Other Greek Players - Page 46 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #676
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Other Greek Players

FEATURE: Second Chance Could be First Step in Rebuilding Houston Tennis
A roll of the dice two years ago on the international recruiting trail could be looked back upon as the start of a new beginning for the Houston Tennis program.Patrick Sullivan, one of the top up-and-coming coaches in the country who was hired as the new leader for the women's tennis program on June 6, 2012, took to the road in his first season as head coach at Stephen F. Austin, where he made possibly the most important recruiting trip of his career.The Houston native made the trek to Greece along with a native of the country who was a friend of Sullivan in his previous job at the University of Arkansas, and the two met up with the Greek Davis Cup coach to discuss a prospect, but were greeted with unexpected advice."He told us that the girl we were looking at was alright, but that he had another girl who had pro potential," Sullivan explained. "He said that she had been injured, but that she was the one we needed to be looking at."The player he was referring to was*Elena Kordolaimi, who had recently suffered a severe ankle injury and had been told she may never play again.Sullivan was unable to visit Kordolaimi while there, but made contact afterwards, and what he found was a determined player and an even better person."At first I cried and I thought that I wouldn't try to do anything else," said Kordolaimi regarding her injury. "That's why I chose to major in kinesiology because I thought that if I can't do something else, then I can help other people's dreams come true because I know what it feels like to not be able to play."Based on a recommendation and multiple discussions with Kordolaimi, Sullivan took a leap of faith and offered her a scholarship."Her enthusiasm is what stood out to me in our conversations, which, to me, is the number one quality in people," Sullivan said. "If you love what you do and you're passionate about it and have even just a little bit of talent you can make something great of yourself. I was obviously a little worried about the gap and her lack of playing time in that really crucial developmental time when players take big steps forward. However, it was probably the hungriest player that I've ever talked to that was so ready for the opportunity. She told me she would do whatever it took to be great."Kordolaimi thanked Sullivan for his gamble by posting a stellar freshman campaign at SFA, winning 23 of 31 singles matches as the Ladyjacks climbed as high as No. 35 nationally and made their first ever appearance at the NCAA Tournament.**When Sullivan took the job at Houston, he brought Kordolaimi along - not to disrespect his previous job by taking a top player, but for everything she brings off the court that could be beneficial to the new squad he was taking over.

"It was big because she knows what we're trying to accomplish, as far as the team culture, work ethic and attitude," Sullivan said. "She had already done those things for a year and succeeded, on and off the court, so it was not only bringing in an instant number one player, but also someone who was a great testimonial that if we stick with this philosophy, it's going to work. I think when other girls on the team saw our relationship, they immediately respected what we were trying to accomplish because they saw how far she had come in one year."
Kordolaimi has immediately made an impact, leading the squad with eight singles wins during the fall season, while seamlessly fitting in with her new teammates and surroundings.
"It's awesome," said Kordolaimi. "Everybody is great and people are supporting me everyday. The girls have great personalities and the chemistry is outstanding. I think that's why we will get to the next level; because we're playing with people we love."
Knowing Sullivan better than most at the University of Houston, Kordolaimi is very confident in his ability to take the Cougars to the next level.
"I think it can be as great as people can possibly imagine, from winning conference championships to going to the Sweet 16, or even more." Kordolaimi said. "He's a person that really loves his job and puts the players as a priority, and I don't think all coaches are like that."
Kordolaimi could be the first building block for the bright future of the Houston program, and she will always be thankful for the coach that decided to give her an opportunity.
"I know he's a great person because not many people will take the chance on you after an injury," Kordolaimi said. "Imagine yourself sitting at home searching for a job, and just because someone heard something about you, they give you a shot. It's great and not many people do that."
"I think what we try to do is build relationships that transcend tennis," Sullivan said. "Four girls from my first Arkansas team came to our fall tournament to see me, and that was the best part of my weekend. The fact that eight years later there are girls that will come all the way to Houston to hang out is why I do this job. Hopefully that will be Elena eight years from now coming back to support."
A random set of circumstances two years ago led Sullivan to Kordolaimi, and the two are both extremely grateful for their new opportunities at the University of Houston
From:*http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/w-te...011013aaj.html

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #677
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute

Some photos from Eleni's college career:

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #678
country flag hellas719

Some other Greek girls in college tennis:
Dimitra Stavrianakou, UMKC:

Konstantina Adami, Butler:

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #679
country flag hellas719

Aikaterini Stavroulaki:

Mara Argyriou:

Joanna-Nena Savva:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #680
country flag hellas719

Aspasia Avgeri:

Anastasia Agelatou-Raftopoulou:

Aspasia Avgeri:

Paraskevi Botsa:

Aspasia Avgeri:

Paraskevi Botsa:

Paraskevi Botsa:

Eleni Christofi:

Paraskevi Botsa:

Eleni Christofi:

Anna-Maria Danielants:

Eleni Christofi:

Anna-Maria Danielants:

Aspasia Avgeri:

Anna-Maria Danielants:

Dafni Demenaga:

Eleni Christofi:

Anna-Maria Danielants:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #681
country flag hellas719

Katerina Harsoula:

Dafni Demenaga:

Katerina Harsoula:

Maria-Evangelia Kolotsou:

Dafni Demenaga:

Katerina Harsoula:

Dafni Demenaga:

Katerina Harsoula:

Stavroula Maglara:

Aspasia Kroustalaki:

Aspasia Kroustalaki and Aspasia Avgeri:

Aspasia Kroustalaki:

Katerina Harsoula:

Aspasia Kroustalaki:

Stavroula Maglara:

Margarita Markaki:

Stavroula Maglara:

Margarita Markaki:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #682
country flag hellas719

Margarita Markaki:

Stavroula Maglara:

Athanasia Papadimitriou:

Ilektra Petridou:

Athanasia Papadimitriou:

Stavroula Maglara and Theodora Soldatou:

Ilektra Petridou:

Athanasia Papadimitriou:

Ilektra Petridou:

Theodora Soldatou:

Athanasia Papadimitriou:

Theodora Soldatou:

Ilektra Petridou:

Konstantina Tsekoura:

Theodora Soldatou:

Konstantina Tsekoura:

Efthalia Zerva:

Konstantina Tsekoura:

Efthalia Zerva:

Theodora Soldatou:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #683
country flag hellas719

Efthalia Zerva:

Konstantina Tsekoura:

Valentini Grammatikopoulou and Eleonora Papazoglou:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #684
country flag hellas719

Agni Stefanou photoshoot with Papamichail and Sakkari:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #685
country flag hellas719

Agni Stefanou:

Angeliki Kairi:

Cristiana Ferrando (ITA) and Agni Stefanou:

Angeliki Kairi:

Agni Stefanou:

Cristiana Ferrando (ITA) and Agni Stefanou:

Aikaterini Stavroulaki:

Angeliki Kairi:

Agni Stefanou and Angeliki Kairi:

Angeliki Kairi:

Aikaterini Stavroulaki:

Angeliki Kairi:

Agni Stefanou:

Angeliki Kairi:

Aikaterini Stavroulaki:

Angeliki Kairi:

Angeliki Kanellopoulou:

Angeliki Kairi:

Aikaterini Stavroulaki:

Angeliki Kairi:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #686
country flag hellas719

Agni Stefanou:

Despoina Vogasari:

Agni Stefanou:

Despoina Vogasari:

Such a funny pic . *Vogasari, Papamichail, and others are watching and Kanellopoulou looks very nervous :

Agni Stefanou:

Despoina Vogasari:

Agni Stefanou:

Dimitra Stavrianakou:

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #687
country flag hellas719

Houston Tennis Inks Despoina Vogasari to National Letter of Intent

HOUSTON -University of Houston women's tennis head coach Patrick Sullivan announced Wednesday the signing of Despoina Vogasari to a National Letter of Intent to play for the 2013-14 season.

Vogasari holds the highest ranking of any junior player in Greece and the Athens native is the highest ranked player to sign with the Houston women's tennis program in the last 20 years.

"In nearly ten years of college coaching, Depi is the first person I have signed during the early period, so that tells you how highly regarded she is around here," Sullivan said. "She is the type of student-athlete that championship teams are built around, and in fact turned down several offers from top-25 teams to come to Houston because she shares our dream and has the courage and confidence to be part of the foundation of something exciting and new.

"At the young age of 17, she has already seen significant success on the tour, and is a high achiever in the classroom as well. We're excited to provide her with the opportunity to continue to pursue her academic and professional tennis dreams concurrently."

Vogasari, the daughter of Dionysios Vogasaris and Maria Anaipakou, is recently coming off of her first professional tournament victory at the The Mytilini Open in Greece and has been a finalist in five other professional singles and doubles events over the last two years.

"During the recruitment process I had the opportunity to become very close to Depi's family and am excited to welcome all of them to the Houston Tennis family," Sullivan continued. "I am enormously grateful to her parents Dionysios and Maria for entrusting me with her care and development over the next four years."

Vogasari will become the second native of Greece to suit up in the Scarlet and White, as Elena Kordolaimi, a product of Lamia, is currently a sophomore with the Cougars.

From:http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/w-te...112012aaa.html

I'm not sure about this decision...it's definitely good for her to be with Kordolaimi though. I'm sure she'll do just fine. I thought she had the tools to go pro but she did get a full scholarship and with her recent results, maybe college tennis is the right choice for her. And I saw on another site that she plans to turn pro after college. I hope it all works out for her

Old Jun 21st, 2013, 06:18 AM   #688
country flag hellas719

Agni Stefanou:

Despoina Vogasari:

Aspasia Avgeri (left) :

Aspasia Avgeri (left) and Eleni Christofi (right) :

Katerina Kostaki:

Katerina Kostaki (left) and Maria Kouloutsou (right) :

Agni Stefanou:
0:25-0:40

Ioanna Markesini:
1:27-1:57

Despoina Vogasari:
2:09-2:26

Margarita Markaki:
1:32-1:38

Despoina Vogasari:
1:38-2:08

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #689
country flag hellas719

Despoina Vogasari in the middle:

Anastasia Rentouli, Martha Matoula, and Aspasia Avgeri:

Anastasia Rentouli, Eleni Christofi, and Aspasia Avgeri:

Martha Matoula:

Martha Matoula and Aspasia Avgeri:

Despoina Vogasari (2nd from left) :

Agni Stefanou and Valentini Grammatikopoulou:

Agni Stefanou:

Agni Stefanou and Valentini Grammatikopoulou:

Despoina Vogasari (right) :

Angeliki Kokkota:

Eleni Christofi:

Irini Papageorgiou:
0:06-0:31:

Despoina Vogasari:
0:32-1:03:

Despoina Vogasari:
1:17-1:33:

Agni Stefanou:
1:11-1:32:

Despoina Vogasari:
0:27-0:59:

Margarita Markaki:
2:33-2:45:

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #690
country flag hellas719

Despoina Vogasari:

Angeliki Kokkota:

Despoina Vogasari:

Eleni Christofi:

Agni Stefanou and Despoina Vogasari:
]

Aspasia Avgeri:

Despoina Vogasari:

Angeliki Kokkota:

Despoina Vogasari and Agni Stefanou:

Anastasia Rentouli:

Despoina Vogasari:

Irini Papageorgiou:

Despoina Vogasari:

Anastasia Rentouli:

Despoina Vogasari:

Agni Stefanou:

Despoina Vogasari:

Angeliki Kairi:

Martha Matoula:

Despoina Vogasari: