Doubles number one in history of rankings - Liezel now nb1 alone - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1
country flag stefi62

stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Doubles number one in history of rankings - Liezel now nb1 alone

A doubles ranking was created for the first time in 1984, based on the points received for each doubles team in each tournament. Here is a list of all past number one players, ranked following the number of weeks they’ve spent in total at the top (as of April 19th 2010):

* for active players

Chronology

Chanelle Scheepers - Abigail Spears - Vladka Uhlirova - Mervana Jugic-Salkic - Francesca Schiavone -Tsvetana Pironkova - Lisa Raymond - Sophie Lefèvre...

Last edited by stefi62 : Apr 18th, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
stefi62 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
country flag stefi62

stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute stefi62 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Doubles number one in history of rankings

I thought I'd put these stats here, that's the right place now!!!

Chanelle Scheepers - Abigail Spears - Vladka Uhlirova - Mervana Jugic-Salkic - Francesca Schiavone -Tsvetana Pironkova - Lisa Raymond - Sophie Lefèvre...
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #3
country flag stefi62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post
Navratilova Very impressive number.

I've never seen this list before actually. Very interesting.
It's on Notes and netcords actually, on the WTA website : http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/m...esandnetcords/
click on the current edition and you'll find it.
I put it also on Cara and Liezel's site, in the Things to know about doubles part, with other stuff. I find it interesting.

I have also a few other stuff from the 2008 media guide, I thought I'd post a few in the next few days, that's interesting to know those stats.

And yeah, Martina rules!!!

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #4
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame Rennae has only spent 3 weeks as number 1, but she and Lisa were the number 1 team for a couple of years, but it would have been nice for her to spend more time on top of the individual rankings.

This list also shows how much of a legend Natasha is. She won every Grand Slam title at least 3 times with 2 different partners at each. She won a total of 18 grand slam doubles titles and 2 mixed. Her and Gigi alone won 14 slams and a host of tour titles, all between 1992 and 1997.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #5
country flag IanRadi
Winter is coming.

IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefi62 View Post
A doubles ranking was created for the first time in 1984, based on the points received for each doubles team in each tournament. Here is a list of all past number one players, ranked following the number of weeks they’ve spent in total at the top (as of March 3rd):

Rank Name Number of weeks First time
1 Martina Navratilova 237 10 September 1984
2 Natasha Zvereva 124 7 October 1991
3 Lisa Raymond* 117 12 June 2000
4 Arantxa Sanchez Vicario 111 19 October 1992
5 Paola Suarez 87 9 September 2002
6 Gigi Fernandez 80 4 March 1991
7 Helena Sukova 68 5 February 1990
8 Jana Novotna 67 27 August 1990
9 Virginia Ruano Pascual* 65 8 September 2003
10 Samantha Stosur* 61 8 February 2006
11 Cara Black* 53 17 October 2005
12 Pam Shriver 48 18 March 1985
13 Ai Sugiyama* 45 23 October 2000
14 Martina Hingis 35 8 June 1998
15 Lindsay Davenport* 32 20 October 1997
16 Liezel Huber* 17 12 November 2007
17 Julie Halard-Decugis 14 11 September 2000
18 Anna Kournikova 10 22 November 1999
19 Corina Morariu 7 3 April 2000
20 Kim Clijsters 4 4 August 2003
20 Larisa Neiland 4 27 January 1992
22 Rennae Stubbs* 3 21 August 2000

* for active players
I'll always cheer for how great was Paola playing doubles As Liezel said, she was a player that everytime was forcing you to play your best because it's true, she made an awesome team with Vivi. Better said: they were a complement (I mean I don't think they would be that good if they played with other players).
IanRadi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #6
country flag stefi62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian!. View Post
I'll always cheer for how great was Paola playing doubles As Liezel said, she was a player that everytime was forcing you to play your best because it's true, she made an awesome team with Vivi. Better said: they were a complement (I mean I don't think they would be that good if they played with other players).
I see what you mean, I feel the same with Cara and Liezel, their game are so well suited, their lives too... I mean, they're meant to be together, in any way. They're good separately, but together they're the best of the moment, in my opinion. I like the fact they're tied number one, that's the way it is, together, they are. As Paola and Vivi, or Sam and Lisa and before Lisa and Rennae....

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #7
country flag IanRadi
Winter is coming.

IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute IanRadi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see what you mean, I feel the same with Cara and Liezel, their game are so well suited, their lives too... I mean, they're meant to be together, in any way. They're good separately, but together they're the best of the moment, in my opinion. I like the fact they're tied number one, that's the way it is, together, they are. As Paola and Vivi, or Sam and Lisa and before Lisa and Rennae....
Paola said last year (before she retired) that the results weren't the reason she was playing with Virginia, she said that the clue is to have fun on court. You know, enjoying playing with the other person which I agree, I believe it's very difficult to win matches, titles and all that stuff if you're just thinking about the victory and not having fun with your partner.

Btw, wisely words of Paola
IanRadi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #8
country flag markhingis

markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of markhingis has much to be proud of

Quote:

And yeah, Martina rules!!!
I'd say MartinaS rule

Aga Radwańska * MARTA DOMACHOWSKA * Ula Radwańska
Martina Hingis - U R always on my mind
markhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #9
country flag stefi62

Updated today

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #10
country flag *Jool*

*Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian!. View Post
Paola said last year (before she retired) that the results weren't the reason she was playing with Virginia, she said that the clue is to have fun on court. You know, enjoying playing with the other person which I agree, I believe it's very difficult to win matches, titles and all that stuff if you're just thinking about the victory and not having fun with your partner.

Btw, wisely words of Paola
total class
and that's definitely true
I'm glad Kata has the same kind of speech about doubles and playing with Ai

BTW , interesting thread , Stefi

KATA - AMG -
APS

Serena- Garcia- Hercog- KDK- Daniilidou- Puig- Muguruza...

*Jool* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #11
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post
Navratilova Very impressive number.

I've never seen this list before actually. Very interesting.
............and God knows how many more weeks we could add on to that total if rankings had existed from 75 onwards.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #12
country flag stefi62

updated with june 9th rankings

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #13
RND

RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute RND has a reputation beyond repute

Sugiyama the sole Asian.

Yung-Jan Chan ∞ Ayumi Morita Caroline Wozniacki Su-Wei Hsieh
Jelena Jankovic Jie Zheng Tamarine Tanasugarn Jarmila Gajdosova Nadia Petrova
RND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #14
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for updating!

Lindsay about to move down to 16th place
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #15
country flag stefi62

Updated as of July 28th