Now 22,000 and believed up to 50,000 Killed in Cyclone in Myanmar (Burma) :eek: - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #1
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute
Now 22,000 and believed up to 50,000 Killed in Cyclone in Myanmar (Burma) :eek:

I cannot begin to imagine this.

Cyclone in Myanmar kills at least 15,000

YANGON, Myanmar, May 5 (UPI) -- The death toll from the cyclone that slashed through Myanmar has soared to more than 15,000 people, official sources said late Monday.

Sources said casualties from Cyclone Nargis are expected to reach at least 10,000 in the city of Bogalay alone, with another 1,000 dead in the city of Laputta, both in the country's Irrawaddy delta region, Xinhua reported.

The state-run Chinese news agency also cited government sources saying at least 20,000 homes had been destroyed on Haing Kyi island in the river delta, leaving more than 97,000 people without shelter.

The Myanmar government also said thousands more were injured and missing in the aftermath of the storm, which slogged through Yangon and the Irrawaddy delta packing dangerous rains and winds of more than 130 miles per hour, Radio New Zealand reported Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Nyan Win said the government would accept international assistance, and aid shipments were being prepared.

The United Nations says Myanmar's military government agreed to allow U.N. aid agencies to operate in the country formerly known as Burma to help survivors.

"The U.N. will begin preparing assistance now to be delivered and transported to Myanmar as quickly as possible," said Paul Risley of the World Food Program.

==================

Is Thailand the closest location of members to this board? (Nobody from Myanmar?) Assuming people in Myanmar had internet access, would "surfing" be allowed under the military government? Anybody know (Thai people or others)?

Last edited by drake3781 : May 6th, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
drake3781 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #2
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15,000 or more Killed in Cyclone in Myanmar (Burma) :eek:

Nice mention of Radio New Zealand there
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #3
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute

My parents just flew back to Myanmar yesterday to help. I hope they could at least get into the country and not get rerouted.
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #4
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian KC View Post
My parents just flew back to Myanmar yesterday to help. I hope they could at least get into the country and not get rerouted.

Say more? Were they there before the cyclone? Or they are from Myanmar?

How do they think they can help? Are they aid workers?
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #5
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute

They flew back after the cyclone hit. We're from Myanmar, they flew back to help out our families that might need aid.
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #6
country flag Wannabeknowitall

Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda do feel bad but there's a reason I really don't.

The Myanmar government also said thousands more were injured and missing in the aftermath of the storm, which slogged through Yangon and the Irrawaddy delta packing dangerous rains and winds of more than 130 miles per hour, Radio New Zealand reported Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Nyan Win said the government would accept international assistance, and aid shipments were being prepared.

The United Nations says Myanmar's military government agreed to allow U.N. aid agencies to operate in the country formerly known as Burma to help survivors.

"The U.N. will begin preparing assistance now to be delivered and transported to Myanmar as quickly as possible," said Paul Risley of the World Food Program.

The possibility of this happening in Myanmar was incredibly high and the military government knew about this for years.
Myanmar is a country where almost a good portion of the 55 million people who live there live below sea lavel.
It's basically a big delta.
Think New Orleans without levees.

The first thing I can recall when Katrina happened was thinking please let some country that is predominately under sea level learn from our mistake.

They didn't and they're lucky because if the tsunami that happened a few years ogo hit Burma head on, just in that one country you would have hundreds of thousand of people dieing.

If something isn't done now, a 1/3 of Myanmar will be under water by the end of this century due to global warming.
Don't just let us in every time there's a fucking catastrophe there.

Help us to prevent the catastrophe from happening.

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #7
galadriel

galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute galadriel has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #8
country flag mariahdg

mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3781 View Post

==================

Is Thailand the closest location of members to this board? (Nobody from Myanmar?) Assuming people in Myanmar had internet access, would "surfing" be allowed under the military government? Anybody know (Thai people or others)?
dumb post.

you should ask to the North Korean
mariahdg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #9
country flag rockstar

rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute rockstar has a reputation beyond repute

wow, i heard about it in the news to day, but i didnt know the deathtoll was this high

JELENA JANKOVIC - CAROLINE WOZNIACKI
rockstar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #10
country flag ZeroSOFInfinity
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.

ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute

Psss... it's 22,000 now.... and still climbing...

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #11
country flag mariahdg

mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future mariahdg has a brilliant future

Myanmar government refuses assistance of USA
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #12
country flag BigB08822

BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute BigB08822 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafan View Post
Myanmar government refuses assistance of USA
That is ridiculous but whatever, sometimes you have to swallow your pride.
BigB08822 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #13
country flag drake3781

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...562F1DF86F.htm

Look at these satellite pictures. Very interesting.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #14
country flag mariahdg

drake3781
If you are talking about Burma's cyclone,
why must add the 'military government' after it. what's information you want to give us?

congrats you are qualified for CNN.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #15
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafan View Post
drake3781
If you are talking about Burma's cyclone,
why must add the 'military government' after it. what's information you want to give us?

congrats you are qualified for CNN.
Are you like a fan of military dictators or something?