The Discovery Thread - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:29 AM   #106
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Discovery Thread - Australia qualifies for Junior Fed Cup World Finals!!

Well done to our girls
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:52 AM   #107
country flag Daniel K

Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Discovery Thread - Australia qualifies for Junior Fed Cup World Finals!!

Just read Sarah Tomic (sister of Bernard) has received a $65,000 scholarship to Nick Bollitieri's academy. She's only 10 years old but if she's anywhere near as talented as her brother she'll definitely be one to look out for in years to come.
Daniel K is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:56 AM   #108
country flag Daniel K

Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute Daniel K has a reputation beyond repute

David Lewis

February 2nd, 2009

WITH a cheeky smile and a wide-eyed innocence Sarah Tomic -- 10-year-old sister of new Aussie teenage tennis sensation Bernard -- yesterday stared into a crystal tennis ball and predicted she will be No.1 in the world.

Inspired by the deeds of her 16-year-old brother, who became a prime time prince at the Australian Open last week as he surged into the second round, the latest product of the Tomic tennis factory sees no boundaries to her ambition.

Ranked No.1 in Australia for her age, the big-hitting, serve-volleying state representative is -- according to father and mentor John Tomic -- already better than her brother was at the same age.

Not bad for a girl who only picked up a racquet with anything more than a passing interest two years ago.

Surrounded by a clutch of trophies and medals at the family's home at Southport, the dewy-skinned demon with forehands and drop shots in her genes didn't flinch when asked if she would make it to the top spot one day.

"That's my plan," said Sarah, who turns 11 next Thursday, with a motorised scooter top of her wish list.

"I think I'll be No.1 for sure. I love the game now, it's how I want to live in the future.

"My brother has been a big support for me, just like my dad. I admire Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena).

"I'm so happy to be the little sister of Bernard, he looks after me, although he can be very cheeky at times."

Proud father John, who brought his family to the Gold Coast via Germany as refugees from upheaval in the Balkans 13 years ago, claims Sarah has all the ingredients to ride the same elevator that has carried Bernard into Davis Cup calculations and the conscious of a public yearning for a successor to a fading Lleyton Hewitt.

"She hits the ball hard, loves to come to the net and is already playing and beating some girls two years her senior," said her doting dad, who so far has poured most of his energy into Bernard.

"She plays a lot like Bernard. She has got very good touch. She is definitely better now than Bernard was when he was 10.

"She's played school tournaments in Newcastle, Rockhampton, Sydney, Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast and watch out for her in five years or so.

"She has a better volley and serve than Bernard and is technically more gifted.

"She has a natural understanding of the game and just needs to work on her fitness."

Tennis Gold Coast tournament director Wayne Hawker, who barely missed a beat of Bernard's rise from the grassroots at Queens Park Tennis Club, sees many of the same characteristics in Tomic's sister.

"She played at state and now national level and has done really well on the junior masters circuit," he said.

"She has a real grit, a very good temperament and I see no reason why she shouldn't do exceptionally well if she continues along the path she's on now."

The Tomic clan will head overseas to base themselves either in Florida or London at the end of next month in the next phase of the career of Bernard, who is now ranked 560 in the world and aiming to crack the top 50 within two years.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...ast-sport.html
Daniel K is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:07 AM   #109
Golovinjured.

Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute Golovinjured. has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they don't become americans
Golovinjured. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:55 AM   #110
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

Richard Williams #2 ?

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM   #111
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

No way they will become American citizens.
This is the best move they can make. I recently read that they were relocating to Bolleteri's.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #112
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Well all the best to her, only time will tell whether she's a success or not.

But training at Bollitieri's Academy no doubt in my mind is a good stepping stone for her to adapt to good competition overseas - if she can pull it off.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #113
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

Our two best juniors 15 and under, Rajicic and Polak are on show this week. Rajicic got an md wc into Ipswich, but Polak got in the hard way crushing Nowicki, before beating Olivia Rich in straights. Impressive from Molly so far...
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #114
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

I am removing Rajicic from this thread because I just created a new thread for her...
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #115
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Discovery Thread - Unearthing Generation Next

Wasnt sure where to post this.
Junior Fed Cup RR match 1
Slovak Republik(2) def Australia 2-1

Juhaszova def Polak 64 67(6) 63
Rajicic def Cepelova 62 62
Juhaszova/Skamlova def Rajicic/Nancarrow 26 63 63

Good effort from all the aussie girls who were unlucky not to scrape out a win. Never heard of any of the opposing players but considering they are the 2nd seeds they must be pretty good.
It wil be hard for the girls to qualify now but they are still in with a chance.
The boys won their tie 3-0.

Jarmila Gajdosova, Ash Barty, Olivia Rogowska, Abbie Myers

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kristina Mladenovic, Sabine Lisicki

Last edited by jack21 : Sep 30th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
jack21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #116
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

Also:
Junior ITF-NZ
Final: Myers def Nathalia 62 64

Abbie also won the doubles title with nicole Hoynaski. Would have prefered that Abbie was in Mexico with the fed cup team instead of Alex but this is still a good result.
Nathalia also seems to be a talented young player as she handed out a couple of double baggles on her way to the final and took out second seed Beattie in straight sets.

Both girls are through to the third round in another NZ ITF this week and they will probably meet again in the final.
Also can i just say how releived I am that NSW finally has some decent young players coming through.

Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM   #117
country flag jack21

Junior Fed Cup

Canada(7) def Australia 2-1
Abanda def Polak 62 63
Bouchard def Rajicic 61 67(6) 64
Polak/Nancarrow def Abanda/Bouchard 62 67(3) 64

This loss ends the girls hope of reaching the semifinals. Another tie that they were unlucky not to scrape through. The upside is that our team is very young and both molly and viktorija will play next year.

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #118
country flag jack21

Australia are playing off for 11th place in junior fed cup. Not a bad effort considering canada r into the finals.
Abbie Myers won her second straight NZ itf this week beating Nathalia in the final, she also reached the doubles final.

Old Oct 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #119
country flag ozfan44

ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute ozfan44 has a reputation beyond repute

Abbie progressing nicely...........also it was on ta site somewhere that some of the girls had a stomach virus and had to visit hospital in mexico!! shame they are only playing off for 11th when they probably could of been up around 6th or so..
|
And all the other aussie girls
ozfan44 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #120
country flag OZTENNIS

A disappointing week for the Aussie girls.

This has been one of the toughest Junior Fed Cup competitions in recent times. Many of the international teams fielded their best players, which hasn't happened for a considerable time.

We did really well in the group stage considering;
1) We were unseeded
2) Two of the girls had stomach viruses and had to be hospitalised
3) We didn't have our strongest team (why is Nancarrow there )

Viktorija proved once more that she is a world class junior. She upset the Slovak No.1 on the opening day 6-2 6-2. The Slovak No.1 is ranked No.20 on the ITF Junior Rankings and recently made the quarter finals of the US Open Juniors, upsetting Sloane Stephens.

Then on day 2, she pushed Eugiene Bouchard (who Canadian posters rave about) to 6-4 in the third set.

Too bad about both her and Molly getting stomach bugs, and it sounds very serious if they had to be hospitalised. Rajicic tried to play in the 11th/12th playoff overnight but had to retire down 3-5.

Good experience for all, overall...

And BTW, the boys (led by Jason Kubler) won the title for the second time in 3 years
This is the age group that won the World Junior Tennis Competition in 2007.
If Kubler can stay injury free, he is going to be one hell of a player. He will be as good as Tomic, if not better. Mark my words