The Best Ladies Doubles Team in the Last 2 Decades? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #1
country flag Dodoboy.

Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute Dodoboy. has a reputation beyond repute
The Best Ladies Doubles Team in the Last 2 Decades?

Nominations please!

I shall get it rolling with WILLIAM SISTERS...Golden Slam
Dodoboy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #2
country flag stefi62

stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Best Ladies Doubles Team in the Last 2 Decades?

Well, who else for me except Cara Black and Liezel Huber?

Chanelle Scheepers - Abigail Spears - Vladka Uhlirova - Mervana Jugic-Salkic - Francesca Schiavone -Tsvetana Pironkova - Lisa Raymond - Sophie Lefèvre...
stefi62 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #3
country flag up!

up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of up! has much to be proud of

Suarez and Ruano Pascual and much better than Black and Huber.
Except Vivi and Paola, nobody couldn't dominate the tour as they did.
Serena and Venus could have but their singles' career are much more important !
Hingis was a great double player but she changed her partners quite often.
up! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #4
country flag Archer16

Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute Archer16 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good point of referance.

Best team in the Open Era is easily Navratilova/Shriver.
Second best, and best since 1990, are Zvereva/Gigi Fernandez. 14 Slams and 39 titles are above and beyond any other team in that time period.
Archer16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #5
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody matches with Gigi Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva. They played only between 1992-1997 and won 14 slams together (every one at least twice).

Novotna and Sanchez-Vicario deserve a nomination purely because they were able to challenge Fernandez/Zvereva (and won 3 slams).

Ruano-Pascual/Suarez aswell, dominating the tour between 2002 and 2005, winning 8 Grand Slams and loads of tour titles.

Raymond/Stubbs dominated the tour for a while aswell.

Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport as individuals are some of the great doubles players in the last 20 years (esp. Hingis with the Grand Slam in 98), but achieved so much success with a variety of different partners it's hard to put one team on it. I think Hingis' best teams were with Novotna and Kournikova and Davenport played best with Zvereva and Novotna, MJ Fernandez.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #6
country flag LegionArgentina

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute

I would said Ruano Pascual and Suarez made a great team together and they where very succeful team,winning a lot of doubles titles together.
But the team Gigi Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva were the greatest of the last two decades.

*Peng*Tanasurgarn*SuarezNavarro*Duarte*Martic*Ryba rikova*
*Irigoyen*Botto*Ormaechea*Pella*Lucero*Pereira*Tow nsend*

*Kurata*Gamiz*Perez*SaiSai Zheng*Errani*Ce*ForetzGacon*
.Podoroska.Bonardi.HaddadMaia.PerezRojas.Gonzalez.
*Furlanetto*Goncalves*Pigossi*AlvarezTeran*DuqueMa rino*
LegionArgentina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #7
country flag IanRadi
Winter is coming.

IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather say that Suarez/Ruano-Pascual are the best doubles team. They were just unbeatable from 2002 to 2005 winning 8 Grand Slams (they were finalists of Roland Garros 6 times in a row -from 2000 to 2005- winning there 4 times), 1 YEC and 32 tour titles

Despite of the titles, I always say that I only saw two pairs having such a fantastic connection on court. I mean, considering the example of Paola and Virginia: they were so good that it was very difficult to understand how to play them which gave them all those titles and all those hours of fun and feelings on court. The other pair that have the same connection is Black/Huber
IanRadi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #8
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

The best would certainly be Navratilova/Shriver. No one else comes close.

The most entertaining would be Zvereva/Fernandez. Again no one comes close. They were the most fun one could have watching tennis. A total delight. Nice too that they are also the 2nd best team of the open era.

Over the last 10 years the best would be Suarez/Ruano-Pascual. Great comradery and a lot of fun too. Very likable team and their record speaks for itself.

Now, I don't think there is one team that stands out although I do admire Zheng and Yan, especially Yan. I would also agree that Cara Black is the best doubles player in the world today and certainly the best volleyer. I always enjoy watching mixed doubles and how the woman stands up to her male opponent is often the biggest test of a women's doubles skills. I remember how impressed I was with Cara when she won the Mixed Wimbledon title in 2004 with her brother Wayne. Cara had a great Wimbledon that year winning her 1st two doubles Slam titles.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Mar 7th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #9
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Venus/Serena, Career Golden Slam

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #10
country flag Sammy 4 eva!!!
GA GA OOH LA LA.

Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute Sammy 4 eva!!! has a reputation beyond repute

Raysur!

◊ Casey Dellacqua ◊ Olivia Rogowska ◊ Monika Wejnert ◊ Jelena Dokic ◊
◊ Laura Robson ◊ Sabine Lisicki ◊ Timea Bacsinszky ◊ Dinara Safina ◊
Sammy 4 eva!!! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #11
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Hingis/Novotna
Drake1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #12
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Hingis/Novotna
Drake1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #13
country flag LegionArgentina

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefi62 View Post
Well, who else for me except Cara Black and Liezel Huber?
As a team,you know that they are not the best doubles team of the last twenty years.
They are great but they not even in the top five of the greatest team of the last two decades.

*Peng*Tanasurgarn*SuarezNavarro*Duarte*Martic*Ryba rikova*
*Irigoyen*Botto*Ormaechea*Pella*Lucero*Pereira*Tow nsend*

*Kurata*Gamiz*Perez*SaiSai Zheng*Errani*Ce*ForetzGacon*
.Podoroska.Bonardi.HaddadMaia.PerezRojas.Gonzalez.
*Furlanetto*Goncalves*Pigossi*AlvarezTeran*DuqueMa rino*
LegionArgentina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #14
country flag stefi62

stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion Argentina View Post
As a team,you know that they are not the best doubles team of the last twenty years.
They are great but they not even in the top five of the greatest team of the last two decades.
Actually, I aknowledge that my reply is biased, partly because I appreciate the girls also outside the court and know their relationship is more than just on court so I consider all aspects, and also and above all because as I said in the introduction thread, I don't have a historical knowledge of doubles: I mean I discovered doubles through Cara and Liezel, have seen a little Yan/Zheng and RaySur play and many other matches in 2007/2008, but have no reference before 2006. I am right now in the process of receiving two Slam finals of 2005, and am really willing to improve my knowledge on the topic, but so far, I cannot tell who is the best of the past 2 decades, cos my view on it does not excede the past two years... but I dream to see a match of Navratilova to understand more...

That said, on court, Cara and Liezel are a very good team. Maybe they do not seem to be very high above all the teams they play, but they play at the level of their opponents and at the right time manage to add a little something that makes the difference. On grass and fast courts, they are probably among the very very best teams of the period of time we're talking about, but I admit on clay and slow surfaces, due to their risky game, they still have a lot of progress to make (despite 1 win in Rome in 2005, semis in Berlin, Rome and RG last year, and final in RG in 2005). But they are working on it and will show, when the time comes, that they truly are a brilliant team.

Chanelle Scheepers - Abigail Spears - Vladka Uhlirova - Mervana Jugic-Salkic - Francesca Schiavone -Tsvetana Pironkova - Lisa Raymond - Sophie Lefèvre...

Last edited by stefi62 : Mar 7th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
stefi62 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #15
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Fernandez/Zvereva