Eva Asderaki - Page 29 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #421
country flag Raz0r

Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold
Re: Eva Asderaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentine View Post
@DailyForehand
The Daily Forehand
I've just been given a green light by the WTA to just approach Eva Asderaki for an interview on my own. Wish me luck, tweeps. #CitiOpen

Fangirl squeal.
ZOMG I wanna read the interview transcripts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #422
country flag Root

Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@DailyForehand The Daily Forehand
Asderaki Update #1: She's chaired some matches, but Eva is more in a supervisory role, evaluating other umpires on a clipboard. #CitiOpen

@DailyForehand The Daily Forehand
Poll: The idea of Eva Asderaki watching you do your job and silently writing things on a clipboard is: A) Terrifying; B) Amazing. #CitiOpen

EDIT: She chaired Razzano/Falconi and the commentator called her experienced and authoritative. Adjectives!
Work it, gurl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0r View Post
ZOMG I wanna read the interview transcripts
Yes, asap.
Root is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #423
country flag footygirl

footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
@DailyForehand
The Daily Forehand
I've just been given a green light by the WTA to just approach Eva Asderaki for an interview on my own. Wish me luck, tweeps. #CitiOpen

Fangirl squeal.
I would bet it would be Eva doing Serena v Screamapova if she was at Stanford. But she will no doubt get the final at Maryland

Can you ask her why she has never had a GS singles final

And remind her she is the best of the lady umpires - that means she is better than Lang who has had her fair share of finals - hope she doesn't get the US Open final - give it to Eva as poor Lynn looks unlikely to get it because of Serena Williams being a probable quarter finalist

Last edited by footygirl : Aug 3rd, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
footygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM   #424
country flag Raz0r

Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold Raz0r is a splendid one to behold

Another final for Eva

Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM   #425
country flag Raz0r

The article's out!!

http://www.sbnation.com/tennis/2011/...e-eva-asderaki

I'm also posting it below:
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM   #426
country flag Raz0r

Sitting Down With Chair Umpire Eva Asderaki

Chair Umpire Eva Asderaki looks on during the final of the Citi Open in College Park, Maryland (Photo by Ben Rothenberg)

By Ben Rothenberg

Greek Chair Umpire Eva Asderaki talks to SB Nation about life in and out of the chair.

Aug 1, 2011 - COLLEGE PARK, MD -- Tennis can be a confusing, even bewildering sport to follow. With hundreds of men and women playing singles and doubles in several different tournaments in different countries and continents each week, there are a lot of moving pieces.

But luckily, in the face of such chaos and unpredictability, there are the chair umpires. A core of roughly ten elite umpires are there at every tournament, men and women who have risen to the chairs at top of the ladder. As the chair umpires keep order and narrate the matches, their familiar voices provide a stability and comfort level that the frantic world of tennis needs

One of the best of the elite umpires is Eva Asderaki of Greece, who presides over matches with preternatural calm and a long blonde ponytail. Asderaki has risen to the biggest stages of the profession with incredible speed, and while she has not yet called a Grand Slam final (she has worked several Grand Slam semifinals), she certainly seems poised to get that deserved honor in the near future.

I sat down with Eva at the Citi Open in College Park, Maryland, to discuss life in and out of the chair.

SBN: You've risen to the top of the chair umpiring ranks--what does it take to make a great chair umpire?

Eva Asderaki: What does it take? (laughs) I think first of all you must love what you do, in order to do it well. You must love traveling, because we travel the whole year. Different places, different continents. It does get tiring, but it is obviously very nice and very exciting to go to different places, see different things, and meet new people.

SBN: Do you get to pick your own schedule?

Eva Asderaki: Not really. I am contracted by the WTA, so we do our schedule together. And then I apply to every other tournament, like the Grand Slams, that I would want to go and work.

SBN: You're from Greece, which is not a big tennis country--how did you get started in tennis?

Eva Asderaki: I played tennis as a junior, but only as a hobby. One year, at my tennis club, we had an international tournament, and they asked us to help as line judges. And that's how I started. I liked it, and I met people who came from other countries, and they told me about their experiences. It was something that I really liked, so I started!

SBN: Would you say that you've risen higher in tennis than any other Greek person in tennis history?

Eva Asderaki: (Laughs) I don't know about that! I wouldn't say anything like that.

SBN: You're calling a doubles match later--do you have a preference between calling singles or doubles?

Eva Asderaki: No, no, they're both exciting, each in it's own way.

SBN: There's no Hawkeye here [at the Citi Open]--do you think it's easier to call tournaments with or without Hawkeye, and how is it different for you?

Eva Asderaki: It's...different. Hawkeye is a great innovation in tennis the last few years. I think it helped everybody, and it made things easier. The players are more relaxed. If they disagree, they challenge, they see the result, and they go on and play. For us, it's fine. It's nothing to be scared of, it's nothing to worry about.

SBN: I've heard suggestions that they should use Hawkeye on clay, instead of having to try to find the right mark. Would you be in favor of that?

Eva Asderaki: That would have to go a long way to get approved, I don't know (laughs).

SBN: You do a lot of your work sitting in chairs--which tournament has the most comfortable chairs?

Eva Asderaki: (Laughs) I don't know really! That's a good question. I don't know. Here the chairs are good--they're quite comfortable, and there's a lot of space.

SBN: Any least comfortable chairs that you can remember? A tournament the chair umpires dread every year because of the chairs?

Eva Asderaki: No, nothing that bad. But there are definitely some chairs that are not as comfortable. I can't remember any right now though (laughs).

SBN: There's a small group of chair umpires who work all the biggest tournaments--you, Allison Lang, Lynn Welch, and others--do you all hang out outside of work at all?

Eva Asderaki: As much as we can, yes. Obviously, during the tournaments it's easy to be together, to go for dinner together, and socialize. But outside of the tournaments it's not that feasible because we are in different places. But we are very close, yes.

SBN: You call some men's matches as well, at the Grand Slams and at some other tournaments. How is the feel different for calling men's vs. women's matches?

Eva Asderaki: It's--men's and women's tennis, both are nice. It's just a different challenge, really. It's part of our work, and it's a different challenge.

SBN: I said on Twitter that I was going to be talking to you, and people were very excited. Someone asked for me to ask you what kind of shampoo you use, because your hair always looks amazing on TV. So...what is your secret?

Eva Asderaki: (Laughs) I don't know if this is going to go down with commercial? I'm using Dove. (Laughs).

SBN: Thank you very much for your time, Eva, I appreciate it.

Eva Asderaki: (Laughs) That was very good, thank you. (Laughs)
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM   #427
country flag Raz0r

Eva Love how she's so humble and cheerful.

P.S. Imma switch to Dove right now
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #428
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

So cute.
Figures that she's BFFs with Lang and we give Lang all this hate.

Just bought Dove shampoo yesterday because they were out of what I usually use. Coincidence?
Jane Lane is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM   #429
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Someone tweeted asking if the umpire doing Kiri/Marino was Eva.
@MercuryInsOpen
....it's not Asderaki. She's not here this week.

She did the final last year.

Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #430
country flag footygirl

footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light footygirl is a glorious beacon of light

I bet it was Louise Engzell they mixed her up with - they do look very similar. I reckon Lynn Welch will do the San Diego final this week as there is no top ranking American in the draw.

Eva was on the East Coast - probably given her the week off before Montreal next week.

Below is a copy of the letter I sent to the ITF officiating - pointing out the disparity. I did get a reply back. Have a go at emailing them yourself. The email address is

officiating@itftennis.com

You will get a reply - wait till you see who replies

Dear Sir/Madam

I am hoping yoll be able to assist in answering a question that I have often asked myself- and indeed many fans have also asked

As a great fan of the sport I do take an interest in which umpires are allocated the prestigious Grand Slam finals, and I would like to think tha all officials, provided they do the job to a high standard will be accorded the honour of a GS singles final.

Therefore it has been somewhat dissppointing this year to note that Alison Lang has been given two Grand Slam Singles finals, while Louise Engzell has had one final.

While Louise thoroughly deserved her final, to give Ms Lang two finals in one season would seem to be unfair on other female umpires, such as Eva Asderaki, Mariana Alves and Lynn Welch, who all put in long hours on the WTA tour.

I am aware that there is nothing in writing to sy that a WTA official cannot umpire a GS singles final, and I ask you to allocate the US Open final to Eva Asderaki, she is in my opinion the best female official and it is grossly unfair that she is overlooked for GS singles finals, when Alison Lang seems to be a regular choice.

A lot of tennis fans feel the same way as I do, and also the tennisforum has a thread asking for Eva to be given a GS singles final. Why wasn't she allocated at least the doubles final at Wimbledon - her tournament was basically over after officiating the Serena Williams v Marion Bartoli fourth round match. She should have been given the final as her officiating had been exemplary.

So, with this in mind, wouldn't the fairest solution be to allocate the US Open ladies final to Eva Asderaki.

I would appreciate any assistance you could provide as an answer to my question.

Come on let's beat the drum for Eva to get the US Open final - I think USTA run the US Open and Brian Earlhy is the referee. Let's get emailing
footygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #431
country flag Jane Lane

Don't get me wrong, I think enthusiasm is a good thing, but to be honest, you take it a little far. It's obvious from the interview the Eva enjoys what she does, whether or not she has gotten a GS final. She doesn't seem bitter or anything about it; after all, she's like BFFs with Lang, Louise etc. She'll get one in time - I think we all forget she's only 29 years old. So I think we should just enjoy whenever she is around because we all know she's the best anyway.

That's my opinion.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #432
country flag Raz0r

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think enthusiasm is a good thing, but to be honest, you take it a little far. It's obvious from the interview the Eva enjoys what she does, whether or not she has gotten a GS final. She doesn't seem bitter or anything about it; after all, she's like BFFs with Lang, Louise etc. She'll get one in time - I think we all forget she's only 29 years old. So I think we should just enjoy whenever she is around because we all know she's the best anyway.

That's my opinion.
This.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #433
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Eva

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #434
country flag Jane Lane

So watching the DC final again on Tennis Channel and not only did they spell Eva's name wrong on the little caption thingy, she's from Germany again.

Failure
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #435
country flag Jane Lane

So Eva stayed in DC and is doing the men's event. She did the Bryan bros doubles match tonight, overruled, was challenged and proven to be correct by a millimeter. Cue the amused smirk.