Ana Ivanovic nominated for 2008 Women of Courage Award by the U.S. State Department - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
country flag Slavko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice
Ana Ivanovic nominated for 2008 Women of Courage Award by the U.S. State Department

Good day people! The U.S. Department has nominated Ana Ivanovic for the 2008 Women of Courage Award!

I've added the announcement and link:

America.gov

17 April 2008

Beautiful Tennis Sensation Is Also a Philanthropist
UNICEF Ambassador Ana Ivanovic is committed to the rights of children

By Jane Morse
Staff Writer

Washington -- Search the Internet and you will find hundreds of photos of the beautiful Ana Ivanovic. But it takes a little more digging to discover that this 20-year-old tennis superstar from Serbia is a philanthropist as well.

In 2007 Ivanovic accepted the post of national ambassador for UNICEF to her homeland. In this post, she serves as an advocate for children’s rights, especially in education and child protection.

One of her first acts as UNICEF ambassador was to fund the School without Violence Program in three additional schools in Serbia. Launched by UNICEF in 2003, the program educates children, teachers, parents and the broader community in Serbia about the problem of intolerance, violence and harassment in schools. UNICEF, in partnership with various departments in the Serbian government, is working to implement this novel program in more than 50 schools throughout the country.

In announcing her financial donation, Ivanovic said, “I will give my contribution and hope that it will add up to the positive changes that are occurring for children in Serbia.”

This talented athlete, now the sixth-ranked female player in the world, first picked up a tennis racket at the age of 5 after watching the game on television. Inspired by Monica Seles of Yugoslavia, who then held the world’s Number 1 position in tennis, Ivanovic started out practicing in a swimming pool.

“It was a club where they had an Olympic pool, but it was very expensive to keep it warm during the winter and not many people were using it,” Ivanovic explained. “So they emptied the pool and put a carpet inside and placed two tennis courts in it. It was impossible to play cross court because you were so close to the wall, and we had to keep playing down the lines."

Born the year that Slobodan Milosevic came to power and began Serbia’s descent into pariah status, Ivanovic now provides a shining example of professional excellence and dedicated service to young Serbs. For this reason, she was nominated for the U.S. Secretary of State’s 2008 Women of Courage Award. The award, inaugurated in 2007, is the result of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s desire to recognize exceptional women around the globe.

America.gov link

This nomination is better than when I hinted for a meeting of the 2006 US Open Series Champion, Ana Ivanovic, and the then [2006] U.S. Ambassador to Serbia, during a State Department live internet web chat.

12:52PM Edit: Here is the link to the active GM thread of the above post

Last edited by Slavko : Apr 19th, 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added GM thread link
Slavko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
country flag ezekiel

ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ana Ivanovic nominated for 2008 Women of Courage Award by the U.S. State Departme

what a bullshit
ezekiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #3
country flag Slavko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice Slavko is just really nice
Re: Ana Ivanovic nominated for 2008 Women of Courage Award by the U.S. State Departme

This just appeared on Ana's web site:

Ana nominated for U.S. State Department award
April 19, 2008 /

The U.S. State Department has nominated Ana for its 2008 International Women of Courage Award. The accolade was created by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in order to recognise exceptional women around the globe.

"This is a big surprise," said Ana. "It's a great honour and I'd like to thank them for paying me such a great compliment like this."

In addition to reaching No.2 in the world rankings and finishing runner-up at two Grand Slams, in the past year Ana became a UNICEF ambassador for Serbia. Since her inauguration in September 2007 she has not only donated a considerable sum that has enabled 15 schools to join the "Schools Without Violence" programme, she has raised awareness about child safety through her off-court activities, which included writing a newspaper column that benefited UNICEF during the Australian Open.

The nomination is the latest in a long line of honours bestowed upon the 20-year-old in recent weeks. Last month she scooped the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's 2007 Karen Krantzcke Sponsmanship award and was simultaneously named the 2007 Most Improved Player.

Last week a postage stamp bearing her image was released in Serbia, while 2008 began with Ana being named the best-looking player in the history of tennis by The Age newspaper in Australia.

Link to the above article.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #4
country flag ezekiel

ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute ezekiel has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Ana Ivanovic nominated for 2008 Women of Courage Award by the U.S. State Departme

if she accepts this bullshit she will lose me as a fan , this is no "award" but an insult to serbian people , she needs to know american government doesn't care about women's rights and least of all serbian rigths so she needs to use this to expose them
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #5
country flag Slavko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
if she accepts this bullshit she will lose me as a fan , this is no "award" but an insult to serbian people , she needs to know american government doesn't care about women's rights and least of all serbian rigths so she needs to use this to expose them

Ana has made her commitment to Serbia’s children and not the commitment of the Serbian government of which they were elected and paid to expose any and all wrongdoing towards the Serbian people. You are insulting Ana, her commitment and all those people that want change in the U.S. State Department.

I leave you with Ana’s reaction:

"This is a big surprise," said Ana. "It's a great honour and I'd like to thank them for paying me such a great compliment like this."
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #6
country flag cocco80

cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
really? I'm serbian and not insulted by this at all.
Why so much hate?
cocco80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #7
country flag jonnyroyale_13

jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future jonnyroyale_13 has a brilliant future

You dont do the work Ana does offcourt to be recognized, but the recognition is well deserved.
Ana!
jonnyroyale_13 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #8
country flag ezekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavko View Post
Ana has made her commitment to Serbia’s children and not the commitment of the Serbian government of which they were elected and paid to expose any and all wrongdoing towards the Serbian people. You are insulting Ana, her commitment and all those people that want change in the U.S. State Department.

I leave you with Ana’s reaction:

and you are american spokesman or what

This is no honour but an insult similar to being honoured by Adolf Hitler at Berlin Olympics for . This is simply a way for American government to soothe up and cover up their criminality in regards to Serbia and serbian people.
May I remind you that American government led by Rice just proclaimed and financed an independent "kosovo" on serbian land in contravention of every law imaginable and that they have bombed and sanctioned Serbia to do that . They have also recently financed to give weapons to those albanian occupiers to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. And now they make believe that they care for "women's rights" and "violence" , yeah right so did Hitler and look how he ended up
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #9
country flag ezekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco80 View Post
really? I'm serbian and not insulted by this at all.
Why so much hate?
The only hater is Rice and american government and they should be concerned with their future instead of giving meaningless "awards" that only showcase their arrogance and hypocrisy
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM   #10
country flag ezekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyroyale_13 View Post
You dont do the work Ana does offcourt to be recognized, but the recognition is well deserved.
Ana!
American government also thinks bloody killers like hashim thaqi and agim ceku are respected and recognized so it's a terrible surrounding
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM   #11
country flag cocco80

cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute cocco80 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
American government also thinks bloody killers like hashim thaqi and agim ceku are respected and recognized so it's a terrible surrounding
Excuse me, but you sound like serbian government (during Milosevic era) didn't do anything wrong in previous wars (in croatia, bosnia and kosovo). What do you think our paramilitary troops were doing there? What about Arkan and his 'White Tiger' militias? Get a grip.
I don't agree with American foreign policy and I'm not trying to justify what they are doing but please don't act like we are some kind of angels who didn't brought all of this on ourselves.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #12
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
please don't act like we are some kind of angels who didn't brought all of this on ourselves.
it's nice that you acknowledge crimes of serbian politicians, military and para-military groups as everyone should. saying that they themselves single-handedly brought all that serbian people had to go through on serbs is going too far though. some american allies have done far worse things. hell, american government is doing awful things as we speak/post. are they being punished by sanctions and bombing? no. because the international system is still about who's more powerful and about geo-political interests of the elites in individual countries (which often go against the vital interests of their own populations in general). it is a pinnacle of hipocrisy that the government of george "abu guantánamo" bush is giving away any awards for human rights. i also feel true human rights activists should reject it (i certainly would). but having said that, being nominated for this award is a sort of recognition. some people in the american political establishment do believe in human rights, even as their own leadership is violating them.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM   #13
country flag cocco80

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdaja View Post
it's nice that you acknowledge crimes of serbian politicians, military and para-military groups as everyone should. saying that they themselves single-handedly brought all that serbian people had to go through on serbs is going too far though. some american allies have done far worse things. hell, american government is doing awful things as we speak/post. are they being punished by sanctions and bombing? no. because the international system is still about who's more powerful and about geo-political interests of the elites in individual countries (which often go against the vital interests of their own populations in general). it is a pinnacle of hipocrisy that the government of george "abu guantánamo" bush is giving away any awards for human rights. i also feel true human rights activists should reject it (i certainly would). but having said that, being nominated for this award is a sort of recognition. some people in the american political establishment do believe in human rights, even as their own leadership is violating them.

Well, I agree with your point regarding american foreign policy as I already stated. But the thing is that things can be seen from different perspectives. I'm annoyed with all this serbian playing-all-innocent crap (since I'm Serbian I feel disgusted by war crimes that were, in some way, commited in my name as well. I feel that burden and I really think we should first come clean with ourselves and mistakes we have done. I was speaking in the name of someone who has position of 'the insider'.
That doesn't mean I'm pro American nor that I'm justifying american troops camping all over the world imposing their (questionable) morality which screams hypocrisy. We're on the same page.
I was just reacting to that "serbian victim discourse" which makes me sick. I wasn't looking at the big picture because there wasn't need for that in this case.
I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited by cocco80 : Apr 23rd, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #14
country flag azdaja

azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute azdaja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, I agree with your point regarding american foreign policy as I already stated. But the thing is that things can be seen from different perspectives. I'm annoyed with all this serbian playing-all-innocent crap (since I'm Serbian I feel disgusted by war crimes that were, in some way, commited in my name as well. I feel that burden and I really think we should first come clean with ourselves and mistakes we have done. I was speaking in the name of someone who has position of 'the insider'.
That doesn't mean I'm pro American nor that I'm justifying american troops camping all over the world imposing their (questionable) morality which screams hypocrisy. We're on the same page.
I was just reacting to that "serbian victim discourse" which makes me sick. I wasn't looking at the big picture because there wasn't need for that in this case.
I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.
oh, i do, and you are doing the right thing as a serbian citizen. it's just that i feel your cause would be helped if serbia were treated really fairly because as long as that isn't happening many serbs will feel victimised and they will have a justification that is as real as war crimes commited in their name. small countries often have difficulties putting their house in order because of some decisions more powerful countries make. and there are many people who would blame serbia even for male pattern baldness in the balkans. i remember serbian president said something similar to a spanish newspaper a couple of months ago when asked why serbia still hasn't experienced catharsis. he said something along the lines of that serbs do acknowledge their compatriots did some terrible things, but refuse to accept that they are the ultimate villains. rightly so because that's more than just a little bit divorced from reality.

so, that's where i'm coming from it's actually the same position as yours, except that you are seeing things as an insider, as you said.

let's just see this as a well-deserved recognition of ana's work.
azdaja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #15
country flag cocco80

I agree with all you said.

Quote:
let's just see this as a well-deserved recognition of ana's work.
exactly.