Israel-Palestine Conflict - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 30th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Israel-Palestine Conflict

JERUSALEM — Jun 30, 2014, 4:09 AM ET
By JOSEF FEDERMAN Associated Press
Associated Press

The Israeli military found the bodies of three missing teenagers on Monday, just over two weeks after they were abducted in the West Bank, allegedly by Hamas militants. The grisly discovery culminated a feverish search that led to Israel's largest ground operation in the Palestinian territory in nearly a decade and raised fears of renewed fighting with Hamas. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was huddling with his Security Cabinet late Monday to discuss a response.

Eyal Yifrah, 19, Gilad Shaar, 16, and Naftali Fraenkel, a 16-year-old with dual Israeli-American citizenship, disappeared while hitchhiking home near the West Bank city of Hebron late at night on June 12 and were never heard from again. Despite the dangers, hitchhiking is common among Israelis traveling in and out of Jewish settlements in the West Bank.

The Israeli military and the Shin Bet security agency announced late Monday that the bodies had been found. "The bodies are currently going through forensic identification. The families of the abducted teens have been notified," the army said. The Shin Bet said the bodies had been buried in a field near the village of Halhul, just north of Hebron.

Binyamin Proper, who was among the civilian volunteers that found the bodies, told Channel 2 TV that a member of the search party "saw something suspicious on the ground, plants that looked out of place, moved them and moved some rocks and then found the bodies. We realized it was them and we called the army."

Israel accused Hamas of being behind the abductions and launched a frantic manhunt throughout the West Bank, arresting nearly 400 Hamas operatives in the process. Last week, Israel identified two well-known Hamas operatives as the chief suspects. The two men remained on the run late Monday.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned the kidnappings, and his forces coordinated closely with Israel during the search for the teens. But Netanyahu has called on Abbas to dissolve a unity government recently formed with the backing of Hamas, saying it is impossible to be committed to peace while simultaneously sitting together with a group that kidnaps Israelis. Abbas has so far refused the calls, saying his new government is committed to his political program. Hamas is not part of his government, but has lent its backing from the outside.

The search for the teens captured the nation's attention. The Israeli media delivered round-the-clock updates on the search, and the mothers of the three teens became high-profile figures as they campaigned for their sons' return. Israelis held daily prayer vigils, including mass gatherings attended by tens of thousands of people at the Western Wall, the holiest prayer site in Judaism, and in a downtown square in Tel Aviv.

Late Monday, dozens of Israeli forces moved into the village of Halhul. There were no further details on the operation. In Washington, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said, "We obviously condemn in the strongest possible terms violence that takes the lives of innocent civilians."

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 30th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Israel Finds Bodies of Kidnapped Teens

The conflict will escalate again.
A never ending vicious circle of attacks and retaliations.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 01:14 AM   #3
country flag Thanos

Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute Thanos has a reputation beyond repute

"Despite the dangers, hitchhiking is common among Israelis traveling in and out of Jewish settlements in the West Bank."

this is pretty dumb. i was taught from young age not to get into stranger car.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 01:50 AM   #4
country flag buddyholly

buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future buddyholly has a brilliant future

Israel will retaliate and everyone will be outraged at Israeli cruelty.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 05:55 AM   #5
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
"Despite the dangers, hitchhiking is common among Israelis traveling in and out of Jewish settlements in the West Bank."

this is pretty dumb. i was taught from young age not to get into stranger car.

In that area it's much more risky but bachshon wachsman was kiddnaped when he was standing waiting for the bus deep in Israel territory without waiting for a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Israel will retaliate and everyone will be outraged at Israeli cruelty.
True but the public is so mad about the 3 boys that the governant has a free hand to do whatever they want to catch those cowards and crushed the hammas to the ground.
I don't believe they will touch anyone else because they were very cooperative

Hug it out as long as it takes, people
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 12:20 PM   #6
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

This case doesn't match the typical Hamas MO. Usually (like with soldier Gilad Shalit) they hold someone for a hostage swap, which has generally gotten them far more of their guys released, dozens (or even a few hundred) to one. Whereas in this case there was no (reported) demand for a trade, and its reported that all 3 were shot right away. The perpetrators may be a more radical breakaway faction of Hamas (like ISIS/ISIL from al-Qaeda).

PM Netanyahu has never seemed comfortable with the defacto US - Iranian co-operation in the current Iraq crisis (let alone the patient Obama-Kerry approach in the nuclear negotiations with Iran). If Bibi uses this seeming "freelance" triple murder to try to run out the clock until there's a new US President, that's not good. And if that's what he intends to do, he ought to have the honor to turn down the $3 billion in annual US military aid.

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 02:24 PM   #7
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Are the murdered teens a set-up by the Israeli government?

Do I believe that there are factions within certain portions of the Israeli government that would sanction such an op? Yes I do.

Do I know that it was such an op? No. However, the way this played out, the fact that there has been at no time no calls to find out who is responsible and the fact that AFAIK groups like Hamas usually want credit for their actions makes it tough for me to believe this was done by Hamas. Add in the number of black ops that can be credibly attributed to some of those "portions" and yeah . . . I'm leaning that way.

It could of course, have been done by any unknown third part that finds heightened conflict to be in its interests. Or who knows, maybe all of a sudden Hamas will change it's story and claim responsibility.

Discuss.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 02:37 PM   #8
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute Punky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are the murdered teens a set-up by the Israeli government?

this thread

Obviously you do not know the society in Israel.

Prominent prisoners released as part of the deal just to get one alive israeli solider, how much do you think we would have give for 3 kids???

Among the 1,027 prisoners released are about 280 prisoners serving life sentences for planning and perpetrating terror attacks[4] including:

Walid Abd al-Aziz Abd al-Hadi Anajas (36 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Cafι Moment bombing (2002), the Hebrew University bombing (2002) and the Rishon LeZion bombing (2002).[44]
Nasir Sami Abd al-Razzaq Ali al-Nasser Yataima (29 life sentences) – convicted of planning the Passover massacre (2002) in which 30 civilians were killed and 140 were wounded.[44]
Maedh Waal Taleb Abu Sharakh (19 life sentences), Majdi Muhammad Ahmed Amr (19 life sentences) and Fadi Muhammad Ibrahim al-Jaaba[44] (18 life sentences) – responsible for the attack on bus No. 37 in Haifa in 2002.
Tamimi Aref Ahmad Ahlam (16 life sentences) – Assisted in the execution of the Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing (2001).[44][45]
Abd al-Hadi Rafa Ghanim (16 life sentences) – the surviving perpetrator of the Tel Aviv Jerusalem bus 405 suicide attack in which Ghneim seized the steering wheel of a crowded Egged commuter bus line No. 405 and managed to pull the bus into a ravine in the area of Qiryat Ye'arim. 16 civilians were killed in the attack.[46]
Muhammad Waal Muhammad Douglas (15 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing in Jerusalem (2001).[47]
Muhammad Taher Mahmud al-Qaram (15 life sentences) – directly involved in the planning and execution of a bus attack in Haifa in which 15 Israelis were killed.[17]
Ahmed Mustafa Saleh Hamed al-Najar (7 life sentences) – led a militant squad that killed 3 Israelis in shooting attacks.[44]
Yihia Ibrahim Hasan Al-Sinwar (4 life sentences) – took part in the kidnapping of Nachshon Wachsman who was later killed by Hamas during a failed rescue attempt by an IDF unit. Founder of the Hamas security apparatus in Gaza. His brother organized the abduction of Gilad Shalit in 2006.[46]
Abd-Al-Aziz Muhammad Amar (4 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Cafι Hillel bombing (2003).[48]
Ibrahim Sulaim Mahmud Shammasina (3 life sentences) – took part in the killing of the boys Ronen Kramni and Lior Tuboul, the taxi driver Rafi Doron and the soldier Yehushua Friedberg.
Amir Sa'ud Salih Abu Sarhan (3 life sentences) – killed three Israelis with a knife in 1990.[17]
Mahmud Muhammad Ahmed Atwan (3 life sentences), Musa Daud Muhammad Akari (3 life sentences) and Majid Hassan Rajab Abu Qatish (3 life sentences) – militants that killed the Israeli policeman Nissim Toledano in 1992.[49]
Muhammad Yussuf Hassan al-Sharatha (3 life sentences) – head of the militant squad that kidnapped and killed the Israeli soldiers Ilan Saadon and Avi Sasportas during the first intifada.[46]
Abd al-Aziz Yussuf Mustafa Salehi (1 life sentence) – participant in the 2000 Ramallah lynching who was iconically photographed displaying his blood-stained hands to the Palestinian mob after having beaten an Israeli soldier to death.[44]
Bassam Ibrahim Abd al-Qader Abu Asneina (1 life sentence) and Riyadh Zakariya Khalil Asayla (1 life sentences) – Killed the yeshiva student Chaim Kerman.[47]
Fahed Sabri Barhan al-Shaludi (1 life sentence) – took part in the kidnapping and killing of the Israeli soldier Yaron Chen.[47]
Fuad Muhammad Abdulhadi Amrin (1 life sentence) – killed 15-year-old Israeli schoolgirl Helena Rapp in 1992.[50]
Jihad Muhammad Shaker Yaghmur (1 life sentence) – took part in the killing of Nachshon Wachsman.[46]
Mona Jaud Awana (1 life sentence) – lured over the Internet the 16-year-old Israeli high school student Ofir Rahum, pretending to be a young American tourist, managed to drive him to a remote area in the outskirts of Ramallah where three Palestinian gunmen showed up and shot Rahum at close range.[45]
Muhammad Abdul-Rahman Muhammad Zakut (1 life sentence) – Tel Aviv construction worker who stabbed three Israelis, killing two, on the holiday of Purim, 21 March 1989.[51][52]
Tarek Ahmed Abd al-Karim Hasayin (1 life sentence) – carried out the shooting attack on Highway 6 in June 2003, in which the 7-year-old girl Noam Leibowitz was killed.[47]
Yussuf Dhib Hamed Abu Aadi (1 life sentence) – Convicted of stabbing Israeli soldier Nir Kahana in 2005.[53]
Sh'hadeh Muhammad Hussein Sana'a (1 life sentence) – participated in the King George Street bombing by leading the suicide bomber to his destination.[54]
Abdallah Nasser Mahmud Arar (1 life sentence) – Member of the Hamas cell responsible for kidnapping and killing Israeli businessman Sasson Nuriel in 2005.[55][56]
Ahmed Jibril Othman al-Takruri (1 life sentence) – Carried out firebomb attack on a bus in Jericho, in which a mother and her three children, and a soldier who tried to rescue them, were killed.
Alaa al-Din Radha al-Bazyan (1 life sentence) – Convicted of perpetrating sniper attacks and belonging to a terrorist group.[57]
Ali Muhammad Ali al-Qadhi (1 life sentence) – Member of a Hamas cell responsible for kidnapping and killing Israeli businessman Sasson Nuriel in 2005

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM   #9
country flag *JR*

I agree with these words in another Israel-related thread, by someone I've often clashed with here on political topics:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wta_zuperfann View Post
We cannot solve problems if efforts to engage in meaningful discussions are suppressed. Unfortunately, this happens all too often and I know that from personal experience.
However, while I pointed out that this case deviated from how Hamas generally works, holding hostages to trade (and thus was likely the work of those like the more radical Islamic Jihad) I am ashamed of what pov did on this subject: suggest that it "may have been" an inside job, where the Israeli security services killed the 3 kids themselves.

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 08:27 PM   #10
country flag Londoner

Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute Londoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
this thread

Obviously you do not know the society in Israel.

Prominent prisoners released as part of the deal just to get one alive israeli solider, how much do you think we would have give for 3 kids???

Among the 1,027 prisoners released are about 280 prisoners serving life sentences for planning and perpetrating terror attacks[4] including:

Walid Abd al-Aziz Abd al-Hadi Anajas (36 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Cafι Moment bombing (2002), the Hebrew University bombing (2002) and the Rishon LeZion bombing (2002).[44]
Nasir Sami Abd al-Razzaq Ali al-Nasser Yataima (29 life sentences) – convicted of planning the Passover massacre (2002) in which 30 civilians were killed and 140 were wounded.[44]
Maedh Waal Taleb Abu Sharakh (19 life sentences), Majdi Muhammad Ahmed Amr (19 life sentences) and Fadi Muhammad Ibrahim al-Jaaba[44] (18 life sentences) – responsible for the attack on bus No. 37 in Haifa in 2002.
Tamimi Aref Ahmad Ahlam (16 life sentences) – Assisted in the execution of the Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing (2001).[44][45]
Abd al-Hadi Rafa Ghanim (16 life sentences) – the surviving perpetrator of the Tel Aviv Jerusalem bus 405 suicide attack in which Ghneim seized the steering wheel of a crowded Egged commuter bus line No. 405 and managed to pull the bus into a ravine in the area of Qiryat Ye'arim. 16 civilians were killed in the attack.[46]
Muhammad Waal Muhammad Douglas (15 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Sbarro restaurant suicide bombing in Jerusalem (2001).[47]
Muhammad Taher Mahmud al-Qaram (15 life sentences) – directly involved in the planning and execution of a bus attack in Haifa in which 15 Israelis were killed.[17]
Ahmed Mustafa Saleh Hamed al-Najar (7 life sentences) – led a militant squad that killed 3 Israelis in shooting attacks.[44]
Yihia Ibrahim Hasan Al-Sinwar (4 life sentences) – took part in the kidnapping of Nachshon Wachsman who was later killed by Hamas during a failed rescue attempt by an IDF unit. Founder of the Hamas security apparatus in Gaza. His brother organized the abduction of Gilad Shalit in 2006.[46]
Abd-Al-Aziz Muhammad Amar (4 life sentences) – took part in the execution of the Cafι Hillel bombing (2003).[48]
Ibrahim Sulaim Mahmud Shammasina (3 life sentences) – took part in the killing of the boys Ronen Kramni and Lior Tuboul, the taxi driver Rafi Doron and the soldier Yehushua Friedberg.
Amir Sa'ud Salih Abu Sarhan (3 life sentences) – killed three Israelis with a knife in 1990.[17]
Mahmud Muhammad Ahmed Atwan (3 life sentences), Musa Daud Muhammad Akari (3 life sentences) and Majid Hassan Rajab Abu Qatish (3 life sentences) – militants that killed the Israeli policeman Nissim Toledano in 1992.[49]
Muhammad Yussuf Hassan al-Sharatha (3 life sentences) – head of the militant squad that kidnapped and killed the Israeli soldiers Ilan Saadon and Avi Sasportas during the first intifada.[46]
Abd al-Aziz Yussuf Mustafa Salehi (1 life sentence) – participant in the 2000 Ramallah lynching who was iconically photographed displaying his blood-stained hands to the Palestinian mob after having beaten an Israeli soldier to death.[44]
Bassam Ibrahim Abd al-Qader Abu Asneina (1 life sentence) and Riyadh Zakariya Khalil Asayla (1 life sentences) – Killed the yeshiva student Chaim Kerman.[47]
Fahed Sabri Barhan al-Shaludi (1 life sentence) – took part in the kidnapping and killing of the Israeli soldier Yaron Chen.[47]
Fuad Muhammad Abdulhadi Amrin (1 life sentence) – killed 15-year-old Israeli schoolgirl Helena Rapp in 1992.[50]
Jihad Muhammad Shaker Yaghmur (1 life sentence) – took part in the killing of Nachshon Wachsman.[46]
Mona Jaud Awana (1 life sentence) – lured over the Internet the 16-year-old Israeli high school student Ofir Rahum, pretending to be a young American tourist, managed to drive him to a remote area in the outskirts of Ramallah where three Palestinian gunmen showed up and shot Rahum at close range.[45]
Muhammad Abdul-Rahman Muhammad Zakut (1 life sentence) – Tel Aviv construction worker who stabbed three Israelis, killing two, on the holiday of Purim, 21 March 1989.[51][52]
Tarek Ahmed Abd al-Karim Hasayin (1 life sentence) – carried out the shooting attack on Highway 6 in June 2003, in which the 7-year-old girl Noam Leibowitz was killed.[47]
Yussuf Dhib Hamed Abu Aadi (1 life sentence) – Convicted of stabbing Israeli soldier Nir Kahana in 2005.[53]
Sh'hadeh Muhammad Hussein Sana'a (1 life sentence) – participated in the King George Street bombing by leading the suicide bomber to his destination.[54]
Abdallah Nasser Mahmud Arar (1 life sentence) – Member of the Hamas cell responsible for kidnapping and killing Israeli businessman Sasson Nuriel in 2005.[55][56]
Ahmed Jibril Othman al-Takruri (1 life sentence) – Carried out firebomb attack on a bus in Jericho, in which a mother and her three children, and a soldier who tried to rescue them, were killed.
Alaa al-Din Radha al-Bazyan (1 life sentence) – Convicted of perpetrating sniper attacks and belonging to a terrorist group.[57]
Ali Muhammad Ali al-Qadhi (1 life sentence) – Member of a Hamas cell responsible for kidnapping and killing Israeli businessman Sasson Nuriel in 2005
I hope people take note, but I'm sure you're used to the general aim on here to blame Israelis for everything.
Londoner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 08:33 PM   #11
country flag Punky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
I hope people take note, but I'm sure you're used to the general aim on here to blame Israelis for everything.
yes.

Old Jul 8th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #12
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Just as I had feared earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
The conflict will escalate again.
A never ending vicious circle of attacks and retaliations.
The conflict has taken a turn for the worse, and nobody knows how to stop it. Egypt, which has helped brokered past cease-file, does not have good relationship with Hamas
Although these incidents are the ones that get the most press coverage, because they have a palpable human dimension, Israeli air-strikes and Palestinian rockets are now in a tic-for-tac contest, with no end in sight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burning to dead means he was still alive when he was set ablaze, dying in pain when his vital signs were overcome by the smoke and
================================================== ================================================== ===============
Autopsy Shows Palestinian Teen Was Burned to Death, Official Says

Mohammed Abu Khdeir Is Said to Have Suffered Burns Over '90% of His Body'

TEL AVIV—The spate of riots in Jerusalem during the past week spread to Israeli Arab towns on Saturday, and a Palestinian rocket was fired at the southern Israel city of Beersheva for the first time in a year and a half, escalating unrest that has fanned worries about a new Palestinian uprising.

The surge in hostilities came as Palestinian Attorney General Abdelghani al-Owaiwi said on Saturday that the autopsy of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, a Palestinian teen from East Jerusalem whose abduction and killing touched off the violence, indicated the 16 year old was burned to death.

Israel's Palestinian citizens held solidarity demonstrations throughout the north of the country, including Nazareth and Ararah, where stones were thrown at Israeli law-enforcement officials. Protesters also threw stones at a highway, according to the police.

After a calm Saturday morning, clashes broke out and spread through Arab districts throughout Jerusalem for a fourth day, according to police. Rioters threw stones at police and a handful of Israeli vehicles and locations were targeted. Some 50 Palestinians and 13 policeman were injured in the clashes, according to the Haaretz newspaper.
The rapidly spreading turmoil risks opening a new front of conflict with the Arab minority that makes up about one-fifth of Israel. The Palestinian uprising in 2000 also led to unrest inside Israel, but those demonstrations subsided within weeks.

"I will not permit the closing of highway 65, a main highway of the State of Israel,'' said Israeli Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch, who added: "I won't allow throwing bottle bombs or rock throwing."
In southern Israel, efforts to reach a cease-fire across the Israel-Gaza border failed to bear fruit, as one Palestinian rocket was intercepted over the Israeli city of Beersheva, the first such attack since Israel and the Palestinian Islamic militant group Hamas fought a weeklong war in 2012.
Both Israeli and Hamas spokespeople have said they don't want an escalation, but tit-for-tat attacks have persisted and the targeting of larger Israeli cities could serve as a trigger for the Israeli military to launch an offensive against Gaza.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has accused Jewish settlers of killing Mr. Abu Khdeir. Israeli police are investigating the possibility the killing was revenge for the deaths of three Israeli teenagers whose bodies were discovered on Monday. They are also looking into other potential motives.

Palestinian anger over the killing and the resulting clashes with Israeli forces in Jerusalem has fanned concern about a spillover into Palestinian cities in the West Bank.
The clashes in Jerusalem have also snared a U.S. citizen, 15-year-old Tariq Khdier, who was allegedly severely beaten by police during riots on Thursday and has been held in jail since. Palestinians have distributed a video depicting the teenager being pummeled by police and then dragged unconscious to a police car. The police said the video had been doctored in a biased fashion and misrepresents what transpired

U.S. State Department spokesperson Jen Psakai released a statement saying the U.S. is "profoundly disturbed" by reports of force used on the teen and called for a swift investigation by Israel. The spokeswoman called for "full accountability'' and a "transparent inquiry into" the case.
A U.S. consular representative met with Khdeir and he is expected to be brought before a court on Sunday. Israel's Justice Ministry said its department for police investigations had opened an inquiry into the incident.

Meanwhile, the preliminary findings of Mr. Abu Khdeir's autopsy indicate the "direct reasons for the death were fire burns and their complications," according to a statement posted on the website of the Palestinian public prosecutor's office. The statement said the presence of smoke in Mr. Abu Khdeir's lungs prove he inhaled the fumes while being burned alive and that there were burns on 90% of the body.

A Palestinian doctor was present during the examination at the Israel National Institute for Forensic Medicine in Tel Aviv, Mr. Abu Khdeir's family said. A spokeswoman for the Israeli health ministry confirmed the forensic institute had reached preliminary findings in the autopsy and had forwarded them to police, but she declined to comment on the results. The police spokesman said the details of the killing investigation were under a court gag order.

Mr. Abu Khdeir's funeral in the Shuafat neighborhood attracted thousands of mourners on Friday who shouted angry and militant slogans. In anticipation of clashes, the Israeli police deployed thousands of officers on Friday around the Arab districts of the city.

source: http://online.wsj.com/articles/arab-...ays-1404564160

Old Jul 8th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #13
country flag tennisbum79

Even the police has lost its mind

But critics say these type of incidents happens all the times, this particular one is getting coverage because the teen is Palestinian-American (born in the US) and it was caught on tape.

Beating of Palestinian-American Boy Caught on Video

As my colleague Jodi Rudoren reports, a video posted online appears to show Israeli police officers beating a Palestinian-American boy after his detention on Thursday during protests in East Jerusalem that followed the death of his cousin, a teenager who was kidnapped and killed two days earlier.
Relatives said that video recorded from two angles by witnesses showed two masked police officers hitting and kicking the boy, Tariq Khdeir, 15, a high school sophomore from Tampa, Fla., as they took him into custody with 11 others. A police spokesman, Micky Rosenfeld, accused the boy of “attacking security officers and rioting,” but his father, Salah Abu Khdeir, told The Associated Press that he had witnessed his son’s arrest and insisted that he was not involved in any violence. “I asked my son, ‘Did you throw rocks?’ He said, ‘No,'” Mr. Abu Khdeir said in an interview with CNN.

One of the witness videos, provided to the local broadcaster Palestine Today, was later obtained by the Israeli news site +972. The second clip, originally uploaded to Facebook, was copied and posted on YouTube by Ali Abunimah, a Palestinian-American activist, to illustrate a report on the incident for his Electronic Intifada website.

Addameer, a Palestinian group that supports prisoners in Israeli jails, said in a statement that Tariq had been detained without charge and was denied medical treatment for his injuries for five hours.

The State Department spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, said in a statement that an official from the U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem visited the detained boy on Saturday. “We are profoundly troubled by reports that he was severely beaten while in police custody,” she said, “and strongly condemn any excessive use of force.”

Palestinian protesters clashed with the Israeli police this week before and after the funeral of Muhammad Abu Khdeir, a 16-year-old whose burned body was discovered on Wednesday, shortly after he was forced into a car in East Jerusalem. Footage recorded by surveillance cameras appeared to capture the abduction on video, and police are trying to determine if the crime was a reprisal killing carried out by Jewish extremists seeking to avenge the deaths of three Israeli teenagers whose bodies were discovered on Monday, near where they had been hitchhiking in the occupied West Bank last month.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/wo...ideo.html?_r=0

Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #14
country flag tennisbum79

This conflict about to escalate one more notch.

CNN reporting that Israel is planning to send ground troops to the occupied territories.

Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #15
country flag tennisbum79

Ground operations in Gaza 'might become necessary,' Israeli official says

By Diana Magnay, Ed Payne and Josh Levs CNN
updated 10:14 PM EDT, Tue July 8, 2014

Jerusalem (CNN) -- Israel intercepted a rocket fired at Tel Aviv on Tuesday and killed militants who stormed into
Israeli territory, the military said, as people on both sides of the Gaza border were living under a barrage of attacks from the air. In a dramatic escalation of the conflict, militants fired more than 130 rockets at Israeli civilians,

Israel said. Palestinians reported 24 people in Gaza were killed and more than 150 injured in Israeli airstrikes. Israel said it targeted about 150 "terror sites" in Gaza.
The warning sirens that blared in Tel Aviv, one of Israel's most populated areas, showed a threat Israel had warned of.
The country said militants' rockets from Gaza are powerful enough to reach 3.5 million Israeli citizens.
"Hamas will pay a heavy price for its vicious attacks on millions of Israeli civilians," the Israel Defense Forces said on Twitter.

"No nation would accept constant rocket fire. Neither will we," the IDF said, using the hashtag #ItMustStop.

History of the Israel-Palestine conflict

Palestinian diplomat cautions escalation

Islamic Jihad, another Palestinian militant group, took responsibility for the rocket fired at Tel Aviv. In a statement, the group called it a "response to the ongoing Zionist aggression."
Hamas controls Gaza. Israel has said it holds Hamas responsible for the actions of militant groups inside the territory.
Hamas, on Twitter, used the hashtag #Gazaunderattack and warned, "Retaliations are coming, it is a matter of time."

Flare-up in Israeli-Palestinian violence: Why now?
Hamas later claimed responsibility for firing rockets on Jerusalem and Haifa. Three explosions sounded just west of the capital. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
"The occupation started this aggression and it must pay the price. We will be the ones to define the cost of the bill," Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum posted on his Facebook page.
The possibility of an Israeli incursion into Gaza loomed, with the Cabinet authorizing the military to call up 40,000 troops if needed -- 10,000 more than were called up during Israel's offensive into Gaza in November of 2012. Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, a military spokesman, said that only about 1,000 have been called up so far. He referred to "possible ground maneuvers."
Israeli Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz told CNN a ground operation "might become necessary."
But it was Hamas that claimed responsibility for "storming" into Israeli territory Tuesday. Hamas-controlled television reported "from the heart of the battlefield" that a group of its "commandos" was "conducting its duties in Zikim Zionist military base according to plan."
Zikim lies just north of Gaza and south of the Israeli city of Ashkelon.

The group of militants tried to enter Zikim through the water, Israeli media reported. Israeli soldiers spotted the divers in the water and called in an infantry force, Israel's Channel 10 reported. An exchange of fire ensued.

Israel responded by infantry, air force, and navy, Lerner said.

Five attackers -- armed with Kalashnikoves and hand grenades -- were killed, the Israel Defense Forces said. One Israeli soldier was lightly wounded, and the situation was ongoing as of Tuesday evening on the beach near the military's base in Zikim, he said.

Meanwhile, Hamas said it blew up a tunnel under Karem Shalom, an Israeli town near Gaza's southern border.
The town's residents were ordered to turn off all lights in their homes, Channel 10 reported. Israeli aircraft hovered above and fired toward Gaza, the station said.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/08/world/...east-tensions/