Update on the Olympics - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #1
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute
Update on the Olympics

Combined two posts into one so here it goes

Olympic Entry List - http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=338416

Second part of the post

Mystery surrounds the prospects of New Zealand being represented at the tennis event of the Beijing Olympics. The media, on behalf of the tennis and sporting public, are becoming increasingly restless as to Marina Erakovic’s Olympic prospects. At a world WTA ranking of 84, and rising, tennis watchers could be excused for thinking that Marina would be a good chance for the world’s major sporting event.

The situation relating to Marina’s chances are as follows:

- With a current ranking of 84, Marina is approximately 67th on the Olympic order of merit. Seventeen of the players above her are from countries with more than four players in contention. (Only four players per country are allowed in the Olympic tennis singles and Russia, for example, have 13 players above Marina). It is also unknown at this stage which of the players above Marina will chose not to play.

- The top 56 are accepted by the ITF on ranking.

- One or two further good results by Marina prior to the June 9 deadline would likely place Marina in the top 56. The June 9 deadline includes the French Open, where Marina will debut this year.

- Even if Marina mkes the top 56 and is accepted by the ITF, and the IOC (International Olympic Committee), there is a chance that the NZOC (New Zealand Olympic Committee would not select Marina and she would not go. This is because the NZOC selection criteria is that a player should be in the top 16 in the ‘Olympic Context’ if they are to be selected.

- Tennis New Zealand is working with the NZOC and asking them to do everything within their powers to enable Marina a passage to Beijing if she makes the ITF and IOC cut-off.

The approach to the NZOC is based on:

- Marina’s rapid rise in 2008 and in fact improving from 160 to 84 in three months. With few points to protect until the Olympic cut-off there is a great chance for further improvement.

- Marina’s two WTA event semi-final results, her third round at the WTA Miami event, her win over Vera Zvonerova and her solid contests with Lindsay Davenport and Venus Williams.

- The fact that tennis is a multi-national sport, with two hundred nations, each with multiple international aspirants, striving for success.

- The fact that the NZOC have made an exception to its selection policy by selecting the Women’s Soccer team for development purposes and an eye toward London 2012.

On behalf of the tennis and sporting public, Tennis NZ will be doing what it can to help Marina’s Beijing cause. The first step however, is a few more good wins and securing a coveted place in that top 56.

Source: Tennisnz.com
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #2
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Update on the Olympics

i hope she makes it
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
i hope she makes it
So do I

Okay well that goes without saying, but if she does then she will become the first kiwi in exactly 20 years to compete in tennis at the Olympics
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #4
country flag Droolv
*shy

Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute Droolv has a reputation beyond repute

Makiri not playing in Beijing?
Droolv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully she can do it
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #6
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget stosur who will be using her injury ranking (44?) to get into the field
Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #7
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Is this going to be the German scandal part II?
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #8
country flag Tripp

Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute

Giving her a WC doesn't sound like a crazy idea to me. Though I doubt the organizers will do it.

Hopefully she'll make it. Too bad she found some form just when the clay season kicked in. I believe that's not her best surface.
Tripp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #9
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Weingärtner and Barna in 2004...

Shouldn't this be in Erakovic's forum though? The thread-title is somewhat misleading as it JUST focuses on her and nobody else. At least edit the title, if possible.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #10
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

Only four players per country are allowed in the Olympic tennis singles and Russia, for example, have 13 players above Marina

Poor Russian girls.

Spain of the WTA.
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #11
country flag austennis

austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future austennis has a brilliant future

What about Molik? her ranking isnt top 56 but shes reigning medalist? will they give her a wildcard?
Kimmy Clijsters
Martina Hingis
Jarmila Groth
Sharapova Dokic Wozniacki Delaqua Molik Kirilenko Dementieva Na Dani Kvitova
austennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #12
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
dont forget stosur who will be using her injury ranking (44?) to get into the field
Thats a good question, which I've sent in an email to ITF (governing body of the Olympics). There is some talk that players may not be able to get into the Olympics off their injury ranking, because otherwise its feared some players close to the cutoff with points to defend would take 3 months out now in order to play at the Olympics based on their injury ranking.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #13
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
Thats a good question, which I've sent in an email to ITF (governing body of the Olympics). There is some talk that players may not be able to get into the Olympics off their injury ranking, because otherwise its feared some players close to the cutoff with points to defend would take 3 months out now in order to play at the Olympics based on their injury ranking.

CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #14
country flag sd3300123

sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold sd3300123 is a splendid one to behold

Yuan Meng ranks #4 in China

Really hope she can make it
sd3300123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #15
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
Aww thanks