Grand Slam debutantes since the 2005 US Open - Page 18 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 03:24 AM   #256
country flag hellas719

hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute hellas719 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Grand Slam debutantes since the 2005 US Open

Smitkova doing great so far in her debut

Wickmayer. Venus. Ivanovic. Cirstea. Halep.
Azarenka. Krajicek. Flipkens. Pironkova. Begu.
Lisicki. Paszek. Vesnina. Pavlyuchenkova. Cornet.
Stephens. Oudin. King. Vandeweghe. McHale.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
hellas719 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM   #257
country flag outlier

outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of

Very interesting to see that no one who had debuted through a WC has managed to win a slam, EVER. Radwanska's been a runner-up and Pavlyuschenkova/Oudin have been quaterfinalists, the rest (~60 players!) have stuck somewhere between R1-R4.

And what it says? Focus on the last names/origins of these debs. Most of them come from English-speaking countries (China's being represented more and more too despite the level of their tennis) and I doubt there's significantly more registered players than elsewhere.
In other words, it seems that WCs are there to help players from financially interesting markets, not good prospects as one would expect. If this hypothesis isn't right/is falsified, we can still say that the WC holders are not so good prospects after all. I smell something rotten.

Last edited by outlier : Aug 1st, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
outlier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM   #258
country flag janko

janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute janko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
Very interesting to see that no one who had debuted through a WC hasn't managed to win a slam, EVER. Radwanska's been a runner-up and Pavlyuschenkova/Oudin have been quaterfinalists, the rest (~60 players!) have stuck somewhere between R1-R4.

And what it says? Focus on the last names/origins of these debs. Most of them come from English-speaking countries (China's being represented more and more too despite the level of their tennis) and I doubt there's significantly more registered players than elsewhere.
In other words, it seems that WCs are there to help players from financially interesting markets, not good prospects as one would expect. If this hypothesis isn't right/is falsified, we can still say that the WC holders are not so good prospects after all. I smell something rotten.
I get your point, the system may seem unfair. I think AO, FO and USO should at least cancel the reciprocal WCs and award it to junior prospects coached by the ITF team or junior top 10 players, the 16 best ranked players outside the MD could also play a WC play off one week before the QD starts in order to get a direct entrance.

Btw (even if the stats start at USO 2005), 2 players have won a GS in recent history after a WC debut : Marion Bartoli (FO 2001) and Samantha Stosur (AO 2002).
janko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 04:39 PM   #259
country flag Markus

Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of

Thanks for the great work. I think Flipkens need to be updated as she has reached CH Ranking of 13 and a SF in Wimbledon meanwhile:
Old - Flipkens (2R, #20, 4R) - LL
New - Flipkens (2R, #13, SF) - LL
Markus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 04:41 PM   #260
country flag Markus

Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of Markus has much to be proud of

Also Petkovic now with a SF

Old - Petkovic (2R, #9, QF)
New - Petkovic (2R, #9, SF)
Markus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 04:13 AM   #261
country flag ivanxie

ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light ivanxie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko View Post
I get your point, the system may seem unfair. I think AO, FO and USO should at least cancel the reciprocal WCs and award it to junior prospects coached by the ITF team or junior top 10 players, the 16 best ranked players outside the MD could also play a WC play off one week before the QD starts in order to get a direct entrance.

Btw (even if the stats start at USO 2005), 2 players have won a GS in recent history after a WC debut : Marion Bartoli (FO 2001) and Samantha Stosur (AO 2002).
But then again, associations are meant to look out for their countries interests. Also, some juniors really don't do that well after being given umpteen WCs and easy tournaments. (Lertcheewakarn )
ivanxie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #262
country flag Corswandt

Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute Corswandt has a reputation beyond repute

USO 2014 debutantes via MDWC:

Danielle Collins
Catherine Cartan Bellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Thanks for the great work. I think Flipkens need to be updated as she has reached CH Ranking of 13 and a SF in Wimbledon meanwhile:
Old - Flipkens (2R, #20, 4R) - LL
New - Flipkens (2R, #13, SF) - LL
CHR and career best performance at Slams of many players are in need of a general update. I may do one in a week or so, or alternatively wait for the end of the USO.
Corswandt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #263
country flag outlier

outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of outlier has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko View Post
Still, it took Bartoli and Stosur 11 and 9 years, respectively, to win a slam. Other than that, both of them have had pretty mediocre results in majors. Sharapova is afaik the only exception with 5 major titles (2003 WC).

'Success rate' is thus 0 % since 2004 (and ~ 3/60 = 5 % for reaching at least SF, whenever in WC holders' careers and most likely since 2004 as well). That's shamelessly weak.
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 12:56 AM   #264
country flag wozniackiaus

wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future wozniackiaus has a brilliant future

US OPEN 2014 DEBUTANTES
Danielle Collins
Catherine Carten Bellis
Ons Jabeur
Saisai Zheng
Aliaksandra Sasnovich
Francoise Abanda
Qiang Wang

TENNIS TIPPING
SINGLES - RANK: 146 RACE: 130 TITLES: 2014 Prague 100K+H
DOUBLES - RANK: 154 RACE: 67 (w/ the walking bye) TITLES: 2014 Barnstaple 25K (w/ the walking bye)
wozniackiaus is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote