So far this year, what are the teams that impressed you? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #1
country flag stefi62

stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute
So far this year, what are the teams that impressed you?

Obviously, to me, my favs, despite not having the same start of the year as last year, are having quite a nice start. We'll see how they can deal with their least favorite surface, clay.

I also appreciated a lot several teams with Vladka Uhlirova: Hrdinova/Uhlirova in Paris, Shvedova/Uhlirova in Antwerp, Koryttseva/Uhlirova in IW and Miami and now Mattek/Uhlirova. I like Uhlirova's sharpness at the net, and she is improving match after match.

Also Sugiyama and Srebotnik are a great team together, they seem to have fun oncourt, take doubles as a recreation from singles, and don't seem too tired from being at the same time in main draw in singles and doubles.

Peschke and Stubbs play well, but to me there is no harmony, Rennae like always being very hard on poor Kveta. The opponents probably noticed that, and seem to try to target Kveta on her weaknesses to at the same time upset Rennae. Which seems to work most of the time.

The Bond sisters had a great start in Australia and then Paris, but they really don't seem to get along on court. In Miami, I saw them play, and after a long rally, a rally lead by Katya, she touched the ball like 10 times, 3 or 4 times at net in reflexes, and got the point. She was all smile, the crowd (actually at the max 10 people) was applauding her on great effort, and she turned to her sister. Alona only looked at her and said "the ball was out the second time you took it, you should have left it!" and that's all! No congrats, no well done, just reproach... I don't believe they'll keep going that well for the rest of the year.

Peng and Sun seem to count too much on Peng's great tight shots, and once the ball is curved, they seem at a loss and make unforced errors. Sun can also do great at the net tough, I think they'll have a fair year, with quarters or semis in Slams.

I'm a little disappointed by Chan and Chuang so far. But let's wait and see, Chan is so wise on court...

Other one time teams that got my interest are Pennetta/Schiavo (but I got disappointed by their match in Miami, no real harmony) and Hendler/Vaidisova.

What are your choices?

Chanelle Scheepers - Abigail Spears - Vladka Uhlirova - Mervana Jugic-Salkic - Francesca Schiavone -Tsvetana Pironkova - Lisa Raymond - Sophie Lefèvre...
stefi62 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #2
country flag IanRadi
Winter is coming.

IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So far this year, what are the teams that impressed you?

If we talk about "impressions" I couldn't choose my favourites because I know how much they can do every week, especially Sugiyama/Srebotnik.

Personally, I'm a bit impressed with Peng/Sun (despite they lost this week against Dechnessy). Uhlirova/Koryttseva really impressed me during the American hardcourts season this year too.

Last edited by IanRadi : Apr 12th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.
IanRadi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
country flag justine schnyder

justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute justine schnyder has a reputation beyond repute

Sugi/Kata and Peer and Azarenka also surpirsed me

Official Trainer of the Jelena Clinic

http://i52.tinypic.com/2zxmlab.png
justine schnyder is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #4
country flag Medina

Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute Medina has a reputation beyond repute

Peer/Azarenka especialy impressed me. I never saw either of them being a doubles comobination. Nor even double players.

Sugi/Kata also.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #5
country flag AJZ.

AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute AJZ. has a reputation beyond repute

I think Peer & Azarenka kind of came out of nowhere to form a good team.

I think Ai & Kata have done very well this year, apart from a weak start in Sydney & Melbourne. They reached two semifinals and won Miami, I think this year they'll soar to new highs

And Zi & Jie have really impressed me considering Jie is just coming back. They nearly won it in Melbourne and haven't disappointed beyond that

Chan & Chuang have been a tad disappointing.

Ai Sugiyama. Jie Zheng. Zi Yan. Tamira Paszek.
Yaroslava Shvedova. Nuria&MariaJose. Yung-Jan Chan. Elena Vesnina. Flavia Pennetta.
AJZ. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #6
country flag Ellery
It's like cool epilepsy.

Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute

Alona and Katya have obviously been impressive, coming from absolutely nowhere to win a Slam, and then a tier II. However, their attitude on court doesn't impress me at all

I think Zi and Jie have had a year, given it's Jie's comeback year.

Vika and Shahar have also been very impressive, although they've only had 2 tournaments together, I believe.
Ellery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #7
country flag andrewC

andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future

Uhlirova in all her teams has been great, and kveta and rennae are doing pretty well too. Sun/Peng winning in Bangalore was a highlight for me too
13 Doubles Titles (including 2004 Olympic Gold and 2008 AO Mixed)
Career High 77 (Singles) and 16 (Doubles)
andrewC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #8
country flag Lunaris
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute

Sugiyama/Srebotnik seem to work very well together. I choose them.
Lunaris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #9
country flag starin

starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute starin has a reputation beyond repute

Team Williams

although mostly they've been owned by the chinese girls this year. I'm hoping they take home olympic gold beating all Chinese Players and Bondarenko sisters in the finals
starin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #10
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

i am pleased with the success the bondy sisters have had. doubles is their 2nd choice if that makes sense, so to win the oz open and paris is just greeat. i hope they continue to do well together and make the YEC together. plus alona is hot.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #11
country flag Sammy 4 eva!!!
GA GA OOH LA LA.

Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute

Azarenka/Peer. They work well as a team and seem to get along.

◊ Casey Dellacqua ◊ Olivia Rogowska ◊ Monika Wejnert ◊ Jelena Dokic ◊
◊ Laura Robson ◊ Sabine Lisicki ◊ Timea Bacsinszky ◊ Dinara Safina ◊
Sammy 4 eva!!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #12
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline, as a doubles player has really impressed me from HONG KONG to her latest tournament with Akgul.

She seems to be having fun and she is a very good doubles player.
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #13
country flag robbie12

robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all robbie12 is a name known to all

I would say Srebotnik/Sugiyama especially after they won Miami. Peschke/Stubss have also done well. The Bondarenkos have been the biggest surprise although their results do seem to be tailing off a bit.

In terms of let-downs, Black/Huber, although after their phenomenal season (at least SF in 22 of 23 events), it isn't that surprising. Chan/Chuang are also struggling a bit (again for similar reasons) although if you look at the combined age for the top doubles teams they are by far the youngest. Yan/Zheng had a briliant start but I think Yan is injured(?) which is why they've missed the lastcouple of tourneys.

The next few months could be interesting in terms of the rankings as a few top 20 players who are struggling (Raymond, Stosur, Molik, Santangelo) have a lot of points to defend in the next few months.
robbie12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote