Capriati vs Sharapova: Who is greater? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is greater?

Jennifer Capriati. 64 37.43%
Maria Sharapova. 102 59.65%
Equal. 5 2.92%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #1
country flag Dav, Seles

Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice
Capriati vs Sharapova: Who is greater?

??
Dav, Seles is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #2
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Capriati vs Sharapova: Who is greater?

homogenius is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #3
country flag GrafMariaPetraK
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of

Sharapova
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #4
country flag Geisha

Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute Geisha has a reputation beyond repute

Jennifer, but not by much.

Capriati played through some of the toughest competition ever in the early 1990s with Seles and Graf, and in the 2000s with Serena, Venus, and others. Sharapova's results in recent years are extremely impressive, but I think Capriati's consistency at the big events are also undervalued.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
country flag GrandSlam05

GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute GrandSlam05 has a reputation beyond repute

Jen was really an underachiever. If she had her shit together in 90s she would've had more than 3 slams. I think Maria is just the opposite: an overachiever.
But at the end of her career, Maria will probably have more slams than Jen and thus will be considered the greater player. Sad but true.
Lindsay Davenport: Always my #1 Girl
GrandSlam05 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #6
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

As of today, J Cap.

When its all over, things look good for Maria.
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #7
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova. Hate to say it. Capriati could have been an all-time great. IMHO, the pressure of trying to please her family was just too much for her. The poster-girl for why the age-eligibility rules are a good idea. Even if Sharapova retired tomorrow, she rates a slight edge.

Sharapova has won 19 tournaments playing 362 matches.
Sharapova has won 14 tournaments playing 606 matches.

Career winning percentage Sharapova 81%, Capriati 71%

I know Capriati's career is something of a unique case. Much the same could be said for the careers of Maureen Connolly, Althea Gibson and Monica Seles. You tell me how to quantify that.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #8
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Who was the better player in terms of game? quality? I think Jen was. Like Volcana says, it's a weird case where most of her career was cut short, all that talent practically wasted for years.

Anyway, all we have are results and Sharapova clearly has the advantage there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #9
country flag Dav, Seles

Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice Dav, Seles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geisha View Post
Jennifer, but not by much.

Capriati played through some of the toughest competition ever in the early 1990s with Seles and Graf, and in the 2000s with Serena, Venus, and others. Sharapova's results in recent years are extremely impressive, but I think Capriati's consistency at the big events are also undervalued.
I agree. Also, Jen has the biggest thing next to the Slams as well, Olympic Gold.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #10
country flag GrafMariaPetraK
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of GrafMariaPetraK has much to be proud of

Quote:
Jen was really an underachiever. If she had her shit together in 90s she would've had more than 3 slams. I think Maria is just the opposite: an overachiever.
But at the end of her career, Maria will probably have more slams than Jen and thus will be considered the greater player. Sad but true.
Quote:
Who was the better player in terms of game? quality? I think Jen was. Like Volcana says, it's a weird case where most of her career was cut short, all that talent practically wasted for years.

Anyway, all we have are results and Sharapova clearly has the advantage there.
People never wanna admit that Maria's got talent and how is she an overachiever
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #11
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafsharapovakim View Post
People never wanna admit that Maria's got talent and how is she an overachiever
Sharapova has LOADS of talent and she is not an overachiever in my eyes. However, Capriati had more. Much like Tracy Austin should have had more than 2 IMO.. Seles should have had more slams and Capriati should have had more. She was very very very talented

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #12
country flag Svetlana.

Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute

What the point of this thread? How can someone compare a 20 year old girl to someone who's already finished the career? Let's come back to this question at least in 10 years from now.
Svetlana. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #13
country flag Wannabeknowitall

Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute

They both have three slams.
Sharapova has them on three different surfaces (four surface slam finals plexicushion, rebound ace, decoturf 2, grass).

For me the edge goes to Capriati for winning the Olympic gold against Steffi Graf in Barcelona.

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline View My Blog!  
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #14
country flag Dav, Seles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
They both have three slams.
Sharapova has them on three different surfaces (four surface slam finals plexicushion, rebound ace, decoturf 2, grass).

For me the edge goes to Capriati for winning the Olympic gold against Steffi Graf in Barcelona.
Good post.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #15
country flag Serge007

Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold

another stupid thread about Sharapova. Is she retired?
Serge007 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread