In response to Lindsay withdrawing - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1
country flag usher3103

usher3103 has disabled reputation
In response to Lindsay withdrawing

before the match and the idea that tennis needs to be more business like in its approach. How would people feel if the player who lost in the round before, to the the player who withdrew, in this case would be Agnes Szavay, playing Sharapova in the semis. I am not promoting this idea am just wondering how people would react and make the fans feel more like they are getting there moneys worth. This would only work if a player withdrew before a match, not like they retired through the warm up or match. Only in response to walkovers.
usher3103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #2
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Re: In response to Lindsay withdrawing

I've often thought this wouldn't be a bad idea, from the fans' point of view. But players often leave the site of a tournament once they've lost, so they probably wouldn't want to hang around for a day or two longer on the offchance that they might get a 'second chance'.
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #3
country flag Jachal

Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all Jachal is a name known to all

I would go with that!
In the YEC players also do lose matches and somehow manage to come through, so why not do it in other tournaments, 'coz the fans are really missing out on tennis and they don't get the money back.

The only question is - should they get the full amount of ranking points?
Jachal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #4
country flag Lapin

Lapin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by usher3103 View Post
before the match and the idea that tennis needs to be more business like in its approach. How would people feel if the player who lost in the round before, to the the player who withdrew, in this case would be Agnes Szavay, playing Sharapova in the semis. I am not promoting this idea am just wondering how people would react and make the fans feel more like they are getting there moneys worth. This would only work if a player withdrew before a match, not like they retired through the warm up or match. Only in response to walkovers.
I think it would be a good idea but maybe they should adjust how many ranking points could be won if that player went on to win the next round, having already lost in the previous one! IMHO it would certainly be much better for the fans and the tournament to implement something like this.

2003 - Fed Cup Champion!!

2004 - WTA Ranked Number One!!

2005 - YEC Champion!!

2006 - Australian Open Grand Slam Champion!!

2006 Wimbledon Champion!!
and No.1 again!!
Lapin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #5
country flag toasino

toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice toasino is just really nice

Good idea! Also, the winner of the other match would not be at a disadvantage because Maria had a day off.
toasino is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #6
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin View Post
I think it would be a good idea but maybe they should adjust how many ranking points could be won if that player went on to win the next round, having already lost in the previous one! IMHO it would certainly be much better for the fans and the tournament to implement something like this.

I agree, I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as the ranking points earned and prize money awarded was altered. However I might change my mind if players I didn't like were given second chances!!! It would be better for the fans though, to get as much tennis as possible for their money.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #7
country flag exposbabe

exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of exposbabe has much to be proud of

ESPN is sitting there saying: "You ask us why we don't spotlight women's tennis more often? Here's why, right here."

I just don't think in a men's match, it would have happened. The guy would have gone on court, even if he knew he'd get his butt kicked."
exposbabe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8
country flag Mileen

Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jachal View Post
I would go with that!
In the YEC players also do lose matches and somehow manage to come through, so why not do it in other tournaments, 'coz the fans are really missing out on tennis and they don't get the money back.

The only question is - should they get the full amount of ranking points?
only if they win their next match, like with LL is the case. In this case, if Agnes would win the final, then yes, she gets the winner's points. If she loses the final, she only gets SF-points, cause she didn't reach the final on her own.
I think it's a pretty good idea to let them play the 'next' match! It's like being a LL in a later round. The same principal.

* Patty Schnyder * Dinara Safina * Elena Dementieva * Vika Azarenka * Katarina Srebotnik * Dominica Cibulkova * Ashley Harkleroad * Sabine Lisicki * Nicole Vaidisova * Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova * Sesil Karatantcheva *
Mileen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #9
country flag Mileen

Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposbabe View Post
ESPN is sitting there saying: "You ask us why we don't spotlight women's tennis more often? Here's why, right here."

I just don't think in a men's match, it would have happened. The guy would have gone on court, even if he knew he'd get his butt kicked."
But Lindsay felt dizzy, feeling dizzy you can't go on court.
ESPN might think that way, but they're wrong, the other SF should be interesting. I think it's a shame they aren't showing the match.
Remember more than a year back or so, Lindsay was having dizziness problems too, she fell on her head, didn't she, out of her bed? Some Lindsay fan knows how that ended? We never heard from it again.
Lindsay, , get well soon.

* Patty Schnyder * Dinara Safina * Elena Dementieva * Vika Azarenka * Katarina Srebotnik * Dominica Cibulkova * Ashley Harkleroad * Sabine Lisicki * Nicole Vaidisova * Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova * Sesil Karatantcheva *
Mileen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #10
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds good but it wouldn't work. It would be unfair on Sharapova. It's not her fault Lindsay is ill, and she would have prepared to play Lindsay, not Agnes. Sharapova shouldn't be made to play the SF if her opponent cannot. But I do think she should spend more time with the fans doing autographs etc. because she doesn't have to play a match.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #11
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin View Post
I think it would be a good idea but maybe they should adjust how many ranking points could be won if that player went on to win the next round, having already lost in the previous one!
I think, it can be simple, the LL does not get points&money for the lost match/round.
Hakapeszi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #12
country flag Hakapeszi

Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future Hakapeszi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
I've often thought this wouldn't be a bad idea, from the fans' point of view. But players often leave the site of a tournament once they've lost, so they probably wouldn't want to hang around for a day or two longer on the offchance that they might get a 'second chance'.
I guess, if will be a new LL rule, then players will have spare time to stay one more day more frequently.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #13
country flag Hakapeszi

Quote:
Motto: The show must go on
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #14
country flag roxi

roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future roxi has a brilliant future

Linds you've beaten K-lina and Agnes on clay u surely could have beaten Maria!!!!! I'm so sad!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #15
country flag spiritedenergy

spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

She's really badrepping the whole WTA with her stupid moons. I'm very much dissappointed by her unprofessional behavior.