What will Maria need to add to her game to nab the French Open title? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute
What will Maria need to add to her game to nab the French Open title?

Based on her performance yesterday -v- D.C., she could def improve her movement, although she actully began to slide a little in the second set.

She would need to keep her service percentage up
Drive all short balls and move forward
A tad more consistancy
Belief

I would love to see her win the French Open, and of course beating Justine enroute would be the icing on the cake.

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of jazar has much to be proud of
Re: What will Maria need to add to her game to nab the French Open title?

slice backhand
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #3
country flag Serge007

Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold Serge007 is a splendid one to behold

just cut UE
Serge007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #4
country flag Aaron.
She's coming for your faves wigs

Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute Aaron. has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to finish the point of early I watched Maria's QF and F and she was still playing like a hardcourt to me Of course she has more firepower and expierence then those other girls so its what got her through

I really wanted to see her play Lindsay...too bad
Aaron. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #5
InsideOut.

InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute InsideOut. has a reputation beyond repute

moonballs
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #6
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

She has the mental toughness to succeed on clay. I don't think her movement will improve that much so she should focus on her strengths. She needs to be more consistent from the back of the court. Perhaps add a bit more height to her strokes and focus more on depth and placement rather than power. This will involve improving her forehand alot. She also needs to work on her transition game and be able to finish points at the net regularly. I think the stuff I just mentioned are more vital than movement. She's never going to be in Henin's league in movement, so she should focus on what she does well.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #7
country flag joćo.
;

joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute joćo. has a reputation beyond repute

Her movement is improving i think so she just needs practice to get around and learn how to be consistent and techniques to play on clay.
joćo. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #8
country flag athake

athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all athake is a name known to all

Sliding right after hitting is not the sliding on clay, if u wanna see the pure sliding watch some more Nadal,Justine,Sveta,Jelena match on red clay.

its better to discuss it after Berlin, that green fake clay thing which's invented for US hardcourters means nothing for RG...

When i saw her first at wimby 2001, i said "yeah this big hearted tiny girl's my girl"

-Panta Rhei- -Philistines-
athake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #9
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge007 View Post
just cut UE
That's a big part of it. She can't control points from the baseline as easily as on hardcourt.
She has to play steadier, then when she attacks, she has to finish it quick, and not hit 5 or 6 aggressive shots to win one point.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #10
QUEENLINDSAY

QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future

I really think movement is not a factor for her to win RG. Mary Pierce won it with power tennis and Lindsay beat a good mover like Clijsters at RG too.
What she needs to do is try to have more variety with her shots. She needs to add more slices and topspins instead of a hardcourt tennis ball bashing from side to side. She can use ball bashing side to side but she needs to aim for the lines consistently to be effective. I said consistently. Also she needs patience to look for opportunity for winners and not try to convert everything into a winner shots.
All being said, she won't win RG. well not with her current game.

Monica,Kim,Jelena
QUEENLINDSAY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #11
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FOREHAND View Post
Based on her performance yesterday -v- D.C., she could def improve her movement, although she actully began to slide a little in the second set.

She would need to keep her service percentage up
Drive all short balls and move forward
A tad more consistancy
Belief

I would love to see her win the French Open, and of course beating Justine enroute would be the icing on the cake.
I don´t really buy this "Drive all short balls and move forward", even Maria said something similar yesterday, just the imagination of having Sharapova at the net on clay it´s really ridiculous. She does not even have a great volley to start up with.

Still Sharapova´s best weapons on clay are her groundstrokes and her desire, she has that mental attitude and she will never give up, similar to what Seles had (eventhough Seles was way better on clay and used more topspin and angles than Sharapova).

Not sure if she can win it someday, i just can´t see it happening with Henin around.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #12
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos View Post
I don“t really buy this "Drive all short balls and move forward", even Maria said something similar yesterday, just the imagination of having Sharapova at the net on clay it“s really ridiculous. She does not even have a great volley to start up with.

Still Sharapova“s best weapons on clay are her groundstrokes and her desire, she has that mental attitude and she will never give up, similar to what Seles had (eventhough Seles was way better on clay and used more topspin and angles than Sharapova).

Not sure if she can win it someday, i just can“t see it happening with Henin around.
I agree. Moving foward constantly on clay doesn't really work for Venus, why would it work for Sharapova?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #13
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENLINDSAY View Post
I really think movement is not a factor for her to win RG. Mary Pierce won it with power tennis and Lindsay beat a good mover like Clijsters at RG too.
What she needs to do is try to have more variety with her shots. She needs to add more slices and topspins instead of a hardcourt tennis ball bashing from side to side. She can use ball bashing side to side but she needs to aim for the lines consistently to be effective. I said consistently. Also she needs patience to look for opportunity for winners and not try to convert everything into a winner shots.
All being said, she won't win RG. well not with her current game.
Clijsters was not a typical clay courter either. Movement and clay are surely a problem for Maria.

Having a variety game of topspin and slice does not necesarily is a guarantee for sucess on clay. Remmember that those kind of shots are variety shots and you usually employ them while being on defensive positions, and i´m sure that Sharapova won´t win an important clay court title by playing defensive, varied tennis.

She has to do it by dominating from the first shot, by having her oponnent on the move.
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Sabatini lover Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenavee View Post
I agree. Moving foward constantly on clay doesn't really work for Venus, why would it work for Sharapova?
And Venus is way better at the net also, not only by execution but also on how to cover the net. Sharapova is really hopeless up there, she can only go there when the point is almost over.
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Head to Head
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #15
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

I thought her coach gave her good advice telling her to return more balls up the middle. It had the effect of throwing her opponent with the quick movements off her patterns, and allowed maria to survive points longer to win long rallies---because when she finally gets the chance to drive it somewhere else, she often succeeds.

Keep playing matches---keep learning tiny little things which can make the difference.
nelsondan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote