Alexis King Cheering Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #1
country flag Lee-Waters

Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of Lee-Waters has much to be proud of
Cool Alexis King Cheering Thread

The new kid on the block who wiped her way through to the Charlottesville 50k Final and won! She is now inside the top 400, good luck Alexis!

Alexis Gordon
31/03/1983
USA
I am pretty sure she is left handed too

Last edited by Lee-Waters : May 5th, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
Lee-Waters is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #2
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alexis Gordon Cheering Thread

Longshot Gordon takes Tinsley over Puchkova for first-ever title

By WHITEY REID
Published: May 5, 2008

Ever since Alexis Gordon turned pro in January, she and her coach/boyfriend Michael King have had one goal in mind.

They want to fill what they say is a “gap” in American’s women’s tennis.

On Sunday afternoon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club, Gordon took a huge first step. The former University of Florida standout, who came into the tournament unseeded and ranked 637th in the world, won her first-ever pro event, defeating Olga Puchkova, 6-3, 6-3 in the finals of the Boyd Tinsley USTA Women’s Pro Tennis Championships.

“It’s like a dream,” said Gordon, who only turned pro in January and was playing in just her eighth tournament. “I woke up this morning and said, ‘Wow, I’m in the finals.’ Even now, I’m still stunned. It hasn’t hit me that I won yet.”

Puchkova had a far different feeling when she woke up on Sunday morning.
“I knew right away that something was [off]. I was too tired from the [semifinal] match because we played so long,” said Puchkova, referring to her hard-fought three-set win over Bethanie Mattek on Saturday. “Alexis started off really fast and strong. I was sleepy today, but she’s a great player.”

With the victory over the second-seeded, 124th ranked Puchkova, Gordon moved all the way up to 375th in the world. In addition, she earned an automatic entry into the main draw of next week’s tour stop.

Currently in American tennis, Venus Williams is No. 8 in the world, while Lindsay Davenport is No. 25. Gordon and King’s goal: to land somewhere between them, “filling the gap.”

“We just put that out there,” said King, smiling, “and we’re trying to move toward it.”
But why stop there?

During the post match award presentation, USTA tournament supervisor Missy Malool told the large crowd at the Boar’s Head that she fully expects to see Gordon become a Top-5 player.

Malool believes Gordon is just as talented as some of the past big names who have rolled through Charlottesville to play in the event — namely Anna Kournikova and Jelana Jankovic.

“That makes me feel good,” Gordon said, “but I’m just trying to take everything in stride and step by step.”

Against Puchkova, Gordon’s biggest strength was her consistency. She kept the ball in play on numerous points, forcing Puchkova into mistakes.

The turning point of the match came with Puchkova serving at 3-4 in the first set. Puchkova, who was playing with a heavy heart — her father is in the hospital — had several chances to win the game.
Unfortunately, her serve betrayed her.
The 20-year-old Russian double-faulted four times. Gordon won the game, then held serve and took the first set.

Puchkova showed some fight in the second set. Trailing 3-1, she pulled to 3-3 after breaking Gordon’s serve. However, Gordon took over from there.

“My serve was off on a lot of the big points,” Puchkova said. “I didn’t finish games that I should have finished. That was it pretty much.”

Gordon’s strategy was to play consistent and keep the ball out of Puchkova’s “strike zone.”

“She has a huge forehand and huge backhand,” Gordon said. “She likes to slam the ball. Just keeping it on the court and out of the middle were the keys.
“I was just trying to stay focused. I was just trying to move the ball around, keep everything in perspective and not let the lead slip away.”

Gordon never seemed to tire during the match and was extremely efficient in her movements — she didn’t waste a lot of energy. The 25-year-old, who took over a year off while in college following the birth of her daughter, credits King for that.

King, a former hurdler at Florida, devised a system of workouts for Gordon that are starting to pay big dividends.

“Coming into it, I knew I had an athlete slash tennis player,” King said. “When I recognized that, I said, ‘Well I can teach her a lot of stuff that I learned.
“She ate it up. She loved it and wanted to start waking up at 7 [a.m.] every morning to work out at the track.”

Gordon says she may try to qualify for Wimbledon and the U.S. Open this summer. She says she is definitely targeting the Australian Open in January as a place to make a big move.
It certainly sounds like she’s well on her way to filling that gap.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/spo...r_title/21351/
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #3
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future

I wonder what's happened to her? She hasn't played since S'Hertogenbosch.
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #4
country flag Kevin.
Team USA ♥

Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she is injured or has to care for her daughter??

Also that trip to the Netherlands is ALOT of money?
Doubles: Rank-15; Career High-12. Career Record: 108-114; Best Results: Winner: 2012-Wimbledon w/Kylger, 50k Lexington w/Kylger, 2011-Luxembourg w/drake1980;Finalist: 2012-San Diego w/Kylger, Moscow w/Kylger

Follow me on twitter!: www.twitter.com/kevintdillon
Kevin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 07:29 PM   #5
country flag Kevin.
Team USA ♥

Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute Kevin. has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone have any news???????
Doubles: Rank-15; Career High-12. Career Record: 108-114; Best Results: Winner: 2012-Wimbledon w/Kylger, 50k Lexington w/Kylger, 2011-Luxembourg w/drake1980;Finalist: 2012-San Diego w/Kylger, Moscow w/Kylger

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #6
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Supposedly she is married and has had another child.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
country flag Kevin.
Team USA ♥

We need to change this thread to Alexis King. Apparently she got married and had another child and she is coming back!

She is in qualifying at the 10k in Atlanta, which most likely I will attend

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Great news! I wish her the best in her marriage and back on the courts
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #9

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to see her comeback match in ATL tomorrow as...ALEXIS KING,,

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #10
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Have fun!
Take pics please!

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #11
country flag ArturoAce.
Chip 'n Charge

ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute ArturoAce. has a reputation beyond repute

Great News!!
GL Alexis

We have another KING

Have Fun
ArturoAce. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM   #12
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm a little late, but she got destroyed in QR128 and only won 4 games

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM   #13

Pluskota is VERY talented and is a fantastic college player and top 20 in her class on tennisrecruit. Both had similar gamestyles and the match was after a 4 hour match and Alexis seemed agitated. Again, Alexis had a baby (in January...she said she wanted to hit the next day..) she is back full time and hopes to get into some large events..troy was one she said

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:16 AM   #14
country flag hellas719

Lost QR1 25K Rock Hill to Rizzolo 7-6 2-6 6-7

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:30 AM   #15
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Its a shame she lost today, but it's still really good to see her back in action. Hopefully she'll starting playing full time again in 2010
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote