, Evert, Graf and even Seles were able to sustain a dominance for some years, it does just not seem possible now.
StephenUK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #8
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

I think it is. But you just don't have players like Navratilova or Graf every decade. But look on the men's tour: Federer is more dominating than anybody else before.
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #9
country flag densuprun

densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future densuprun has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenUK View Post
Is the number 1 ranking a curse?

Just wondered what you thought. In the last few years there has been a trend that as soon as a player establishes herself as no 1, she then seems to go into some sort of decline, often injury related.
Is life a curse?

Just wondered what you thought. In the last million years there has been a trend that as soon as a human being comes to life, she then seems to go into some sort of decline, always resulting in death.

Last edited by densuprun : May 9th, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
densuprun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #10
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad Serena left her #1 ranking with more grace than Justine is effectively doing! Winning wimby
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote