McCain opposes equal pay bill in Senate - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
McCain opposes equal pay bill in Senate

Source: AP

NEW ORLEANS - Republican Sen. John McCain, campaigning through poverty-stricken cities and towns, said Wednesday he opposes a Senate bill that seeks equal pay for women because it would lead to more lawsuits.

Senate Republicans killed the bill Wednesday night on a 56-42 vote that denied the measure the 60 votes needed to advance it to full debate and a vote. Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had delayed the vote to give McCain's Democratic rivals, Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, time to return to Washington to support the measure, which would make it easier for women to sue their employers for pay discrimination.

McCain skipped the vote to campaign in New Orleans.

"I am all in favor of pay equity for women, but this kind of legislation, as is typical of what's being proposed by my friends on the other side of the aisle, opens us up to lawsuits for all kinds of problems," the expected GOP presidential nominee told reporters. "This is government playing a much, much greater role in the business of a private enterprise system."

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_...

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Re: McCain opposes equal pay bill in Senate

Let's remind all of those women that want to vote for him in November about this.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

He's not really discussing the role of women. He is discussing the government's role in economics and on a day to day basis. Which is a typical Republican thought. But typical McCain, really.

Did you see the new commercial the DNC put out? He says some OUTLANDISH things.

But we say this every year and somehow, the Republicans keep getting tons of votes. It's like people are blind and live under rocks.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #4
country flag samsung101

samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute samsung101 has a reputation beyond repute

We already have sex discrimination laws in the workplace, for sex, race, religion,
sexual orientation.

This is just another trial lawyer pushed bill to allow for more lawsuits.

Women sue for this now, if they wish to.

It happens all the time now, didn't they have a big lawsuit against
Walmart w/that last year? Which the women won.

Good for McCain.
He's right.
When does the free marketplace ever get to be a free marketplace?
Women make up over half the workforce now don't they?

Which is why it is being held up so Obama and Hillary can use it as a campaign
platform. When neither could bother to vote on other issues, that the Congress
has held up, or just skipped over. Like NSA legislation. Pelosi used tricks to
put that vote aside indefinitely, until after the election. So, neither Hillary
or Obama would have to put a vote on the record for it again.

Women make less than men - in most cases - because they do take more time off
for children, to have children, to care for family. Also, many go in and out
of the workforce. As well as most women do not enter into all male oriented
fields as much. Though, that is changing.

I think that deters many employers from hiring a woman over a man in the first
place....will she leave to have children after we train and employ her for 2 or
3 years...and then she's off 1 year or so..... That does deter women moving up,
in my view, in some cases.

The legal field shows how women do make money, more than anything else, where women make up the
majority of law students. In time, they will make more money overall. Ditto for teaching,
where most administration positions are held by the women, not the men.

McCain is right to not support it.

It's for show, and trial lawyers.

We already have laws in place for this.
samsung101 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #5
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

I am generally of the opinion that trying to socially engineer change in the face of market forces usually ends badly. It's a lot like trying to legislate morality.

As I recall, the woman in the case cited had a pretty good argument that she'd been discriminated against, but there's still a lot of factors including career choices, hours worked and yes, discrimination that influence the wage gap. Frankly, I'm not certain they can, or should, be sorted out at the federal level.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that the number of women receiving college degrees has moved ahead of men. Over the upcoming couple of decades that may do more to even things out than anything else.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Pureracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung101 View Post
We already have sex discrimination laws in the workplace, for sex, race, religion,
sexual orientation.

This is just another trial lawyer pushed bill to allow for more lawsuits.

Women sue for this now, if they wish to.

It happens all the time now, didn't they have a big lawsuit against
Walmart w/that last year? Which the women won.

Good for McCain.
He's right.
When does the free marketplace ever get to be a free marketplace?
Women make up over half the workforce now don't they?

Which is why it is being held up so Obama and Hillary can use it as a campaign
platform. When neither could bother to vote on other issues, that the Congress
has held up, or just skipped over. Like NSA legislation. Pelosi used tricks to
put that vote aside indefinitely, until after the election. So, neither Hillary
or Obama would have to put a vote on the record for it again.

Women make less than men - in most cases - because they do take more time off
for children, to have children, to care for family. Also, many go in and out
of the workforce. As well as most women do not enter into all male oriented
fields as much. Though, that is changing.

I think that deters many employers from hiring a woman over a man in the first
place....will she leave to have children after we train and employ her for 2 or
3 years...and then she's off 1 year or so..... That does deter women moving up,
in my view, in some cases.

The legal field shows how women do make money, more than anything else, where women make up the
majority of law students. In time, they will make more money overall. Ditto for teaching,
where most administration positions are held by the women, not the men.

McCain is right to not support it.

It's for show, and trial lawyers.

We already have laws in place for this.
So, let me get this straight, equal pay is good, but not as good as the absence of lawsuits? What about domestic abuse laws, is the extra paper work worth the trouble?

I have a compromise solution. Instead of lawsuits, how about throwing violators of the equal pay law IN FUCKING JAIL!

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #7
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not american, but american law suprise me every day..Whats that stupid idea that government is deciding about pay in workplaces? Isnt it employer's matter how many he'll play for the employers Maybe Im too drunk to undertand all article, bu I ffind it sick that government has an influsence on matters like that...

Quote:
He is discussing the government's role in economics and on a day to day basis.
government's role in economics should not exist. Von Mises was clever enough to understand that. And Rothbatd..And even Friedman...Why people are so stupid...?
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Pureracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
Im not american, but american law suprise me every day..Whats that stupid idea that government is deciding about pay in workplaces? Isnt it employer's matter how many he'll play for the employers Maybe Im too drunk to undertand all article, bu I ffind it sick that government has an influsence on matters like that...

government's role in economics should not exist. Von Mises was clever enough to understand that. And Rothbatd..And even Friedman...Why people are so stupid...?
Yeah you're too drunk to understand American values of fairness and equality.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #9
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
Yeah you're too drunk to understand American values of fairness and equality.
Maybe I am...You know, I am savage from eastern Europe, I almst dont speak english, I learned to read yesterday...I thought I'll learn something about democracy from progressive and educated friends from USA

But I still think that governmental force has nothing common with fairness or freedom and is totalitarian way of solving a problems...
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Pureracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
Maybe I am...You know, I am savage from eastern Europe, I almst dont speak english, I learned to read yesterday...I thought I'll learn something about democracy from progressive and educated friends from USA

But I still think that governmental force has nothing common with fairness or freedom and is totalitarian way of solving a problems...
ok....

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #11
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute

I rather feel that pay rate should be determined by merit, not sex. If a guy and a girl have the exact same merits, they should be paid the same, obviously.

But that's up to the companies, and if companies discriminate, then they'll have to face the consequences when people boycott them and their products.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #12
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

He certainly won't be getting a vote from someone named Venus Williams then again she's a Jehovah's witness and I don't think they vote
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote